May is Here!

Posted by: ren33

May is Here! - Mon Apr 30 2012 05:16 PM

Welcome to the May thread. I loved all the variety that April brought. Thanks all.
Posted by: Copago

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 01 2012 04:04 AM

My son went screaming off on his ripstick, got to the back gate and flew out leaving poor Jinx behind. She sat there next to the ripstick til he came back. awwww.

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 01 2012 06:57 AM

Awww why do dog stories always make me cry. People stories rarely do.What a cutie!
Posted by: Christinap

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 01 2012 05:53 PM

Cherry blossom against a blue sky.
Posted by: satguru

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 01 2012 07:19 PM

A train going through the South Downs between Rowland's Castle and Petersfield

Posted by: Tori_2s

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 01 2012 08:15 PM

Jinx does look pitiful waiting for her boy to come back. smile

Our Cherry Blossoms are still about a month away. I'm waiting for the leaves to return to the trees.

Trillium are blossoming all over our woods. In some places as thick as blankets.

Posted by: sue943

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 02 2012 03:27 AM

Just a view through the coach window in Ireland, so many ruined castles all over the country, I loved them, my cousin wasn't so keen, she thought there were just too many, seen one, seen them all!

Most of my Irish photos have been point and shoot through the moving coach windows so really potluck.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 02 2012 06:31 AM

They all look so peaceful and still. Lovely.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 02 2012 09:24 PM

Beautiful Sue. I could look at castles all day - imagine how hard it would have been in those days to do something like that - and right next to water like that. Amazing.
I suppose at least they would have been able to save time by not having to do an environmental impact study ...

Here's an sign that won't mean much to many but it's an old beer brand .. I remember it as the one my Dad used to drink oh so many years ago.
Gave me memories seeing it hanging up on the fence around an outback pub. smile

Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 03 2012 12:03 AM

had to be careful I didn't get run over here! I loved the architecture in Santa Fe when I visited there a couple of years ago for a conference.

This is the Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi.

Posted by: Santana2002

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 03 2012 04:27 AM

That looks like Adare Castle, Sue! Very pretty!

Love the basilica, MM, and your beer sign, copago!

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 03 2012 04:36 AM

We certainly went to Adare, we had lunch there, so quite possible. smile

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 03 2012 10:39 AM

A field east of Ongar

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 03 2012 04:27 PM

satguru, is that canola in the background?
Posted by: Gees63

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 03 2012 07:33 PM

First butterfly of the year in the garden today

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 04 2012 09:46 AM

An ornamental pond at a convention centre in Ongar

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 04 2012 04:04 PM

Pansies peeping out from among the poppy foliage
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 04 2012 06:04 PM

May blossoms on my neighbour's tree

Posted by: Chavs

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 05 2012 09:57 AM

Glorious.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 05 2012 03:31 PM

I found a little shell I thought was pretty and took it home to try a still life.

I have to keep the pic small though.....................................................................................cos it's out of focus.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 05 2012 04:27 PM

Lovely. A stroke of genious to put it on the beautiful tree bark.
Still life would be another good subject for a 2 week theme.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 05 2012 05:06 PM

The centre of Epping, I hadn't been here for ages

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 06 2012 05:29 PM

This is the view across the bridleway where I walk Susie. The white on the field is a flock of seagulls that seem to be there pretty much all the time.

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 06 2012 07:02 PM

A field of rapeseed near Stratfield Saye in Berkshire

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 06 2012 07:54 PM

All the pictures are lovely. I especially love the still life chavs. The flowers and the pond make me think nice weather must be on its way here. The leaves are finally coming out on the trees.

While looking through pictures tonight I came across this one. A young Moose that came here to the farm a few years ago and kept breaking down fencing. He made the cows so nervous. But isn't he beautiful!

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 06 2012 08:32 PM

I've been inspired to try my luck taking flower photos by all the wonderful pics here. I'm definitely an amateur (but keen to learn) so if anyone wants to pass on any tips, please do so, either here, or by PM. (I also hope I've got the sizing right now that photobucket has changed)

This is a Pink Lace Azalea - as winter is fast approaching, the number of flowers still about is rapidly declining.....

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 06 2012 08:50 PM

The moose is magnificent, Tori! What do you farm?

Here is a pretty pink sunrise this morning.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 07 2012 01:37 AM

Love that sunset, and Tori the moose is great. How lovely to have that on your farm, even if he did damage the fences.

Mike, lovely flower photo, doesn't look like you need any advice. By the way, I love the Basilica photo as well.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 07 2012 04:09 AM

Love that moose!!!

Yesterday I had the opportunity of taking a guided visit of the MCS Divina, a 333 metre long, brand spanking new cruise liner, due to go into service in two weeks. We trekked all over that ship, from the opulent atrium, to the unfinished lower decks, to the top floor panoramic discotheque, we peeped behind the doors of the morgue, and had a squint at the captain's cockpit, admired the automatic laundry machinery which can iron and fold thousands of sets of sheets a day (a major consideration for the cleaning staff). It was like Disneyworld for grownups, luxury to the last detail, and was totally amazing.

No photos allowed on board the liner, but here's a shot taken on the quays. Difficult to get the whole length of her in, and there are people in the foreground which will give you an idea of the scale of the beast, though you really need to "see it to believe it".

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 07 2012 07:13 AM

My, that is big. How many people will she carry, must be thousands.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 07 2012 07:22 AM

Susie on our walk this morning

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 07 2012 07:46 AM

It carries up to 3 500 passengers and 1 500 crew!

Susie seems to have spotted something interesting!
Posted by: AlexxSchneider

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 07 2012 08:54 AM

That sunrise is breathtaking!

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 07 2012 10:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Santana2002
It carries up to 3 500 passengers and 1 500 crew!

Susie seems to have spotted something interesting!

I can see they would need 1500 crew. 500 are probably to stop the other 1000 getting lost!

Susie had spotted some lads having a kick about on the field and wanted to go get the ball.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 07 2012 03:31 PM

Seale church in Surrey

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 07 2012 03:47 PM

That's pretty satguru, I like that a lot.

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 08 2012 04:45 PM

The old quince tree in my garden in full flower. Hopefully we'll get plenty of fruit on it this year.

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 08 2012 05:44 PM

Thanks Christina, these scenes are everywhere but we just need to spot them. For those into nostalgia I found this today, it's changed less than nearly every other sign in 1964, and only recently learned the difference myself, which makes me wonder why they needed to change it at all. I had a couple already but were painted on, while this is a proper pressed metal one, which last for well over 100 years especially if painted from time to time.

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 08 2012 06:00 PM

Christina I just love Susie! I like the way she has her ears pointed and her paw up. On the lookout for her next adventure! What kind of fruit does a quince bush bare? I've never heard of it.

Satguru That is one of my favorite pictures that you have taken. Makes me feel like I've stepped back in time.

On our farm we use to raise beef cattle but both my husband and I work full time. On the acreage we have planted fast growing poplar, pines to sell at xmas, and soon some new maple trees. My husband is a Millwright at a local paper mill, runs a sawmill from the farm, and has just started making furniture, and right now in the middle of making a wood strip canoe. (I work at a Credit Union and I'm his "general labor" at home. ha smile

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 08 2012 09:59 PM

haha aren't we all the general labour? laugh

Susie is beautiful ... german sheperds are just so majestic!

I have hurt my knee somehow so instead of my daily walk today I made some meringue with chocolate cream instead.

Looks like I'll have to walk twice as far tomorrow wink

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 08 2012 10:15 PM

Susie is gorgeous, and the meringues look yummy! Some quince jam would be nice too... smile

There were a couple of families of Canada geese by the river today. The other one was swimming, these were just out for a stroll.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 01:40 AM

Tori - a quince tree has quinces. They are a golden colour, usually with dark splotches on them, quite large, think large pear size, and roughly pear shaped. You can't eat them raw, they taste horrible, but cook them and you have something quite delicious. You can do quince jam, apple and quince jam, quince and apricot paste is nice with a good strong cheese, baked stuffed quince is a nice winter desert. As they ripen they smell lovely and if you just put one in a bowl on the table it will perfume a room for three or four weeks. They take a while to cook as they are very hard raw and need to cook right down, but worth the effort. They're a very old English fruit.

Susie is gorgeous, thank you all, and always on the look out for mischief.

Copago, those look lovely. I love meringue but somehow mine never turn out quite right
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 04:55 AM

This little cricket appeared to adopt me on Sunday. We were eating lunch at an al fresco cafe when he jumped on my shoulder and he stayed there for an hour or so until I finally removed him. It was rather awkward trying to photograph my own left shoulder but this one came out okay.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 07:06 AM

Ewk, I would have been hysterical Carole!

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 01:13 PM

Wow, what a great close-up!

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 04:08 PM

So much detail, Carole!

A dead tree in some left over flood waters .. I'd say this will hang around for the winter now.

Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 05:08 PM

Quote:
Ewk, I would have been hysterical Carole!

Insects, spiders, and other "creepy crawlies" don't generally bother me. I guess that's the biologist in me. The only type I can't stand are cockroaches. Grasshoppers or crickets are harmless. This little guy wasn't at all bothered about having the camera sitting right alongside or him nor was he bothered about the flash.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 05:12 PM

I like that Copago - the way the tree reflects in the water.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 05:15 PM

I managed to get this one of Susie in a rare calm moment during training this morning

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 06:32 PM

I'm really enjoying all of these great photos. Copago, if it was less than about a 10 hour drive, I'd invite myself up to try some of those meringues! Assuming there's still some left of course :-)

Here's 'Twiggy' out for her morning check of the front garden, reassuring herself that none of those nasty neighborhood cats have invaded, or worse still a possum!

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 09 2012 09:27 PM

I have a small conifer like that outside the front door and Lucy always sniffed it as soon as I let her out. Glad the sign brought back memories, I was born at the start of the 60s (less than a month from it) and regardless of nostalgia think all the designs of the decade (including those made before then) are the best of all time, and collect anything connected with them.

I still take every footpath I see, they are all similar but obviously not identical. It is the small differences that make them more interesting. This was from Bovingdon yesterday.

Posted by: Tobyone

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 10 2012 12:10 AM

The cats and dogs are beautiful and the meringues look delectable.

This is my Django when he was younger.

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 10 2012 02:01 PM

awww now that's a bit cute, Tobyone!

I am not sure what I was after here but this wasn't it .. but I like it.

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 10 2012 04:12 PM

Django is gorgeous.

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 10 2012 07:47 PM

The hills near Sarratt

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 11 2012 03:03 PM

We're losing things in teh grass .. not very usual for out here but we'll take it!

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 11 2012 05:29 PM

More British countryside by the last one

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 11 2012 10:23 PM

Beautiful dogs! Beautiful countryside!

This is what Precious was doing when I came in from shopping this afternoon.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 12 2012 07:51 AM

Cow parsley in my orchard looking lovely in the sun this morning

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 12 2012 02:27 PM

What a poser that Precious is!
Beautiful photos already this month Thanks all.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 12 2012 07:40 PM

As they seem so popular here's another arrival I discovered a couple of days ago, and they are the same on the other side but had other things in front so took them separately in the other direction.

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 13 2012 03:25 AM

Jinx looking very serious about it all

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 13 2012 07:54 AM

I noticed that in the sun this morning the first of my big poppies was starting to open. They're loaded with buds so should make a nice splash of colour over the next few days.

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 13 2012 01:39 PM

A typical country pub, The Boot at Chipperfield

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 13 2012 08:29 PM

grass smile

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 14 2012 04:54 AM

Your grass is the wrong colour, copago! Shouldn't it be green? grin

Satguru, your roadsign up above brought to mind All Creatures Great and Small, with Siegrfried & Tristan Farnham & all their exploits in the Yorkshire Dales! I must dig out my paperbacks and flick through them again, they always bring a smile!

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 14 2012 07:23 PM

Although the signs were changed officially when I was 4, it took ages for them to gradually swap them over (there were many millions) so pretty much defined my childhood. Had it occurred to me earlier I could have got ten times as many as I have now, but despite going digital in 2005 was a couple of years before I found my first one and once you notice one you keep going. I've got every known one now in about three counties and these and one last week turned up since to keep me going. And half the ones I took are gone now so many would never be recorded had I not taken them.

Another country pub in Chipperfield

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 14 2012 08:56 PM

I can see how Precious got her name! Too adorable.

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 15 2012 08:37 PM

we'll take grass of any colour , Santana smile

A fly close up ..

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 16 2012 01:50 AM

My Mother's Day gifts . Nice to be appreciated!

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 16 2012 02:48 AM

Ooh, very nice ren.
Posted by: ertrum

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 16 2012 09:46 AM

Very tangible appreciation, that!

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 16 2012 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Gees63
First butterfly of the year in the garden today

Gees63, that was so pretty, with the butterfly just like an extension of the flowers. You inspired me to try -- first photo of a butterfly I've ever managed - but you have to look to find it.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 16 2012 09:27 PM

A field near Braintree

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 17 2012 04:26 PM

Foxgloves. I love these, in particular I love watching the bees go into them and come out covered in pollen.

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 17 2012 06:09 PM

Fantastic. Yes I love all those English Cottage garden flowers. I get so nostalgic.

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 17 2012 09:02 PM

A swan in the Ornamental Lake, Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne. The 'green' in the water is duckweed, not algae. The swan was totally unconcerned by my presence in the water nearby and come up to investigate.

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 18 2012 04:06 AM

Beautiful pic, Micke. They are a lovely bird.

I can't see the butterfly, Chav .. do we get a hint?? laugh

Nice pressie, Ren! I got a drawing and a couple of rocks ... wink

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 18 2012 06:49 PM

Having just made my second blog attempt (abbreviated) to describe Tuesday's journey through hell (the computer blew up while writing it) I've used the static road to make some recordings of it. This is the A12, a major road which has never been busy all my life which was gridlocked like this for 10 miles. This is just before you get to Brentwood going under the M25. I use the bridges to make sure I can work out where they'd been taken.

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 18 2012 10:07 PM

My new planter made out of a 250 year old tree (from the stump area). The tree died of about 10 years ago. My husband cut it down so no dead branches would fall on the kids.
It has been out in the edge of the field ever since. I told my husband I wanted a fallen tree to make a planter out of it. Well on Mother's Day he showed me my new planter. He carved out the center and placed dirt in it. Now planted and ready to grow!

Ren: I LOVE your Mother's Day present too!

Chavs: I need a hint too!

Christine: I love the foxglove! Always a favorite.

Mike: The duckweed surrounding the black swan just sets it off. Beautiful!

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 01:44 AM

Wow, that swan!

Hint for the butterfly: it's on the right-hand side. Our right.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 02:20 AM

The Flame of the Forest tree opposite our house makes me gasp every year
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 07:25 AM

Jiminy Cricket! That's a wonderful capture Mother Goose!

Mike: love the one of Twiggy. You can almost see her nose "twitching" in that pic.

David: Your one of Seale Church is now officially my favourite of yours. "Artist's eye" and all. You seriously should get that one enlarged, printed and framed : )

Copago: Super fly! Looks like a jewel made of polished pewter!

Christina: here's your butterfly : ) ... (enjoyed the "puzzle" - thanks!)

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 03:21 PM

(My butterfly). Well done, Jake. laugh

Christina is busy taking more poppy pictures - I believe a promise of such was implied. smile

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 03:57 PM

It was indeed, but as yet none of the others are out. Couple are starting to split I noticed today so sometime in the next couple of days more poppy pictures will appear.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 04:11 PM

We've got a tropical butterfly gardens near us, so while we're waiting for the poppies to open, here's a butterfly instead.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 04:38 PM

This is the flavour of the month (since around 1990) for new house designs. This old village was built in Great Notley in Essex in 1999.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 04:59 PM

sorry Chavs, I've been confused about a LOT of things lately, sigh.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 09:54 PM

Precious, caught in the act of sharpening her non-existant front claws on some postcard albums. Doesn't the look just say "Who me?"

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 19 2012 11:49 PM

Liz, there's almost an apologetic look on Precious' face - of course that means 'sorry I've been caught', not 'sorry I've been naughty'! Love this photo and the recent contributions to our entomology collection!

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 20 2012 05:13 PM

Some lilies from last year

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 20 2012 06:17 PM

Stunning!

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 21 2012 07:43 AM

Thanks Chavs

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 21 2012 07:02 PM

I wish my neighbours would grow something as fabulous as that Ren!

Christina - what can I say that the photo doesn't speak for itself?? oh my. Lovely flutterby too.

My main computer had a heart attack 2 days ago. I'm hoping it's just a fan or a motherboard as I have a LOT of photos that I'd never saved to cd since the player hasn't worked in over a year. Oh well, guess I can always start over. The best pix are in the human memory banks anyway, so they say.

The weather hasn't been condusive to taking pictures lately (at least not when I'm OFF work lol), but here's some "Martha Washingtons" planted in a bench hubby built out of barnwood from my grampa's farmstead. I suppose I should have taken it from a different angle to show off the bench, but... meh LOL

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 21 2012 08:55 PM

Lovely, the wood is gorgeous. I am debating "Wood"for the next two week theme.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 21 2012 09:24 PM

Today I went to Overton which is a few miles past Basingstoke

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 22 2012 05:21 AM

That's lovely satguru. Is there anything better than an English country road in full flower?

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 22 2012 04:09 PM

Thanks Christina, many more to follow, here's a picture postcard view in North Waltham

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 23 2012 11:35 AM

More thatched cottages near the other ones

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 23 2012 03:59 PM

Those are both lovely photos. Real picture poscard English village. Time could pretty much have stood till there.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 23 2012 04:21 PM

Forget me nots and Aqualegias

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 24 2012 03:52 PM

Couple of big poppies that came out this morning with a bed of iris behind them

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 24 2012 05:27 PM

Seaside time again, I was going to paddle this time but as I only had a little bag with paper money as it was so hot there weren't enough coins for the meter to stop. I got some nice photos though which was the main reason I went there.

Westcliff- not quite the sea but the Thames estuary.
Posted by: Gees63

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 24 2012 07:25 PM

Head Office of Newcastle Building Society in Cobalt Business Park

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 25 2012 11:13 AM

The gardens by the sea front at Westcliff

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 25 2012 11:43 AM

You've been right in my neck of the woods satguru. Are you going to the Air Show at the weekend?

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 25 2012 04:54 PM

I've basically been working my way round the clock face of the map to cover new areas, and as they finally widened the North Circular have been catching up east for a while as the problems there made it very hard till recently. I have been to it once at Leigh and was very impressed, and then again by pure chance at Biggin Hill years later so although I didn't have a camera with me then have seen it twice. But I did find a spot on the map which fulfils various major criteria for my statistics so am planning a return the other side of the Crouch when I get a chance.

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 25 2012 05:25 PM

Seen at a local garden show

Re: May is Here! - Fri May 25 2012 06:39 PM

This is the time of year when Rosie takes up her position under the fan

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 26 2012 01:51 AM

Oh gorgeous.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 26 2012 07:56 AM

Haha that's too cute, ren!

Anyone for cake? GIANT cupcake even? Here's the centrepiece of my niece's Communion party last week:

(The icing is a bit dodgy in places, as the kiddies couldn't help picking at it from the second it was plated up. The part you can't see, at the back, was almost totally denuded of icing, and that photo was taken within a half an hour of the cake making its appearance).

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 26 2012 11:03 AM

No wonder. It's gorgeous. Nice photo.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 26 2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Christinap

Couple of big poppies that came out this morning with a bed of iris behind them

Love it. I'm very jealous.

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 26 2012 03:11 PM

Part of Southend people don't normally take photos of (so I have)

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 26 2012 03:39 PM

Thanks Chavs. The poppies are lovely but they don't last long unfortunately. They earn their place by being so spectacular when they are out though. Strangely they don't come well from seed, which is rare for poppies, but the clumps are easy to divide and root pretty much anywhere you care to put them.
Posted by: deputygary

Re: May is Here! - Sat May 26 2012 07:38 PM

I really enjoy looking at all the great pictures in this forum. The variety is great and the images are all so well done.

My better half and I went for a walk in the local nature park. We were there mostly to look at the geese and ducks. Partway through the walk my wife suddenly stopped and let out a "Eek" or a "Augh" or something (I really should listen to her more closely). This was in the path ahead of us. I said "partway through the walk" when I should have said "very near the end of the walk" because after she spotted this, our nature walk was pretty much done. I believe it is a bull snake. He or she was about 4 feet long.

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 27 2012 01:54 AM

Great photo - are bull snakes dangerous?

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 27 2012 07:04 AM

Non venomous apparently and you can keep them as pets! How nice.
Posted by: deputygary

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 27 2012 07:22 AM

They are. We didn't.

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 27 2012 03:12 PM

This is Tulse Hill

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 27 2012 04:16 PM

When we had the front path relaid last autumn I planted this new bed of roses under the window. They were just bare rooted sticks, five bushes, big gaps inbetween them, but have really grown well and are now just starting to come out.

Re: May is Here! - Sun May 27 2012 07:58 PM

Christina Wish you were my neighbo"u"r!(I'd press you into helping me with mine-Ha) Love your gardens.

Satguru I love your scenic country pictures.

DeputyGary "They are. We didn't". Too funny.

Santana I'll take the giant cupcake please! Looks delicious.

Ren Rosie is adorable. I've always loved the look of a cat with orange markings.

I've been busy with my son's Graduation/Party. Ready to find some fun things to snap and post.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 05:03 AM

Here's something which I found rather special: a curved suspension bridge! This is the newly opened (2011) bridge at Térénez, Brittany. It runs for 515 metres long, and the pylons are 100 metres high.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 08:30 AM

Although it's lost the circle on top the sign and pole are in very good condition. There are a few of these all around the same area as the council kept them, but all the same although there was one with a circle on top I found a few years ago.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 11:17 AM

DeputyGary: that's an EXCELLENT photo, especially considering your partner was probably in panic mode LOL. Hope you drop in more often! : )

Santana : cool bridge! Am assuming you're standing on a pedway/cycle lane? (seems very narrow lol)

Okay, here's a different orchid still blooming in my kitchen:

You know, I never noticed until taking this picture, that the orange section in the middle looks disturbingly like some flying demonic creature. Perhaps I should stop watching horror movies lol

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 01:19 PM

Yes Jakeroo, I was leaning over the wall of the pedestrian walkway for that photo. It was spitting rain when we passed by and impossible to photograph through the car windscreen, what with the droplets, the wipers and the extra layer of glass.
Posted by: ertrum

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 02:10 PM

I think that orchid is really a Rorshach test, Jakeroo.
I see your winged demon, do you see the warthog?

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 03:54 PM

I hadnt noticed the warthog until you said that ertrum.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 03:59 PM

This is one of my big poppies when completely open. They're called "Ladybird" and you can see why. Even the pollen in them is black.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 06:41 PM

That's drop dead gorgeous.

=========================

Is it cheating to post a collage? A buttercup's life span, taken over about a week.

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 07:02 PM

If it's "illegal", it shouldn't be. Lovely.

Santana: Thanks for the info. And I've never seen a curved suspension bridge before so thanks for posting it.

Ertrum: yes I DO see it (didn't before) - complete with tusks and all! Hmm, I wonder what that says about us LOL

(edited today because I neglected to respond to two comments yesterday)

Re: May is Here! - Mon May 28 2012 07:34 PM

Great photos everyone - as someone else said it's so nice to see such a variety.

We are in our busy time of the year and are shearing. Super cold in the mornings so here is one of the contractor's dogs finding somewhere warm in the wool to have a snooze.

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 29 2012 02:00 AM

Love the collage Chavs.

Oh, that dog looks so comfy and contented Copago.

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 29 2012 02:18 PM

A view towards Alexandra Park from Bounds Green

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 29 2012 05:41 PM

Waiting for his next meal!

Re: May is Here! - Tue May 29 2012 06:58 PM

oooooooo

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 30 2012 12:20 AM

umm, what is it, Christina? shocked

A shearer's handpiece.
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 30 2012 01:14 AM

Copago, I have not seen one of those since I was a teenager! They have not changed a bit in all those years.

I recall having to sharpen the cutters on a big emery wheel- lots of fun with sparks flying all over the place.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 30 2012 01:42 AM

lol - it's still the same - I'll take a pic of it for you tomorrow smile

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 30 2012 02:09 AM

Copago, it's a vulture. Not native to the British Isles you'll be pleased to know, this one is in Colchester Zoo.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 30 2012 06:29 AM

ah thanks, they aren't a very attractive bird are they??

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 30 2012 06:52 AM

Not very no, but quite impressive, much bigger than you think when you get quite close to one.

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 30 2012 07:03 AM

Here's a full sized one

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 30 2012 06:29 PM

I think vultures are SO cool. They may not be really pretty, but they're certainly loyal. Almost all of the various species mate for life. And they're not all "ugly" either (google an Egyptian vulture - pure white plumage with a yellow head - or better yet, a King vulture -they have as many colours on their heads as puffins do).

That being said, am posting a "cutie-pie" pic of some local goslings. They're not very old and at this stage their feathers are so fluffy that the sun shines through, giving them a slight "glow". Oh and by the way, this was a telephoto shot - there was NO way I was getting close to the babies as parent Canada geese are notoriously highly protective and WILL attack you!

Re: May is Here! - Wed May 30 2012 06:36 PM

Awwww!

Awwwwwwww!

AWWWWWWWWWW! laugh

The vulture is such a weird looking thing. I"m not sure if he's ugly or wise and majestic. smirk

Here's the wool split into different lines.

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 31 2012 06:26 AM

Jakeroo!
That's a gorgeous photo!
(As well as being the very definition of cute.)
Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 31 2012 12:39 PM

Although I don't post here much I do admire all the pictures!
A picture, combining a picture and my love of crafts

A very special bear with a scarf where I pin my pin-badges. The bear is called "Patrick bear", as a very special friend of mine sent me him, with flowers, when Dad died. It's six years, tomorrow, since Dad died, but "Patrick bear" helps his memory to live on smilee

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 31 2012 03:23 PM

What a lovely friend to do that, and such a nice picture to post, and memory keeper. smile

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 31 2012 04:39 PM

The church in Waresley, Cambridgeshire

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 31 2012 07:41 PM

That is lovely, Jane. Hope you have some smiles tomorrow remembering your Dad xx

Re: May is Here! - Thu May 31 2012 08:33 PM

That's all for May , unless there are any latecomers. Thanks all for another star studded month.
Thanks Jill for opening June!