Welcome to the August Photo Thread!

Posted by: ren33

Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Jul 31 2012 08:30 PM

Here we go then (Where did July go?) Welcome all, to this ever more amazing forum!
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 04:37 AM

When on holidays recently we visited the mountain village of St Nectaire, source of some delicious cheese, favourite of our household for many years. My eldest boy has dreamed of sitting down to an entire wheel of this cheese ever since he was little, so it was the perfect occasion to realise his dream:

Posted by: Christinap

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 07:25 AM

Hope he didn't eat it all at once.

I spent the morning starting the pricking out of my spring bedding seedlings and this is the fruits of my labour. Wallflowers and one tray of Sweet William pricked out, two trays of pansies and another of Sweet William to go, but they're not quite big enough yet.

Posted by: Mugaboo

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 08:28 AM

Finally got round to using my scanner on some old photos. This photo was from the first reel of colour film I ever took. Taken on a geography expedition in 1973 from school, and is of the Neptune locks at Fort William, when they were cleaning it out. (Not quite as sweet as Christinap's William though smilee)

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 11:37 AM

That's come out well Mugaboo. Must get the scanner going on some of my old photos.
Posted by: satguru

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 12:28 PM

A field near Hartfield in Sussex

My first colour film was also used on a school trip, Stratford on Avon in 1968. I think I added one already but will add another tomorrow. I also took some round Fort William the following year.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 12:53 PM

Oh Christinap, that's a lovely lot of future-flowers you have there! I always did like Sweet Williams!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Santana2002
Oh Christinap, that's a lovely lot of future-flowers you have there! I always did like Sweet Williams!

My Grandmother always grew them. I just love the look and the fragrance. I'm planning my big central bed full of those, the wallflowers and tulip bulbs.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 04:50 PM

They were a firm favourite of my own grandmother, perhaps that's why I love them so much, they're an integral part of my childhood memories.

We're 'tomorrow' here, I'll post my picture for today, shall I? There's not much to see of the village of St Nectaire, it's a small place, huddled close to the side of the mountain, with a few houses, a church and a teeny shop. We did appreciate the cool water in the fountain, to freshen our sticky selves, as it was so hot that day:

Posted by: spanishliz

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 08:47 PM

This is the view from my hotel room balcony, overlooking Laurel Lake in Massachusetts, last week.

Posted by: Howie72

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 08:57 PM

Nothing very exciting to begin August, I came across this little blackbird on my travels the other day.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 10:22 PM

Well,I, for one, find it very exciting, Howie. If I saw him I would be very happy as it would mean I was in England, and I miss it lots at the moment. Sweet picture.
What a lovely view, Liz.
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 01 2012 11:22 PM

Santana: It's a VERY nice picture of cheese, but upon thinking about eating it all, I'm sort of planning on baking some bran muffins to go along with LOL

SLiz: you NEED to blow that one up and frame it. Beautiful!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 07:18 AM

Fabulous view Liz and great picture. You've even got stars in it, which are really hard to get to come out on a photo.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 07:29 AM

Managed to catch this little Great Tit on the bird feeder this morning

Posted by: Chavs

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 07:38 AM

Brilliant! I really love that, Christina.

A bit of hot colour.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 07:55 AM

Great pic of the Great Tit! Looks like he posed for you!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 02:05 PM

Again I think the public aspect of sport allows me to add this one, Wingate & Finchley v Wycombe Wanderers last night

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 02:47 PM

Thanks Chavs and Liz. The birds were back and forth from the feeder this morning and I just sat there and shot off loads of pictures, and when I loaded them up and looked at them that one was far and away the best. I had others as sharp and as close, but it is just the way he was posing there that made that one the one to go with.
Posted by: ertrum

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 04:08 PM

Clonmacnoise Abbey, Ireland

The Shannon was so high we couldn't dock at the Abbey, but had to moor at Shannonbridge.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 04:56 PM

What a wonderful little Great tit, Christinap! and chavs, the orange of that flower is so intense it's just hopping off the screen!

Here's a shot of a house perched precariously on the edge of the cliff at Rocamadour, a wonderful, buzzing village set high on the cliffs of a gorge on a tributary of the river Dordogne:

Posted by: Dotb

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 05:42 PM

Ooh what lovely pictures you've all posted. Satguru, I've been meaning to tell you for a while that I really appreciate your photos of our 'green and pleasant land' with urban and country pics. Thank you. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 02 2012 06:31 PM

Thanks Dot, after covering the local area I'm now adding photos to the Ordnance Survey map so covering as far and wide as possible. You always see a few nice views especially on the hills with long distances showing, while the urban ones are either around here or in neighbouring towns as I go through them.
Posted by: Copago

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 01:08 AM

Having being without phone and internet for a while I'm back.
This is a rented van from a company for backpackers mostly called Wicked. They're all different from what I can work out and very distinctive!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 01:51 AM

Meet a very noisy bird....the spur winged plover. Even with my bird stalking I could not get too close to this one, I was too scary for it. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 07:25 AM

A row of hand carved walking sticks for sale.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 07:54 AM

Oh! So gorgeous! Almost makes you wish you needed one!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 08:47 AM

Boats on Anglesea.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 03:50 PM

Santana, that's a beautiful house, like something from a fairytale. & I would have said so earlier but I got delayed by....oh gosh -- you're going to think I'm so stupid lol but when you said:
the organe of that flower is so intense
I thought "organe" was some botanical term and have been googling to look for it. Not finding it, I decided it was probably a french word and googled for that! It took some time for me to realise it was just a typo, talk about falcepalm moments...Anyway, the organe is montbretia/crocosmia & your photo is lovely.

I blame Word Wizard. It has addled my mind! eek

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: ren33
Oh! So gorgeous! Almost makes you wish you needed one!

The sticks themselves are made of bog oak, and he hand carves all the handles. He'll do them to order so if you want a warthog, or an elephant or whatever, he'll do it. He comes from Ely, right on the fens, which is where you find the bog oak, and does all the Country shows round here. Has done for years.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 04:27 PM

Those walking sticks are gorgeous, as is that photo of them! Love the play of light and dark and the linear look to it!

Chavs, sooooo sorry for all that confusion! (But I did laugh when imagining your frustrated attempts to find my 'botanical' term grin). Have fixed that typo up now to avoid any future confusion laugh

Copago, that van looks kind of fun!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 05:05 PM

I wouldn't get any closer to the plover either!

here is Jinx who seems to have more legs than necessary!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 05:08 PM

Ahh. (or awww). Sweet.

(:D Santana. Glad you laughed. I'm still laughing).

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 05:21 PM

Thanks santana.

Copago, gorgeous shot of Jinx.

Chavs - how do you keep your Crocosmia so immaculate - the birds always seem to peck away at mine.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 06:06 PM

It's not very immaculate except in close up but....my neighbours' cats keep birds away, I expect. No nice bird shots from me, you'll note! A couple of scraggy cat ones in my file though.
Posted by: deputygary

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 08:37 PM

Picture of a North American B-25 Mitchell bomber of WWII vintage at a local airshow. This is a great-looking plane.
Much appreciation to the men and women who keep these historic aircraft alive and flying.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 03 2012 09:07 PM

Wow, great plane and great shot, Gary!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 04 2012 01:14 AM

Gary, fabulous shot!

Jinx does look like he's got too many/too long legs, but very awwwww!

Here's the side entrance to one of the chapels in the basilica of Rocamadour:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 04 2012 01:35 AM

I got to Louisville a week after a very soggy Kentucky Derby, the Ohio River was still running high and while there I visited Churchill Downs and got out by the track. However, the batteries in the camera went flat and there were no AA batteries to be found inside the giftshop, I went to head back out to the car but there was a tremendous thunderstorm with the heaviest rain I had ever experienced so decided to stay inside....lol

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 04 2012 07:10 AM

Guess what usually travels in this vehicle!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 04 2012 08:20 AM

I'm guessing it's not the pigeon. So I'll say a dog. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 04 2012 10:05 AM

New flats in Alperton

Posted by: martin_cube

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 04 2012 05:40 PM

This didn't come out too well as I was in a rush to get the last bus home
but hopefully you can see that some wagster has added a giant yo-yo to
this statue:

I was quietly amused by it. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 04 2012 09:27 PM

hehe laugh

Getting closer to home again. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 05 2012 01:40 AM

After another lengthy bus trip (though the shortest so far at 21 hours) I found myself in New York. Then I had to find my way from the bus station to Grand Central Station and take a train into New Jersey where I was staying. I managed to get back into the Bronx Zoo one day and had a little look around a small part of New York on another day. This is the Empire State Building, just before I had a bit of a queue to get to the observation deck.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 05 2012 07:00 AM

A nice old fashioned galloper

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 05 2012 01:03 PM

This might just be a typical road in inner London but not everyone here would see it otherwise. Uxbridge Road, Shepherd's Bush

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 05 2012 06:50 PM

Very cool merry-go-round!!

Hope I haven't posted this one before! I think I might have .. if so then here it is again lol

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 04:53 AM

Here's the Chateau d'Auzèrs, in the Cantal region of France, inhabited and still lived in by the same family since the 15th Century:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 07:48 AM

That's beautiful. It's like one of those fairy tale castles

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 08:12 AM

Someone has obviously seen our latest weather forecast!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 09:48 AM

We had a hailstorm on Saturday with hailstones almost as big as golf balls.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 12:11 PM

I saw some pictures on the news of Bradford with 3 or 4 inches of hail on the ground - looked more like December than August.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 02:58 PM

This is part of a 30 plus year mission taking photos of straight roads. There are so few in Britain (unlike most other places) each is a small victory when I find a good one, more points if a main road which this isn't. Still in Shepherd's Bush.

Posted by: ClaraSue

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 08:22 PM

It's been a couple of years since I've been in the Photo-a-Day forum because I was so fed up with my slow internet connection that I gave it up. It took me awhile to even learn how to download a photo and post again. So here's my first post after 2 1/2 years.

This little fellow and his nest were apparently blown out of the tree so I placed his nest next to him in hopes of comfort.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 08:49 PM

Aw Clara Sue! Welcome back to the nest indeed! It's a sweet photo I do hope his mum turned up!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 09:01 PM

Now for a few views looking out over New York City from the Empire State Building though I am not sure what areas they are or exactly certain which direction we are looking. This first photo could be looking in a notheast direction.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 09:10 PM

Inspired by those of you who have posted some scans of your earliest colour photos, I thought I would see what I could find. I have some earlier colour pics, but they are all "people" photos, so have gone with this one. It is the whirlpool below Niagara Falls in 1964, taken during my Grade 7 class trip.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 09:27 PM

So, let's see, Liz, that would make you .... um? How old? hee hee

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 10:00 PM

You have all the info smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 10:39 PM

Much younger than I am anyway!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 06 2012 11:55 PM

Oh lovely to see your early photos, Liz! And ClaraSue welcome back to P-a-D!

Here's a shot of one of the squares in the village of Salers:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 07 2012 01:36 AM

It's a really lovely place. Everything appears to be built from the same type of stone, is it local?

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 07 2012 04:41 AM

Yes, Christina, all the houses in the village are made of the same black volcanic stone. It's not granite, but I haven't been able to find out what it is yet. In any case, it makes for some really charming villages to visit!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 07 2012 08:15 AM

Thanks for the welcome back. grin

Seeing your photo, Liz, reminds me that I have some old photos of Niagara Falls that I took back in 1971 with my little Brownie. I ought to try to find them.

While traveling through Utah last week, I took a wrong turn in the mountains and I'm glad I did. I saw this beautiful view and had to stop. It was like standing above the Grand Canyon and gave me the nervous shakes looking down.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 07 2012 12:06 PM

That is a wonderful picture.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 07 2012 02:03 PM

Wow, ClaraSue, that's incredible.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 07 2012 04:08 PM

That is the most incredible view.

Chain saw art at a local show

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 07 2012 05:02 PM

Welcome back Clara Sue!

If you thought Shepherd's Bush was exciting this is Hanwell. It's part of my project to fill the map in London and getting closer each time I go out.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 07 2012 07:19 PM

Part of the Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 07 2012 09:25 PM

Before I carry on with a few New York photos, here is a quick detour to Niagara and a 2010 version of the area Spanishliz was at in 1964.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 08 2012 02:56 AM

Loved seeing your trip across the States, Howie!
All the photos are great .. the chainsaw bears, the dramatic canyon, the 'villages and suburbs .. all great pics.

I'm afraid my other half got himself into a bit of trouble today and managed to do a fair bit of damage to his hand - didn't realise there was so much blood in a hand! Anyway, got him into town and they decided he needed x-rays so he got himself a free flight on the Flying Doctor and is now resting up in Broken Hill hospital. No op needed just lots of stitches frown poor [censored] will be out of action for a while but will survive.
here's the ambulance that took him out to the airstrip with the plane ready to take him.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 08 2012 05:09 AM

Love those bears, Christina, and ertrum that photo just makes me long to visit the Giant's Causeway! I've never had the opportunity to go there yet *sniff*

Ouch, Jill! Hope there's no serious damage done? I can imagine the blood ... When my DH ran his hand through the lawnmower to unblock the stuck grass, I had him envelop his hand in a huge teatowel while I drove him to the surgery. Had I seen the slightest drop of red while driving I would have passed out immediately. I'm really squeamish about seeing blood, though I can read the most gory passages without as much as blinking an eyelid...

Here's another picture taken during our recent break in the volcanic mountains of Auvergne, the fountain in the square of the village of Salers:

Not a very picturesque fountain, I hurry to add, but boy did we appreciate splashing the cool water on our hot faces and arms, it was a glorious day!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 08 2012 07:16 AM

Thanks Santana. That fountain just fits so perfectly with the surroundings.

Copago, hope your other half is better soon and there is no lasting damage.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 08 2012 07:22 AM

Oh That's awful, poor Jack, I hope it gets better soon. Thank goodness for the Flying Doctor eh? I must look out the pictures of my visit to their HQ a few years back.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 08 2012 07:37 AM

Copago, I hope your husband is better soon. Must have been scary, eh?
Christinap, those bears are great. I've always wanted one of those. My parents have a beautiful life-size, realistic looking bear that sits in their front yard. I'll have to see if I have a photo of it somewhere.

This is the Saguaro cactus that is across the road from my house.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 08 2012 09:10 AM

Looks like the birds like that saguaro. When it finally dies, it'll leave lots of nice boots...

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 08 2012 03:34 PM

A lovely old steam engine

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 08 2012 03:36 PM

ClaraSue, I love those big Black Forest carved bears you find sometimes. There was one in an auction a few years ago and I thought I would go to around £300 for it and it went for over £5,000, so I think I'll have to stay wanting one of those.
Posted by: sue943

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 08 2012 03:47 PM

Poor Jack. In days gone by didn't the planes land on the stations?

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 09 2012 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Howie72
Now for a few views looking out over New York City from the Empire State Building though I am not sure what areas they are or exactly certain which direction we are looking. This first photo could be looking in a notheast direction.

You were right, that would be roughly Northeast. The splendid building right of centre is the
Chrysler Building and just behind to the right is the 59th Street bridge (as in the Simon &
Garfunkel song) AKA the Queensboro bridge.

I'd heard that the queues for the Empire State building were often very long so when I was
there last year, I chose to go up to the top of the Rockefeller building instead. If we'd been
there at the same time, I could have waved to you. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 09 2012 09:27 AM

Christinap, I agree, those bears can cost a lot. That's why I don't have one, laugh

Martin, I've seen the Empire State Building from a distance many times; one of these days I'd love to be up close and personal.

This is the alligator named Charlie (left) and his "girlfriend". Charlie is a well known fixture at the Charleston, South Carolina Naval Weapons Station. He's estimated to be about 50 years old.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 09 2012 02:15 PM

Thank you Martin for the confirmation of the last view from the Empire Sate Building. This time it may be looking in a northwest direction towards the Hudson River and New Jersey,more confirmation is needed.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 09 2012 03:21 PM

Love those alligators.

Due to the bad weather we've had very few butterflies in the garden this year, but some sunshine did bring this one out

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 09 2012 05:28 PM

From what I (and Streetview) can see it's looking north with Central Park in the middle and the east side by the river overlooking Union City with George Washington Bridge crossing above.

One of my straight roads in Tyringham north of Milton Keynes

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 09 2012 05:31 PM

Satguru - out of interest, are the straight roads here usually based on old Roman Roads?

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 09 2012 07:49 PM

Yes and no- if you look on a large scale map the main roads going for miles are all Roman with no known exception, although when you use them they are not straight for long without some kinks unlike modern ones. The local residential roads are not, occasionally a developer bought enough land and built a small grid system particularly in the industrial revolution, but the shape of the plots normally meant fitting as many houses in as possible and then adding the roads to connect them, no regard was given to the shape at all. I don't know exactly how they worked out how to cram as many houses as possible into an area but equations do allow a general idea at least.

It is now against the law to build new through roads in housing developments without special permission, otherwise only one way in and out. I presume this is to save residents having extra cars using the roads but the downside means they can't go out in any other direction than provided and then have to cut back the other way.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 09 2012 09:40 PM

Here's another photo from my recent trip to Massachusetts. This is the view as you walk along the path from the Norman Rockwell Museum, near Stockbridge, to the present site of Rockwell's studio.

Posted by: tellywellies

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 10 2012 12:48 AM

I dusted the cobwebs off the camera for a recent family visit to the zoo. This brown bear was good enough to look at the camera:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 10 2012 01:51 AM

Looks like he's thinking - "I see food".

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 10 2012 10:01 AM

Looks like bear has done more than "see" food. He's a big one alright. LOL

This is an interesting looking bench located in the river walk area of Boise, Idaho.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 10 2012 11:41 AM

Haha very cool bench, ClaraSue, and that bear is a real cutie TW!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 10 2012 04:59 PM

This is made from solid granite - it's meant as a garden ornament but I think I'd have it indoors myself.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 10 2012 05:36 PM

The view by yesterday's road

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 10 2012 05:39 PM

Howie. Satguru is quite right about Central Park and the George Washington Bridge on your
photo. The other thing of note is the building on the right. That's the Rockefeller tower where
my photo was taken from.

In Bristol this weekend, we have our annual balloon festival where hot air balloonists from all
around the world gather to show off their craft. Sadly we won't have the usual visit from the
Red Arrows this year as they have a prior engagement (in Russia I believe). But tonight they had
some aircraft doing stunts while dropping fireworks. I took this photo from home, about 3 miles
from the festival site:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 11 2012 01:14 AM

Now we are looking south towards lower Manhattan.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 11 2012 08:36 AM

We stopped for lunch on our way to Llandudno on Thursday. This is right by the A5, the bridge is the A5 going over the Llangollen canal.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 11 2012 11:04 AM

That's so pretty Dot. Lovely photo

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 11 2012 12:28 PM

Thank you Christina, I got some lovely photos on Thursday and will no doubt bore you with them all over the next few weeks. laugh

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 11 2012 04:33 PM

Never boring Dot. I love seeing where other people have been. Due to health problems with my husband we don't travel much so I love seeing other people's pictures of various places.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 11 2012 04:44 PM

This beauty escaped from a local wildlife park about 10 days ago. Turned up in my garden this morning. I rang them as they've had an appeal out for anyone who spots him to let them know, but he'd gone again by the time they got here.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 11 2012 04:48 PM

Hubby and I spent a couple of weeks on the Eastern Shore in Virginia last month and I visited Chincoteague and Assateague Islands just about every day. For those of you that read Marguerite Henry's book "Misty of Chincoteague", you will know that this is every little girl's dream come true. This one month old foal is a descendant of the famous Misty.

Edited to add: Christinap, I love your peacock. Have you ever noticed that a peacock's call sounds a lot like they're saying "Rich-ard"?

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 11 2012 05:58 PM

I've never read the book, but that is the most gorgeous little foal.

I had noticed that about peacocks yes, I especially noticed it at 4am this morning!
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 11 2012 06:11 PM

Lots of people in this photo, breaking all the rules - but I don't think any of them are recognisable, lol. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to guess what they're doing. I'll give you a clue... it's London, it's 2012...

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 02:06 AM

Hockey? Looks fun!

Wow, this whole page is lovely, every photo.

Christina, I love your peacock.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 04:17 AM

A small friend (someone threw some food done for him to eat) while I was queueing at Battery Park to head out to visit the Statue of Liberty. Security to get out there was worse than at an airport and so much different to going to Alcatraz.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 08:34 AM

Wow, the pictures this month are exceptional! Really love that one of the olympic crowd and those of the animals are great too but I especially love the ones of different places as they are always interesting to me.

Here's the view out to sea from the Great Orme, Llandudno, North Wales.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 10:41 AM

Wow Dotb, that looks like it could be a picture on a monthly calendar. Beautiful.

This is the Mormon Temple that sits on the Snake River in Idaho Falls, Idaho.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 11:40 AM

Going home...

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 11:52 AM

Fabulous fabulous photos everyone. Love Dot's view, ClaraSue's temple is beautiful and the Olympic Stadium looks fantastic.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 01:41 PM

This is Woburn in Bedfordshire

got the county right second time

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 03:42 PM

Dahlia in full flower

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 06:16 PM

You didn't happen to be at the Olympics, did you flippy? smile

Recently went on vacation. While there we rented an old, creaky, leaky pontoon boat to cruise around a lake. We saw these big dark birds perched on a bare tree. At first we thought they were vultures considering A) the condition of the boat, B) the lack of experience of the boat's captain and C) the condition of the occupants of the boat. On closer examination the birds turned out to be herons.

And we made it back to the dock in one piece. But I thought it was a nice photo op anyway.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 12 2012 07:02 PM

Those birds look like cormorants to me, dippy, but maybe it's the angle. wink

I might have been to the Olympics, I might... and my feet still hurt, lol.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 02:44 AM

View of Llandudno bay from three quaters of the way down the Great Orme.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 07:42 AM

Everywhere looks gorgeous Dot, and you were obviously fortunate with the weather as well.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 07:52 AM

This is the lighthouse on Assateague Island, Virginia built in 1867. It stands 142 feet tall (43 m).

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 08:33 AM

Really enjoying the pics this month.

This may very well be a cormorant as flippy suggested. (I have long since learned not to doubt what she says. She has a very pointy stick).

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 09:52 AM

Looks to me like the Assateague Island lighthouse could use a new coat of paint - or two.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 10:10 AM

We went to see the women's hockey final, which was between the Netherlands and Argentina. About ten minutes before the end of the match, the bronze medallists were spotted walking through the crowd, which promptly leapt to its feet and began cheering. Can you guess which team that was? wink

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 02:21 PM

The bronze medal match brings back bad memories.....lol

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 02:26 PM

After the long queues (which I was able to avoid some of them as I had purchased a ticket for the hop on-hop off bus that included tickets for the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty) I got through security and boarded a boat to go and meet this lady.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Howie72
The bronze medal match brings back bad memories.....lol

Oops, yes, sorry... hey you beat the Hockeyroos! Oops, now Tizzabelle will kill me for saying that... whistle

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 03:39 PM

We were also so close to beating the Netherlands in the semi final too....

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:23 PM

Howie,what a fab photo! Someday I hope to be standing right where you were. laugh

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:27 PM

The best (Summer) bronze medal Canada has won in the past few years was in women's soccer this Olympics!! Ms. Sinclair is now a national "hero" : )

Fabulously colourful pics of scenes from the Olympics, Flopsy! How wonderful that you could attend and that you shared them with us (am hoping there are lots more as I suffer from Olympic withdrawal syndrome once they're over lol).

ClaraSue: aDORable pic of the foal (and yes I read the Misty books and probably every other horse related book as a teenager lol).

Dot: Loving all your photos! Looks like you had a wonderful trip! : )

deputyg: Your last post (of a flying bird) is most likely a raven, not a cormorant lol, but flopsy is QUITE correct (of course) that the ones in the dead tree are cormorants, not herons. Herons, like cranes and storks have typically long-ish legs and do not have webbed feet. I have a picture somewhere similar - reminded me of the movie "The Birds" LOL! So I can see how the scene might have creeped you out a bit : ) Not to mention, that aside from wood ducks, it's VERY weird to see web-footed birds perched in a tree!

Anyway, herons have feet quite like the ones walked on by the endangered Whooping Crane (tallest bird in North America):

photo taken in Alberta 2011

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 13 2012 08:26 PM

Another country scene, Stoke Goldington, which is in Buckinghamshire unlike Woburn (it's easy to cross a few counties in as many miles and equally hard to record them).

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 06:46 AM

This is a heron and no one is going to tell me it isn't.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 07:14 AM

Agreed, that is definitely a heron. Good photo.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 10:01 AM

Woo hoo! One for three in bird identification! smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 11:05 AM

Here's a colourful Olympic pic for Jakeroo. After the Paralympics, the temporary buildings in the Olympic Park, such as the hockey stadium and basketball arena, will be taken down and moved to other locations. What was the Athletes Village will be converted to family flats and more housing will be built - and more landscaping will be done. All of which will turn it into the largest urban park built in Europe for over 150 years. Many trees have been planted already and were well-established by the time the games started, and along the canal and river banks there are reed beds and wild flowers. By the time the Paralympics come along, the flowers in bloom last week will have faded and new flowers in different colours will bloom in their place - but for now, here are the summertime flowers in the park:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 03:07 PM

Oh flopsy, that is so lovely. I bet it was alive with bees and butterflies as well, what a wonderful job they've done on it.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 03:22 PM

This rather handsome fellow lives in our local park.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:04 PM

What a lovely duck! I'm sure the dippity will know what sort it is. wink

And yes, you're right, there were bees, butterflies and hoverflies all over the flowers. Maybe one of the locals will become a beekeeper - who would ever have thought East End honey might be possible one day. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:17 PM

That's a red-billed pintail, that is.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:36 PM

In Essex? I don't think red-billed teals aka pintails have areas of white like that and if they do I've never seen one here. Although foreign ducks often survive here quite happily. The world's largest population of wild mandarin ducks lives in Sussex of all places and very pretty they are too. Ruddy ducks on the other hand are a pest and should be shot.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:57 PM

lol Gary! Gotta give you an "E" for effort. It's a Shelduck (sort of a cross between a duck and goose according to the classification folks). And yes, Christina, he IS a handsome fellow : ) Very nice capture.

Flopsy: Wow! What a progressive idea. Some of our sports venues have remained as either training facilities (like the speed skating rink in Calgary) or things for public amusement (such as the bobsled run - do you dare? lol). But I can't think of many countries who pre-planned to do something like that park/housing concept. Does anyone know exactly which folks proposed the idea? Perhaps he/she/they should get a medal too : )

Okay, here's a picture I actually took in the month of August lol. It's a fuschia blossom (variety called "voodoo"). It's really a bit darker than this in real life (and certainly less blurry lol) but the camera tends to wash out blue and reds for some reason. Anyway, it's one of the few flowering things that survived all our hailstorms/winds since the plant was hanging in the lower branches of the apple tree...

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:33 PM

Well, ducks can go to the UK on vacation, too. Even Essex. :P

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:49 PM

Even Essex! cheek. Jakeroo, flopsy might know more, but as far as I know the whole park idea was planned in from the very start by the organising committee, it even featured in their bid for the Games as part of the legacy of the games. It's lovely to think that visitors to the stadium for future events, plus anyone who wants to go there just to look, will be able to walk through those wonderful gardens.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 06:13 PM

I went to university in Essex. It was new and various foreign governments had presented gifts, including a number of, to us, exotic ducks. One of the boys in the flat upstairs killed one by mistake so to hide the evidence he cooked and ate it. Boy, was he ill. He didn't take out its insides... the duck got its revenge!

Jakeroo, one reason why the games cost £9billion is that some of the money was for the regeneration of the area. Stratford is a very deprived part of London and the site the games park was built on was derelict and toxic - various factories had dumped their waste there, including heavy metals and all sorts of poisons. The place was criss-crossed with cables, pylons, tracks, blocked waterways, you name it, it rotted there. One problem with sites like that is that the surroundings also become depressed, the people have no hope, and so a vicious circle of neglect sets in. So when the bid was being prepared one condition for government support was legacy - not just for sport but for the area; it should not become like most other Olympic sites, which contribute nothing to the host area once the games are gone. As one Aussie journalist said, most games sites start as arenas which become wasteland, London's is unique in that it started as wasteland and hopes to become more than an arena. Whether that will work remains to be seen but it was certainly worth a shot. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 06:37 PM

I like to think the answer to this:

Does anyone know exactly which folks proposed the idea? Perhaps he/she/they should get a medal too : )

is Boris. I wouldn't be surprised. What a hero!
Thanks Flopsy, it is so good to hear that Britain is even more great.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 06:55 PM

Along the road to Woburn Sands

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 14 2012 07:03 PM

I like to think the answer to this:

Does anyone know exactly which folks proposed the idea? Perhaps he/she/they should get a medal too : )

is Boris. I wouldn't be surprised. What a hero!
Thanks Flopsy, it is so good to hear that Britain is even more great.

LOL, not Boris. Ken was mayor when the bid was prepared but my guess is that it was a much maligned bureaucrat or three who work in redevelopment/urban planning and stuck it into a report to make the whole idea of hosting the Olympics more acceptable to Tony Blair who was preoccupied at the time with the bromance of being a poodle and jumping on a war bandwagon we still can't seem to get off. Blair would see the political capital he could make out of regeneration whilst basking in the global acclaim of an Olympics. Of course, in the end neither Blair nor Livingstone were in office when the games actually happened but that's politics for you, lol.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 15 2012 06:53 AM

Great looking flower pic, Jakeroo.

Here is a Lockheed F-22 Raptor flying very low. Very low indeed.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 15 2012 07:20 AM

In this area of the park, even the flowers were decked out in red, white and blue. wink

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 15 2012 08:07 AM

That Raptor is flying very low, indeed! I am enjoying the photos on the Olympics and all greenery as well.

This little barrel cactus is in my front garden area. I bought the large spider, whom I have named Charlie, as a practical joke to scare hubby. Charlie is about 6 inches long.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 15 2012 02:51 PM

Just in case you are bored with the few New York photos i have been posting we shall take a brief detour back to my home town. I wander past the Timaru Lighthouse (on the track you can see) each time I walk into town and back. No longer in use and has not been in this position for that long, previously was by the Maori Park swimming pool in retirement but had to be moved again when the new swimming complex was built.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 15 2012 03:37 PM

It is an old Essex tradition to paint the outside walls of a house pale pink, and many people do still keep it up. This is Mole Hall, which is close to Stansted Airport, an old moated farmhouse.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 15 2012 04:00 PM

Here's a butterfly and a honey bee on my buddleia.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 15 2012 04:43 PM

That's pretty Dot. Have you noticed how few butterflies there have been this year, must be the wet weather to blame.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 15 2012 06:43 PM

I just realised last week I could take photos in the congestion charge in the summer as it was still light when it finished for the day. Otherwise it's weekends only. This is Shaftesbury Avenue by a rather famous spot.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 02:12 AM

Please tell me Charlie is plastic, ClaraSue???

Mole Hall is brilliant! Is the moat a river or something?

okay, so last week the other half hurt himself just as we were starting to do this job. He's okay but can't work for a few weeks which means that I have to pick up the slack to a certain extent. The job is digging all the sheep manure out from under the shed. It's more than a foot deep in parts and is as hard as rock ... and giess who gets to do it all by herself? yup. There wil be a couple blokes coming who will suck it all out with a machine but it has to be dug up. I'm about a third of the way through. It's a bloody big shed! LOL

Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 03:52 AM

Mate, it would be easier to jack the shed up a couple of feet. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 06:50 AM

I agree. Jack up the shed. Meanwhile, your hubby owes you one, Copago.

Here is a bee. I'd tell you what kind of flower it is but I know less about flowers than I do about water birds.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 06:53 AM

Lavender's blue, dippy dippy, lavender's green,
When I am king, dippy, dippy, you shall be queen.
Who told you so, dippy, dippy, who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dippy, dippy, that told me so.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 06:58 AM

OOOH lovely, my favourite. I can smell it from here.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 07:05 AM

Copago - the moat is a big circular deep ditch that goes all the way round the building - little bridges go across in various places and there are water birds living in it. There are still quite a few places round here with all or part of their original moat left. Most of them are undrground spring fed so they never seem to dry out at all.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 02:03 PM

Here's a view of the sea mist over the bay from the Great Orme.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 06:46 PM

Jill, Charlie is indeed plastic. If he were a real spider, I'd have to sell the house and move far far away. laugh

Sat, after being away for a few years, it's great to come back and see that you still post street photos. I get such a lesson from them, thank you.

I love the bee and flower. That is a fantastic photo.

Hubby bought himself a motorcycle a few months ago and I complained so he bought me one, too. I have named her Large Marge. I've been having a great time riding her around.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 07:40 PM

Great to see you back Clara Sue, the odd thing is once you've seen a familiar name again a couple of times it seems like they'd never gone. My latest project now means I get credit for every new place I go to as it turns the map red, so rather than go for the scenery and places I like which I'd pretty well completed already after a while I have very few limits now besides how far I can get before I get worn out.

This is Shaftesbury Avenue again just before Piccadilly Circus.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 16 2012 08:05 PM

Approaching the Giant's Causeway:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 17 2012 01:37 AM

ClaraSue, Large Marge is fabulous - I'm jealous.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 17 2012 03:05 PM

In West Virginia a few weeks ago, this hungry gal came within 10 yards of me.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 17 2012 03:26 PM

The Olympic Stadium, home to the wall of sound!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 17 2012 03:47 PM

This little darling is in the equestrian centre near us and always comes to the fence when I walk Susie in case I just happen to have a titbit or two secreted somewhere about my person - I usually do.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 17 2012 07:06 PM

Wimpole Street at the junction with Wigmore Street, the only east-west route through central London in the West End besides the Embankment along the river. Buses and taxis can also use Oxford Street but that doesn't count for me.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 18 2012 03:33 PM

One of my favourite views (the best is from the flyover but you can't take pictures there), the offices in the centre of Croydon

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 18 2012 03:44 PM

This is the Olympic Velodrome - the cycling track. This building is regarded as one of the iconic buildings of the London Games and it is one of the few that will remain in its current form after the Paralympics are over. As is the British way, this much admired building has been given a pet name - it's called the Pringle. grin

In order to disguise them, I have given the poor people facing the camera a nose job using a Photoshop 'liquifying' tool - if they could see what I've done to their noses they'd get plastic surgery. wink

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 18 2012 04:18 PM

Happy pigs on a hot day

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 18 2012 05:03 PM

During the month of July, a storm knocked out power to millions of homes and businesses from Ohio to Virginia. Some were without power for a week or more. We were in West Virginia when the storm hit and I swear we were being chased by a tornado. Here's one mobile home that had a tree fall through it. I hope no one was hurt.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 18 2012 05:30 PM

Those storms made our news. Very scary indeed. Don't they give out good advance warnings of these tornados though so people can get to a shelter.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 18 2012 06:13 PM

Sometimes there are advance warnings of the storms, however, we were driving at the time and the weather was beautiful the direction we were heading so I didn't hear of any warnings. When I looked behind us, it was dark and scary looking. All of a sudden we were dodging trees, branches and limbs as they came crashing down in the road. I don't think I have ever been so scared.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 18 2012 06:51 PM

Just 3 or 4 photos from the Bronx Zoo to finish New York, first up are some characters that need no introduction.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 12:06 AM

Fabulous photos! Lots of them!

here is the dog and her boy digging tunnels (and only crawling through them when I was around)

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 03:47 AM

Oh Gosh! That such a fun shot! (and what huge feet!)

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 06:14 AM

Haha! Great photo, Jill!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 07:09 AM

The only place to be on a day where the temperature hits 32C

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 10:27 AM

It is +17.9 °C outside at the moment here, we have had fog and mist all day.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 01:26 PM

These curious little guys belong to my husband's uncle who lives in Idaho Falls, Id.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 05:09 PM

It's all in the detail... nothing at the Olympics was left to chance, from the GB cycling team's 'magic wheels' to the extra long beds for basketball players. The telecommunications requirements for the world's largest media event were enormous and as you can see from the photo, even the moles had phones. wink

Posted by: dg_dave

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 05:11 PM

As I rolled into the driveway this evening, this number came up on my odometer.

edit to add: this is a cooler day for August too!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 05:20 PM

That's brilliant flopsy, love that one.
Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 05:52 PM

Some fantastic photos here everyone - especially love yours Jill! That's some serious tunneling :-)

Here's a photo taken on the Goulburn Weir in central Victoria. It's around midday. The gloom is created by bushfire haze (smoke), although the fire was over 100 km away at the time. I was hoping for a reddish coloured sun to make an appearance for extra effect, but it didn't.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 07:21 PM

Is this recent, Mike? Hope all is okay.
Love the goats - I reckon they are the best pets .. apart from jumping that is. smile

Here is another tunnel shot.
AM off on a school camp for a few days today so will catch up with you all later in the week.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 07:24 PM

I loved digging holes as a child and would still get busy in one if it was that size now.

In case anyone wondered what Thornton Heath looked like they probably don't need to go there now.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 19 2012 09:36 PM

No, Jill. Fortunately this fire occurred a few years ago. I was searching through some old photo folders yesterday and found this one. It immediately brought to mind the surreal, almost eerie sensation of being out on the water that day. Despite the distance to the actual fire, you could smell and even taste the burning eucalyptus. The trunks and stumps in the water are from trees that died over 100 years ago when the weir was put in on the Goulburn River (mainly for irrigation).

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 20 2012 01:01 PM

Great pictures everyone! Dave, that IS a cool day in Dallas and neat photo!

Nowadays, it seems you can't go anywhere without seeing fields of wind turbines.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 20 2012 03:31 PM

Despite the bad weather earlier in the year the garden has recovered and isn't looking too bad.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 20 2012 03:33 PM

'How long do I have to stay here before I get my fish?'

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 20 2012 03:35 PM

Love the tunnelling pictures, what more do a boy and a dog need to keep them happy. Mike, that is such a atmospheric photo, can almost smell the smoke just by looking at it.

Those wind farms are popping up everywhere here as well, trouble is they have to turn them off it it gets too windy! Still can't quite work that one out.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 20 2012 03:35 PM

This rural scene is still in London as a bit sticks out to the south just beyond Chessington Zoo.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 20 2012 03:46 PM

Howie's pic reminded me of a sign I saw in the Olympic Park - how many teams wished that Michael Phelps had read this!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 20 2012 03:54 PM

Could be worse, Flopsy.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 20 2012 04:30 PM

LOL! Back door to the monastery? wink

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 20 2012 11:44 PM

Hahaha Chavs, love it!

Love that wind turbine too, I think they look great and that photo is taken at a great angle!

Hard to believe that's LONDON in your photo, Sat!

Your garden is looking wonderful, Christinap!

Love the boy shots, copago grin

I went boating on Lake (will insert name later when I remember it) Lake Pavin, a totally emerald coloured lake in the crater of a dormant volcano, (altitude 1,197 metres) in the Puy-de-Dôme département of France. The lake is 700 to 800 metres in diameter, and is 92 metres deep at its deepest. Once we got away from the tourist sector it was actually really peaceful and totally gorgeous:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 01:20 AM

Beautiful lake. I want to be there, Santana.

Here..red sky at night...

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
LOL! Back door to the monastery? wink
grin

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 04:43 AM

Oh WOW! Fabulos piccie, Chavs!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 07:26 AM

Oh, thanks. blush

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 07:31 AM

Totally fabulous photo Chavs and Santana, I want to be in that lake, looks so lovely and cool.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 10:11 AM

Probably the worse photo since this started but I took it at an angle through a window pane which really needs to be replaced as it is foggy.

The men came this morning to install new insulation in my loft, new low energy lights and a couple of new smoke alarms - all for free. smile Soon it will be a new boiler and other things to do with heating. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 04:42 PM

This is a long view of the garden from the top towards the house. I keep the beds mainly to one side to allow fairly unrestricted access with the ride on mower, alternative is a 45 minute walk every time I cut the grass. I have to use the push mower when it is long and wet though as the ride on won't take it, and that has been most of the time this year. Still, exercise is good for you, or so my husband keeps telling me!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 04:44 PM

Sue, will the boiler and heating stuff be free as well?

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 06:59 PM

Oh I think so Christina, they are very good to elderly people in Jersey!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 10:25 PM

London is over 20 miles in each direction and there are a couple of miles around most of it which are still at least partly farmland, but would still be 10-12 miles from the centre as before 1965 they would have been considered in the home counties before London doubled in size.

This is one of my favourites so far, a view across The Cotswolds from Bourton on the Hill looking east.

The current camera which is nearly 7 years old is fine under reasonable conditions, this is about the best it can do overall using all its tricks, but has been crashing more and more recently so will see the results soon when the new one arrives. I don't take many moving targets or dusk shots deliberately but those were beyond this compact, hopefully something a bit more elaborate will allow far worse conditions and still get something usable as well.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 21 2012 11:45 PM

What a great garden, Christinap!

Sat, that is just such a pretty view!

Sue, that really is looking after you well!

Here's a (poor) shot of some of the collection of over 4,000 model cars to be seen in the round tower of the Chateau de la Vigne:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 22 2012 12:51 AM

Another Bronx Zoo photo, this time a white-naped crane strolling through the water.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 22 2012 02:20 AM

Satguru, that is beautiful. I love the Cotswolds and that is just a great view.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 22 2012 08:46 AM

Thanks everyone, it was just waiting for photographers. Glad to see I'm not the only one with cabinets of model cars, except my house isn't an official museum. Here's one from a different angle.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 22 2012 12:08 PM

I thought of you straight away when we visited that castle, satguru! I have a few other photos of the car collection, though they are not very good quality. The light was poor, the cars were behind glass and I needed to use my flash. I'll get around to posting them over the next few weeks for you. There were some very cool vehicles!

Love your latest photo of the Cotswolds, it just looks so "picture-postcard perfect"!

Your crane looks ever so graceful, Howie!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 22 2012 01:04 PM

Just for you, Sat, the display case containing miniatures of a variety of Royal vehicules:

It was very cute, the figurine of the queen was constantly waving her hand grin

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 22 2012 03:31 PM

Elderberries - anyone into wine making

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 22 2012 08:48 PM

I thought I might start sharing a few of my favourite views of 'my' city, Melbourne. Here's one I took this morning. It shows the city in the distance as you look down the Yarra River. Background left has a tower with a yellow flag flying - this indicates the (state) governor in his residence - Government House backs on to the Royal Botanic Gardens. The Yarra is brownish as it has rained a lot recently and our very fine-grained soils are easily washed into the river and remain suspended rather than sinking. (There's a joke that the Yarra is a river that flows upside down! All the sediment is at the top rather than the bottom)

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 04:49 AM

So that is an elderberry!!! I know them from their french name of Sureau, and of course have often read of elderberries, heard of wine or jam or jelly made from, just hadn't made the connection. Thanks, Christinap!

MM, one day I'll have to check out that view in person! It looks so clear and peaceful.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 06:54 AM

You're welcome Santana.

I know this is probably going to have the Australians amongst you yelling at me, but I am always surpised at how green and how much water your major cities seem to have. Any time I see photos (and I'm looking forward to more of Melbourne MM) it strikes me how nice the cities look, clean, well laid out, lots of greenery, trees, rivers etc. I'd love to visit but probably won't now.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 06:56 AM

Here's the whole elderberry shrub just dripping with berries. The birds love them, but you don't want to park your car anywhere near when the birds have been eating a lot of the berries.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 08:41 AM

I love elderflower champagne... and yes, I know we're supposed to call it pressé these days but the sparkle just isn't the same. wink

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 09:36 AM

So many great photos in the few days I've been away. Sat, your last two pics are great with beautiful views. And I love the red sky at night, Chavs.

Hubby and I went to tour the cemetery in Savannah, Georgia that was made famous in the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt. Bonaventure Cemetery (est. 1846) is a beautiful tour. This is Gracie, a lifesize statue of a little girl born in 1883 and died at 6 years of age. Eventually the cemetery had to put a fence around her because visitors would rub her nose and it started to wear away.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 10:14 AM

Oh what a beautiful monument to Gracie, Clara Sue!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 01:38 PM

Those are my sort of cars Toni, and the Rolls is one I haven't got in my collection (probably as I haven't seen one on my travels or I would have), but do have a Russian one very much like the one next to it. I've stopped the list now though as once they finally made a model Tatra the official requirements were complete. I have many imports including a Ford which was only officially ever sold in France for some odd reason.

I just noticed your garden Christina, if the bungalow had Crittall windows originally it's probably almost the same as mine.

This was a little garden area on the edge of a field near Chipping Norton I liked the look of. I'm still waiting for the new camera to arrive so will be interesting to see if there's any difference from the old one.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 03:38 PM

We're a bit older than that Satguru, our deeds go back to 1896. My husband's grandfather bought the land from a local farmer and had the pair of bungalows built, one for himself, rented out the one next door (some very interesting neighbours over the years, but not for this thread). It got pebbledashed sometime in the 50s unfortunately but would cost to much to get it off and replaster, doesn't look too bad painted though. It's always been in the family since it was built, never been sold at all.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 04:23 PM

How about some "pope-mobiles" now?

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 04:50 PM

Just out of curiosity .. why would people rub the statue's nose? confused

Great photos everyone.

So we're back from the school camp ... so tired!
At the station where we went to they have crops as well as stock, they're the only ones on school with crops.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 05:06 PM

Jill, people rub the noses of the HSBC lions outside the HK Bank here That's for good luck. Maybe they rub Gracie's nose for good health.
Fantastic pictures all I am loving this thread!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 05:15 PM

I believe that was why people rubbed poor Gracie's nose, Sara.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 05:23 PM

People rub Winson Churchill's statue in Westminter for luck. Usually his shoe which has a shiny tip while the rest of it is bronze.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 05:43 PM

There's a Henry Moore sculpture of the Madonna and Child in one of the churches here - she has a shiny foot and the baby has a polished head. I suppose some people touch them for religious reasons but I'm not at all religious and I still had to stroke them, the sculpture is so good it draws you in to touch it.

The Graham Sutherland painting on the opposite wall is also wonderful but I don't think people stroke that, lol.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 23 2012 08:08 PM

As usual, I am enjoying the variety of pictures posted here. It's almost like traveling the world without leaving the comfort of one's home.

I found this is a nearby city park. I'm going to say it is from a black walnut tree but no doubt I'm wrong and flippy will be quick to point that fact out. Nevertheless..

It appears to be 2 walnuts growing together. It puts me in mind of something else but I can't quite put my finger on what that is right now.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 12:15 AM

Maybe that's a good two week theme: "It reminds me of something". Hmmmm,

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 02:47 AM

Does not look the best of water to drink but that was not stopping this nyala and at least there are no crocodiles in it.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Christinap
Sue, will the boiler and heating stuff be free as well?

Yes

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 07:07 AM

That's brilliant, they really do look after you in Jersey don't they.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 08:24 AM

Yes they are very good to the elderly and decrepit I guess.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 08:36 AM

Jill that is a great photo. It would look fantastic, too, as a black and white.

Was out for a walk in West Virginia and came across this rail. I would have loved to have been able to get a shot of a train coming around the corner.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 01:25 PM

Yes they are very good to the elderly and decrepit I guess.

So is that why you want to come again next year?
Posted by: tellywellies

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 02:04 PM

Taken recently at Whipsnade Zoo (Bedfordshire)

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 04:20 PM

Our electricity transformers are better designed than many houses, this is on the edge of Hampstead Heath.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 24 2012 04:54 PM

Mole Hall has a resident deer herd, and this guy is definitely the boss.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 02:22 AM

He does look impressive, Christina! and I love your giraffe TW!

Your railway shot reminded me of this photo, ClaraSue. We pedalled along out-of-service train lines from Mauriac to Drugeac recently using the vélorail on mechanical, pedal-powered vehicles called draisines, hard work but great fun, and some splendid views to be had.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 08:04 AM

Copago, I love that grass picture, very sculptural.

Howie, wow, your drinking deer photo is sublime.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 12:23 PM

I can see why that rail photo looked familiar, Santana. There is no way I could ever pedal on one of those - I have a heck of enough time pedaling my bicycle these days. I bet that was fun, though.

A sunset photo taken from my driveway this past March. One of the reasons I just love living in the desert southwest is because we get some of the most dramatic sunsets I've ever seen. One day I will own a camera that will do them justice.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 03:09 PM

One of these turtles is not the same, one of these turtles is the joker. Which one is it out of these sunbathing turtles?

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 04:30 PM

Is it the second one up, the shell looks a bit different to the others

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 04:41 PM

It reminded me of this one

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 04:44 PM

The one on top looks like a tortoise - is it my Tommy who ran off when I was ten?

Well, I say ran...

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
The one on top looks like a tortoise - is it my Tommy who ran off when I was ten?

Well, I say ran...

Wel, it's probably taken him all this time to get to NZ

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 05:46 PM

At the time of photographing he had made it to the Bronx Zoo in New York but that was back in 2010....lol

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 06:13 PM

Someone was cheering poor Tommy on at the Olympics:

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 07:24 PM

The Park Lane Hilton from the back of Mayfair

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 09:27 PM

Today I was at the local Market Square, because the Stanley Cup had come to town. I didn't get that close to the Cup (which I have seen before, anyway) and most of my pics had all kinds of people in them. Most of the city seemed to have turned up - which was good news for the market traders, like my friend Antonina, who sells all sorts of things with a Russian flavour - including these dolls.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sat Aug 25 2012 11:46 PM

They're lovely, nice and bright!

Beautiful sunset, ClaraSue, stunning.

Mini-school! On the left is the tents for the primary kids - they get 12 swags in each. But surely it's asking for trouble to have the girl's and boy's tents so close together? lol It's not as though there isn't enough room to spread them out a bit ..

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 26 2012 07:23 AM

The apples havn't done well this year, too wet when pollination should have happened, but we have quite a decent plum crop.

Love that sunset ClaraSue, we rarely get really good ones here.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 26 2012 01:58 PM

This was a church in Lancaster Gate till the 70s when it had to be demolished and they kept the spire and built a block of flats around it.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 26 2012 02:20 PM

Earlier this summer I saw this coyote walk right up to where we were parked at Ft. Irwin, California and crawl under a truck next to us. He didn't come out so I sneaked out and found him sound asleep under it in the shade.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 26 2012 03:41 PM

How lovely, and what a great moment to be able to grab a photo of.
Posted by: Gees63

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 26 2012 05:43 PM

Seen on the way to the supermarket Sunday afternoon

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Sun Aug 26 2012 05:45 PM

awww - great shot. Are the coyotes normally as tame as that?
Lovely deer shot too!

Remember all the sheep sh .. err manure I dug (and dug and dug)? .. well, this is my reward laugh

'Twas Mulga Bill from Eagle Hawk that caught the cycling craze!!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 06:36 AM

Nice bike but I think that I would rather have a motor on mine. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 10:30 AM

Some critters have no shame... These were eating our roses in broad daylight.

But they were young, so I guess I've got to make allowances.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 01:54 PM

Maybe I took the thread title too literally.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 03:17 PM

No market today (Saturday at the time) probably as they were preparing for the Notting Hill carnival the following day, the beginning of Portobello Road

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 04:13 PM

Jill, the coyotes hardly show any fear of humans at all because people will feed them when they're not supposed to; unfortunately they end up sometimes "feeding" on their cats and small dogs, too. Great bike, by the way!

A neat spider web really showed up on the grass when the early morning dew hit it. Unfortunately, when I tried to zoom in, it blurred and you couldn't tell what it was. And I'm not getting any closer to a spider if I can help it. grin

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 04:35 PM

There were reports yesterday of a lion on the loose in Essex. After sending out two helicopters and 30 armed officers it was decided that what the tourists had seen was in fact a large domestic cat! Just in case they happen to be looking in - this is a lion

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 04:48 PM

LOL, Christinap, when I saw your photo, I thought for sure you were going to say he was right outside your door!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 05:27 PM

Oh dear, imagine if he had been! I think I'd have been too busy trying to find somewhere to hide to take a photo of him.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 05:53 PM

My mother grew up near there; her father was the local farrier-come-smallholder-come-oyster-poacher... I bet he'd have loved to add lion-tamer to his repertoire. wink
Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Mon Aug 27 2012 10:52 PM

Great shot of the lion, Christina.

I haven't been able to post for the last few months as we were busy getting our house renovated and things were just too messy but I've enjoyed going through the threads.

We're in the middle of the monsoons so here are some wild flowers.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 02:13 AM

I shall make this the last of the Bronx Zoo photos and i think you should all know who this is.

Posted by: SOTHC

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 04:22 AM

Toilet training for Fred isn't going according to plan. Maybe we should have taught him to lift the lid first.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 07:38 AM

I know someone who had a cat which used the normal toilet which was very useful as they lived in a flat. smile He was already doing that before they got him.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 10:28 AM

I found a little pond in Delaware last month that had a bunch of water lilies. I may bore you with all the pictures I took of them.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 02:52 PM

Most houses from Lancaster Gate here to Kensington are pretty much like these

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 03:20 PM

I had a little help making the bed this morning

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 06:22 PM

Yeah, looks like Suzy was LOTS of "help"

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 07:23 PM

She likes to have her input into the daily chores!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 08:28 PM

That kind of help is always so much fun! smile

Even though it was my birthday, Precious was miffed to discover that the gift bags did not contain anything for her!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 10:07 PM

Happy Birthday Liz!
I have never seen a cat with such an expressive face. She looks like that is exactly what she is thinking!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Tue Aug 28 2012 11:12 PM

Thanks ren! She let me have it for being out part of the day too!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 05:16 AM

This is in Arnold, Nottingham. I thought the camera was broken because the colour was wrong but then I found it was half on video and half on 'normal' picture.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 07:20 AM

Chavs, I think you did take the title too literally. Like the way you think, though.

This sign seems a little unnecessary. I mean, who doesn't know to beware of poisonous snakes? It could just as easily have said "beware of running with scissors" or "beware of live electricity."

Perhaps, though, it is referring to possible rattlesnakes on the trail to the Missouri River in central South Dakota where I took the picture.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 09:13 AM

Speaking of warning signs:

This was off the path at the Corlea Trackway.
They also have life buoys posted around the pools.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 10:58 AM

Beautiful kitty, Liz. Glad you had a wonderful birthday.

Speaking of warning signs, I have one somewhere that says "road ends" and sure enough, there's a lake at the end of the road.

Dragster at the race track in Phoenix, AZ.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 04:07 PM

One of the tropical aquariums at Colchester Zoo

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 04:08 PM

Hope you had a good birthday Liz and Precious has forgiven you now.

I'm loving the warning signs - sometimes they do come under the heading of stating the obvious.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 04:28 PM

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 05:28 PM

Love that, Chavs!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 05:38 PM

Thanks, ClaraSue.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Wed Aug 29 2012 07:33 PM

The Barbican Towers

Posted by: Daaanieeel

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 02:58 AM

I've been keeping an eye on these photos since the beginning of the year, thought I'd share one. Took this one a couple of months ago in Bali, Indonesia. Australia's favourite holiday destination. smile I was standing on a cliff by the beach, lovely view.

Hope I didn't do anything wrong!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 03:55 AM

Glad you decided to share - great pic! Welcome to the fold.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 04:56 AM

After New York City it was an 8 hour bus trip to Buffalo where a Canadian friend picked me up and took me across the border to Canada, a brief stop at Niagara to see the water dripping over the falls before heading to Hamilton where I was staying for 2 nights. Here are the aforementioned falls.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 05:05 AM

Daaanieeel welcome too. That is a gorgeous picture, as is yours too Howie. Wow this month will take some beating.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 05:13 AM

Cheating a bit. I notice that lots of you have posted in all the photo forums with wonderful results. Thanks to you all for such a great show!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 07:38 AM

Bali...sounds like a nice place to be. Great pic. Nice picture of the falls, too, Howie.

Here is a railroad bridge over the Missouri River at what is now Chamberlain SD. The Lewis and Clark Expedition landed very near here on their trip up the Missouri River.

Little known fact: Sacajawea was ill during this portion of the trip so a young English girl named Flopsymopsy was recruited to lead them for a time. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 09:06 AM

Beautiful.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 09:07 AM

Daaanieeel that is stunning. Let us see more of your lovely photos.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 12:03 PM

That looks suspiciously like a view of Ireland's Eye from Howth, Chavs?

Daniel, that photo is amazing!!!

Howie: WOW!!!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 02:38 PM

Welcome Daaanieeel. I did the New York-Buffalo and to Niagara trip over 30 years ago, but flew the first bit with just the bus to Niagara and my extra stamp on the passport for the afternoon trip to see the falls from the better side.

I just bought a monopod for the new camera as it has a massive zoom and can't use it without something to stop it moving. This is the old bus stop where I used to get the 102 home until 1976 when I got a moped and the bus route extended so didn't turn here any more. The H2 only took over recently after many years as a staff car park, and the direction has been reversed although the route goes the same way as the 102 did.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 04:23 PM

Daniel, beautiful photo of Bali - more please.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 04:33 PM

Tonight's moon.

This one's for Neil Armstrong.

The Eagle Has Landed.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 04:36 PM

You're right, it does! Weird thing is, it's the view from Dun Laoghaire... of Howth. smilee

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 04:37 PM

Handmade wicker garden items - I'm thinking of getting one of the wigwams

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 04:38 PM

How gorgeous that moon is!
I agree about Bali. More more!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 05:10 PM

Love the photos, especially the moon shot.

Really DG, I think Flopsymopsy did a great job with Lewis and Clark. laugh

I posted awhile back on our spectacular Arizona desert sunsets. Here's the sunrise Monday morning. I still can't figure out why I get up so early when I don't have to.
(photo taken with my cell phone)

Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 07:28 PM

Wow! That's worth getting up for, ClaraSue.

Chavs, your photo makes me want to leave everything and go away on vacation right now. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Thu Aug 30 2012 10:28 PM

Gorgeous photos! Welcome to our new poster, lovely pic!

The local fair (exhibition, to give it its proper name) opened tonight. I spent an hour or so wandering about.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 12:14 AM

The family shot! Cygnet and his/her parents on the azolla-covered Ornamental Lake in the Royal Botanical Gardens, Melbourne on Wednesday. Trying to get all three with heads up at the same time just proved too difficult :-)

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Chavs

You're right, it does! Weird thing is, it's the view from Dun Laoghaire... of Howth. smilee

Hah! now I know why I had some niggling doubts about my interpretation. It was the grass which threw me, as there isn't any grass in Howth at the spot where you can see Ireland's Eye like that!

Great photos, everyone, love the moon with the shadows in front, and the glorious sunrise!

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 02:16 AM

ClaraSue, if I could see a sunrise like that I'd get up early as well.

Love the moon shot Chavs

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 02:25 AM

Getting slightly damp below Niagara Falls...

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 04:27 AM

Thanks everyone. smile Nice photo of the moon, Niagara, sunrise and swan family as well. smile

While in Bali we visited a village which, unlike most of the island, has been practically untouched by tourism. We went with a group whose tours fund their charity work there. We went canoeing on a crater lake and from the lake I managed to take this one of the volcanoes surrounding the village. It was pretty hard to take as it was quite foggy and cloudy and the canoe was rocking a bit.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 04:33 AM

It almost looks like the volcano is smoking. Or is it? Exploding volcanoes would almost be enough to put me off wanting to go to Bali.

Almost. smile

While staying in the Black Hills of South Dakota I looked out one morning to see three deer grazing in the front yard. This fawn got particularly close to the cabin.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 04:36 AM

I'm fairly sure that was fog, not steam. smile That's one cute fawn, by the way. smile

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 04:46 PM

I love heavy horses and often go to shows. This is a Suffolk Punch foal. The Suffolk Punch almost died out a few years ago, it was down to about six horses left, but with a lot of dedication from a few people numbers are creeping back up and there around now around 200, but every foal is precious.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 05:39 PM

Oh the little love! It is so great to see them coming back up in numbers.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 06:03 PM

It is good Ren. Most shows now have three Suffolk Punch classes and there are often 10 or 12 horses in a class where 10 years ago it was 2 or 3 and there are always two or three foals at each show now as well.

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 06:22 PM

Ah, The Maid of the Mist...I've been on that boat, Howie, or one of the others there. As wet as I got, I didn't care, it was a great ride. Nice photo of it.

I'm so enjoying and have enjoyed all the month of August photos.

Today, I left the house at about 6:30 a.m. and came home around 3 p.m. to find this fellow on my back patio. I don't know if he/she came in last night or today. The shell itself measures 9 inches long by 7 inches wide. Gave me quite a start when I went out back. (photo taken with cell, not the best quality)

Re: Welcome to the August Photo Thread! - Fri Aug 31 2012 08:22 PM

Thanks all for a wonderful month of sensational photos. I will leave this open a few hours for the late coming folk. In the meantime Welcome to September!