Posted by: Gees63

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 02 2011 08:52 PM

Frosty start to today(Friday) Frost on the rocks

Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: December photo a day - Sat Dec 03 2011 01:34 PM

Biscuit anyone? laugh
Posted by: ertrum

Re: December photo a day - Sun Dec 04 2011 02:16 PM

English speakers must have the hardest time with American biscuits... "Would you like a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit?"
Posted by: Copago

Re: December photo a day - Sun Dec 04 2011 10:24 PM

The puppy that knows she isn't allowed inside smile
Posted by: sue943

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 05 2011 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: ertrum
English speakers must have the hardest time with American biscuits... "Would you like a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit?"

From what I could see when I was in America was that yoru biscuits are in fact scones.
Posted by: ren33

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 05 2011 08:17 AM

Early tree
Posted by: ertrum

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 05 2011 10:34 AM

I think you're right. Do you have savory scones served as a (originally Southern, but getting more popular nationwide) breakfast item?
Posted by: Schoonie101

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 06 2011 12:57 AM

Sunset at Cotton's Point, San Clemente, CA.
Posted by: Christinap

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 06 2011 06:35 PM

Christmas lights on a local pub
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 06 2011 10:57 PM

(gasps) That's GORGEOUS, Schoonie!!!

re: biscuits (I mean biscuits in my country, not over the pond where biscuits are more like cookies or a dessert item). I suppose they're SORT of like scones because they're a baking soda/baking powder concoction. I'm Canadian (with English, Irish and Scottish ancestors) but despite that, over here we'd never call a soda biscuit a scone (which we see as more of a "sweet" thing, often with currents in them and definitely slathered in butter and preserves). The unsweetened things without fruit, we tend to call "English Muffins" (go figger lol). Soda biscuits on the other hand often have herbs in them and make good "sandwich" material for breakfast (esp with cheese) and go well with dinner too (particularly if gravy or soup is involved).

In any case, I'm quite happy to eat ALL the versions, no matter what they're called LOL

Copago: love the picture of the puppy "just over the threshold". Our setter was like that - wasn't allowed in the kitchen or livingroom, but always tested her boundaries by draping SOME part of her body over them lol. Pretty smart dog you have though (took 4 years before the Irish "grew up" - or pretended to anyway).
Posted by: satguru

Re: December photo a day - Wed Dec 07 2011 05:18 PM

Before about 1933 British road signs were not coordinated and often included local versions, and before the panels with the details of the hazard underneath became official most warning signs had nothing but a general red triangle and nothing more, although some specified a name like 'school' underneath. Till yesterday the only ones I'd seen were in Scotland, and then two in England turned up including this one just on the edge of London Heathrow airport. It's also got the Gilbert Scott pole, on many but not all nationally.

Re: December photo a day - Wed Dec 07 2011 06:07 PM

The statue of Queen Victoria in front of the Leases Wing of the Royal Victoria Infirmary Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: December photo a day - Thu Dec 08 2011 01:24 AM

Thanks, Jakeroo! It was a beautiful sunset to end an amazing day. Caught the green flash a moment later too. grin

Tapas from the other night. Lobster mac and cheese on the left, hibachi salmon (edit: Schoonie, you jackass, does that LOOK like shrimp [referring to pre-edit]?! sigh...) on the right. Not too shabby let me tell you. grin

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 09 2011 10:14 PM

A thatched cottage in Shenley

Re: December photo a day - Sat Dec 10 2011 07:26 PM

This is a couple of miles along the same road and past some houses.

Re: December photo a day - Sun Dec 11 2011 06:44 AM

Sooty, Sweep and Soo are at least 20 years old. They were made originally for my nieces, but going to be given to the two "Princes" for more puppet fun laugh

Re: December photo a day - Sun Dec 11 2011 08:11 AM

They will love them I am sure, Jane
Here is Rosie. I think it is her reaction to beig told there is no Santa.

Re: December photo a day - Sun Dec 11 2011 11:27 AM

There must be a Santa otherwise who the hell is it who visits the forums each year?

Re: December photo a day - Sun Dec 11 2011 03:29 PM

That's what I told her
Posted by: auntie1

Re: December photo a day - Sun Dec 11 2011 10:01 PM

When you let a four-year-old boy decorate a seven foot Christmas tree, you're likely to see a plethora of candy canes - but only up to half-way!

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 12 2011 02:37 AM

It must be that time of year again! Here's our artificial tree before it is dressed smile

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 12 2011 04:22 AM

Here is my little tree.

Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 12 2011 07:01 AM

A temple in Goa

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 12 2011 08:01 AM

My tree

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 12 2011 05:29 PM

A field in the middle of Surrey

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 13 2011 12:05 AM

Laguna Beach last evening before the storm came in this morning.

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 13 2011 06:22 AM

Beautiful.

This is part of my Christmas tree, the colourful cross-stitched decoration is from JaneMarple - thank you Jane,

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 13 2011 10:36 AM

Thanks Sue laugh

Our tree, now dressed!

Re: December photo a day - Wed Dec 14 2011 10:01 AM

Inside St. Francis Xavier Church in Old Goa

Re: December photo a day - Wed Dec 14 2011 01:34 PM

Since I've been going on about map squares, I came across this map today in the middle of nowhere (Arkley) (quite useful as a result) showing the map and each square on it is to be collected by travelling photographers. This was the last one I needed on it as besides a major road you can't stop on this is the only way to get to it on a long footpath from the local road to the south. If you click the photo to the original you can enlarge it and see exactly how I got there.

Re: December photo a day - Thu Dec 15 2011 12:09 PM

I think this is the mother and father, and the two children were in the opposite corner of the field looking over another fence.

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 16 2011 07:04 PM

Here is the new bridleway, I think it was made in 2006 and not sure what was there before, probably private land.

Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 16 2011 08:44 PM

Maynooth, coolcat90 and I have just returned from two weeks in the Malaysian state of Sabah (located on the island of Borneo). This is part of the resort we stayed at in Kota Kinabalu (specifically, it is the ocean-side bar). It was a little bit of paradise on earth.

Re: December photo a day - Sat Dec 17 2011 06:38 PM

More from my little walk during the week

Re: December photo a day - Sun Dec 18 2011 06:15 AM

My Christmas cards so far and it is only 18th December so I can be confident in saying that there will be more to come. To save you counting, there are 59 at the moment.

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 19 2011 10:59 AM

Another shot of the resort. This is the swimming pool in the foreground and the ocean in the background. No, they are not connected - it's just an illusion. I have another shot of people walking on the path behind the tree and it looks like they are walking on water (but I can't post it as they might be recognisable).

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 19 2011 03:00 PM

The M25 motorway in Leatherhead

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 19 2011 07:14 PM

Our Christmas tree

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 19 2011 08:59 PM

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 20 2011 11:28 AM

Trees in Scratchwood in Mill Hill

Posted by: szabs

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 20 2011 11:44 AM

It clearly is the end of the beach season. We have been very lucky with the weather so far, as during the day we can still be in short sleeves and enjoying a stroll on the beach. Only some very intrepid people are still swimming (maninly Scandinavians!)

Re: December photo a day - Wed Dec 21 2011 12:51 PM

Rosehips in the woods

Re: December photo a day - Wed Dec 21 2011 05:01 PM

We did a couple of tours with this company and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We did have a few anxious moments, however, concerning the brakes on the bus getting too hot as we were coming down the mountain roads, and using a rock for additional support (as shown in photo) didn't inspire confidence.

Re: December photo a day - Thu Dec 22 2011 01:20 PM

The same trees at the side

Re: December photo a day - Thu Dec 22 2011 04:44 PM

Street market in Kota Kinabalu. I would have loved to have bought one of these fellows but I didn't because I was pretty sure Australian Customs wouldn't let it into the country.

Re: December photo a day - Thu Dec 22 2011 05:17 PM

A confection known as White Christmas.
I think it's uniquely Australian, but I stand to be corrected.
Posted by: AlexxSchneider

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 23 2011 09:41 AM

What is in it, Auntie?

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 23 2011 04:40 PM

I found a recipe, Alexandra, White Christmas
Copha seems to be some sort of fat.

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 23 2011 05:22 PM

Chopped crystallised fruits and raisins, powdered milk, dessicated coconut,and rice bubbles (crispies). The whole lot bound together with melted Copha.
Copha is hydrogenated coconut oil with added soya lecithin. It comes in a solid white block, and I'm not sure if an equivalent product is available anywhere else in the world.

There are TWO Santa sacks for grandsons under Gran's tree this year. Last year there was only one.
Can't wait to see their little faces...only one sleep to go!

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 23 2011 07:30 PM

I photographed this flower in the resort garden at Kota Kinabalu. Does anyone know what it is? (I'm not very good with plants - sneezed my way through two semesters of botany and didn't learn much).

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 23 2011 08:44 PM

I've just been scanning more old photos, this was taken on my school trip to Stratford on Avon in 1969 when I was 9

Posted by: AlexxSchneider

Re: December photo a day - Sat Dec 24 2011 11:02 AM

Auntie and Ren, thank you smile
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: December photo a day - Sat Dec 24 2011 01:20 PM

I haven't been posting much, but I have been enjoying seeing everyone else's photos. Here's part of my own Christmas decoration at home.

Re: December photo a day - Sat Dec 24 2011 11:14 PM

Merry Christmas everyone

5.00am just out the oven
First visitors expected 9.00 am need sleep

Re: December photo a day - Sun Dec 25 2011 08:43 PM

My daughter received a new camera for Christmas and I have inherited her old one . Trying it out with a photo of the present my wife got from our grandpet Mollie

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 26 2011 10:50 AM

I've always liked these telegraph poles. They lined most roads in London in the 60s but went away very quickly and very hard to find now.

Re: December photo a day - Mon Dec 26 2011 09:26 PM

It has been mild over Christmas here this year. A reminder of what it was like at this time last year

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 27 2011 02:56 AM

Sunset over the South China Sea.

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 27 2011 01:16 PM

I've been scanning more old photos, this is slanted as was stuck in an album like that. The longhorn oxen on the Isle of Skye were very tame for some reason, I expect like the Dartmoor ponies people feed them so they wait around in the car park for offerings. This was taken in 1969.

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 27 2011 09:41 PM

This mug, bowl and plate from my grandsons is too special for every day use.

Re: December photo a day - Tue Dec 27 2011 10:22 PM

Great gift, auntie! Satguru, I love the oxen.

Now, you might have to look closely to see the grey squirrel to the right of the gate, but the black one shows up quite well. They had each taken a peanut from the feeder hanging in the middle of the gate (the thing that looks like a slinky), then moved to either side to sit like bookends eating their snacks. They did this more than once.

Re: December photo a day - Fri Dec 30 2011 11:24 AM

Thanks Liz, it was amazing when I was looking on Streetview to geotag the photos from Scotland to see many of the places after 40 years still looking almost exactly the same. Another holiday one, this was from the hovercraft window looking over the white cliffs of Dover in 1997. I took one closer but was covered in spray so here is the wider view.

Re: December photo a day - Sat Dec 31 2011 05:02 PM

Here's a nice snowy bush for the last day of the year!

Happy New Year!

Re: December photo a day - Sat Dec 31 2011 06:50 PM

Closing this one soon. Thanks for all your wonderful contributions last year. Thanks to Leo and Jill for your support and help. I said I'd be back after Christmas. Here I am. All good wishes for the New Year. Love Ren.