This week's theme is NUMBERS

Posted by: Copago

This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sun Oct 04 2009 04:08 AM

Find a number and take a snap - let's see what kind of variety we can find where numbers are.
Posted by: PDAZ

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sun Oct 04 2009 07:47 AM

I may have posted this a while back, but it fits the topic. It's our speed limit at work...

Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sun Oct 04 2009 08:52 AM

Another holiday snap from last year's trip to California. This one was taken near the house where we were staying, which is hundreds of miles from Route 66. Someone stole the sign and put it up in Sebastopol.
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sun Oct 04 2009 03:54 PM

This starling is waiting for a ride to the airport:

Posted by: PauFlP

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sun Oct 04 2009 07:39 PM

Marin County Civic Center, San Rafael, California, 1967.

Always made me think about how much trouble all those people in the fallout shelter would be in if the nuclear war lasted more than 15 minutes.

Posted by: Kapuskasing

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Tue Oct 06 2009 08:40 PM

Haven't seen a Fallout Shelter sign in a long time, Paul!

Grocery store math. I guess some people will pay 38 cents more for the two-pack, which they'll then need to spend time unwrapping. If it says "Value" in big letters, then it must be a value, right?

It's been priced like that for months.

It reminds me of 1978, when a friend needed money so she baked brownies, which she and I sold outside a Rolling Stones concert at the old JFK stadium in Philadelphia. The brownies were 25 cents each or three for a dollar -- some people caught the funny math, but many didn't.

Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Tue Oct 06 2009 10:04 PM

Some nice numbers here, and my better half recently won the second biggest number!
Posted by: satguru

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Wed Oct 07 2009 04:32 PM

You can win that much on a fruit machine? Blimey! And it actually happened as well, that is even more impressive!

Here is a typical pre-1964 direction sign (yellow edges for far, blue for near basically) and one of the few which has been restored as most haven't been touched since they were made.

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Thu Oct 08 2009 02:41 AM

You can win that and more, SatG. Once you win somethign big you can then gamble is again and again We call them poker machines .. pokies .. not fruit machine. They are quite different.

ANyway .. here is half time in the Tigers/Cowboys game at Leichhardt Oval earlier this year. The full time score was even nicer

Posted by: MadMags

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sat Oct 10 2009 10:52 AM

Some fun photos here this week! I like the road signs, and nice win for your wife, ozzz!

I couldn't find any interesting numbers out and about, so I resorted to my library. For anyone who enjoys music, this book is a must-have, and was certainly more affordable at the $20 sale price, than the $40 original price.
Posted by: jmorrow

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sat Oct 10 2009 07:30 PM

This is a snap from my trip to Vietnam last year. I'm not sure if the numbers are some form of advertising, but it was quite common to see them painted on walls and pillars all over the city.

Posted by: Jedi_Padawan

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sat Oct 10 2009 11:12 PM

This is a scientific calculator I have. I don't really know how to use most of the scientific functions, but I like using it for regular operations because it can fit all 10 numbers across the screen at once (whereas normal calculators usually fit 7 or so).

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sun Oct 11 2009 04:12 AM

I remember having on of those in high school, Lizzi, and having to know all the sin, cos, tan and all that. DO you know I've not had to do one thing since school about any of that? LOL

I'll close this thread tomorrow in case any one has any last minute pics or chat to add.
Posted by: Jedi_Padawan

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Sun Oct 11 2009 06:04 PM

I haven't had to anything like that since school either - a fact I'm grateful for! I wasn't bad at math, but I didn't like it very much. I'm glad now all I have to do are relatively simple calculations.
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: This week's theme is NUMBERS - Mon Oct 12 2009 12:24 AM

PDAZ, I remember a mobile home park in Little Elm that had that same speed limit...14 1/2. The signs have all come down now.