September Photo-a-day.

Posted by: Copago

September Photo-a-day. - Mon Aug 31 2009 10:28 PM

September already!

CLICK HERE for all the information you need to post in the photo threads!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Aug 31 2009 10:53 PM

The plover who I mentioned in the chain thread.

Posted by: runningbare

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 01 2009 12:53 AM

I Guess this fellow needs no introduction, he was found lurking on a carnaval float in Goring-by-sea.
Posted by: Professer

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 01 2009 01:27 AM

Heavy traffic over Westminister Bridge
Posted by: satguru

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 01 2009 07:07 PM

One of the roads running parallel to where I used to live in Hampstead Garden Suburb with similar art deco houses. Unlike elsewhere these have conservation orders so aren't altered with plastic windows or pebbledashing like the ones on my current estate of similar bungalows. Mine however still looks exactly as it should from the front.

Posted by: spanishliz

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 01 2009 09:22 PM

Just hanging out on the ice boom...

Posted by: Kapuskasing

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 01 2009 09:36 PM

Another summer scene from the Milk House Farm Market...

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 02 2009 01:11 AM

One of the many Theatre Ticket outlets in Leicester Square

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 02 2009 10:04 AM

Lancaster bomber and a Spitfire, flying over Worthing ,West Sussex.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 02 2009 12:49 PM

I remember when most cars looked like this Wolseley, the posh version of the Austin Cambridge. As the only newer one is the Nissan Figaro (now well over 10 years old) I have to make do with these when I see them.

edited car model!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 02 2009 10:06 PM

Here is a now-obsolete memento of the summer of 2009. The U.S. government's official name of the Cash for Clunkers incentive was "CARS" -- short for: Car Allowance Rebate System.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 02 2009 10:40 PM

Nice to see you Kapuskasing!

Today I spent some time sorting photos into the storage box that was a birthday present from my sister.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 03 2009 12:01 AM

Another photo of the Angel of Peace statue, this time from the side
Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 03 2009 09:13 AM

The Ganpati festival just ended today. It usually lasts for 10 days (was 12 this year because it's according to the lunar calendar) and is usually celebrated only in Western India. At the end of the festival, the idols are immersed in the sea.

Posted by: picqero

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 03 2009 11:10 AM

The Farmer's Boy pub in the nearby village of Brickenden.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 03 2009 04:40 PM

I've got lots of storage boxes like that Liz but none with compartments. I'd go out looking now but no actual room for any more boxes.

Here's another straight road from the collection in Wembley, including a ghost that crept in...

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 03 2009 10:14 PM

This plant at Longwood Gardens looks like a Chihuly work, and where did I first learn about Chihuly? Yep, right here in the Photo-a-Day threads!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 04 2009 12:49 AM

St Pauls Cathedrals dome

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 04 2009 02:00 AM

Water Vole, photo was taken by a stream at Arundel castle, West Sussex.
Posted by: The_lioness33

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 04 2009 06:08 AM

A picture from the show today

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 04 2009 09:59 AM

I'd say Chihuly probably took his inspiration from nature rather than the other way round

Here's my local 83 bus on Wembley High Road

Posted by: lilyalli

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 04 2009 04:14 PM

Great photos all round! Especially love the cute little water vole and the unusual view of the ferris wheel.

Here are a couple of typical local cottages:

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 04 2009 10:38 PM

A belated Thank You, Liz, and kudos to you for getting your photos organized!

Satguru, I know it's off-kilter to think of nature following man's designs, but that's just how it seemed.

This zebra from the early 1900s has found a home in the carousel museum at Knoebels Grove, a terrific amusement park near central Pennsylvania.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 04 2009 10:47 PM

Here's the local fair, just as I was leaving it this evening after wandering about for a couple of hours.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 05 2009 05:41 AM

The first Hard Rock Cafe in the UK

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 05 2009 10:12 PM

The Knoebel family, which has owned and operated their park since 1926, has a knack for buying and restoring rides that have outlived their usefulness elsewhere. The Scenic Skyway was built in 1978 as a lift on a beginner ski slope at Sugarbush in Vermont. Sold to Knoebels in 2001, it was ready for riding by 2003.
It's a soothing ride, and at some point in the ascent, the amusement park noises and screams disappeared and were replaced by woodland quiet and chirping insects.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 06 2009 01:45 AM

The London Eye, in image art is a photo i messed with to change this photo
Posted by: The_lioness33

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 06 2009 08:18 AM

Yet another ferris wheel (well, the same one. Different angle)

Posted by: Santana2002

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 06 2009 11:24 AM

I've just spent the afternoon in Doélan, hiking along the old custom's path. We came across this little cove where the boys discovered two wooden pallets. No time was lost in hiking up the trouser legs for one, and stripping down to his smalls for the other, and the rest of the afternoon flew by in a whirl of pirate games, treasure island, sinking ships and all sorts.

As I can't post the kids, I'll post a shot of the coastline. The waster was amazingly clear with this green hue, which I couldn't capture (pity).

Posted by: Tredici

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 06 2009 12:30 PM

My contribution to the carnival bit.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 06 2009 04:59 PM

The city has to end somewhere, this is Tolworth Tower from the neighbouring fields

Posted by: bhs63

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 06 2009 10:28 PM

The ruins of Prince William's Parish Church, Sheldon SC.

This church was built 1745-55. The British burned it down in 1779. It was rebuilt in 1826. Then on Sherman's march to the sea, the Union Army torched it.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 07 2009 01:27 AM

Rangers fans heading for the big match at wembley
Posted by: szabs

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 07 2009 05:42 AM

An old country shed, in Aragon Spain
Posted by: lady1

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 07 2009 06:41 AM

Oh that looks like a picture out of a book. How lovely szabs.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 07 2009 03:20 PM

This is the railway line that divides Mortlake and East Sheen

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 08 2009 04:01 AM

Cruise liner docked at Invergordon this summer

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 08 2009 07:11 AM

I would lay bets that if I had a weekly theme of "fairgrounds" it would get one photo.

Great pics everyone. Really great pics!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 08 2009 03:22 PM

More summer flowers in St Johns Wood, it was actually warm and sunny again today, don't know if it will last though.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 08 2009 10:40 PM

Somewhere in Pennsylvania in June...

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 09 2009 12:54 AM

The world famous London Palladium, and the poster for one of the best shows in London Sister Act, saw it on my recent trip
Posted by: minkpenny

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 09 2009 12:57 AM

Wow, Kapuskasing! That's an awesome picture It would make a great Valentine's Day card How neat that you were able to take a picture of that cloud when it was shaped like that.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 10 2009 07:02 AM

Thanks Lady1, the whole area is great for taking pictures, due to it's intensive green colors, as it rains in that area nearly all year round.

This fountain is called the 101 water spout fountain.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 10 2009 08:11 AM

The Thames and tower bridge

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 10 2009 12:38 PM

Every so often a single modern house gets built here rather than rows of copies of Victorian slums which has been the fashion for 20 years now. Here's one I just found in Bushey

Posted by: ClaraSue

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 10 2009 04:17 PM

It has taken me the better part of a day to look at all the photos that I have missed over the past month and a half. I haven't been able to use my camera much so in frustration and depression, I figured I didn't want to look at any either if I couldn't take any. Silly, I know, but I won't do that again. Seeing everybody's beautiful and interesting photos has proven to me that I really missed it in here. I'll be back to posting soon.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 10 2009 10:07 PM

ClaraSue, I hope you and your camera are ready to post more pictures soon!

Minkpenny, I'm glad you liked that cloud. Feel free to use it -- if you or anyone wants a larger version let me know and I'll upload one to Photobucket.

I didn't get to the Jersey shore (errrr, the New Jersey shore) this summer, and it's cold and rainy tonight, so here is a trip back to September, 2008 and a warm evening on the boardwalk at Seaside Heights:

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 11 2009 01:55 AM

Another London scene

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 11 2009 12:34 PM

This litte guy had me running all over the place trying to get off a decent shot. He, of course, wouldn't land on anything pretty, so the sand will have to do.

Posted by: MadMags

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 11 2009 01:19 PM

Oooooo, what a lovely shot to return with! Welcome back, ClaraSue.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 11 2009 03:49 PM

Thanks, Mags!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 11 2009 04:17 PM

The famous Zebra crossing on Abbey Road

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 11 2009 10:45 PM

Bald cypress trees and their knees, aka pneumatophores, at Longwood Gardens. That's what the horticulturalists say, but I'm pretty sure those are actually petrified meerkats.

Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 12 2009 12:00 AM

This was taken through the windscreen, stuck in traffic on the way to work, one rainy day. I can't imagine why anyone would want to tell the world, via their licence plate, that they are a putz! But since it has two t's, maybe it has something to do with golf?

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 12 2009 12:59 AM

The Dorchester Hotel London full of posh motors when i passed

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 12 2009 09:13 AM

That butterfly is awesome ClaraSue
Posted by: veronikkamarrz

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 12 2009 10:21 AM

Golf or actual "Puttz," why would someone cover their rear window with stickers? Is that legal?

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 12 2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Is that legal?

Well, you'd think not, wouldn't you, given that it obscures vision and is a safety issue. But I couldn't find anything about it when I checked my West Australian handbook for road users, nor by searching on the web.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 13 2009 01:39 AM

close up of the Angel of peace statue

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 13 2009 04:41 AM

Yesterday's sunset:

Posted by: sue943

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 13 2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

That butterfly is awesome ClaraSue

It might well end up on a card!
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 13 2009 05:53 AM

Oh wow, that's stunning, lilyalli and great composition too.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 13 2009 05:59 AM

Thanks flopsy. I just wandered down to the beach in time - two minutes later and it was gone!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 13 2009 12:21 PM

Thanks, szabs. And Sue, you know you're always welcome to use my photos for a card. Thank you.

Lilyalli, that is a gorgeous sunset. Love it!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 13 2009 12:46 PM

Hubby and I were transporting a military vehicle from the California desert back to Pennsylvania and midway across the country I was doing a check of the vehicle when I spotted this nest tucked down in a spare tire. I felt so bad for the bird who built her nest and then couldn't find it after coming back home.

Posted by: minkpenny

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 13 2009 02:44 PM

Clarasue, that butterfly is beautiful! Great picture And what did you do with the nest and the egg?

Pretty cupcakes at the crafts fair. My cousin and I shared one; it was vanilla and had dulce de leche inside. Delicious!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 14 2009 02:36 AM

Liyalli wow what a sunset .
ClaraSue of all the places the birdie should choose to build a nest - me thinks ClaraSue will have a new travelling partner .

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 14 2009 04:04 AM

The Ritz resturant entrance

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 14 2009 12:57 PM

There was a discusion related to Vietnamese Pho on my team's message board, and I'd never tried it, so here is Saturday's dinner...

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 14 2009 03:06 PM

That sunset is a really special one Lilyalli!

Here are a selection of old and older signs in Chiswick. The H ones are for fire hydrants, one in the current style and other one of a number of different earlier ones. The old boroughs were changed in 1965 but the road name dates back way before then.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 14 2009 03:26 PM

So much yummy food - not good when all I'm having is some low fat cheese spread, ryvita and lettuce.....

Re sunset photo - thanks for all the nice comments. We don't get many like that. I am lucky to live in the only place on the east coast where the sun sets over the sea!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 14 2009 11:43 PM

How about a matched pair of stunning sunsets? The mountain version to go along with the beach.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 14 2009 11:51 PM

*gasp* beautiful!
nd Lilly's too.

Has been great to catch up with your pics - nice work everyone!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 15 2009 01:12 AM

This theatre is home to the hit Abba musical Mamma Mia, highly recommended is better then the film.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 15 2009 05:22 PM

I often come across old cars but recently they've all looked new like this Rover. Of course once they only looked like this but now they're a rarity.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 16 2009 02:09 AM

A wickedly good show and a air condionted theatre to boot.
Posted by: ren33

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 16 2009 06:11 AM

Weird sky when we have typhoons.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 16 2009 04:42 PM

Strange clouds, indeed Ren!

Some rather heavy looking geese trying to gain height (they'd been feeding in the field non-stop all day). It's blurred as taken through not very clean screen.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 16 2009 05:07 PM

Professer, I think you've been to as many musicals here in a week than I have in my whole life!

Here's another underground train (OK, it's overground but most of the line isn't) in Burnt Oak near me.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 16 2009 06:28 PM

Tidy desk (mine).

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 16 2009 10:26 PM

A tidy desk? Oh, Ren... I'm envious!

This is in Pittsburgh:

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 17 2009 09:12 AM

Well sat to make the trip from Inverness worthwhile did 10 shows in 6 days. And saying that i should point out i have seen 10 musicals in Glasgow/Edinburgh in the past 5 years as well.

For thos who wondered if June Brown does anything else other then Eastenders heres some proof lol

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 17 2009 02:28 PM

Tredici, I know Colorado has some gorgeous sunsets and that one is spectacular! Kapuskasing, LOL!

Not one to know flowers (or weeds, which I think this is), I don't know the name of this bloom. It had a diameter of approx. 2 inches and had a single stem with no leaves growing in a field in southern Texas.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 17 2009 09:23 PM

Is it a rain lily?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&am...ges&start=0

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 17 2009 09:33 PM

Hickory nuts litter the woods every fall, but I never tried eating them until this year, and they are so good! They're related to pecans, and taste like them but are even better.

This shows the stages of preparation -- whole hickories in the foreground, not yet open. The ones in the center are ready to hull, and on the right are empty hulls. The unopened nuts, which are in the back, need a solid thwack from a hammer to crack open, and then the meat has to be pried out with a pick. The little pile of nut meat on the left is from two nuts. A lot of effort, perhaps, but it makes a pleasant evening porch activity.

The two nuts on the back right are black walnuts, which are a much messier endeavor to hull, and I haven't started on them yet.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 17 2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

A tidy desk? Oh, Ren... I'm envious!

A rare sight, hence the pic.
Yes that's a rain lily I am pretty sure, aren't they lovely?
Great nuts Kapuskasing!
Posted by: Gatsby722

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 17 2009 11:26 PM

I was sorta sad this week (even though I basically asked for it). We'd heard that they were to be tearing down the junior high school (or middle school, some call them) that we'd attended in the 1970s. Why they picked September 11, 2009 to start this demolition is still a mystery to many of the locals over there (and the former locals over here, too ), but ... anyway, me and my friend drove over to have a look. The picture I got spotlights the weirdness of it, that day. There's a chunk of the building still standing on the left, and another on the right. But (yikes!) they were going after the middle of the place with no mercy. Kinda stabbing, though, to see the old hallways ripped to shreds like that. The walls of the auditorium and gymnasium easy to view, and looking pretty much (or so we tried to remember them) like they did --- but now being torn down and in recognizable pieces. Times change, and the past is the past, I guess. And the new building (which I HAD to find, and see how it measured up ) is pretty spectacular. So it goes, I reckon. I'll never get used to being this "old". Luckily? No one else who was there watching them gut this building that day was any more "used" to being that, either .

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 18 2009 02:03 AM

Cannot remember the name of these flying ladies, but apparently a london landmark, maybe Satguru will be able to help

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 18 2009 07:57 PM

Gary, I think the closest I can get to compete with you is when I went to Hull for a few days and went to the cinema every day. No, I know it doesn't compare...

If anyone wants to know what to expect if they go to Temple Fortune this is a typical view of their houses and roads.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 19 2009 01:07 AM

Another London scene a road without vehicles

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 19 2009 01:41 AM

The Needles from the paddle steamer WAVERLEY

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 19 2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Cannot remember the name of these flying ladies, but apparently a london landmark, maybe Satguru will be able to help

According to a website i found http://knowledgeoflondon.com/rooftops.html the three diving ladies are called the,three olympic golds, according to the site no one knows why they are called this. For those intrested you can see them on Coventry street LOndon

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 19 2009 09:32 AM

Sunset over the Bandra - Worli Sea link.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 19 2009 02:13 PM

Sat about all you can do in Hull is go to the cinema a boring city to me.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 19 2009 03:10 PM

Well, as a 'Hullite', I have to disagree, and I love to go back and visit! I think it just gets a bad press As Maureen Lipman (I think) said, "You can take the girl out of Hull, but you can't take Hull out of the girl".....

Today I have been foraging for wild fruit (ok, probably not possible in Hull!) and picked about 10 lbs of wild cherry plums and about 3 lbs blackberries. I made plum ketchup, plum chutney and plum and ginger jam and froze the blackberries. It is 30 odd years since I last did this, but I've thoroughly enjoyed myself and can see it becoming a yearly project!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 19 2009 10:08 PM

Gats, my junior high was condemned back in the 70s - while I was still attending it. Worn marble stairs, big old rattly windows that opened wider than lawyers would allow now, asbestos everywhere, and plenty of places for kids to hide and smoke cigarettes... so I know what you mean about the sadness of seeing a good memory-making school building get taken down.

Great sightseeing pictures, Prof, Zorba and Runningbare, and as always it's good to get to know London better through Sat's lens.

Lillyalli, your fruit looks wonderful! That kind of plum doesn't grow here, but there's a certified organic farm nearby that has pick-your-own blackberries, so there are a few quarts now in my freezer. By January, they are a welcome treat and reminder of summer.

Foraging for food is fun, and the photo below was taken while nut-hunting this afternoon. I didn't take Froggy's hickory nut, though!

Once upon a time, in the forest by the creek lived the Magic Hickory Nut, unlike all the other hickory nuts in the land. During the long days while humans roamed the forest, the nut was guarded by his companion and protector, The Frog, who was of course a prince held captive by an evil spell...

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 20 2009 01:18 AM

The London Hilton Hotel Entrance

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 20 2009 07:09 AM

Lovely pic, Kapuskasing.

Some wild flowers.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 20 2009 04:08 PM

OK, I won't say too much about Hull but that did tend to be the most reliable thing to do besides the chip shops with mushy peas in Cottingham.
Pall Mall wasn't quiet by chance if anyone wondered (the road with no cars) but they are banned at certain times, mainly weekends.

Here's a road with the railway on one side in Hampton Hill

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 20 2009 09:02 PM

Deer and dog prints, but fortunately for the deer, they seem to have been made at different times.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 21 2009 06:08 AM

Another theatre i went to on my recent visit to the Capital. Thanks for the info reference Pall Mall Sat, forgot the name of it, was a monday morning i was there. And you cannot beat fish and chips and mushy peas.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 21 2009 12:27 PM

I can do my best with many views of London if required.
This is the Thames at Strand on the Green in Chiswick.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 21 2009 12:38 PM

what a great photo Sat

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 22 2009 04:12 AM

One of the many posh car show rooms i passed by during my London Visit.

The other window even had a Aston Martin peddle Car in it for sale at a mere £4k

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 22 2009 12:15 PM

Thanks Professer. Here's a typical example of the old road signs I collect, complete with stripy pole, which were abolished in 1964.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 22 2009 12:54 PM

I spent last weekend with my parents in Colorado. Dad and I took a jeep ride up into the mountains next to their home. This is the start of the ride before we started climbing. Note the 'smooth' road.

Posted by: bhs63

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 22 2009 10:06 PM

My neighbor's chicken running thru my yard.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 22 2009 10:39 PM

This is what happens when a kangaroo hit the windscreen.
It's all happening here lately ...

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 22 2009 10:39 PM

oh - apparenlty the roo jumped away quite well.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 22 2009 11:44 PM

Yes! Where in the world would you meet someone who had a kangaroo hit their windscreen! Isn't FT wonderful?!
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 23 2009 12:16 AM

The sunset earlier as seen from out the front door at work. It isn't often that one comes out this well in Dallas.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 23 2009 06:46 AM

Recently spent part of a brief vacation in search of the wild mustangs in Moffat County, Colorado. This little filly was quite full of herself and stole my heart.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 23 2009 06:53 AM

One of the many statues around London of a famous person this one i forget the name of

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 23 2009 05:26 PM

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Wed Sep 23 2009 07:16 PM

The statue's in South Kensington but not sure who it is either. Should be easier now I've located it.

This is a typical (large version) house in Golders Green. When I make my first million I may buy one...

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 10:42 AM

Was surprised to see how busy this show was when in London although i never went myself it was packed everyday. May been with Michael Jackson fans who came to London despite his death and cancelation of hios O2 shows.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 12:06 PM

We'll be in Nevada on Monday, Tredici, I hope to see some wild mustangs again. Lovely filly!

On my trip in the mountains with dad, this little fellow came out to check out the jeep stopped by his home.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Recently spent part of a brief vacation in search of the wild mustangs in Moffat County, Colorado. This little filly was quite full of herself and stole my heart.

She's beuatiful! Great picture too.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 02:26 PM

Unfortunately there was very little activity at Elstree Aerodrome today (it's often constant) so here are the planes resting. It's not icy yet but two are even wearing a coat.

Posted by: martin_cube

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 03:49 PM

Seeing the photo of the Aston Martin showroom reminded me of the one I took in Berlin of the Ferrari showroom on Unter Den Linden.

Posted by: SilverMoonsong

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 04:13 PM

This guy was on the wall by the door - he's HUGE. Does anyone know what kind of spider he is? The siding on the house is (I think) 7" or 8". I wasn't brave enough to go out with a ruler and get any closer than I did with the camera.

edited to add

I found out it's a Writing Spider.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 04:32 PM

ewwwwww *shudder*

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 09:00 PM

Aww Copago, spiders are ok. They eat flies which walk all over .. well, you know, then walk on our food. Spiders are our friends.

SilverMoonsong, in that case your spider is related to this benign beauty which hung around for three or four months near my front porch this summer, before a bird got her. :/

She's a Nephila Golden Orb spider, named Golden for the colour of the anchor threads they weave, varying the colour according to the intensity of light and the colour of the background, and is specifically adapted to insect vision; which I thought was rather clever. More information here

She tolerated me spritzing water on her web from time to time for water-beaded web shots, and because she didn't jump, I felt comfortable getting quite close to her. This was shot from about 3" away.

edited to add: This is her underbelly, and she's hanging head down.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 11:18 PM

Tredici, "your" filly is beautiful, and her coloring fits perfectly with her surroundings.

Copago, I hope you write a book someday... what are the chances of you and Conor teaming up to make a photo-story of your adventures?

And, how appropriate is it that SilverMoonsong was visited by a writing spider?

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Thu Sep 24 2009 11:28 PM

Went to the movies tonight and saw La Strada. Kind of strange to adapt to the idea of seeing a digital "film" like that one in a theater, but at least it's easier to read subtitles when they aren't on a faded old print.

This theater opened in 1928, but by the early 70s the competing theaters out by the malls - with two or sometimes three screens (they weren't called "multiplexes" yet) had taken away its business, and the Ambler Theater might have been a goner if Harry Bristow, a Philly area preacher, hadn't bought it as a place to show Christian films. Every Friday night there was a free movie, followed by Harry preaching and exhorting people to come up to the front if the movie helped the spirit stir within. He'd scold those who tried to leave between the movie and the preaching. Vans and buses of people would come from churches all around Philadelphia, but by the early 90s, crowds dwindled. Dr. Bristow and his son Gary kept the place going long enough, and maintained it sufficiently so that by the time Harry died, old theaters had come back into vogue. Eventually this theater landed in the hands of a non-profit film group that renovated it beautifully, and shows films that don't get to the multiplexes.

Posted by: SilverMoonsong

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 25 2009 03:37 AM

Quote:

And, how appropriate is it that SilverMoonsong was visited by a writing spider?

I was waiting for her to spin a web that said "Some Pig"

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 25 2009 04:56 AM

errr, no - they can be your friends, Mags! Yours looks like an alien!

A couple mornings ago we sent a road train load of goats away. You can see a couple horns popping out over the top.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Fri Sep 25 2009 05:43 AM

A different angle of a famous landmark in London

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 26 2009 01:21 AM

A different shot of Big Ben

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 26 2009 08:41 AM

After the ride with dad in the mountains, we're headed back to the valley where mom is waiting with lunch.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 26 2009 08:48 AM

(Oooo, I see cake! Happy birthday, ClaraSue. )

What a breathtakingly beautiful scene! Lovely capture.
Posted by: tellywellies

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 26 2009 10:39 AM

A bee making the most of some late summer sunshine. Note the sunglasses.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 26 2009 03:17 PM

Lovely view ClaraSue - and a very Happy Birthday to you!

Trendy bee, tellywellies!

This glorious September weather has seen me down at the beach most evenings. I think they are digging for cockles.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 26 2009 05:17 PM

You have a real eye for sunsets, lilyalli, that's just beautiful.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 26 2009 05:43 PM

Thanks flopsy. I have a little routine going just now - two mile walk through nature reserve (hundreds of geese) and then back along beach. Today, I sat on a boulder for ages just watching the sun go down and took loads of pics - of course!
Posted by: jmorrow

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sat Sep 26 2009 08:17 PM

The last few pictures all look like they belong on a postcard - just lovely.

And here's wishing ClaraSue a Very Happy Birthday!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 27 2009 10:06 AM

Nelson stood upon his column in Trafalgar Sqarue

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Sun Sep 27 2009 02:03 PM

I hope we have some train enthusiasts here, this was just arriving as I crossed the bridge, from Claygate station in the background

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 28 2009 01:26 AM

This is for those following the great debate in the what drives you crazy thread!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 28 2009 03:47 AM

The Her Majesty's Theatre London home of Andrew Lloyd Webbers Phantom of the opera since 1986, still playing to packed houses.

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 28 2009 04:18 AM

This is an old photo that I took years ago and have scanned. It is of coolcat90 when she was little (she's an adult now). For those of you following the great toilet roll debate, note that the toilet roll is "under" and it hasn't stopped busy little fingers from unravelling it.

Posted by: jmorrow

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 28 2009 10:15 AM

Oh, MotherGoose, that picture is just adorable! I now need to go check out this toilet roll debate!

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Mon Sep 28 2009 03:25 PM

I find it hard to pull more than two pieces in one go when it's over the roll. Fine for some people I know who are trying to save it but not when you want to complete the mission effectively.

I never miss a passing cat

Posted by: SOTHC

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 29 2009 06:54 AM

Quote:

I never miss a passing cat

I wondered why you often drove on the pavement

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 29 2009 11:44 AM

Glad to see you back on form SOTHC

One of the many modernist houses on an estate in Ealing. The top floor windows is what the others were like originally

Re: September Photo-a-day. - Tue Sep 29 2009 02:49 PM

A welcome resting place on my beach walk that someone has kindly created. It appears to have been vandalised recently as per notice on the back of the seat that has been replaced. It's fairly remote, so can't imagine who would do this.