August is here!

Posted by: ren33

August is here! - Sun Jul 31 2011 04:28 PM

For me the long hot humid Summer is at its height. Welcome to August.!
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: August is here! - Sun Jul 31 2011 04:55 PM

It's still July here for several hours. Could you re-open July so I don't get ahead of myself? Pretty please?
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: August is here! - Sun Jul 31 2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: ren33
For me the long hot humid Summer is at its height. Welcome to August.!

It's been hot and somewhat humid for me...30 days in a row over 100įF is enough and now they are saying we may threaten the highest ever recorded temperature here in Dallas...which was 113įF in late June 1980.

Originally Posted By: spanishliz
It's still July here for several hours.

Same here, but after this July, I'll be glad for it to be over!

Re: August is here! - Sun Jul 31 2011 06:58 PM

Sorry all, July re-opened.(I work all day and usually open the new one in the early morning so I am not late )

Re: August is here! - Sun Jul 31 2011 07:20 PM

Thank you smile I get confused otherwise.
Posted by: satguru

Re: August is here! - Sun Jul 31 2011 07:44 PM

This is the start of the M40 extension than now links with the M5 in Birmingham just east of Oxford

Posted by: Gees63

Re: August is here! - Sun Jul 31 2011 09:26 PM

Since Lady is confined to house and garden for at least a week until kennel cough has gone(fingers crossed) I am missing 3 walks a day(much needed exercise). Part of this has been replaced by extra cycling plus

borrowing Mollie to walk
Posted by: Christinap

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 07:57 AM

Star, my 5yr old GSD.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 08:18 AM

Lovely! Star looks so intelligent!
Posted by: Tizzabelle

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 09:27 AM

My heart just melted... German Shepherds are my favourite dog! smile I can't have a dog at present and probably not for a few years but I'd love a shepherd.. woe..

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 10:27 AM

We've always had Shepherds, Star is our fourth. She is the gentlest lady you could ever wish to meet, she loves everyone and her favourite position is on her back having tummy tickles.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 02:38 PM

When you collect grid squares on the map you end up with lots of these roundabouts

this is a couple of miles before Oxford
Posted by: Vanya98

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 03:20 PM

You guys drive on the wrong side of the road.
Posted by: Chavs

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 03:35 PM

Summer rain.

Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Vanya98
You guys drive on the wrong side of the road.

Only if you guys are coming the other way. wink

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 09:38 PM

This was what it showed in Plano, TX, today while stopped at a red light. It's so hot the number's tripling!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 10:56 PM

After those wonderful dog pics, Precious thought it was time for a cute kitty photo.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 01 2011 11:54 PM

Aw! Precious is very cute too.
Ok then, here is Gnawra, thick as a plank but very loyal. Found in the village rubbish bin aged about 8 days. Now runs the place.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 02 2011 09:33 AM

Oh, I get it. Dog Days of summer. Heh.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 02 2011 09:48 AM

How old is Gnawra now?

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 02 2011 03:27 PM

Something tranquil on a hot day

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 03 2011 08:01 AM

One of the fountains nearby in Plano, TX. It shoots water up about 30 feet. This was taken near sunset.

Yes, the houses in this neighborhood are big (about 4000 square feet).

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 03 2011 11:58 AM

The Response 1914 by William Goscombe John

A large and striking memorial consisting of a rusticated granite screen on which is mounted a high relief depiction of soldiers responding to the call-up for the First World War, modelled virtually in the round from black bronze.

Further information can be got from the following site

http://pmsa.cch.kcl.ac.uk/NE/TWNE03.htm

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 03 2011 09:04 PM

On the road again, heading north, this is the roundabout under the A1M in Stevenage.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 03 2011 09:17 PM

One is supposed to press the button to get the "Walk" sign to light up, but the casing is gone/rusted and there's just a hole where the button should be! The light does eventually change, though, even without a button to press smile

Posted by: zebra101

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 04 2011 02:41 PM

A beautiful sunset. smile

Posted by: auntie1

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 04 2011 03:38 PM

Whether you call it a boab, a baobab, or a bottle tree, this one is growing as a specimen in Williamstown Botanical Gardens.

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 04 2011 03:48 PM

That sunset photo is magic!
Posted by: martin_cube

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 04 2011 05:51 PM

Liz. Does the one on the other side of the street work? You could always cross over & use that one.

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 04 2011 06:10 PM

Then I'd have to cross three times to get to where I want to go, though smile (The other side of the street also has a steep curb, stepping down from which I've turned my ankle more than once, so I try to avoid it.)

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 04 2011 08:39 PM

Martin, that is the sort of logic that made Britain great wink

One reason I don't usually go to Stevenage or many similar places is however many pictures I take they all look something like this:

I must have taken 30 pictures there yesterday and over half looked exactly like this. It is a new town from the 60s and is just a maze of roundabouts and office blocks along the roads. It looks identical from one end to the other, and I can now prove it if anyone looks on my album sites.

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 04 2011 09:06 PM

A nice winter shot of Newcastle Civic Centre

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 04 2011 09:58 PM

This bird is named Winston, and he lives at a local garden centre that my sister and I visited today. He's very friendly, and poses when he sees a camera.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 05 2011 08:05 AM

Talking of animals who pose, here is a cat who lives in the village of Lacock , where a lot of tourists go, as it is the site used for filming many of the wonderful BBC Drama series, such as Cranford,
He saw me approach (assuming he is male of course!) and immediately jumped up on a wall and did just that. I could almost hear "Is this my best side?" Unbelievable, and a beautiful cat (as he well knew)

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 05 2011 12:25 PM

Columbia River, Vancouver, WA

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 05 2011 12:45 PM

A replica of The Wright Flier in the Air & Space museum, Washington DC.

Sorry I haven't posted much recently but I got struck down by the dreaded lurgy, resulting
in a week-long spell in hospital. They're still going through my blood samples with a battery
of tests in an effort to find out what it was. I'm hoping I didn't contract it during the recent
trip to the USA. I don't want to have doubts about going back should the chance ever arise.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 05 2011 05:23 PM

Oh Martin, that's terrible (your illness, not the photo) I hope all goes well and it was nothing dire.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 05 2011 07:50 PM

I'd never want to live in a block like this but always like photos of them. This is as you arrive in Stevenage

Posted by: szabs

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 06 2011 10:05 AM

Martin hope you are on the mend.

August means fields and fields of endless sunflowers

Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 06 2011 10:44 AM

Wish you a speedy recovery, Martin.

The field of sunflowers is gorgeous, Andrea.

Near the harbour at Hoonah, Alaska

Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 06 2011 11:49 AM

Came across this little fellow basking in the sun today. How relaxed can you get?

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 06 2011 02:05 PM

Thanks for your good wishes. I think it's pretty much out of my system now though it's left me
feeling like the bunny that didn't get the Duracell battery. smile

This is one of the scenarios at the Babbacombe model village. I instantly thought of the FarmVille
game on FaceBook for some reason.

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 06 2011 04:13 PM

One of the lesser known Baker Streets, in Weybridge.

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 06 2011 08:09 PM

Love that photo MotherGoose!

Here's Precious relaxing, and enjoying being called "Good Girl!" after having made me a present of the mouse she caught, after about a day's stalking.

Posted by: SOTHC

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 07 2011 01:01 AM

Some hungry otters at the New Forest Wildlife Centre who could hear the man with the bucket of fish coming.

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 07 2011 02:17 AM

Love those otters! Great pic.

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 07 2011 11:10 AM

Thanks Shannon
Mothergoose - I am sure he is waiting to have his tummy scratched!
SOTH - your otters are adorable and what a great picture of them.

A bit of an air show with the colours of the Spanish flag
Posted by: SOTHC

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 07 2011 01:46 PM

They were quite upset when he walked passed and ignored them until they realised it was the wrong man and the wrong bucket

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 07 2011 04:16 PM

I love otters! Completely mad things that love having fun and splashing around with no objective. Awww. smile

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 07 2011 07:16 PM

A typical English town centre, Petersfield in Hampshire

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 07 2011 08:08 PM

I just love those otters! I hope they got their fish eventually.

Szabs, great photo of the patriotic aircraft. Love the sunflowers, too and Ren's posing kitty.

Here's my little wildcat today, after looking so serene in yesterday's photo.

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 07 2011 10:12 PM

Yes, Liz! She does not look quite so precious in that one!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 08 2011 05:06 AM

These are Spectacled Flying Foxes, or Spectacled Fruit Bats. I know not everyone likes bats but I find them fascinating.

(We currently have a Japanese student staying with us and we took her to a wildlife park on the weekend, so you'll be seeing some of the photos I took at the park for a little while).
Posted by: sue943

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 08 2011 06:08 AM

I was in a carpark this morning and there was a cycle attached to some railings where it ought not to have been, it was in a disable parking bay but there is no cycle parking area in that carpark, motorcycles yes but that has a notice saying no cycles permitted.

Attached to the saddle of the cycle was a parking ticket. Now cycles are not registered here, they are untraceable, so how the heck to they seriously expect this 'criminal' to be traced if he just ignores the fine?

I have just emailed the photo to our local newspaper, I am sure they will take the matter further. What a waste of a plastic bag and a parking ticket!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 08 2011 10:12 AM

Typical 'Jobsworth'! Give some people a uniform & suddenly they want to rule the world. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Hope your newspaper gives it the coverage it deserves!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 08 2011 12:48 PM

"Now cycles are not registered here, they are untraceable, so how the heck to they seriously expect this 'criminal' to be traced if he just ignores the fine?"

If I were the owner of the bicycle, I'd want to frame the ticket and hang it on my wall for a laugh!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 08 2011 01:16 PM

I bet it will be. smile

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 08 2011 02:15 PM

Well maybe the bike rider will take the hint and not park there anymore (can you tell I'm not a fan of bike riders?).

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 08 2011 03:03 PM

As the cycles ignore red lights and one way streets and cycle on pavements here and could get caught but rarely do it's a bit of a waste of time trying something that's guaranteed not to work. They could have taken it and waited for the owner to report it stolen though, that may have done the job.

A typical Victorian station building in Haslemere. These are gradually being demolished around London to leave empty platforms as staff are taken off many routes.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 08 2011 04:10 PM

Despite this sign, I proceeded on and was glad I did so. More of that later.....

Re MotherGoose and the flying foxes; The grey-headed flying fox is causing great concern among horse owners in our eastern ststes.
http://access.health.qld.gov.au/hid/Infe...nfection_fs.asp

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 08:09 AM

The E Type Jaguar is 50 years old this year.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 10:53 AM

My ex had one of those before I met him, a silver convertable.
Posted by: goofyfoot009

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 11:17 AM

Toketee Falls, east of Roseburg, Oregon

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 12:22 PM

Welcome goofyfoot, I see some professional equipment used there! I still use my old film camera for anything complicated as I've had the equipment a long time so always there when I need it.

This is a typical wooded Surrey road actually in Sussex just before Haslemere but near the border.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 01:13 PM

If you consider a now obsolete XTi, a 55-250mm lens and a tripod as professional equipment, so be it....... laugh

It is more a product of photomatix and photoshop......the effort of hiking in darn near finished me off!

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 06:46 PM

Well it is gorgeous whatever you used!
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 08:32 PM

Goofyfoot: Welcome! I noticed you posted to nearly every thread here today and they were ALL fabulous pictures! (Granted, you live in one of the most beautiful states I've ever visited, but even so, lovely "eye"/technique)

Satguru: I'm still waiting for a picture with more than 2 persons in it. I remain convinced that an invasion of the body-snatchers has taken place in your adjoining neighbourhoods LOL (nice photos though!).

SpanishLiz: I thought Precious looked pretty smug in both : )

SOTHC: Love the otters. And so VERY nice to see you posting here again! Have missed your sense of humour

Martin: Did you also visit the Smithsonian? (or did you "do" that on your last trip abroad?) It's one of my dream destinations. I got sort of close once but only made it as far as Baltimore and then on to Richmond.

Szabs: Wonderful sunflowers!

Love the bats too, eagerly anticipating Auntie's possible snake encounter : )

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 08:37 PM

Glad you enjoy my sadly inadequate efforts..........I'm an HDR adherent, so there is quite a little post-processing involved.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 08:50 PM

Ah, when I said professional equipment I could see some effects would be impossible with a compact, but the depth and colour had also been enhanced which needs quite pricy software as well. But it's about the end result, and if I could brighten, focus and even out mine better they'd bring a lot more from average to reasonable. With the compact if the light isn't just right they look too dark, whether it is or even when it's bright and coming from the wrong direction. My solution is just to take many more and reject the dark ones, which is the one benefit of not wasting film on such attempts.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 09 2011 08:54 PM

re: expensive software.........my daughter attends San Francisco's Academy of Art University, so she (and I)get student pricing on software.

Depth and color enhancement is the result of HDR, 5 separate exposures were combined to create the final result.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 10 2011 07:04 AM

Sorry to disappoint you Jakeroo, but it's winter and there were no snakes in evidence.
Here's what I saw;

I felt I was walking down a bush road with wattles in bloom and the smell of eucalyptus in the air. In reality it's 300 hectares surrounded by dense suburbia.
The land was used for quarrying basalt from the late 19th century until the 1980's, and later as a municipal tip (rubbish dump).
Finally it was decided to fill the deep quarry holes to form shallow ornamental lakes and to landscape and plant the area as an urban park to be known as "Newport Lakes".
I was last there a few years ago when it was still rough and weedy with young trees struggling through drought. I am so impressed with the way it looks now, I think I'll be taking frequent short bushwalks.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 10 2011 11:17 AM

Jake. Due to the limited amount of time I had available to me in Washington DC that day,
it was quite literally a flying visit to the Air & Space museum and here was no opportunity
to visit any of the other museums unfortunately. It was a dream of mine to see the A&S one
though so I'm glad we were able to go there.

This is the Capital building in DC..

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 10 2011 02:02 PM

A splash of blue......

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 10 2011 02:52 PM

and some purple

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 10 2011 04:45 PM

This is a pair of Gang-gang cockatoos. The name is derived from an Aboriginal language. The female is all grey and the male has a red head. Unfortunately they are on the endangered list because of loss of habitat.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 10 2011 07:21 PM

Waltham Abbey church in Essex

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 11 2011 02:08 AM

Still at Newport Lakes;

This is a view across the South Lake.

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 11 2011 11:34 AM

Here, chicky, here chicky...

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 11 2011 11:51 AM

Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 11 2011 01:26 PM

That is just stunning

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 11 2011 04:05 PM

Welcome to Epping Forest

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 11 2011 04:57 PM

Popular children's song in Australia:

PLEASE DONíT CALL ME A KOALA BEAR

by Don Spencer/Allan Caswell

Iím a koala, not a bear, and I donít think itís fair,
The way that people always add a word that isnít there.
Iím a marsupial (and proud of it),
And there can be no doubt of it,
Iím closer to a kangaroo
Than I am to a bear.

CHORUS:

So please donít call me a koala bear,
Iím not a bear at all.
Please donít call me a koala bear,
Itís driving me up the wall!
If your name was Tom and everyone called you Dick,
Perhaps youíd understand why Iím sick, sick, sick -
Iím simply a koala and I want the name to stick,
Please donít call me a koala bear!

I live here in Australia, in a eucalyptus tree.
Iím as cuddly, cute and charming as an animal can be.
I donít understand, fair dinkum,
How anyone could think them Grizzly bears and Polar bears
Are anything like me.
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 11 2011 05:28 PM

I mean, how much can a koala bear?!

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 11 2011 08:46 PM

Goofyfoot, your photos are beautiful. I can't decide if I'm looking at a painting or a photo. smile

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 11 2011 08:47 PM

MG: awwwwwwwww on the koala. Thanks for the "tune" as well : )

GoofyFoot: (can we call you something for "short"? GF? Your real name?) Your userid doesn't seem to "fit" your photography skills - that last one is every bit as breathtaking as the previous one of waterfalls : )

Flopsy: that's one purdy-birdy (nice shot - sunlight was perfect to accentuate the iridescent tail feathers!).

Ozzz: Whatever the weight of their baby is, I suspect, but lol! Reminds me of how much wood could a woodchuck chuck ~

Speaking of "babies", here's a pregnant mamma doe resting in the shade beside a golf course bunker (apparently she had no idea how badly I golf LOL)

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 12 2011 06:30 AM

I don't know if it's just me but above the deer it looks as though there's a giant ant ready to pounce so the quality of your golf may not be her main concern!

This rather less than scenic image made me laugh. Behind the dead caravan, the wasted windmill, and the reclining flagpole, someone had painted the hut!

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 12 2011 08:12 AM

Snapped on a buddleia in my garden this morning

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 12 2011 08:13 AM

GF, that Japanese garden is just beautiful.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 12 2011 09:22 AM

Auntie - Beautiful reflection on the lake
GF - Breathaking photo
Flopsy - Don't know if I would like to be the chicky around that gorgeous rooster.
MotherG - Little koala looks so cuddly and loved the tune provided.
Jake - Doesn't matter how good or bad YOUR golf is, I really don't think that is a good resting place for a pregnant mama, somebody is bound to hit her sooner or later!
Christina - Gorgeous shot

Ripe grapes on the vine ready for picking.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 12 2011 10:21 AM

Although the appellation, "goofyfoot" refers to a snowboarding stance, and not how badly I dance, for ease of reference pehaps simply Larry would suffice.

I am fortunate enough to have a pond on my property, providing source material for much of my photography.

Here is an example: A dragonfly from last fall.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 12 2011 02:01 PM

I saw this saddle in the National Museum of the Native Americans in New York. I was
fascinated in the way it was constructed.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 12 2011 04:15 PM

Wow.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 12 2011 05:28 PM

The common by Epping forest

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 13 2011 01:59 AM

Plenty of basalt rocks remain on the old quarry site that is now Newport Lakes.
Here's a good use for them.

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 13 2011 08:17 AM

A few fireworks to start off the Malaga fair.

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 13 2011 09:15 AM

A return to the Japanese Garden.........

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 13 2011 09:33 AM

Szabs: I'm very jealous of that fireworks pic. My attempts almost always look like graphic art on drugs lol!

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 13 2011 03:33 PM

We have our annual Balloon festival this weekend here in Bristol and there was a
mass lift-off this evening in spite of quite low cloud cover. This photo gives a
good indication of just how many balloons got airbourne in a short space of time.

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 13 2011 05:47 PM

The bridge carrying the M25 motorway over the road in Waltham Abbey

Posted by: CmdrK

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 13 2011 06:39 PM

I found this while walking the grounds at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 13 2011 06:56 PM

I went to Minnesota for a week and took a ton of pictures! Here's one of some ore docks and a ship on Lake Superior. smile

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 14 2011 05:20 AM

One of the pleasures in my winter garden is the sweet perfume of daphne. This is one of the white forms.

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 14 2011 06:03 AM

Just a rose

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 14 2011 06:35 AM

My Red Hot Poker plant was looking very sad until recently but has
suddenly sprung into life over the last couple of weeks, much to
the delight of the bees, a couple of which can be seen at work on
this bloom.

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 14 2011 07:41 AM

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 14 2011 10:34 AM

Some cute little mushrooms. smile

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 14 2011 07:50 PM

Driving through Epping Forest

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 14 2011 07:53 PM

They just moved in one day and have been here ever since

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 14 2011 10:35 PM

Oh, what a lovely family of Teddies! I love them smile

We are asked to remove our outdoor footwear when we arrive for Pilates classes. Guess what season it is!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 12:03 AM

Jasmine flowers - plucked, tied and ready for sale

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 05:26 AM

Sharon, what a painstaking job to present Jasmine flowers for sale in that way!
For what purpose would they be used?

Just another camellia picture, but with a cooking tip;
Brush camellia leaves with 2 coats of melted chocolate.
When set, carefully peel off the camellia leaf. Result - chocolate leaves, great for decorating a fancy cake or dessert.
Be patient; there will be breakages!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 06:36 AM

I think they are used for adorning the hair at dances etc
I know my sister in law used to wear them for that. They also made covers for a chignon or bun Am I right Sharon?

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 07:01 AM

Sara's right, Dawn. They're a good source of livelihood in South India. The price is determined on a daily basis based on the demand and supply situation and is usually higher during the wedding season. The thread for tying them is made fresh everyday from the stem of the banana plant. I learned to tie them during one of my vacations.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 07:50 AM

Can you imagine how gorgeous that smells all tied up in your hair?

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 09:42 AM

This is a still from some videos I shot yesterday while the Red Arrows were doing a display for
the Bristol Balloon festival. I get a really good view from outside my house, some 3 or 4 miles
away from the event.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 10:16 AM

Jake - Thanks for the firework compliments, I find it very hard to get a good shot as well, this was taken from a friends apartment on the 15th floor overlooking the bay, and I put the camera on a tripod with the highest resolution possbile. I must have taken about 40 or 50 shots out of which only two or three are any good.

Here is a horse all decorated up for the fair.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 11:53 AM

Zebra, every time I look at the photo of the lights at night I'm reminded of Van Gogh's "Starry Night" smile
Martin, I'm so jealous of the air show being near you and seeing the Red Arrows. I find formation flying fascinating. I wouldn't like to be up in one of the planes but watching it would be amazing. smile

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 01:26 PM

Tizzabelle. If it's not breaking any of the rules of this forum, the videos I took of the Red Arrows are on my Photobucket account. Here's a link to the page:

http://s143.photobucket.com/albums/r159/martin_cube/Balloon%20festival%202011/Red%20Arrows%202011/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

If it's not allowed, then someone let me know & I'll delete this post. smile

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 04:33 PM

Go for it Martin. I dont know any rules about that!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 04:35 PM

The last time I saw the Red Arrows this was as close as I could get without climbing into the cockpit. wink

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 15 2011 06:30 PM

Wow, Martin, you got some good video shots, look at those guys go! grin

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 16 2011 07:32 AM

Glad you liked my videos. (One day I work out how to post a clickable link!)

That's a great shot Flopsy. I can almost hear the roar of the engines!

At the risk of turning August into Aviation month, here's another photo I took at the Air &
Space museum in DC. A more ominous aircraft this time, the infamous V1 'Doodlebug'.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 16 2011 10:19 PM

Are we hinting for an 'Aviation' fortnightly theme? Very feasible from the look of it.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 17 2011 12:57 AM

One of the residents of Newport Lakes - a Eurasian Coot, I think.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 17 2011 03:24 AM

Are we hinting for an 'Aviation' fortnightly theme? Very feasible from the look of it.

I wasn't hinting, it never really occured to me to tell the truth. Not a bad idea though...

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 17 2011 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: auntie1

One of the residents of Newport Lakes - a Eurasian Coot, I think.

That's definitely a coot. I love them - they're such feisty little birds.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 17 2011 03:15 PM

Split Rock Lighthouse in Minnesota. smile

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 17 2011 03:59 PM

Scotney Castle, Kent

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 17 2011 04:03 PM

Now that's a great photo, Christinap. I like that a lot.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 17 2011 05:25 PM

Thank you. It's such a gorgeous place it's almost impossible to take a bad photo of it.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 17 2011 05:49 PM

Pearsony Falls, East of Prospect, Oregon

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 17 2011 07:20 PM

A field of maize in Clophill, Bedfordshire

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 18 2011 08:57 AM

Another over-sized cuddly toy I saw in New York, presumably a wabbit?
I have no idea what it was there for. Being NY, I guess the answer is 'because'. smile

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 18 2011 10:36 AM

Wabbits shouldn't be abandoned on the street! shocked

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 18 2011 02:31 PM

Just think how big the child who dropped it must have been! shocked

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 18 2011 05:41 PM

More British countryside near the last one in Silsoe

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 18 2011 07:14 PM

My son-in-law has had to go into hospital so I was walking his dog Sol tonight

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 19 2011 09:03 AM

An advert for Tio Pepe sherry

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 19 2011 01:36 PM

Toad Lily.......

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 19 2011 03:52 PM

That is absolutely stunning.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 19 2011 04:18 PM

Just a tub of flowers in the garden

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 19 2011 05:29 PM

The view from next to Luton airport

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 20 2011 11:30 AM

One of the Red Arrows crashed today at an air display in Bournemouth.

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 20 2011 01:00 PM

I was just reading about that Sue. Very sad frown

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 20 2011 01:27 PM

That's very sad. frown

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 20 2011 05:47 PM

It is very sad news. The pilot didn't survive the crash. Nobody else was hurt though which is some comfort I suppose. frown

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 20 2011 07:28 PM

What is very sad is that his wife was there watching the display.

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 21 2011 03:31 AM

"A-tisket a-tasket
My little wicker basket",
loaded up for my first-ever visit to a local vegie swap. I took jams, herbs and half-a-dozen fresh eggs - being winter, I had no vegies as such.
I came home with a cardamom plant, several clean jam jars, a handful of salad greens, some seed potatoes, and having enjoyed a cupcake, still warm. Not to forget the bag of dog fur clippings, a great addition to the compost bin!
This is a monthly event, and I'm going to enjoy it, I think.

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 21 2011 09:31 AM

I spent the weekend in Hyderabad, so here's a pic of the Char Minar (Four Minarets), a famous monument that was once located in the centre of the city.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 22 2011 03:53 AM

Nothing announces the impending arrival of Spring like the
intense fragrance of brown boronia. It's native to MotherGoose's area of Western Australia, but some of us on the east coast persist in trying to grow it just for that magic perfume.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 22 2011 04:17 AM

Auntie, I remember my mother bringing home bunches of boronia when it was "in season" and the boronia sellers were selling it on the city streets. I wonder if they still do that?

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 22 2011 12:03 PM

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 22 2011 06:10 PM

As we seem to be on a flowery theme, here's a many-flowered orchid. Just don't ask me what sort!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 22 2011 06:42 PM

It's a cymbidium orchid flopsymopsy, and a very pretty one.
I had hoped for a good display from mine this year - until I caught one of my chooks who had flown onto the plant stand and was lunching on the choicest buds!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 22 2011 09:11 PM

I've been using the long days to get as far as possible before it gets dark, this is a typical thatched cottage near Selsey on the south coast.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 23 2011 07:56 AM

A building with decorated balconies just for the fair

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 23 2011 12:33 PM

Sheep in a field in Sussex

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 23 2011 07:22 PM

Precious doesn't look very comfy here, but this is one of her favourite places to sleep.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 23 2011 11:39 PM

Male swan harvesting water weed and placing it in a pile.
Female swan preening and pretending not to notice.
I realised I might be interrupting a courtship ritual, so I tiptoed discreetly away.
I'll post photos of any cygnets that might ensue.......

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 24 2011 10:38 AM

Taken during an early morning flight from Mumbai to Chennai yesterday morning.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 24 2011 03:27 PM

My tree was looking was sad in July but it's coming back to life now. Here's a pic taken in the morning fog smile

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 24 2011 03:57 PM

Taken at a local widlife park

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 25 2011 08:42 PM

Re: August is here! - Thu Aug 25 2011 09:05 PM

An interesting church in Midhurst

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 26 2011 07:53 AM

We were treated to a nice sunset a couple of days ago.

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 26 2011 04:07 PM

This caught my eye the other day

Re: August is here! - Fri Aug 26 2011 05:21 PM

A typical country pub including its location on the wall.

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 27 2011 05:35 AM

I've been busy! I delved into the depths of my freezer and cooked up most of the fruits that were surplus last summer.
Posted by: Mugaboo

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 27 2011 09:26 AM

A farm outbuilding, that I pass when I take the back road into town.

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 27 2011 07:10 PM

The shops in Midhurst

Re: August is here! - Sat Aug 27 2011 08:41 PM

Kamloops, British Columbia

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 28 2011 01:59 PM

I went to look at some birds today and this one looked right back!

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 28 2011 03:30 PM

Wow. he did ,didn't he!
Here's yesterday's BBQ table

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 28 2011 05:04 PM

Another bird (kookaburra) who is interested in photographers.

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 28 2011 05:57 PM

What a mouth-watering spread, Ren!
Fur and feathers, architecture, horticulture, climatic features; this thread just keeps getting better.

This bird was less interested in me as a photographer than in the possibility I might have a pocketful of stale bread. (I didn't).

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 28 2011 07:33 PM

A church in Rickmansworth, northwest of London

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 28 2011 09:45 PM

Here's some of my birthday cake for everyone smile

Re: August is here! - Sun Aug 28 2011 10:18 PM

oh yum!!!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 29 2011 02:53 AM

I told this one that Ren called the female falcon "he" and it gave me a funny look. wink

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 29 2011 07:45 AM

Sunset last night

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 29 2011 07:46 AM

Flopsy that is fabulous, it looks so soft and fluffy - and then you look at the eyes

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 29 2011 09:47 AM

I know! I don't think it was very old but there was a chill wind yesterday, just before the heavens opened, so the birds were all fluffing their feathers a bit. But I looked at that cute, fluffy owl, and those eyes looked back, lol. I was glad I wasn't a mouse, that's for sure. grin

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 29 2011 03:18 PM

The Watts art Gallery in Compton, Surrey, given in trust to the people so free to enter.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 29 2011 04:22 PM

Hope you had a great birthday Liz!

A neighbour brought me fruit from the ornamental tree in her front garden. I had always thought it was a cumquat tree, but they proved to be small mandarins.
Oh well, out with the jam pan again!

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 29 2011 05:03 PM

This little fellow is a black breasted buzzard.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 29 2011 05:56 PM

I did have a great birthday. One of my treats was to see some wonderful WWII training aircraft, like this one. The weather was such that they weren't flying, but getting an up-close look was great.

Re: August is here! - Mon Aug 29 2011 06:34 PM

Wow that's great liz! Ane thanks for the cake!
BTW has anyone seen Quiz_Beagle ? I am missing her puppy pictures among many. If you are around QB please check in!

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 30 2011 04:58 AM

Cheers, Ren, have a beer!

And if anyone wonders about the labels, you should have seen the ones I cropped off! wink

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 30 2011 06:04 AM

Not sure I really want to try these!

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 30 2011 12:09 PM

Liz - Happy Belated Birthday smilee. Sorry I missed it, I am glad you had a wonderful day! August is just way too hectic around here with work and tons of house guests, I am counting the hours for September to roll in, and get back to normal.

Flopsy - Those birds are fantastic!! Is that your private collection of beers, Ive never have seen anything like it wink.

Seville Cathedral, one of the side entrances called Colon, in honour of Christopher Columbus.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 30 2011 12:14 PM

The other day some friends brought us a bottle of wine labelled "Menage a Trois." Srsly.

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 30 2011 02:37 PM

I don't drink beer, szabs, but those labels were tempting. Brewers with a sense of humour can't be all bad. smile

Re: August is here! - Tue Aug 30 2011 06:13 PM

It looks like they employed me to name the beer, but I didn't. Honestly!

The Hog's Back, part of the North Downs in Surrey

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 31 2011 05:53 AM

BTW has anyone seen Quiz_Beagle ? I am missing her puppy pictures among many. If you are around QB please check in!

QB is still around & playing quizzes. Maybe she's run out of puppies. Why not send her a note? Or a puppy. smile

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 31 2011 10:44 AM

Rocks left in situ at Newport Lakes have been decorated by an artist in conjunction with local school children.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 31 2011 12:13 PM

The last day of August and a bee harvests pollen from the last of the lavender.

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 31 2011 01:08 PM

We had a rather unusual luncheon companion on Sunday!

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 31 2011 02:46 PM

The edge of a farm behind the last view on the North Downs

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 31 2011 03:50 PM

Old Dodge flatbed at a pear-packing facility

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 31 2011 04:41 PM

Just letting the last August posters arrive and September thread will start.
Posted by: ertrum

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 31 2011 09:48 PM

That plane looks hungry, Liz. What did you feed it?

Re: August is here! - Wed Aug 31 2011 09:50 PM

Hot dogs! smile

Re: August is here! - Thu Sep 01 2011 04:32 AM

... and on that note we will close and go to September! Many thanks all for your wonderful contributions.