March Photo a Day thread

Posted by: ren33

March Photo a Day thread - Mon Feb 28 2011 03:36 PM

Welcome to the new month. I will leave the old thread open for a while for catcherups. Feb was awesome BTW.
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Feb 28 2011 04:57 PM

Houghtons Winery in the Swan Valley - it's a great place to have a picnic, do some wine tasting, meet friends etc.
Posted by: Nannanut

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Feb 28 2011 08:28 PM

Love that place. Had their classic white last night!
Posted by: Howie72

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Feb 28 2011 11:26 PM

I shall start with a Timaru sunrise before heading back overseas.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Feb 28 2011 11:46 PM

Gosh, Aaron, that is lovely~!
Posted by: Quiz_Beagle

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 01 2011 06:59 PM

An Ischian natural sauna (built on a hot spring...)

Posted by: satguru

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 01 2011 09:23 PM

Now I can post directly from Flickr I can trawl the archives on days where I've taken nothing new (I carry the camera wherever I go during daylight hours just in case). This is Harrow on the Hill taken from the north side. For some reason it wouldn't let me post the usual size so it's a bit smaller.

Harrow Hill N by satguru, on Flickr
Posted by: auntie1

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 02 2011 12:01 AM

Fat juicy little crab-apples, just waiting for me to make jelly.
Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 02 2011 01:24 AM

The Bombay Municipal Headquarters

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 02 2011 04:43 PM

Some typical British woodlands in Cuffley north of London

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 02 2011 05:39 PM

A cemetery in the USA

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 02 2011 09:11 PM

Posted by: Copago

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 03 2011 04:37 AM

great start to March!!

Here is my son's latest craze .. beyblades. A glorified spinning top that he seems to love spending his money on!
Posted by: szabs

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 03 2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Mehaul

While we were in Sevilla, the Festival of Semana Santa (Holy Week) was going on. Being from America, I wondered what had drawn all the KKK members to Spain while I was on vacation. It wasn't that group at all but Catholic penitents of various parishes donned in their particular colors in a native costume. The worshipers all carry candles. But rivalry between villages tends to transcend the observance so Diputados are needed to keep peace. They are identifiable by their different arrangement of color and that they carry staffs. I purchased this 2 inch plastic souvenir from that visit. Maybe Spanishliz or szabs can verify or correct that blah blah blah?

Sorry Mehaul that I didnt see this posting before. Your description of Semana Santa (Easter) is spot on, an even bigger rivalry occurs between the cities of Sevilla and Malaga, as they both proclaim to have the biggest and the best processions in Spain. Easter processions take place for eight consecutive days, and on average there are about 10 brotherhoods who parade each day, each procession takes about 7 to 9 hours in which the penitents walk behind the throne, (the thrones are the images of Christ and the Virgin Mary), each throne weighs several hundred kilos, and is carried by a group of men who bare the weight on their shoulders. Processions normally start at dusk and some are still out on the streets at 6am, needless to say the centre of the cities are closed, and virtually everything stops in Spain during Easter, as every single town no matter how big or small will have some kind of processions throughout the week.

I must say that one of my favourite themes of photography is Semana Santa.

Here is a group of real penitents, and not a little plastic one.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 03 2011 08:00 AM

The photos so far this month are wonderful!
Posted by: ertrum

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 03 2011 10:21 AM

The Semana Santa penitents do look eerily like KKK members, even though I know that they're not. Why are they masked? (and why do their masks rise to such a high point?)
Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 03 2011 12:05 PM

Obviously I am a massive Agatha Christie fan (the screen-name pretty much gives it away! laugh ) and I entered a online competition last year, to win every book published by Agatha Christie - 84 in total! And believe it or not, I won it, and all the books are nice and tidy on my shelves, together with the audio cd's to accompany them (which I brought myself). This is a photo of just a few of the books, in the large parcel. So plenty of reading to do
(sorry I haven't been posting pics, Photobucket has been problematic with me, but loving all the photos smile )
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 03 2011 12:48 PM

Congrats Jane! Now you'll have enough reading material to last you the rest of 2011. wink

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 03 2011 01:31 PM

I thought one more New Zealand photo before my trip continues. Here we are are looking up Otago Harbour towards Dunedin as the sun sets behind the hills.

Got the same flickr problem as David, the older photos are refusing to be posted in the 640x480 size....

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 03 2011 04:42 PM

Congratulations Jane - that's wonderful!
Posted by: Gees63

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 03 2011 07:27 PM

Web in the mist

No sign of owner probably out for a spin somewhere

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 04 2011 12:04 AM

That is stunning, Gees!
Congrats Jane .. perfect prize for you smile

This is from lego land .. the stuff at the bottom of the pic is how it all starts.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 04 2011 06:47 AM

Ah, Lego. A bit after my childhood but my daughter loved it, as does my grandson.
He also loves Thomas and His Friends, hence the decoration for his 4th Birthday cake.

For any Thomas aficionados, the locomotive is Sir Handel, and the carriages are of the Sodor Supply Company.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 04 2011 11:28 AM

Jane, that's a perfect competition to win. We can look forward to more Christie quizzes from you.

Howie, I love the colours in your photo.

Auntie, I hope Harrison had a lovely birthday. I never thought of trains on a cake! smile

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 04 2011 06:33 PM

Today, I am posting a picture of a *nice* dog...
This is Mika, one of my clients.

Butu is *not* a nice dog tonight. He bit through my broadband connection....

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 04 2011 07:04 PM

Oh Baaaaaad Butu! Norty!! I am not sure I want to meet him in April any more.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 04 2011 08:12 PM

I'm using the new size setting on Flickr I used on Photobucket but still looks like the small one. I'll have to investigate.

Some typical British countryside in Redbourn, actually an entrance to a waterworks but you can't see it from here. Ignore the ghost in the corner, it comes out when it's a sunny day but is quite harmless.

Posted by: spanishliz

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 04 2011 08:59 PM

This squirrel gave us a real telling off yesterday when he thought Precious was going to climb his utility pole, and then to make matters worse, his tree!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 04 2011 11:33 PM

More squirrels

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 02:43 AM

Today Maynooth, coolcat90 and I went to Cottesloe Beach to see the "Sculpture by the Sea" exhibition. It's an annual event which started in 2005 and, along with the Bondi Beach exhibition, the largest outdoor exhibition of sculpture in Australia.

Some of the pieces were wonderful and others...well...let's just say, to each his own. I neither liked nor disliked this piece, but I thought it made a great frame for the Cottesloe groyne and three ships out to sea.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 06:41 AM

A couple of Melbourne Zoo's gorillas.
Posted by: reeshy

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 09:02 AM

All the pictures are lovely so far! I need to start taking more! smile Though I do still have many on my Photobucket I could upload here.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 10:18 AM

This is for Spanishliz

The entrance to the town of Mojacar.
Posted by: trev1

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 10:24 AM

A wonderful mix of photos from everyone this month, I really enjoy the variety.

It's another heron photo from me.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 10:36 AM

Quote:
This is for Spanishliz

Thank you so much! Brought a big smile to my face when I opened this page just now, it is such a familiar sight to me smile

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 02:42 PM

The Captain Cain statue outside the old landing services building. Captain Cain was one of the prominent inhabitants of early Timaru. Before the breakwater was built the ships arriving anchored offshore and landing services businesses were set up to assist the unloading and bringing ashore. Sitting next to him is my travelling kiwi that went to the USA and Europe with me.
Posted by: Dotb

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 02:53 PM

Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 05:31 PM

The French-Atlantic coast at Les Landes.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 07:38 PM

A view of St Albans cathedral

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 08:45 PM

Great pics! The heron is stunning, Trev and so is yours flopsy.

Here is a yabbie (freshwater crayfish). We catch them in our ground tanks and will be having a big feed of them tonight.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 09:23 PM

Surprise visitor for the night sprung on us about 8.00pm Mollie. Even more of a surprise she seems to have run out of energy at last.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 09:49 PM

Copago, your crayfish are much bigger than ours. That one looks like it'd make a nice meal, most of ours are no longer than one of its claws.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 05 2011 10:04 PM

Mollie is so cute!

A vintage car I saw in the morning.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 06 2011 03:43 AM

More sculptures by the sea.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 06 2011 04:13 PM

A nice row of houses in the middle of Surrey near Woking

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 06 2011 06:07 PM

Anyone for rats?
My friend's late lamented Teddy and Raoul....

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 06 2011 07:24 PM

Oh, they're cute! I don't mind rodents - I used to have pet mice when I was a child. I wanted a rat but my mother wouldn't let me. Actually, given how extremely house-proud my mother was, I'm now amazed she let me have the mice.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 07 2011 02:17 AM

A Fly Went By.......

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 07 2011 04:27 AM

We're having a mouse plague at the moment ... I'm not a fan of them. smirk

haha cool, Auntie! Great detail.

Here's the yabbies all cooked up and ready to eat laugh

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 07 2011 05:49 AM

Gibraltar

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 07 2011 07:07 AM

MG; Daughter once took a small aquarium to school to house and study a white mouse, soon named "Souris". After earning her Certificate of Mousemanship I found that if I did not authorise the school to send "Souris" home with her, the mouse would have to be humanely destroyed.
Souris was a pleasant little critter, but a little plumper than I would have anticipated..... turns out daughter's schoolfriend had a mouse named Henry who occasionally shared Souris' lodgings because the innocent little girls thought the mice looked lonely.
The progeny were all males, and it did not end well!

Copago; The only time I ever tasted yabbies was in a heavenly dish which included Moreton Bay Bug and Marron (the crayfish, not the chestnut). For fear of disappointment, I won't eat them again unless I find the same delicious combination on offer.
Posted by: tellywellies

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 07 2011 10:08 AM

Lots of swans on a pond. Photo taken today while out riding:

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 07 2011 12:31 PM

A view of Claygate from the park

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 07 2011 03:07 PM

Even though it has been a bright and sunny day today I am posting an indoor picture taken at Newcastle Discovery Museum

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Turbinia was the first steam turbine-powered steamship. Built as an experimental vessel in 1894, and easily the fastest ship in the world at that time, Turbinia was demonstrated dramatically at the Spithead Navy Review in 1897 and set the standard for the next generation of steamships, the majority of which were turbine powered. The vessel can still be seen at the Discovery Museum in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, while her original powerplant can be found at the London Science Museum.

Charles Algernon Parsons invented the steam turbine in 1884, and having foreseen its potential to power ships he set up the Parsons Marine Steam Turbine Company with five associates in 1893. To develop this he had the experimental vessel Turbinia built in a light design of steel by the firm of Brown and Hood, based at Wallsend on Tyne.
The Admiralty was kept informed of developments, and Turbinia was launched on 2 August 1894. Despite the success of the turbine engine, initial trials with one propeller were disappointing. After discovering the problem of cavitation and constructing the first cavitation tunnel, Parsons' research led to him fitting three axial-flow turbines to three shafts, each shaft in turn driving three propellers. In trials this achieved a top speed of over 34 knots (63 km/h), so that "the passengers aboard would be convinced beyond all doubt Turbinia was Charles Parsons' winning North Sea greyhound".
Demonstration

Parsons' ship turned up unannounced[1] at the Navy Review for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee at Spithead, on 26 June 1897, in front of the Prince of Wales, Lords of the Admiralty and foreign dignitaries. As an audacious publicity stunt, the Turbinia, which was much faster than all other ships of the time, raced between the two lines of large ships and steamed up and down in front of the crowd and princes with impunity, while easily evading a Navy picket boat that tried to stop her, indeed, almost swamping it with her wake.[2]
From this clear demonstration of her speed and power and after further high speed trials attended by the Admiralty, Parsons set up the Turbinia Works at Wallsend, which then constructed the engines for two turbine-powered destroyers for the Navy, HMS Viper and HMS Cobra, which were launched in 1899. Although both these vessels came to grief, for reasons not connected with the engines, the Admiralty was convinced. In 1900 the Turbinia steamed to Paris and was shown to French officials and then displayed at the Paris Exhibition.
The first turbine-powered merchant vessel, the Clyde steamer TS King Edward, followed in 1901. The Admiralty confirmed in 1905 that all future Royal Navy vessels were to be turbine-powered, and in 1906 the first turbine-powered battleship, the revolutionary HMS Dreadnought, was launched.
Turbinia was cut into two pieces when she was accidentally rammed by a ship being launched across-river from the south bank of the Tyne in 1927, but was restored in the 1960s, when she was put on display at Newcastle's Museum of Science and Engineering (later renamed The Military Vehicle Museum). Listed as part of the National Historic Fleet, Core Collection, in 2000, the vessel was the focal point of a year-long £10.7m redevelopment programme at Newcastle's Discovery Museum. The gallery around Turbinia was the first area to be refurbished, with the main part of the work involving raising the roof by one storey to create viewing galleries on three levels.
Posted by: bhs63

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 07 2011 05:44 PM

Walking across a lock gate
Miraflores Locks, Panama Canal

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 07 2011 06:13 PM

Our local theatre, where I am-dram...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 08 2011 10:58 AM

Blackfriars Newcastle

From Wikipedia
Blackfriars is a restored 13th-century friary in Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England. It is in the city centre
Early history
During the early years of the 13th century, orders of friars began to establish themselves in England. Newcastle came to have five friaries within its walls: Blackfriars (Dominican) established in 1239; Whitefriars (Carmelite) established in 1262; Austinfriars (Augustinian) established in 1290 (now the site of the Holy Jesus Hospital); Greyfriars (Franciscans) established in 1274 and the Trinitarians established in 1360. There was also the nunnery of St Bartholomew’s founded in 1086 near the present Nun Street.
The Dominican friary was founded by a wealthy Newcastle merchant, Sir Peter Scott. Friars differed from monks, in that worship featured less prominently in the daily routine of the friary. They were clerics who initially lived solely by begging, and they were mostly located in urban areas. They were therefore known as mendicant orders. The Dominican order was founded by St Dominic, also known as Dominic of Osma, shortly after 1200.
Dominicans were forbidden to own buildings and land, but such property could be held in trust for them. Such was the case with Blackfriars, which was situated in the north west of Newcastle just inside the city walls. The friary covered seven acres (2.83 hectares), but also had two gardens and four small closes that provided a small income.
During the 14th century, the friary accommodated royalty on more than one occasion. In 1334 Edward III of England and Edward Balliol, king of Scotland were present there, when Balliol did homage to Edward III for the kingdom of Scotland.
Reformation
During the Reformation begun by Henry VIII in 1536, the five Newcastle friaries and the single nunnery were dissolved and the land was sold to the Corporation and to rich merchants. At this time there were fewer than 60 inmates of the religious houses in Newcastle. The convent of Blackfriars was sold to the mayor and burgesses of Newcastle, who then leased it to nine of the town’s craft guilds, to be used as their headquarters. This probably explains why it is the only one of the religious houses whose building survives to the present day.

The guilds carried out extensive changes to adapt the cloistered buildings to their own use. This was carried out in the late 16th and early 17th centuries. Between 1709 and 1739 many further alterations were made, such as providing new windows and altering floor levels. Some of the guilds, such as the Tailors and the Cordwainers, moved out of Blackfriars for a while and subsequently returned. The guilds’ meeting houses in Blackfriars were well used until the 19th century. The guilds only met in them once a quarter, so that they were used for other purposes the rest of the time. Ground floor rooms often served as dwellings, either for people employed by the guilds, or for the needy, who lived there free of rent
Neglect and subsequent restoration
During much of the 19th century and into the 20th century, the buildings of Blackfriars were neglected and fell into an increasingly bad state of repair. In 1937 the Saddlers’ property was declared as unfit for human habitation.
Newcastle Corporation acquired Blackfriars in the early 1950s. At one time there appeared to be a possibility that the Dominicans might return to occupy Blackfriars, but this did not happen. The guild of Tailors, among others, continued to meet at Blackfriars until 1974.
Between 1975 and 1981, the buildings of Blackfriars were restored.
Blackfriars now
Only the buildings of the cloisters remain. In the Middle Ages the cloister consisted of an open garth, approximately 69ft (21m) square surrounded by a 10ft (3m) wide covered walk. The covered walk no longer exists. The friary church was at the north end of the cloister, but was demolished in the 16th century. The outline of the church can be made out in the grassy space that remains.

The buildings now house a range of craft workshops and a restaurant owned by Andy Hook with Head chef James Balloch. Blackfriars also houses an exhibition, which describes the history of Blackfriars. The large grassed courtyard contrasts with the busy city life that surrounds it.

The site is close to the most intact section of the old town walls.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 08 2011 03:29 PM

Back to San Francisco again and "Alcatraz Clipper", the boat I travelled on to 'visit' Alcatraz.....

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 08 2011 04:28 PM

Today being Shrove Tuesday is Pancake Day, so here is a picture of my lunch - blueberry pancakes, at my favourite little bakery/restaurant downtown smile

Posted by: minkpenny

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 08 2011 05:25 PM

Hmmm, those pancakes look delicious, Liz! laugh The other day I made blueberry pancakes from scratch for the first time ever! They turned out really good. The only thing missing was maple syrup... but I can't find it anywhere over here frown

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 08 2011 05:53 PM

I had to get people visiting from Canada to bring me maple syrup when I lived in Spain. I know how you feel smile

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 08 2011 07:38 PM

I've always liked modern office blocks- there are very few groups of them over here until Canary Wharf went up in the 2000s, but Uxbridge here and Croydon more so are the minor versions at least.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 08 2011 09:05 PM

A llama plotting revenge...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 09 2011 05:28 AM

And here I present Mr. Gibraltar

The Barbary Macaque from Gibraltar is the only monkey native to the European continent, it is Gibraltar's national symbol and they are thriving, there are more than 250 of them living in the Upper Rock area, although occasionally you will see some roaming around town. They are very friendly, and not afraid of people, and they are great thieves and sometimes can create a bit of havoc.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 09 2011 05:55 AM

One of my most welcome garden visitors is the New Holland Honey-eater.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 09 2011 06:13 AM

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 09 2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Quiz_Beagle
A llama plotting revenge...

And after you whacked me so thoroughly in Knockout yesterday, we all know on whom revenge will be exacted! wink

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 09 2011 08:09 AM

Freshly plucked carrots

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 09 2011 05:24 PM

After my score today, the Llama's Revenge probably happened :-(

Racing in the Solent...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 09 2011 07:45 PM

Another newly discovered park only a couple of miles away in Queensbury (it's nothing to do with Kingsbury, they opened a station there and had a competition to name it, it was actually part of Stanmore till then). The poo bin is a necessary evil for photography and better getting in the way than treading in it without them.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 09 2011 08:32 PM

This is a view of my sister's back yard at about five o'clock this afternoon. Most of the snow had been gone, then it snowed all afternoon...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 10 2011 04:24 AM

great photos! I thought you'd be out of the snow by now, Liz? Can't be long before the summer!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 10 2011 08:07 AM

Quote:
I thought you'd be out of the snow by now, Liz?

So did we! It has turned to rain now as it is quite warm (i.e. above freezing).

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 10 2011 10:14 AM

2007 - and the French advertise the World Cup with some nifty trompe-l'œil on the buildings around the city...taken from the Arc de Triomphe IIRC...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 10 2011 11:58 AM

This sculpture is not attached to the building - it's an optical illusion created by the angle at which the photo was taken.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 10 2011 03:43 PM

lol - a great effect though!
Love the Union ad too smile

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 10 2011 06:39 PM

I discovered another brook yesterday in Queensbury

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 10 2011 07:26 PM

Great picture Mothergoose

Newcastle City Walls and Moat. The moat I think is a bit of poetic licence by the council when they cleared the building around the walls

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 11 2011 07:25 AM

The children seemed especially drawn to this sculpture. I had to wait for ages before I could get a clear shot without kids in the picture.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 11 2011 02:04 PM

These sculptures are amazing, Carole!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 11 2011 08:11 PM

A detail of the Colosseum at El Jem, Tunisia. I love that country, and am very sad at what's been happening recently...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 11 2011 10:12 PM

Straight roads are the norm elsewhere but very much the exception in the UK. As a result of liking the view over a long distance as well as the improved efficiency of getting around I appreciate and take photos of almost every one I happen to come across. This is today's example in St Albans.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 12 2011 03:25 AM

A local dog that joined in the Shave/colour day laugh

Posted by: lady1

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 12 2011 08:30 AM

Poor thing looks embarrased. smile

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 12 2011 05:37 PM

A view of Golden Gate Bridge while on the way to my imprisonment at Alcatraz....

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 12 2011 07:36 PM

A car rather spectacularly on fire outside my flat being dealt with by the Fire Brigade...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 12 2011 07:40 PM

Quote:
[/quote]A local dog that joined in the Shave/colour day[quote]

At least it did not get shaved

Ducks Out of Water

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 13 2011 11:42 AM

Two geese and a moorhen... I think the ducks must have flown away. They do that; pesky things, ducks. wink

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 13 2011 11:53 AM

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 13 2011 03:33 PM

The outside pots are looking quite Springy at last.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 13 2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Quiz_Beagle
A car rather spectacularly on fire outside my flat being dealt with by the Fire Brigade...

That looks like my old Vauxhall Nova except mine didn't have the other wheel arches. I did wonder what happened to it...

This is another village green, in Farnham with the North Downs behind

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 13 2011 08:23 PM

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 14 2011 02:38 AM

Getting closer.....

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 14 2011 07:59 AM

Gibraltar lighthouse, weve had some pretty nasty storms in the last couple of weeks and this cargo ship has suffered the consequences. The mountains you see in the background are the Atlas mountains in Morocco. The Strait of Gibraltar is only 14kms wide.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 14 2011 07:26 PM

I've been missiing in action for a few days.
Here's my excuse!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 14 2011 07:35 PM

Some of the best of the British countryside on the North Downs near Dorking

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 14 2011 07:38 PM

Wow, Auntie, glad all is well again!
David that's lovely.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 14 2011 07:41 PM

Wow, Auntie, glad all is well again!
David that's lovely.

I love Busy Lizzies, they are so optimistic!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 14 2011 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: auntie1

I've been missiing in action for a few days.
Here's my excuse!

The excuse being that you used Google to find out what "XP Total Security" was and then spent a few days removing the pesky thing from your computer?

Good to see you back, I like seeing your photos!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 14 2011 08:44 PM

P-p-pick up a Penguin...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 14 2011 08:59 PM

flopsymopsy, that was just one of many rapid messages that suggested the sky was falling but if I sent money all would be well.
So I just switched off and went to my knitting, after booking "Mr Computer Man" to make a house call. He's well trained - brings me a bucket of plums or some empty jars and goes home with a bonus of jam and pickles in addition to his fee.

Beautiful spring flowers Ren. We seem to have had a shortage of impatiens seedlings over the past few years. I think I heard that there was some sort of disease affecting the growers' ability to supply.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 15 2011 05:48 AM

That IS your back garden isn't it QB?
Auntie I wish I could send you some I have so many different sorts, collected over the years.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 15 2011 11:54 AM

The entrance to a private estate in the middle of Surrey

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 15 2011 04:56 PM

Not a good day for photos

It stayed this way until mid-afternoon

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 15 2011 06:12 PM

Ewww! That had better clear up before I arrive in UK in April!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 15 2011 07:10 PM

Just in case you've missed him -Butu inna bed....

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 15 2011 09:26 PM

My family visited on the weekend, and were fed corned beef with cabbage, carrots, mash and mustard gravy - always a favourite.
I found myself singing to my grandson, "Boiled Beef and Carrots", much to his amusement.
I had heard it from my mother, whose father was a devotee of the Music Halls of London. So it now passes to another generation.

The leftovers were mixed together and re-cycled as Bubble'n'Squeak. Yummy.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 16 2011 12:13 AM

Who wanted bad weather? Luckily this is very rare for Caroline Bay in Timaru, New Zealand.....lol. This was a couple of winters ago I think.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 16 2011 12:59 AM

More impressively early stuff in the garden pots. Surprising as we had a long cold winter, for us.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 16 2011 06:30 AM

Cottesloe Beach (Western Australia) at sunset.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 16 2011 04:25 PM

Like the flowers and the sunset. Foggy today again lasted all day which limits photos choices but did get fog caught in a web

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 16 2011 07:17 PM

The left-hand side of my jewellery desk....

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 17 2011 03:23 PM

Now this is more typical of Caroline Bay and the view I get when walking home form the cental business district.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 17 2011 04:40 PM

Seagulls drinking salt water from a puddle on the steps at Cottesloe Beach.

The seagull's ability to survive drinking salt water is due to a pair of glands in the head, just above the eyes, which act as a miniature desalination plant. The excess salt is expelled from the glands via the nostrils. This expelled salt water is many times more salty than tears, about five times as salty as the gull's own blood and twice as salty as sea water.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 17 2011 07:35 PM

Better day today early mist soon went then mostly dry.Early evening visitor Mollie

She has grown

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 17 2011 07:44 PM

A high plain in south Hertfordshire with views in all directions, the M1 motorway runs along the left.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 17 2011 11:11 PM

An unusual waterlily, bearing three distinct, albeit distorted, flower heads on one stalk. In addition there's another tiny bud with a short wiry stem growing from the mass.
I hope the next one will be normal!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 18 2011 05:54 PM

Weather greatly improved today bright and sunny but with a cold breeze blowing.
Large sundial the local council erected in a wildlife park that was included in a business park

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 18 2011 06:12 PM

The right-hand side of my jewellery desk

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 18 2011 06:43 PM

Another rural view in the middle of nowhere near the other one

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 07:35 AM

Here's my view of the "Supermoon" of March 19th.
Posted by: Mugaboo

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 11:30 AM

A road over a bleak Scottish moor, taken today.

Dava moor, looking south.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 02:23 PM

This was from July 2009 lookikng west from Timaru, around 8am in a cold wnter morning. The full moon above the snow covered foothills with the sun rising behind me making a pink glow to the clouds. Unfortunately I could not move the power lines.....lol
Posted by: tellywellies

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 02:47 PM

I'm quite pleased with tonight's Moon photo. Some cropping away of the surrounding night sky but otherwise just as it came off the camera. Camera on a tripod. 18x zoom.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 03:36 PM

Loving all your rural pictures, Sat smile. They take me back to Jane Austen's novels and The Lord of the Rings, combined!

And wow, those moon pictures are beautiful! Tellywellies, that picture is simply amazing.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 05:48 PM

An interesting sky over the Malverns...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 05:51 PM

One of the NC Museum of Art's reflecting fountains

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 07:14 PM

Segedunum Roman Fort, Baths & Museum

Segedunum is the most excavated Fort along Hadrians Wall and has a large interactive museum plus a 35 metre high viewing tower providing outstanding views across this World Heritage Site.
The red brick buildings were part of Swan Hunters Shipyard.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 07:22 PM

This headstone in a Busselton churchyard intrigued me. Who was "Aunt Fanny"? Why isn't her last name recorded on the headstone? I did some research on the internet and it appears that her last name was Brockman. The Brockmans were a well-known early pioneering family in Western Australia's history. However, apart from that I could not find out anything about her. Gee, I'm nosy but I am really curious about this. It just seems strange that a headstone from that era would not carry the person's correct name but instead a casual "Aunt Fanny".

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 08:08 PM

Could she have been a servant? I mean as in the case of the slaves in the Southern states of USA they called them by the name of the family they worked for. Could she have been a native Australian, for instance?

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 08:30 PM

"Could she have been a servant? I mean as in the case of the slaves in the Southern states of USA they called them by the name of the family they worked for. Could she have been a native Australian, for instance?"

We actually discussed this in the car on the drive home from Busselton and agreed it was the most likely explanation. The fact that there is no birthdate, just the age, would support that too.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 19 2011 09:41 PM

It was a beautiful, sunny springlike day today so I went for a walk. This sign caught my eye, especially as there were benches out on the ice. I'm guessing it was thick enough to skate on a few weeks ago.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 20 2011 05:32 PM

Recently several days of Blackhawk pilot training took place over the Melbourne CBD.
They used the sky over my neighbourhood to turn and return to the city.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 20 2011 05:49 PM

Thanks minkpenny, I've covered so much of London now since 2005 that I've got to go further afield to cover new areas. Here's another straight road (mostly), the A30 passing Wentworth golf course in Surrey.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 20 2011 06:13 PM

I lost my camera today. :-(

So no more Butu pictures for a very long time until I can afford to replace it. Here is a picture of my polishing machine. Note the state-of-the-art shield (aka Cardboard box)

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 20 2011 07:14 PM

Awww, so sorry to hear about the camera. Was it stolen? That is awful.

The mountains in China in the morning mist from my back garden.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 20 2011 09:54 PM

A pair of swans they must be used to people coming to feed them as they came out of the water as soon as they saw me

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 21 2011 10:59 AM

This is the unofficial national symbol of Spain, the Osborne bull

The Osborne sherry company erected these approximately 14 metre high silhouette billboard images as advertising for the their brandy known as "Veterano" originally when the images where erected as early as 1956, they had the word "Veterano" written across the bull in bright red, in 1994 when it was no longer allowed to advertise alcohol, they completely blackened then out. There are approximately 90 bulls throughout Spain and they are usually found on small hills near major roads throughout Spain.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 21 2011 11:29 AM

Super picture smile Love that bull!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 21 2011 12:41 PM

A nice bungalow near Chertsey, I couldn't avoid the trees as the sun was blocking every other direction.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 21 2011 07:30 PM

Newcastle's Chinatown - Stowell Street

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 21 2011 07:35 PM

Eye of a zebra...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 21 2011 07:36 PM

Stolen? Dropped and 'picked up', I think. I loved that little camera :-(

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 21 2011 08:05 PM

http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/faces/faces_49.gif

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 21 2011 10:13 PM

Oh yay! The black bull grin Great picture, szabs! I remember waiting to spot those billboards on the road when my family and I visited our relatives in Spain. It brought back some good memories, thanks smile
Posted by: mehaul

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 22 2011 12:09 AM

I haven't been here before this to thank Szabs for the come back on Semana Santa. That Pix is just outside the Catherdral's minaret-turned-belltower, si?

Here is my Bougainvillea. It would be a little fuller but I missed a pruning iteration (I suffer from recurring bouts of Imlazyitis). Right after I took this pix, a cat bird was startled by the flash and flew out of the center of the bush. So, it's in there somewhere in this image but I can't find him.
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 22 2011 12:32 AM

Been away more than I've been here, so have catching up to do yet AGAIN...
In no particular order:

Mugaboo: breathtaking view of the moor!

TellyW: now THAT's certainly a super-moon alright!

Zorba: those striped squirrels look a lot like our chipmunks

Howie: love the Captain Can statue (and the kiwi of course lol)

Copago: I had NO idea yabbies were that big, looks like QUITE the feast : )

Satguru: I especially liked the Claygate picture - all that GREEN (wistful sigh)

Gees: Thanks for all the cool info attached to many of your pictures - very interesting. Great shot of the web too.

MotherGoose: Re: that statue - talk about being in the right place at the right time : ) But I really really liked your two beach pictures.

QB: fabulous "vista" photo looking out between the rocks - where was it taken?

Auntie: that virus is a nasty one. Took a full day for me to remove from hubby's old laptop. Three months later he had it again. "Um, honey? Did you ever actually RUN the anti virus and anti malware programs I put on there?... "the WHAT?" (the second time around I told him to just take it in and get it wiped as I wasn't spending another MINUTE on it lol).

Szabs: there's hardly ANYone in the Rock of Gilbrater picture.. what time of day did you have to go take it? lol LOVE the "bull-boards", they're a hoot!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 22 2011 06:51 AM

Oops, I forgot to post a picture lol.

Ren: that's the view from your backyard? Oh my........

Ren/Mehaul: The flowers are all gorgeous, especially to me, since it will be "awhile" before we can plant anything here. This picture was taken on Feb 28th (the day before we left for Mexico). Please note that the brick lamp post (that hubby had to UNbury) in the left foreground is 44 inches tall...

We picked a good time to go away. Apparently the temps were between minus 25 and minus 42C. Even our 10 year old outdoor thermometer succumbed to the cold.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 22 2011 08:56 AM

Wow! That looks like one of the winter wonderland postcards, Jake. smile

Hungry anyone?

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 22 2011 09:00 AM

Jake - the 'vista' photo was taken at the Neptune mineral baths complex in Ischia. IIRC, it was just to the left of the 'natural sauna' picture. The mist you can see in the centre is steam rising from the fissures in the rocks...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 22 2011 09:58 AM

Minkpenny, when I was a kid I didn't live in Spain, but I came for holidays with my parents, I too was always on the lookout for the bulls as we drove across the country, My Dad used to tell me that they followed us around the country just to make sure that we were safe.

Mehaul - It's a big SI, you must have a great memory!

Jakeroo - as Gibraltar is only 90 kms from my house we usually drive there very early in the morning in order to avoid the long queues at the border (depending how the police feel that day), so the pic was taken about 7.30am, we try to be out by 11 am, before the hoards of people start flocking in. On another note, although your picture of your snowed in house is beautiful, I really don't think I could cope with that amount of snow much less your temperature!!!, I think 12º C is freezing.

QB - I absolutely LOVE your zebra, and I am really sorry about your camera.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 22 2011 10:01 AM

Oops forgot to put the picture in.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 22 2011 06:09 PM

A picture from my favourite 3 day event, Barbury...

Thanks, szabs - so am I :-( I had some great pics for you guys, and loldogs...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 22 2011 06:39 PM

Woodford Green on the Essex border

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 12:37 AM

QB - so sorry about your camera. I hope you have enough of your beautiful shots on file until you get a new one.
mehaul - gorgeous bougainvillea. Imlazyitis is a contagious condition. I suffer recurrent bouts!
Jakeroo - your snowy house is so picturesque, but I wouldn't want to live there (no offence).
Sharon - those bananas are so tempting. They are in short supply here since Cyclone Yasi and floods hit Queensland.:-(

I'm not sure what the insect is, but it's quite tiny since the miniature rose is only about 1.5 inches.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 01:01 AM

Beautiful rose!

here is a pumpkin vine that sprung up near the chook house - we suppose it happened because of the kitchen scraps. There's pumpkins on there already about the size of a softball. I think we'll be sick of them by the end of winter!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 01:24 AM

A few fellow walkers moooooooving along near Dashing Rocks in Timaru in January.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 06:03 AM

My people are very proud Cornish, but having lived in Gloucestershire for many years , there are parts of that county that also leave me gasping. Here is a little lane in Ledbury. The pub dates from 15 something and it is a beautifully maintained town.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 10:44 AM

I love such quaint, cobblestoned paths - one of my favourite things about Europe.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 03:46 PM

Like mushrooms these tower blocks have spread after being seeded by one. Or that's how it looks anyway.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 05:17 PM

Quote:
I think we'll be sick of them by the end of winter!

I wouldn't be - I love pumpkin! We never used to have it when I was a child because my father hated it and my mother didn't care one way or the other. One day I asked my father why he hated pumpkin. He said it was because it tasted like shoe polish. Not intending to be a smart-aleck, I asked him when did he eat shoe polish and I got a clip around the ear for being cheeky. My grandmother knew I liked pumpkin and she knew I never got it at home, so she always cooked pumpkin when I went to visit her. That's one of my fondest memories of my grandma.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 05:42 PM

West window Gloucester Cathedral

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 08:27 PM

That's stunning, Ren!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 23 2011 10:23 PM

Bob the Builder - Can We Fix It?

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/ozedawn/Trivia%20March%202011/zoo28may094.jpg

Yes We Can!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 24 2011 09:43 AM

On Old Arab door in todays modern world.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 24 2011 08:08 PM

My camera was handed in! {*Really* Happy Beagle Dance!}
This is the park where I dropped it. Fans of British TV may recognise it as where Wendy Craig agonised over her life in "Butterflies".

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 24 2011 08:54 PM

Great news Quiz Beagle! A collective sigh of relief from all of us.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 24 2011 09:15 PM

That is wonderful news Quiz Beagle! smile

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 24 2011 10:15 PM

Wow, that park is a legend QB- I've been to Cheltenham once but never actually had a clue where I'd have found it. Great news about the camera- I'd always be more concerned over the photos I'd lost as you can't replace those- and have lost hundreds over the years when the film didn't load but just had to live with that as what else can I do.

This is a typical English country view in Ware, about 20 miles north of London

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 25 2011 01:12 AM

Be a while before they're ready but here you go MG laugh

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 25 2011 02:56 AM

Mmmm - pumpkin soup with a hint of cardamom or maybe nutmeg. Fresh crusty bread.....

If I try to grow pumpkins they always get powdery mildew, so I've stopped trying.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 25 2011 03:37 AM

Copago, can I come for dinner when they are ready?

This is the Busselton Jetty (pier), south of Perth. It is the longest wooden jetty in the southern hemisphere and I believe it is the second longest in the world (only narrowly beaten by Southend pier in UK). It is 1841 km or 1.14 miles long. At the end of it is an underwater observatory - will post photos I took in the observatory later on.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 25 2011 03:49 AM

Oooh Sharon, wonderful news! Yes I have lovely memories of that park.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 25 2011 10:39 AM

For a while there, I was scrolling up and down wondering what good news I had given. laugh

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 25 2011 05:48 PM

Butu makes a friend...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 25 2011 07:15 PM

I was on the land end of Southend pier long ago with a friend in the amusement arcade and were so busy we missed the train to the end (over a mile) and walked, and were given certificates on arrival for each person who does. I don't know what I've done with it now but hope it turns up now.

These no entry signs were abolished in 1963, the writing being removed to be in line with the rest of Europe (despite not being connected to it). The catseyes are even older, being withdrawn about 1953, and one of only 3 known to survive in Britain, and actually on a public road which is the first I've got on one personally as they are all incredibly rare.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 25 2011 08:15 PM

To the best of my knowledge, they don't give out certificates at Busselton. You can walk or take the train to the end of the jetty where there is an underwater observatory. We took the train because (a) we were short of time, (b) the train ride was included in the cost of admission to the observatory so you had to pay for it anyway, and (c) we were lazy!

This is inside the observatory. (Does Southend have an underwater observatory at the end of it?) I'm setting the scene for tomorrow's pic which will be a closeup through that window. My camera has an "aquarium" setting as well as an underwater setting, so this excursion was the perfect opportunity to play with it.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Fri Mar 25 2011 10:47 PM

I haven't shared a photo of Precious for awhile, so here she is, enjoying the spring sunshine.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 26 2011 03:43 AM

Ooops sorry Sharon I meant QB of course.!!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 26 2011 05:28 AM

I'm waiting to see the close up, MG. smile

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 26 2011 05:14 PM

It's lovely to see Precious looking so fit and happy.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 26 2011 05:19 PM

Willow in the Park...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 26 2011 06:41 PM

From the underwater observatory - a close up of one of the pylons holding up the pier. You can't see the wood because the pylon is totally covered with marine life.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sat Mar 26 2011 07:58 PM

A typical country road in Essendon north of London

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 27 2011 01:49 AM

The Officers Club at Alcatraz, if this was how the officers were treated then the prisoners....lol

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 27 2011 03:42 PM

I love seeing your SF pics, Howie .. it's not often I an say "I've been there!" lol

This was the view on the way home from a party yesterday. Was a three hour trip and the game of eye-spy didn't last very long.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Sun Mar 27 2011 03:53 PM

Quote:
the game of eye-spy didn't last very long.

I can see that it wouldn't! Or what about The Number Plate Game, or Car Makes, or Spot the Pub name? Nah!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 28 2011 05:18 AM

Another item from my daughter's teapot collection.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 28 2011 05:30 AM

Just below the surface of the water.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 28 2011 07:15 AM

This doesn't look very exciting, until you see each flar as a future mango. Woohoo! Our little tree only produced 3 last year but this looks promising for May.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 28 2011 10:48 AM

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 28 2011 05:22 PM

So happy to have the camera back, I'm playing with all the modes - like Flower...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 28 2011 08:11 PM

The standard view of Windsor Castle, with the Victoria memorial in front

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Mon Mar 28 2011 11:43 PM

Bourgainvillae grow wild here. This is just up the road on a piece of waste land. The commonest colour is this red. I like it though.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 29 2011 06:00 PM

Spring is definitely here now

Daffodils and in the background cherry trees in blossom

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 29 2011 06:25 PM

More spring foliage...

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 29 2011 07:40 PM

The crooked house cafe next to Windsor Castle

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Tue Mar 29 2011 09:44 PM

QB: in the Malverns pic, was something on fire? And thank you for the info re: the vista - beautiful! And SO glad you got your "baby" back : )

SpanishLiz: As of today, we still have one stormwater lake open for public skating. I believe we set a new record as it's been designated "safe" since Dec 15. I don't personally consider that a "good thing" lol. So glad for Precious that she has green grass to chew on. My Zoe has had "spring fever" for about 3 weeks now, but it's still too cold for her to go outside.

Szabs: Ty for the explanation, I sort of figured it must have been something like that. Btw, LOVE the arab door - oh my!

Ren: Ok, that's IT. I'm definitely putting Gloucester on my list of "places to visit before I die".

Zorba: re: our snow. Glad you liked it, but it doesn't look like a "picture postcard" to me. It just looks like WORK lol

Auntie: well judging by your photos, I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to live here. I am EVER so jealous!

Rather than torture you all further with more snow pictures, am posting the first orchid to bloom in my house in 2011:

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 30 2011 01:07 AM

Can't compete with that . But here is a little passionflar from the wall of the school over the road.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 30 2011 11:34 AM

Peascod Street, the main shopping street in Windsor which has been pedestrianised, along with the bridge over the Thames a bit further up the road.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 30 2011 11:43 AM

Twenty years ago I spent many happy evenings in a wine-bar-come-restaurant on that road, thanks for the memories! smile

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 30 2011 05:34 PM

More Spring flowers

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 30 2011 06:26 PM

Window of Notre Dame

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Wed Mar 30 2011 06:44 PM

Aha I knew it would come to me. Next Theme: "Pretty Windows!"

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 31 2011 04:20 AM

Here's a little sampan in the harbour,specially employed to pick up floating rubbish.
Here it is in action!

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 31 2011 03:34 PM

March being over here, I will close this in a few hours, and welcome all our lovely contributors to April.

Re: March Photo a Day thread - Thu Mar 31 2011 08:48 PM