May Photo-a-day

Posted by: Copago

May Photo-a-day - Sat Apr 30 2011 06:16 PM

Post your photos here for May.
I look forward to seeing them laugh
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 01 2011 04:48 AM

Well, let me start May with May. smile

"Ne'er cast a clout till May be out" - well, this sort of May is out anyway. smile

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 01 2011 03:36 PM

and a lovely start it is!

another sunset

Posted by: Quiz_Beagle

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 01 2011 04:34 PM

Badminton Horse Trials 2011 - a vista. From a Beagle determined to post a photo a day this month...

Posted by: Howie72

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 01 2011 05:39 PM

Still nothing too exciting, a river and cactus between Pheonix and Flagstaff. The amazing thing with this photo is I had to take out of the window of a moving bus, looking across the road with vehicles coming toward me, trees and road signs in the way but somehow I got it with the river in this position and nothing in the way....lol
Posted by: satguru

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 01 2011 07:09 PM

I have been to the middle of nowhere (w) today, here is a picture of a road on the way to Frimley chosen for the colours.

Posted by: Gees63

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 01 2011 07:46 PM

A colourful start for May . One of the local bus companies colours the buses according to the routes they are on. This example goes to the "Angel of The North" the public art statue pictured on the side of the bus.

The Angel of the North is a contemporary sculpture designed by Antony Gormley, which is located in Gateshead, England.
It is a steel sculpture of an angel, standing 20 metres (66 ft) tall, with wings measuring 54 metres (177 ft) across. The wings themselves are not planar, but are angled 3.5º forward, which Gormley used to create "a sense of embrace".
It stands on a hill on the southern edge of Low Fell, overlooking the A1 and A167 roads into Tyneside, and the East Coast Main Line rail route, south of the site of Team Colliery.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 02 2011 05:19 AM

I went down the lane last night and poked my nose over Earl Spencer's back wall to watch the sun set over Althorp:

Posted by: szabs

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 02 2011 06:44 AM

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 02 2011 01:07 PM

Nature being very artistic there, and happy birthday szabs!

This is a typical 1960s suburban row of bungalows in Frimley

Posted by: Quiz_Beagle

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 02 2011 05:17 PM

Butu was six months old today - here he is in his half-birthday present...

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 02 2011 06:55 PM

Great picture of Butu - sugested tune for it "Desperado" The Eagles

Got this picture too late for the " There Was A ....."

Nothing exotic a common house fly
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 02 2011 09:58 PM

Great photos! Butu is gorgeous, and great capture of the fly!

Here are some spring flowers. These daffodils were blown down by high winds the other day, so my sister brought them in from her garden to use to brighten up the dinner table.

Posted by: auntie1

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 02 2011 10:12 PM

Happy Birthday szabs!

Can anyone identify this flower? My brother gave me a small clump, which has begun to spread at a rapid rate. Brother called it a Cobra Lily, but it's certainly not the insectivorous plant which goes by that name. The flower is about 7cm from base to tip.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 03 2011 06:11 AM

Thanks Satguru and Auntie smilee

The wisteria is out in full bloom now.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 03 2011 05:59 PM

My next stop on the travels was Texas and this is the main street of Anton where I stayed with a friend.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 03 2011 06:12 PM

More of the middle of nowhere just outside Frimley

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 03 2011 06:56 PM

Another pest from the garden

Ready to take over the lawn along with the daisies and clover
Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 04 2011 07:43 AM

I've been away this past week but it was lovely catching up with all the photos.

Dawn, that flower really does remind me of a cobra!

Belated birthday wishes, Andrea. smile

St. Lawrence Church, Mangalore

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 04 2011 10:03 AM

Thanks Shannon smile

Two geckos enjoying the sun.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 04 2011 05:13 PM

I have posted this totally anonymous photo for a reason. My current project (I always need to collect something or I get very frustrated) is collecting photos for the website which provides a photographic library of the British Isles. As we get a point for every 1km (it's Britain but the maps are already metric unlike the roads) square then as well as actually going somewhere new to take photos many of us stop the car every half mile or so and take whatever's there. As junctions are the likeliest places to stop then I at least have a growing collection of desolate traffic lights and roundabouts, simply as my only chance to get a record of the area between where I started needing new squares to my destination. This is in Brookwood, just as I started/ended (I either cover the same road or preferably a round trip with a different way back to double the coverage) my official photo taking route that day.

Posted by: golfmom08

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 04 2011 05:53 PM

This is four week old Bailey. I posted a pic of her when she was born on Mar 7, 2011. She's very lively with all four feet off the ground!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 04 2011 05:59 PM

Correction: She was born April 7.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 04 2011 07:53 PM

Marvellous pic of Bailey.

Picture of the stag from a couple of weeks ago, his antlers have now gone

Unfortunately he would not cooperate and come closer

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 05 2011 06:29 PM

Magnolia.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 05 2011 06:46 PM

Wild roses in Long Ditton, Surrey

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 05 2011 07:04 PM

While taking our dog Lady for a walk I noticed several bushes with these small attractive flowers. I have no idea what they are but they brighten things up

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 05 2011 09:57 PM

Love the geckos! Bailey is gorgeous and so are all the Spring flowers smile

Here, Precious greets her friend Buddy, who wants to play. Moments later their leads were all tangled and Precious said something that sounded like "Sccccchhhcchhhhsssss". Buddy still wanted to play...

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 06 2011 05:48 PM

Sharing a field pigeons and piglets

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 06 2011 08:32 PM

My friend and his dog in what was once my local park. I think the rules allow the back of people.

Posted by: Nannanut

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 06 2011 11:01 PM

And dogs.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 07 2011 05:14 AM

The deer looks kind of sad!
Bailey is gorgeous!
Great pics everyone laugh

only took this with my ipod today as we were mustering sheep with shearing starting on Monday (expect to see lots more sheep lol). They're about the same colour as the grass at the moment which makes finding them a little tricky.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 07 2011 06:15 AM

Took me a while to spot them, Copago. Nice shot.

Pretty flowers, Gees.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 07 2011 06:17 PM

I've had problems downloading from camera to computer, so haven't posted for a while. frown
But I've enjoyed all your interesting contributions!

Donning my "Gran" hat, I volunteered to check and refurbish all my grandson's outgrown knitwear. A couple of seams needing extra stitches, tighten some buttons, handwash, etc.
I highly recommend the battery-operated fuzz remover!
So here's the first batch of hand-me-downs for next grandchild, due in July.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 07 2011 06:32 PM

More backs today, some road activity on the M25 junction in Abbots Langley.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 07 2011 07:34 PM

An old fashioned mile post on the road from Newcastle to the coast

Obviously made for reading from a slower moving vehicle than todays
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 02:17 AM

My new toy! It's called a Thermomix. I believe these are not available in America although they are popular in Europe and recently introduced to Australia. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it does the following:

(this is cut and pasted from the Thermomix UK website):

Thermomix is a super fast food blender and processor that also weighs, cooks, simmers and steams!

One Thermomix with One Bowl and One Blade can do all this:

Thermomix weighs - with built-in electronic scales
Thermomix grates - nuts, cheese, chocolate, parmesan
Thermomix mills - rice, grains and pulses to flour
Thermomix purées - vegetables, fruits, baby food
Thermomix grinds - coffee beans, sugar to icing sugar, wet or dry spices
Thermomix blends - soups, smoothies, milkshakes and sauces
Thermomix cooks, boils & simmers - soups, sauces, preserves, pulses, complete meals
Thermomix steams - vegetables, meat, fish, fruits, rice, pasta
Thermomix crushes - ice, cocktails, ice creams, sorbet
Thermomix whisks - egg whites, cappuccino-style foam on soups and milk, zabaglione
Thermomix emulsifies - salad dressings, mayonnaise, batters, cream
Thermomix kneads - bread dough, pizza dough, pasta dough, pastry, scones
Thermomix chops & minces - nuts, herbs, vegetables, salads, meats
Thermomix heats baby food to 37oC
Thermomix holds chocolate at 37oC

......and after all this add some water and washing up liquid and Thermomix cleans itself!

Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 02:59 AM

With all those buttons and knobs, I bet it has a manual that is 5cm thick! smile

PS- Can it make toast?

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 05:49 AM

lol ozzz!
"Howdy doodly do. How's it going? I'm Talkie, Talkie Toaster, your chirpy breakfast companion."
Forgive us MG, if a couple of Aussies can't take the mickey, who can?

Seriously though, I could not attack some of my kitchen hobbies without the aid of a food processor and the Kenwood Chef with various attachments. The spirit is willing, but the wrists are weak!

Your new appliance looks great. Hope it gives you many years of satisfaction.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 05:51 AM

Since today it's Mother's Day here...

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 06:40 AM

Mothergoose - I am glad you posted that picture I have never seen one before, although we have regular calls from sellers to come and give me a free demonstration, I have always declined, enjoy your new toy!

Shannon I LOVE the cat picture, they are so cute together.

This picture is taken at an Andalucian Horse show.

This is a Pure Spanish Horse, more commonly known as an Andalucian Horse.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 07:37 AM

szabs, I only have one question, well, maybe 3 questions: Did you do the braiding of the mane? How long did it take? Did the horse stand still for it? It is very beautiful and I'm truly impressed knowing how hard it can be to braid a horses mane.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 11:17 AM

Golfmom - The horse named Bianca belongs to a friend of mine, his daughter is the one who braided her, I know the horse very well and she is as good as gold, but when she is being groomed they bribe her constantly with apples and what nots hence she stays quite still. The braiding is normally done the night before and it takes her about an hour. They prefer doing this diamond/latice braid mainly because it allows the horse to move its neck more freely.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 01:04 PM

Stokes Field in Long Ditton

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 02:09 PM

Another pic of Bailey. She's very photogenic! I hope you're not bored with her!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 02:19 PM

She's smirking! LOL. Who's a pretty girl then?

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 08 2011 04:46 PM

Quote:
Howdy doodly do. How's it going? I'm Talkie, Talkie Toaster, your chirpy breakfast companion."
Forgive us MG, if a couple of Aussies can't take the mickey, who can?

Please take the mickey all you want. In the short time it took you to type your post, I made a lemon sorbet! smilee

P.S. Love all the animal pictures, particularly Mother cat and kitten.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 12:06 AM

This is the traffic roundabout near our local shops.
At this time of year the flowering eucalypts are alive with noisy
Rainbow Lorikeets feeding on the nectar.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 04:08 AM

Bailey is absolutely adorable, we'll never get bored of her!!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 12:12 PM

Szabs' photo of the gecko reminded me of this one I recently took at my mother's house. I went to use the smallest room of the house and found I was not alone! This little fellow was sheltering behind the toilet roll.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 02:05 PM

We had house geckos in our flat in Singapore - they were quite nice to have around but they would insist on leaving their calling cards behind the sofa. It was one of the main things that made me want to have an amah!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 02:16 PM

A rural scene on the edge of London in Malden. The manor house next to a church

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 04:34 PM

Quote:
...but they would insist on leaving their calling cards behind the sofa...

Obviously my little gecko is toilet-trained! laugh
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 06:07 PM

Gees: be careful. Satguru is likely to want that sign! lol

Satguru: I think the Stokes pic is my favourite of yours so far. I'm always truly amazed that you are able to take so many pictures with absolutely no people in them! Honestly, until I viewed these boards, I didn't think there were any unoccupied spaces in England lol

Zorba: awwwwwwww on the cats. Adorable pic ("mom" is sooooo skinny though!)

Love the horses golfmom, please don't stop posting them.

Szabs: fabulous picture of the "do" (gorgeous horse too!). I have a grandniece who would LOVE to have me braid her hair like that! Will have to go to the dollar store and pick up about 30 mini hair-twisties lol

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 08:01 PM

Here's a little break from Bailey, she'll be back tomorrow! Here is a set of jump standards that I repainted. They needed to be updated and fresh and I felt quite artistic as I painted. Please don't look too closely!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 08:04 PM

I'm loving all these pictures. I'm getting a new perspective on England, as I only know what I see on tv or the movies.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 08:30 PM

I think that's a family trait, Jake. You'd know if you saw me, mom or gran. wink

Love that rural scene, Sat. Especially the well (at least that's what I think it is).

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 09 2011 08:50 PM

A statue which represents a woman from Roman times going to market. This is in the centre of Wallsend at an open part of the high street

Why the local authority chose to surround the statue with a hedge I have no idea perhaps it is to discourage the chickens from making a bid for freedom

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 10 2011 02:58 AM

A quick journey back to New Zealand. Looking south from the pedestrian bridge across the rail tracks in Timaru, the railway station is a couple of buildings down on the right. However it is not used any more for passenger trains. The clay cliffs to the right contain air raid shelters from World War II.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 10 2011 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: zorba_scank

Love that rural scene, Sat. Especially the well (at least that's what I think it is).

That's a gate... a lychgate - a gate covered with a roof. They're quite common in England, especially in rural churches.

Here's another picture of England with no people. smile I actually thought it would be bustling, as I went to the canal on a sunny Bank Holiday, when the crowds are out and about, when the canal boat holiday season has just begun, and English people love to go messing about on the water... but they clearly went somewhere else!

This is the start of the Northampton Arm - 17 locks in a four mile stretch, linking the Grand Union Canal to the River Nene, thus creating a route from the canals in the Midlands to the North Sea.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 10 2011 12:08 PM

Thanks everyone, I tend to spot nice views automatically and now I can carry a digital camera around wherever I go have created a vast collection. This is the path along the Hogsmill river in Malden, I have so many almost identical ones around London but each one is a different place although it would be pretty hard to tell which was which.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 10 2011 08:20 PM

Here's Bailey again! Leaning against Mom.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 11 2011 02:55 PM

Bailey is cute!

Been very busy here but here's a shed full of sheep ready to be shorn .. none of whom wanted to look at me.
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 11 2011 03:50 PM

What a lot of sheep!!!

I took a half-day from work today and brought my youngster to the local zoo. The giraffes, as always, were a big hit:

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 11 2011 05:17 PM

Richmond Park at Roehampton

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 11 2011 08:49 PM

Back to the nest at the end of the day

If it had been after shearing the sheep could have been giving you the cold shoulder

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 11 2011 09:27 PM

This old truck, on display in the Distillery District of Toronto, gives new meaning to the phrase "rust bucket", methinks.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 12 2011 10:50 AM

I didn't realise Bailey is so small. Nice pic, GM.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 12 2011 03:29 PM

Lovely colours Gees, I've never seen a violet sunset before.

This is a rather unusual concrete bridge carrying the trains to Malden Manor up the line.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 12 2011 06:49 PM

The violet sunset was a surprise to me I thought I was taking dark red clouds in an almost dark sky , the lightness of the sky and reflection were unexpected,I am not sure if it is the camera or the low light conditions which are the main reason. I just put it down to a happy accident.

A picture of Lady this afternoon in the garden at the time around which she normally gets fed concentrating on watching my wife to see if she is going for the food

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 12 2011 10:19 PM

Lady looks very focused! Precious likes to hide in the long grass!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 13 2011 02:31 AM

We have a similar truck in a similar state rusting away here smile

Here's a newer truck taking away our first load of wool for shearing. Always good to see it go. smile

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 13 2011 05:06 AM

"Ahem.... our food bowl is almost empty. Don't make me angry."

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 13 2011 04:50 PM

One of my occasional photos of my mum's garden, the gardener had just been so all newly shaped.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 13 2011 07:54 PM

Auntie that is definitely a cat not to be trifled with - great picture

Lady is focused on the kitchen window looking for any sign of her food being set out in her bowl

Sometimes when a wave of nostalgia hits and memories of developing and printing and darkrooms overcome me the only cure is a black and white picture

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 14 2011 12:41 AM

Typical style of Hindu temples in South India

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 14 2011 03:41 AM

Just so the northerly direction does not feel left out, looking towards Caroline Bay from the pedestrian bridge over the rail tracks in Timaru.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 14 2011 04:45 AM

Beautiful pictures all.

Auntie - You better feed that cat quickly or you may regret it!
Gees - The sunset and the black and white picture are breathtaking.

I guess this fishing boat had a good catch, or at least the seagulls think so.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 14 2011 05:48 PM

The stag was in posing mood today so got a much better picture of him minus antlers

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 14 2011 06:09 PM

The cafe in Golders Hill Park from the inside, next to Hampstead Heath (the trees are the edge of it).

Posted by: ren33

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 14 2011 07:18 PM

Here is one of my trip to UK, An archway near Gloucester Cathedral.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 14 2011 07:41 PM

Bailey is 3/4 Welsh pony, 1/4 Quarterhorse. She's only 5 weeks old and won't get very big, maybe 13 hands high. My daughters not here to help me post a pic. I'm not very computer literate and she's a big help.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 14 2011 07:42 PM

The stag looks like he's coming at you!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 14 2011 09:59 PM

Szabs, thanks for another great photo that brings back memories for me! Love that cat, and the stag is amazing. Bailey is gorgeous, and Auntie Ren, I envy you the visit to Gloucester!

The feet in these red high heels all belong to great hulking men, who participated in a charity "walk a mile in their shoes" walk today. They did remarkably well, especially considering the rain!

Apologies for the fuzziness, but it was the only shot I got that was more of the shoes than of the people in them.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 15 2011 05:50 AM

Sharon, the Hindu temple is so lofty, does the architecture include useable levels above ground floor? Just wondering.....
spanishliz, I no longer hanker for red high heels, but it's a comfort to see that somewhere in the world women's shoes are available in mens' sizes - I've got SUCH big feet!

My domestic "chook" flock had dwindled to one, so I needed a couple of young hens.
Daughter and family insisted I wait until the weekend so they could accompany me.
Quite a long drive from suburbia to a farmlet where this was one of the sights.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 15 2011 08:05 AM

That Cockrell looks very purposeful!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 15 2011 08:23 AM

I'm not sure, Dawn. There was a really long line, so I didn't enter.

The red shoe race looks like good fun, at least for those watching. wink

The chook photo reminded me of this one.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 15 2011 09:11 AM

I like hens, they may not be the smartest birds on the planet but they definitely have a sense of purpose. I liked these - they have feathered feet:

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 15 2011 03:29 PM

such a great variety of pics!

Here's the wool getting pressed. The bloke jams a few fleeces in then (thanks to hydraulics!) presses it down until there's about 30 fleeces or 200kg in each bale.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 15 2011 05:19 PM

A view of Fernhurst in Sussex

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 15 2011 06:20 PM

Looking east from our back garden on Saturday evening about 6.00pm. the sky above me and to the west is clear blue with the sun shining brightly

The only editing I have done is to crop a little from the bottom and sides of the picture(a bit of the fence and the houses) the sky although it looks as though it has been adjusted to grey-scale is untouched

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 15 2011 07:26 PM

Bailey is eating mom's food. I don't know where mom was, she won't let her do this anymore!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 12:08 AM

One of a pair of fantails that were around on Sunday. The were flittering everywhere and never resting on anything so I was luckly to get this one with its tail fanned. Apologies for the photo quality but I just have a cheap camera and had to zoom.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 07:28 AM

Fantails are charming little birds. When I used to bushwalk, we would sometimes see rufous fantails in a moist fern gully. They usually did their wounded fluttering bird act to lure us away from the nest area.

With winter on the way, the sasanquas are the first camellias in bloom. There is a white one in the foreground with a pink one behind.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 08:08 AM

We had some good sunsets in UK as the weather was gorgeous

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 08:21 AM

Lovely sunset Ren

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 12:50 PM

I tried to get yout photo to show up but no go.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 02:11 PM

A sight we'll never see again in Britain, this one has just been sold and is one of the last standing although empty for well over a year.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 03:57 PM

Ah , well done! It is lovely. Yes a sad sight David. The one in Gloucester still stands empty after a year or so. They say it will soon be a Marks.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 04:21 PM

This is the 17th century house at Coton Manor, built from the local Northamptonshire sandstone. My house (which doesn't look a bit like that!) is built in one of the old quarries.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 05:32 PM

Another view of Wallsend Park

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 06:44 PM

Gees, that park could be anywhere in England, they've done a really nice job there. I have no idea if they are like that anywhere else but have seen them across the country here one way or another but not sure if it's our design. Any answers forthcoming from elsewhere?

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 16 2011 08:14 PM

A change from my normal species. This is Willie, very fierce!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 17 2011 03:55 AM

My, Willie, what big teeth you have!

Here's a sheep actually looking at me.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 17 2011 10:12 AM

Nil desperandum- I began taking photos of our pre-1964 road signs in 2008 when I came across a pair near me, and once you notice them you notice them all. Once Streetview arrived I 'walked' every road in and around London, extending further after it spread nationally a year later, and although there are always hidden corners didn't expect to find another direction sign a few miles from me. It was located exactly last night and I didn't wait till today to get it (especially as the traffic there is also horrendous) and also get far better results using the flash at night.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 17 2011 04:02 PM

Robert Raikes was born in Gloucester and formed a Sunday School for the children of Chimney sweeps etc here in this beautifully preserved house.
His schools were called "Ragged Schools" and were the first source of education in England for the poor. His statue is near the Savoy in London beside the Thames. An interesting guy.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 17 2011 07:40 PM

This is part of the farm where I work part-time. Believe it or not, we didn't get any rain from these gorgeous clouds.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 17 2011 08:18 PM

The local pond in the fading evening light

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 18 2011 02:17 AM

Quote:
The local pond in the fading evening light

ditto! laugh

It makes a long busy day worthwhile.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 18 2011 04:43 PM

Horses in a field in Claygate, although it was a huge field full of horses all the greys were together, presumably it's a family but amazing how they stick together nonetheless. I've never seen that happen before.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 18 2011 06:53 PM

My daughter walking her horse, Gus. This was a trip outside our property. satguru: I've seen cows group together by color!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 18 2011 07:41 PM

Copago that is something similar to what I was hoping for at our pond but nature did not cooperate.

Another view of Wallsend park showing the bandstand,which is quite modest larger and grander versions would be found in larger parks in bigger towns and cities.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 18 2011 08:18 PM

Beautiful horses, Sat.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 19 2011 12:26 AM

The one-eyed frog that's been visiting our bathroom for a while :p

Posted by: LeoDaVinci

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 19 2011 07:25 AM

Does he flush at least?
Posted by: zebra101

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 19 2011 03:47 PM

This is my first time posting on here. I love photography! smile

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 19 2011 04:09 PM

Welcome Zebra101, amazing sunset!

It looks like I've been to America, but it's Hemel Hempstead and unlike America there are only about three of these in the group unlike a hundred or more.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 19 2011 07:21 PM

What can I say? My daughter and her friends feet!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 19 2011 08:10 PM

Another view of one of our local ponds,normally seen from just off the top right of this pic

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 19 2011 08:53 PM

Life has been uneventful here lately. That's not a bad thing, but it doesn't lead to many photo opportunities!

This is one of the many species of Hakea. The flowers attract native birds, and the hard woody fruits eventually split to release winged seeds.
Posted by: sue943

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 20 2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted By: satguru
Gees, that park could be anywhere in England, they've done a really nice job there. I have no idea if they are like that anywhere else but have seen them across the country here one way or another but not sure if it's our design. Any answers forthcoming from elsewhere?

A park is a park is a park from what I can tell. Do you think park gardeners all attend the same course in planting? The park flower beds in Jersey look much the same. smile

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 20 2011 05:49 PM

I wondered that as well, the English ones certainly seem pretty similar wherever you go, and wondered if it was the same around the world. I've been to a few others over the years there but can't really remember many of them.

More of the British countryside, this is in Great Gaddesden

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 20 2011 05:50 PM

One of the many insects in Florida, an assassin bug.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 20 2011 09:47 PM

He would certainly assassinate ME. One look at him and that would be it.
Here's a Nana Tree in our village

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/rensara/UK2011103.jpg
nuther shot

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 04:25 AM

I really MUST correct you, bananas do NOT grow on trees, they grow on plants.

http://schools-wikipedia.org/wp/b/Banana.htm

I have visited a banana plantation in Tenerife on several occasions and they drum it into visitors that it is a plant, not a tree.

Sorry missus.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 11:13 AM

Hey, I've got a 'nana tree/plant/shrub as well! Puny little thing it is. No banana splits in my foreseeable future.
frown

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 11:15 AM

I have been attacking the brambles in my garden and this is to show my prgress, it is a pity that I didn't take a photo before I started.

Sara can vouch for the fact that I have done a huge amount and that is all today.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 11:25 AM

Stunning sunset, Zebra.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 12:01 PM

To Sue
Well actually Old Dear, you have not done too badly there.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 01:51 PM

This rat snake was in the middle of the road on our way home one afternoon. My daughter takes pictures of everything so there was no question that I would stop. At first, he was stretched out, but when my daughter went near he coiled up and struck at the camera. I've never seen anyone run backwards so fast! She did get some great pictures though.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 04:14 PM

Sunny English wall

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 04:56 PM

The Dunstable downs from the south

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 08:10 PM

Quote:
This rat snake was in the middle of the road on our way home one afternoon. My daughter takes pictures of everything so there was no question that I would stop. At first, he was stretched out, but when my daughter went near he coiled up and struck at the camera. I've never seen anyone run backwards so fast! She did get some great pictures though.

It's a great picture. I like snakes and I too would have stopped to take pictures. I held a red rat snake at the zoo a couple of years ago and I know they won't hurt you, but if it had coiled up and struck out at me, I would have run too!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 21 2011 08:23 PM

This red flowering gum was just teeming with bees.

P.S. Sorry I have been inactive here for a few weeks. Have had two lots of house guests, one after the other, so I haven't had a lot of time to myself. Took lots of photos but mostly of people, so not suitable to use here.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 22 2011 12:58 PM

This is Tina. She is in a field with no grass for a reason. Yet she finds a snack!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 22 2011 01:08 PM

More work done on the brambles in the garden.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 22 2011 06:07 PM

Another New Zealand photo before I head back to my travels. We are looking down the spillway at Benmore Dam in South Canterbury, one of the largest earth dams in the Southern hemisphere.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 22 2011 06:35 PM

Time for a memory. In 1969 I fell for a girl two years older than me on holiday who in turn was interested in someone four years older than she was. We did become friends, and the following year I took the train to stay the weekend with her in a wonderful 1960s bungalow in Wokingham. I've passed it many times since but not with a camera, but was there today specifically for that purpose, and although took some of the houses next door you could see, this was overgrown with trees but as it's the specific one you'll have to enjoy the garden instead.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 22 2011 07:24 PM

You've uncovered a beautiful rock wall!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 22 2011 09:20 PM

Newton watches through his front door, as Precious helps herself to his catnip plant!

Posted by: PDAZ

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 22 2011 10:12 PM

Lol -- I had to really look to spot Newton!

Here are some bats that I saw on a canoe trip in Costa Rica -- they were under a limb that hung over the river.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 05:50 AM

Good job on those brambles Sue. I've got some overhanging vines and a huge strelitzia which desperately need taming. The longer I delay, the more rampant they grow.

Latest report from my back yard. Here are my three new girls. From left Rocky, 1 year old and Snowflake and Oprah, point-of lay pullets. To the right is Henrietta, determined to remain Alpha female.
Chook-whispering has its drawbacks. I need to be there at bedtime and keep them apart until they are too drowsy to brawl over perching space.
Daytime is not a problem. There are enough places to hide if Henrietta gets bossy, although Rocky seems willing to stand up to her.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 08:44 AM

Today has seen more hacking back. You can see the progress by the position of the bird box. In the foreground is my mechanical goat.

Posted by: martin_cube

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 12:33 PM

I could scarcely believe it when I saw this sign.

You'd have thought they'd let me know they'd named a school department in my honoUr. smile

(NB: this is genuine, no Photoshopping* involved.)

*Other photograph trickery programs are available.
Posted by: bhs63

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 12:59 PM

Peony

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 02:01 PM

This is what yesterday's house looked like, but of the row of four that was the only overgrown one.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 06:44 PM

Wallsend Park again a recent addition to the park is this open-air gym

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 07:46 PM

Here are some Florida wildflowers. When the road crews cut the grass along the highways, they have to go around these flowers.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: auntie1
Latest report from my back yard. Here are my three new girls. From left Rocky, 1 year old and Snowflake and Oprah, point-of lay pullets.

We used to have a black hen named Oprah!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 08:28 PM

I had a furry visitor in my back yard today. Bunny was good enough to wait for me to get my camera and then hopped around and posed a bit smile

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 23 2011 09:54 PM

A bucket of baby sloths from the Sloth Sanctuary near Puerto Limon, Costa Rica...

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 01:39 AM

PDAZ: They're so small!! Very cute. I thought sloths only had one baby at a time... are they really triplets or did several mothers give birth around the same day?

Oh and the bats were adorable too with the little ones safe in mom's wings (yes, I know I'm weird lol)
Posted by: bhs63

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 12:03 PM

The baby sloths are adorable!!

Red Roses

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 01:02 PM

bhs: lovely roses. All your flower shots are breathtaking. Loved the peonies too.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 03:43 PM

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 03:53 PM

Zebra? Wow, where have you been "hiding" all this time? We've obviously been missing out on some artistic talent : )

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 05:59 PM

Yes indeed, welcome Zebra. That's a lovely shot.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 06:42 PM

What a lovely lot of unusual animal pictures.
The flower pictures also are dear to my heart - I've been trying to grow peonies for years - all leaf, but never a flower. cry And how glorious to see phlox growing wild by the roadside!

" 'Tis the last rose of Summer"
Julia's Rose, waterlogged and windblown, clings on tenaciously. Pruning season's just around the corner, so the whole cycle starts over.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 07:31 PM

Bailey had an itchy ear.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 08:06 PM

Love the sloths, PDAZ.

Perfect for the summer.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 09:16 PM

What is that fruit, Sharon?

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 09:47 PM

They are coconuts, Dawn. Coconut water is very popular in the summer.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 09:54 PM

What is that fruit, Sharon?

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 24 2011 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
PDAZ: They're so small!! Very cute. I thought sloths only had one baby at a time... are they really triplets or did several mothers give birth around the same day?

Actually, the Sloth Sanctuary only takes in orphaned or injured sloths -- they don't breed them -- so the babies aren't related. However, the guide did tell us that an adult sloth they had taken in gave birth to twins in January, so it can happen.

Here's an adult two-toed sloth. I didn't know this, but both types of sloths have three-toes on their "feet".

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 25 2011 04:15 AM

This is our village Flame of the Forest tree in its full glory at this time of year.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 25 2011 06:00 AM

PDAZ - The bats and the Sloths are just wonderful and so cute.
Zebra - love your pensive cat.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 25 2011 09:47 PM

I was browsing in a recycling yard recently when I spotted a Furphy Tank, as used to transport water to our troops in World War One. An iconic piece of Australiana!
The soldiers would share information with the water cart driver as he drove his horse from one battlefield to another. So the word "Furphy" came into the Australian vocabulary to mean unsubstantiated rumour, just as "Scuttlebutt" is used in America.

The Furphy family embossed mottoes into their tank ends, often extolling the virtues of water over other beverages. Their best known appears on this tank:
"Good, better, best
Never let it rest
Till your good is better
And your better, best."

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed May 25 2011 10:48 PM

Fascinating piece of history, Auntie!

Another photo from Costa Rica -- this was my very first basilisk sighting! And such a beauty laugh

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 26 2011 05:53 PM

Thank you, everyone! smile

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 26 2011 06:21 PM

What a beauty! smile

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu May 26 2011 11:10 PM

Stunning kitty pic!

Here's a Mexican navy ship sailing near Gamboa in the Panama Canal

Posted by: ertrum

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 27 2011 10:27 AM

Pretty ship, that.
According to a quick googling, the Cuauhtémoc (named for an Aztec emperor) was built in Spain in 1982, and serves in the Mexican Navy as a training ship.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 27 2011 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: ertrum
Pretty ship, that.
According to a quick googling, the Cuauhtémoc (named for an Aztec emperor) was built in Spain in 1982, and serves in the Mexican Navy as a training ship.

Oddly enough, I saw the ship a few years ago in Monterey Bay, California. I was sitting in a park near Fisherman's Wharf when the ship arrived in Monterey for a ceremony. The sailors were standing on the masts, singing in Spanish as the ship approached the harbor, and then they fired a few shots from their cannons. The cannon at the Presidio of Monterey fired back in response -- pretty wild (scared the heck out of all the seals and sea lions in the harbor!)

I know I took pictures -- I'll have to look for them.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 27 2011 08:54 PM

An old, still functional bridge in Mangalore

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 27 2011 10:16 PM

I took this photo with a certain "Observer of Interesting Information" in mind, so I hope he's still visiting this forum smile

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 27 2011 10:35 PM

Aw he will love it Liz! Can't we get him one for Christmas?

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri May 27 2011 10:45 PM

Now, that is a possibility smile

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 28 2011 06:24 AM

Parrots at the Roatan Butterfly Garden in Honduras

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 28 2011 09:45 AM

Posted by: AlexxSchneider

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 28 2011 01:18 PM

That's lovely, Zebra!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 28 2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: AlexxSchneider
That's lovely, Zebra!

Thank you! smilee

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 28 2011 05:49 PM

First rose in the garden this year

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 28 2011 06:59 PM

I spotted this little family out for a swim as I walked across the footbridge today.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat May 28 2011 07:12 PM

Early morning at the horse farm.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 29 2011 04:14 AM

My daughter with the help(?) of my grandson, made this cake for me. The markings of the cat aren't familiar, but the surly expression is definitely Bijou!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 29 2011 09:22 AM

Happy Birthday Auntie smilee Hope you enjoy the cake.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 29 2011 11:12 AM

That cat certainly looks annoyed at the thought of being eaten! Happy Birthday!

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 29 2011 02:10 PM

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 29 2011 07:28 PM

Happy birthday Auntie!

The countryside in Missouri looks exactly the same as southern England, but that straight road would never be seen here running through it!

A steam locomotive at Alresford station at the end of the Mid Hants steam railway

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sun May 29 2011 08:02 PM

Oh yes, that's the Watercress Line, David. I must look out my photos of Thomas Tank who actually lives there.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 30 2011 08:36 AM

A toucan at the Roatan Butterfly Garden in Honduras

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 30 2011 11:27 AM

I've got loads of photos of the actual running days on the Watercress Line from the last time I actually used it rather than visited, I'll put one in tomorrow. Meanwhile this is the village at the top of the road where the station is. The community hall has a tea room run by Christian evangelists, and little booklets on the tables to spread the word. Once you've looked at them someone comes over to ask you what you thought of them. Hampshire and Sussex seem to have many similar places and they are all very friendly and have good and reasonably priced food as well. The best was Noah's Ark along the same road in Winchester where we had lunch if we got there in time till they closed down. They had a little prayer box at the counter where you wrote a request and put it in there and a religious bookshop in the next room.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 30 2011 11:56 AM

Re: May Photo-a-day - Mon May 30 2011 05:57 PM

Great pictures Zebra

The picturesquely named Scaffold Hill Farm the farm house is not now lived in. It is now part of the stables

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 31 2011 03:22 PM

Alresford station in 1998 where I took the train and took photos between stops.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Tue May 31 2011 03:44 PM

Stained glass in the door of Scaffold Hill Farm

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed Jun 01 2011 09:43 AM

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed Jun 01 2011 08:01 PM

In nostalgic mood, I went for a solitary walk in the Williamstown Botanic Gardens, established in the developing colony of Melbourne in 1860, as "a place for reliving the gentle English landscape, a place for social outings and to promenade".

When my brothers and I used to be taken for outings to Williamstown Beach, The Gardens were where we ate our picnic lunch and waited the obligatory hour before trudging back for more swimming and sunburn.

The shrubberies where we played hide and seek have shrunk to give way to more open lawn vistas. The brass cannons we clambered on have gone. The gloriously large fishpond has been emptied, and the spacious aviary, once full of budgerigars, has been demolished.
Furthermore, time, impudent colonial possums and prolonged drought have not been kind to the noble trees of this "gentle English landscape".

My spirits were restored when I saw a family with three little children in fairy costume, having a birthday picnic for the 2-year-old.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Wed Jun 01 2011 08:59 PM

A typical view of the older areas of London near me, this is Stonebridge just coming up to the North Circular Road with the new Wembley Stadium beyond. It's half way between Harlesden and Wembley should anyone be more familiar with the area.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu Jun 02 2011 03:23 PM

Re: May Photo-a-day - Thu Jun 02 2011 03:33 PM

Buses waiting at the lights by Golders Green station

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri Jun 03 2011 04:52 PM

Where is everybody? Another straight road, the A31 in Ropley, Hampshire.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Fri Jun 03 2011 07:20 PM

Dejeuner sur l'herbe.

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat Jun 04 2011 05:31 AM

Lets see what is happening in the outside world today...

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat Jun 04 2011 07:28 AM

That basset hound is looking for June! wink

Re: May Photo-a-day - Sat Jun 04 2011 02:29 PM

ooops! Thanks.
This thread is now close Thanks all for the great pics for May.