And now for July!

Posted by: ren33

And now for July! - Sat Jun 30 2012 03:57 PM

Welcome all to a new month. Of course we are expecting great things from the Olympics visitors among us!
So, on your marks....
Posted by: Christinap

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 08:11 AM

A group of self seeded opium poppies.

Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 08:33 AM

shhhhhhhhhh - call them Oriental poppies instead LOL!
Anyway, they're gorgeous : ) Love your fence too

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 09:20 AM

Hmmmm and where did the seeds come from I wonder? !

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: ren33
Hmmmm and where did the seeds come from I wonder? !

Possibly the bird seed I put out every day. Either that or blew in from somewhere.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 11:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
shhhhhhhhhh - call them Oriental poppies instead LOL!
Anyway, they're gorgeous : ) Love your fence too

Thanks Jakeroo. The fence is made out of salvage floor boards. Cheap way of doing it when you need a lot, very hard wearing as well and ideal for putting climbers up.
Posted by: Chavs

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 02:58 PM

Aha! So you admit you are feeding a habit? grin

They are beautiful.
Posted by: satguru

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 05:18 PM

This country lane could be virtually anywhere in England, and is however next to the prairies on Dengie Marsh in Essex.

Posted by: martin_cube

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 05:27 PM

During recent strong winds in the UK, this tree came off second best. frown

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 05:30 PM

Martin! You were sadly missed! Welcome home.
Posted by: Howie72

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 06:18 PM

Here is the other plumage of the variable oystercatcher at the Smithfield rock pools. They are called variable oystercatchers due to some being all black and others black and white.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 06:39 PM

They are lovely birds, and that is another great photo Howie.
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 01 2012 08:57 PM

Canada Day fireworks, as seen from the end of my street.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 02 2012 07:11 AM

What a fabulous photo.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 02 2012 07:53 AM

Thanks Christinap. It was a really great show, and that was one of the prettiest of the lot. I was lucky to catch it.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 02 2012 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ren33
Martin! You were sadly missed! Welcome home.

Why, thank you! smile
I haven't had much to post lately nor had the time to do it.
I think I found Wally/Waldo though:

Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 02 2012 01:58 PM

This Mickey Mouse was purchased from Disneyland (obviously laugh ) for me by a kind cousin more than 30 years ago now. He's looking well, just had a new nose grin

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 02 2012 02:25 PM

Spanishliz, great shot!

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 02 2012 04:10 PM

I agree, it is a great shot. Fireworks are very difficult to capture.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 02 2012 05:20 PM

Not currently an Olympic Sport, but you never know, it might make a come-back.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 02 2012 05:29 PM

Christina, I love that pic. They should definitely bring it in to the Olympics. They look so good! I like the horse in the red - there's something extra refined about him/her, maybe it's the way the hoof is delicately raised, is it a royal wave?

It could be the Bristol City colours, of course.

Was that Bristol City, Martin?

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 02 2012 06:19 PM

Thanks Chavs. The red horse was slightly smaller than the others, and they all bowed on command as well. I think they could definitely have it in the Olympic opening ceremony.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 03 2012 03:00 AM

Yes Chavs, it was at a Bristol City match.

As for the jousting, how about having that at the end of a football match instead of penalty shoot-outs? There's plenty of room on the pitch, we've seen that different coloUrs can be worn and it might give England a chance of winning!

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 03 2012 05:07 AM

What a good idea.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 03 2012 11:42 AM

I've never seen photos taken with me or taken them myself of fireworks without a good deal of light persistence, that would have needed a very fast setting and if not taken with a tripod as well is even more impressive as I've tried myself many times and without the right kit it can't be done- I had a go new year's day this year if anyone remembers.

This is a field in pouring rain in Avington near Winchester

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 03 2012 02:31 PM

I just put my Canon Rebel on the Sports setting and took loads of photos, handheld. A few of them were good smile

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 03 2012 02:48 PM

Always useful to know what can manage the tough shots, fireworks are a test of a good camera as such little light combined with a fast exposure stretches them to the limits.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 03 2012 04:35 PM

SpanishLiz: You have a Rebel? Am jealous!

Satguru: were you under an umbrella when you took the pic? Because when I try photos in the rain all I get are water splots lol. Lovely photo by the way, quite "ethereal" : )

We're no doubt about to get a huge thunderstorm here. Will try for pics of either lightning (although it's not even close to dark here yet) or hail. Am suspecting the latter, since the temp dropped about 6 degrees in the last 15 minutes lol

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 03 2012 05:36 PM

Martin, I'm Irish but I grew up in Clevedon, if you know it? My dad was a big Bristol City fan. Still is! He looked like a wally on a weekly basis. laugh

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 04 2012 01:35 AM

not a very good photo but here is a spotted shag at the Smithfield rockpools

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 04 2012 05:06 AM

Loving all these birds, Howie. How beautiful he is.

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 04 2012 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Chavs
Martin, I'm Irish but I grew up in Clevedon, if you know it? My dad was a big Bristol City fan. Still is! He looked like a wally on a weekly basis. laugh

I live in South Bristol, about 10 miles from Clevedon so I know it very well. I've just bought a
season ticket for Bristol City. It's the first time I've done that so I hope they don't let me down!

Here's an attempted photo of some fireworks I took earlier! Nowhere as good as the one from
Spanishliz but an interesting effect none the less.

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 04 2012 04:14 PM

Ducklings on the brook we pass when out with the dog.

Posted by: Dotb

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 05 2012 06:44 AM

Here is a picture of some scuba divers caught on the rocks.

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 05 2012 09:09 PM

I was standing under a tree for that one but also depends if the wind's blowing the rain towards you or not which is what causes all the problems, which I have had when out in the open. It also steams up the lens if really bad.

This is the railway looking towards Finsbury Park.

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 05 2012 11:40 PM

After the spotted shag last time, why not have some little shags from the Smithfield rock pools as well?

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 06 2012 04:38 AM

Howie, your bird pictures are amazing. (& I've never seen an all-black Oyster Catcher before so that was a treat).

Originally Posted By: martin_cube

I live in South Bristol, about 10 miles from Clevedon so I know it very well. I've just bought a
season ticket for Bristol City. It's the first time I've done that so I hope they don't let me down!

Oh great! I'll be willing them on.

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 06 2012 04:00 PM

Do you live close to these rock pools Howie? You are lucky to have this on your doorstep, such lovely birds and such good photos.

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 06 2012 04:02 PM

Rayleigh High St this morning - Police outriders for the Olympic Torch relay, the torch is just round the corner behind them about to come into sight. I've never seen so many people in the High Street, they were ten deep in places.

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 06 2012 04:47 PM

Everywhere looks better from a bridge, even Stroud Green

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 06 2012 06:36 PM

The rockpools would be less than a 10 minute stroll away, depending on how long it takes to cross the main road.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 07 2012 07:54 AM

Amongst my self seeded poppies is this one. I've never seen one quite like it before. That colour yes, but with conventional petals, not looking like this.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 07 2012 01:19 PM

I went to London on Thursday which was the day that London's newest
building - The Shard - was inaugurated. It's the tallest building in Europe
and will be opened to public early next year. I couldn't fit it all into one
photo from where I was standing but I'll be back in London on Tuesday
so I'll try again then. At least I got the pointy end in!

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 07 2012 04:10 PM

I saw The Shard several times when it was being built. Makes you dizzy looking up at it. Did you see the photos the other day of the window cleaner who got into difficulties right at the very top, his platform was swinging around all over the place, must have been terifying. I've been to the top of The Gherkin, and the views are stupendous, must be even better from The Shard though.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 07 2012 05:32 PM

It's interesting what you can see from bridges, I don't know whose garden this is but they are clearly used to people looking in

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 07 2012 06:11 PM

That poppy is simply amazing,Christina!

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 07 2012 08:17 PM

I'm going to collect the seeds and see if it comes true from seed. A big patch of those would be quite spectacular.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 07 2012 11:01 PM

Not just birds at the Smithfield rock pools, here we have a purple rock crab, photographed through the water.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 08 2012 02:31 AM

Wow, the water must be so clear and clean there, that's lovely.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 08 2012 07:50 AM

We've had this hen pheasant around the garden a lot in the last few days. I'm wondering if she has chicks somewhere nearby.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 08 2012 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Christinap
I saw The Shard several times when it was being built. Makes you dizzy looking up at it. Did you see the photos the other day of the window cleaner who got into difficulties right at the very top, his platform was swinging around all over the place, must have been terifying. I've been to the top of The Gherkin, and the views are stupendous, must be even better from The Shard though.

I'd quite forgot about The Shard and it wasn't until I was on my way to London that I saw it
mentioned in the BBC news. That's when I decided to find it if I had the time. I haven't seen
that video yet though I can imagine how scary it must have been. He certainly earned his money
that day!
It would be good to see London from the top to see how the view compares to New York from
the top of the Rockefeller Centre and Berlin from the TV Tower. (One way to overcome any fear
of heights I might have had.) smile

The main reason for the trip to London was to visit the RAF museum at Hendon. They have
dozens of aircraft that I didn't think I'd ever get to see in the flesh (or metal, wood and fabric).
It was good to see a Chipmunk there. It was one similar to this that I had my first ever flight
in.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 08 2012 01:59 PM

Today we went to the local food festival...

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 08 2012 03:38 PM

More of Stroud Green

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 09 2012 12:10 PM

Another day, another photo. A traditional house and garden in Thames Ditton

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 09 2012 01:14 PM

Another aircraft I was fortunate enough to fly in many times was a Slingsby Cadet glider like
the one below. One flight ended early when the towing cable broke when we were half way up.
Luckily, we had enough altitude to be able to do a circuit of the airfield and land again. My
fellow Air Cadets asked if I'd been scared but it all happened too quickly to be frightened. I was
more disappointed about having my flight cut short but I got to go up again later in the day.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 09 2012 04:08 PM

Oh satguru that is so pretty, just looks like a chocolate box picture. Lovely to see those can still be found.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 09 2012 09:32 PM

Great photos!

We got stuck in a bit of a traffic snarl crossing the top of Toronto yesterday, and kept seeing this fellow alongside us. Snapped him from my back seat vantage point.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 10 2012 05:44 PM

Nap time at Caroline Bay yesterday.....

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 10 2012 07:08 PM

I spotted that garden straight away, besides the house which is quite unusual they'd put an awful lot of effort planting the garden just right to fit in. Every bunch was arranged exactly and they also managed to get it all flowering at the same time which needs a lot of knowledge as well.

Here's another one near Richmond

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 11 2012 08:07 AM

My pink buddleia has definitely liked the rain this year

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 11 2012 05:32 PM

I bumped into this happy looking ogre near the Houses of Parliament yesterday. I'd vote for him!

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 11 2012 08:25 PM

This is Hackney Wick by the Blackwall Tunnel approach road

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 12 2012 04:02 PM

I always like roads taken from bridges but there was a bit in the way of this on the Blackwall Tunnel Approach

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 12 2012 10:26 PM

If you are not captivated by the main object in this photo you will notice a little cushion starfish, again at the Smithfield rock pools.

Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 13 2012 05:55 AM

Molten sulfur coming out from the rocks in Kawa Ijen (Ijen volcano), Java, Indonesia. It was relatively safe inside the crater but the smell (like rotten eggs) was appalling. Many Indonesians in the area cart large lumps of sulfur out of the crater as their employment. REALLY tough work.

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 13 2012 06:01 AM

Loving all the photos... the variety is wonderful.

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 13 2012 07:08 AM

Incredible that sulphur! We sprinkle powdered sulphur around the fences to keep out snakes. Presume its the same.The colour is amazing.

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 13 2012 07:42 AM

Yes, one and the same, ren! The poor guys that carried it out of the crater in huge chunks did it by having two large wicker baskets between a pole. The pole went over the shoulders. We watched at the weighing station and the weight of sulfur each man was carrying was between 80 and 100 kg (175 and 220 lb). They made this trek into and back out of the crater multiple times per day in really poor quality air. If you look carefully you'll see some orange colour in with the yellow - just to the right of my friend taking the photo. That's the molten sulfur coming out of the ground. It turns yellow as it solidifies.

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 13 2012 06:35 PM

Just to prove I can even manage a reasonable photo in Hackney. I'm sure I've just insulted a few people there but expect more people leave too soon to get that attached to it...

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 13 2012 06:43 PM

Yikes, followed by awesome. The only two words I can think of to describe your photo Mike!

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 14 2012 12:30 AM

Are you really taking a photo of me?

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 14 2012 02:17 AM

Good one, I like that.

Mike - awesomme photo.
Posted by: mountaingoat

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 15 2012 07:26 AM

test

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 15 2012 07:49 AM

The recent heavy rain has made the soil so loose that a good gust of wind brought this old apple tree crashing down this morning. I was cross as I'd been trying to grow a rambling rose up it. Still, hopefully I can save the rose. It snapped the parasol on the way down and just missed the seat by a whisker. Lucky really, if it had gone the other way it would have taken a shed out.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 15 2012 03:29 PM

Ooh, dramatic! I hope you can rescue the rose.

My own rambling rose turned 21 this month.

Just to be clear, I mean my daughter; I haven't actually named any of my plants. (Yet).

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 15 2012 03:41 PM

It's very rare we get modern new houses built here any more, most are copies of workman's cottages from the industrial revolution time. But these have just gone up in Hackney so it is possible.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 15 2012 03:44 PM

I think I can rescue the rose. I had a look and the roots are still in place, so cut it back, get an arch or something and it should be OK.

Lovely looking cake, did you make it?

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 15 2012 05:00 PM

A slight change from birds to travel photos from my 2010 trip. Here we have Dome Rock on the way to Phoenix, Arizona. Taken from the bus while going from San Francisco to Lubbock.....about a 37 hour bus trip.....lol

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 15 2012 05:10 PM

Lubock, Texas, home of Buddy Holly.

Great photo Howie, you can imagine the cowboys riding along there. Don't know about a 37 hour bus trip though, imagine you had a numb behind after that.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 01:08 AM

That was just the beginning but each subsequent bus ride got shorter and shorter with the last one being about 8 hours. Luckily for most of the time going across the USA I had no one next to me which made it easier to change positions to get a little more comfortable....lol
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 04:32 AM

Great selection of photos so far! Love those chairs (formerly) underneath your apple tree, Christinap! (& hope you manage to save the rose)!

Here's a shot of the pond in our village park, taken with my mobile phone in the middle of a misty rainshower:

Posted by: mountaingoat

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 04:42 AM

test 2

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 06:29 AM

Howie I hope you saw that you are a Roll of Honouree. Please go and post a pic in there!

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 07:02 AM

Congratulations on the Roll of Honour Howie, well deserved

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 07:02 AM

Congratulations on the Roll of Honour Howie, well deserved

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 07:06 AM

Don't know how I managed a double post there! Never mind, just take it as double congratulations lol.

Santana, I've been out this morning and cut the rose back to around 4ft, tied it up to some stakes, and the roots are fine, completely undisturbed, so it should be OK. Once we finish chainsawing the tree I'll get an arch or pergola or something. Gave the chairs a good look over as well and not a scratch on them, which really was very lucky.

Love that picture of the lake, very romantic looking.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 11:50 AM

Sounds like the rose will be ok, I'm glad! The cake, by the way, was made by my Mum - granny's prerogative.

Congratulations, Howie! smile

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 04:42 PM

This fabulous old car was in the car park at a country show we went to recently. Still in daily use and the owner has had it for the last 45 years.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 04:52 PM

Another photo taken from the bus. Not really sure how I managed to get this river as the bus was travelling at whatever speed it was moving at, there were vehicles going past us in the opposite direction, there were trees and signs on the roadside but I still got the river and hill in the positions I hoped for. This is in Arizona between Phoenix and Flagstaff.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 08:55 PM

37 hours in the bus? And I didn't think California to Texas should take that long, but don't know the whole coast to coast. I did a small version back in 1980 and don't think we spent more than a few hours on any of the bus trips as we took a plane for the longer hops. But if it's a whole day where do you sleep? I can't sleep sitting up, meaning on the flight home I didn't sleep for maybe 36 hours altogether as a result and took weeks to recover.

This is the monorail linking the two terminals at Gatwick Airport.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 09:00 PM

I left San Francisco at 10pm at night on a Friday, went down to LA with an hour stopover, then west to Phoenix and north to Flagstaff before west again into New Mexico and Texas. Spent 2 nights on the bus though we stopped at some places in the early hours for 5 to 60 minutes. Arrived in Lubbock just after 1pm on the Sunday. Just try to sleep on the bus in between stops.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 16 2012 09:28 PM

Congrats Howie (I'm a bird fan too.. um the kind with wings lol).

Santana: fabulous photo and would make a great jigsaw puzzle!

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 17 2012 11:04 AM

This is a farm near Reigate, the camera packed up on the next photo but as it's doing it regularly I now carry a spare memory card, and although it took four more bad photos before alerting me I swapped it over and got 46 more. I may have to get a new camera now as it can't keep doing that and get away with it every time. It actually finds a way of mixing the new photo with another one before stopping altogether and need to wipe the card every time it does. If anyone knows what's happening or had it as well it would help.

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 18 2012 01:56 AM

It was my mum's 80th birthday yesterday & her granddaughter made this cake for
her party. She was up until 2 am trying to get it finished in time.

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 18 2012 04:55 AM

Wow! Well done to your granddaughter, Martincube, she did a fantastic job! I love the teal shade of those sugar roses!

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 18 2012 05:27 AM

Yes that is my favourite colour. I want that for my 80th cake!

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 18 2012 07:18 AM

Looks good enough to eat Martin

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 18 2012 02:06 PM

Indeed it was. It was far too big for the number of guests who turned up so if anyone happens to be in the Bristol area in the next few days then let me know & I'll save you some. smile

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 18 2012 09:09 PM

Happy birthday Mrs Cube! I think both our mothers were the same age when we were born as you are both two years older than me and mine.

One of my usual road pictures next to Gatwick Airport

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 19 2012 01:31 PM

The first of two monarch butterfly photos.

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 19 2012 05:41 PM

The pond at Trent Park in Enfield

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 20 2012 08:27 AM

Every time these pigeons tried to rest on their owner's roof he clapped his hands and they started off on another circle. The exercise regime. Brilliant to watch.

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 20 2012 06:16 PM

I had to go here to complete my first 10km square on the photo map website, it was about a quarter mile walk and I did have an umbrella but no raincoat and had to change all my clothes when I got home as there was no sign of rain when I left.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 21 2012 03:54 AM

The other monarch butterfly photo.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 21 2012 05:49 AM

Gasp! Stunning. I could look at that all day.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 21 2012 09:46 AM

Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 21 2012 01:28 PM

The traditional Victoria sponge birthday cake for a very special three year old smile

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 21 2012 05:42 PM

Has anyone seen our sledge?

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 21 2012 05:42 PM

Howie, that butterfly picture is beautiful

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 21 2012 06:29 PM

Trent Park teachers training college's original building, now part of Middlesex University

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 22 2012 05:34 AM

One of the first things that greets you at the RAF museum at Hendon is this Hurricane (and the
Spitfire behind it):

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 22 2012 04:58 PM

Tower to black-backed seagull flight number BBS01, you are cleared to land on rock74....

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 22 2012 05:13 PM

Lol. It should be careful, there's a Hawker Hurricane on its tail...

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 22 2012 05:25 PM

You see the oddest things for sale at country shows every so often. This head is actually a carving. Very good but I don't think I could live with it.

Posted by: Mugaboo

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 23 2012 08:09 AM

Competed in the Tom Na Bat hill race this weekend (part of the 171st Tomintoul Highland Games). This is the point where I got to the lowest part of the route, before climbing almost to the top again. You can see the line of the path (there was not much path on the course, straight through the heather) on the top right. Two people were behind me at this point, and I got past another at the finish (Out of 45 I think).

Posted by: Mugaboo

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 24 2012 09:29 AM

After jumping over the ditch to get back onto the road, after the second decent of Tom na Bat, I was met with this view.
The river you see is the River Avon (pronounced "arn").

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 24 2012 04:11 PM

Mugaboo: The pictures are lovely (but I got tired just thinking about the "run" lol!)

Christina: Good Lord. Unless one had a ranch with Scottish Highland cattle (or whatever that's supposed to depict) I can't imagine wanting anything THAT big! Love the huskies - they look ready to pull that car, never mind a dogsled lol.

Martin: cool plane pix!!

Howie: who couldn't fall in love with that flutterby? And the gull pic would have been equally as beautiful without the bird at all but nice capture (you apparently live in "God's country") : )

The weather here since spring has been stormy (to say the least). So clever critters like wasps seek sheltered areas to build their nests. This one (only 4 days work - at that point - for the wasps) was found in the back corner of our greenhouse:

(yes we destroyed it - I don't mind them visiting, but if they're going to live here, then they have to pay rent lol)

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 24 2012 05:24 PM

Wow, makes you wonder just how big it would have got if you'd left it. I think I'd rather not know the answer to that.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 24 2012 06:04 PM

No, nasty. But it makes a really gorgeous photo.

More on the flight theme (well, it's Amelia's birthday after all):

Airshow participants on their way home, I think. So I got a private performance of formation flying.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 24 2012 07:54 PM

One of the ducks at the Timaru Botanical Gardens.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 24 2012 08:58 PM

If anyone wants to know what most of Middlesex looks like this is a pretty typical view. It was mainly built in the 30s along the railways and new industrial estates by them and these sort of houses go on endlessly for miles. I completed the first Ordnance Survey 10km square on Friday and had 24 to do in this one, I got 5 and then hit the olympic torch parade in the exact road I was heading to next so had to cut it short, I couldn't see it as the roads were backed up for a mile and had to turn round.

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 25 2012 12:43 PM

Still getting plenty of rain here.

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 25 2012 04:04 PM

This was my local bus stop for 28 years when I lived in Hampstead Garden Suburb

Re: And now for July! - Wed Jul 25 2012 05:55 PM

This is the building which houses the Imperial War Museum in London. (It would be interesting to
know where the big guns are aimed at. I can think of a couple of targets...)

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 26 2012 01:51 AM

The bat vault at the Louisville Slugger Museum, Kentucky. A very enjoyable look through the museum plus getting to see bats being made.

Posted by: ertrum

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 26 2012 09:49 AM

I wonder if Batman would like the Bat Vault? :-)
Posted by: sue943

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 26 2012 10:37 AM

I saw Bat Vault and though that you had been visiting our resident old bat! smile

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 26 2012 01:03 PM

This statue of Sir Winston Churchill appears to be keeping an eye on events at the Houses of
Parliament. (Whether he likes what he sees is another matter! whistle )

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 26 2012 04:03 PM

Ploughing competition at a local show

Posted by: Gees63

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 26 2012 04:40 PM

St James Park Newcastle ready for the Olympic football. The name of the stadium was changed to Sports Direct Arena after the stadium was chosen for the games so the new signs have had to be covered up hence the 2 white covered signs in the picture

Posted by: Copago

Re: And now for July! - Thu Jul 26 2012 10:36 PM

We've been away laugh

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 27 2012 04:23 PM

Close up of a nasturtium

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 27 2012 04:52 PM

they do like their XXXX in Queensland smile

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 27 2012 04:54 PM

Now that is what you call and industrial sized beer keg

Re: And now for July! - Fri Jul 27 2012 05:54 PM

This is somewhere I hadn't been for ages (14 years or so), entering Suffolk at the beginning of Newmarket racecourse

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 28 2012 10:13 AM

I must get this in straight away, the first picture from the 2012 olympic games, the men's cycle race in Kingston. I've got a couple of closeups as well if we can show people for this occasion, especially as they have all been on TV as well.
Edited to add Bradley Wiggins is on the far right of the pack.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 28 2012 03:45 PM

Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame at Longreach.
Great place. smile

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 28 2012 03:57 PM

Great going satguru, our first Olympic photo

Copago, thats a wonderful building and I love the ststue outside.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 28 2012 05:41 PM

Thanks Christina, many people have posted them on Flickr and all with cameras with fast shutters, and as a result can now say the cyclist on the right is Bradley Wiggins (click and choose full size and you will see) along with Mark Cavendish and Ian Stannard as they stayed in a bunch for most of the race. It's the women's tomorrow and found the best way to keep the cyclists in focus (this was the only one I got) and see how I get on.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 28 2012 06:06 PM

I saw lots of different signs on my recent trip to Massachusetts, Vermont and New York, but this one really made me giggle. It appears to be warning one to beware of pedestrians with hula hoops!

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 28 2012 06:15 PM

Well, they are quite a traffic hazard you know.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 28 2012 06:27 PM

Watch out for Vikings!

Athlone, Ireland.

Re: And now for July! - Sat Jul 28 2012 09:43 PM

Bringing the ingredients to the boil at Schimpff's Confectionary in Jeffersonville, Indiana. The only thing they do differently now than 100 years ago is use a thermometer to check the temperature. Back then they used a finger with glasses of ice cold water very close by....The other photos of the candy making has the owner in and as we are not supposed to show people....this will have to do.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 29 2012 11:51 AM

The sea near Tynemouth

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 29 2012 03:43 PM

We've had a band of thunderstorms rolling over us for a lot of today, which has given us some great looking clouds.

Re: And now for July! - Sun Jul 29 2012 04:36 PM

A few today were clearer than this, but here is the leading pack in the women's race with Lizzie Armitstead leading who was overtaken by inches at the end to win silver.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 01:53 AM

Great variety on this page, and exciting to see a bit of the olympics here.
Tynemouth looks very pretty.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 03:35 AM

Love the Olympic shots!
And what is that sign really trying to say? confused

Dusk

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 05:09 AM

Here's a shot of the Viaduct "L'Isle Jourdain" (near Poitiers, France), where my crazy 15-year-old son did a (50m high) bungee jump last Saturday:

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 05:37 AM

A friend of ours gave us this magnificent bunch of pink lilies. The aroma as you enter the room is amazing. If someone with more botanical knowledge than me (i.e. any botanical knowledge whatsoever), can identify them, please do so :-) The diameter of each flower is around 6-8" (15-20 cm)

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 06:12 AM

Ohh Mike, what an elegant flower, and a lovely photo - it looks like a painting. I'd be interested to know its name too. Maybe Christina knows?

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 07:09 AM

From the photo, which is gorgeous, and Mike's description of size and perfume I'm guessing it's a pink variety of "Stargazer". They're Asiatic lilies and always have a lovely perfume and those long stamens. Mike, watch the pollen, it stains things and they absolutely drip with it.

You can grow those yourself, bulbs are obtainable any good garden centre or mail order. They need good drainage, so put some grit or something in the planting hole and they'll come up year after year. Unless you disbud you won't get flowers quite that size, but still a good size, about 4 inch diameter.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 07:17 AM

This is my orange "Stargazer", which has been growing happily in the garden for about four years now. Some have speckled inside, some don't. I've got a white one which isn't but has a pink outer and a white inner.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 03:25 PM

wow - beautiful.
And *shudder* at the bungee jump!

Big sky country smile

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 04:30 PM

This is another statue I spotted in London. It's a Lioness chasing a Lesser Kudu and can be
found in Lower Grosvenor Gardens near Victoria Station. An interesting piece which doesn't
look completely out of place, especially with a little foliage in the foreground I thought.

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 04:44 PM

A field near Crowborough

Re: And now for July! - Mon Jul 30 2012 06:26 PM

Another thing, Mike, do not let the cat near that lily, the pollen can be fatal to pets, so I am told.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 02:58 AM

Martin, that's really a great photo with all the foliage & I like the statue but...what is it doing there? I've tried to google but other people seem as baffled as me.

Perhaps it's a bit of feminism what with all the male lions lolling about the rest of the city!

Christina, I knew we could count on you and your lovely garden. smile

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 03:57 AM

Wow, Ren, I didn't know that. Thanks so much for alerting us to that. The flowers have now been relegated to the sealed rubbish bin (outside). Twiggy (the cat) will be most grateful....

Many thanks too for the identification, Christinap!

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 05:22 AM

Archery at Lords cricket ground.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 09:37 AM

Great pics! Love the 'lympics ones!

Here's another shot of that viaduct:

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 11:35 AM

Great photo Dot - lucky you to have some tickets.

I shudder at the thought of that bungee jump. It just looks sooo high.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 01:51 PM

Did someone say Olympics? More from the women's cycling, my camera wouldn't focus any closer and I didn't manage to sort out the zoom to bring them closer myself as it was all so rushed (plus pouring with rain) but get a general idea.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Chavs
Martin, that's really a great photo with all the foliage & I like the statue but...what is it doing there? I've tried to google but other people seem as baffled as me.

Perhaps it's a bit of feminism what with all the male lions lolling about the rest of the city!

It seems that it was commissioned by the Duke of Westminster for the centre of the Upper Gardens and was made by the sculptor Jonathan Kenworthy. I can't find out why he did it though it certainly makes the gardens special.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 03:41 PM

This is what is left of my old tree that came down after all the branches etc. have been sawn up and gone for firewood. I'm left with these bits of trunk, each around 2ft to 2ft 6in. high, which I am going to try and use somewhere in the garden as sone sort of feature. Haven't decided what yet though.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 03:44 PM

Martin, it's a great statue, and if you look round London there are some strange statues in various gardens and parks. Perhaps he just wanted a piece of art in the gardens, a sort of conversation piece but on a large scale.

Re: And now for July! - Tue Jul 31 2012 08:28 PM

July being over I am about to close this thread.
August thread is on its way.