Hello October!

Posted by: ren33

Hello October! - Sun Sep 30 2012 10:43 PM

Here is the new thread for the new month of October. Welcome all!
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: Hello October! - Sun Sep 30 2012 10:56 PM

I'll kick off this month with a photo of a 4-yard long blueberry tart, made for the village festival in St Nicolas des Biefs[i] in the region of the Massif Central[/i], France. (I didn't manage to photograph the 120 kilos of potatoes I helped to peel for the same festival):

The heads of the two people facing towards the lens have been altered to be certain they were unrecognisable. I hope this is acceptable?
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 01 2012 01:04 AM

Blueberry tart - yum!

I have worked in a restaurant peeling potatoes so I don't envy you that job!

I took this photo outside a country pub recently. The sign struck me as particularly funny since it was a pub. I know, I'm warped.
Posted by: Howie72

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 01 2012 04:06 AM

Looks like I am starting October with a.....you guessed it....statue. Let me introduce King Charles I at Trafalgar Square.

Posted by: Chavs

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 01 2012 04:39 AM

MotherGoose, that made me guffaw!
Posted by: sue943

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 01 2012 07:34 AM

Love it MG.

Here is another photo from Durrell yesterday.

Posted by: ClaraSue

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 01 2012 09:21 AM

Blueberry tart sounds wonderful. I've never had one, but I'd sure like to try. Blueberry pie is my favorite so it can't be too different, right?

MG, I must be warped, too. That's hilarious!

I kept waiting for the train, but it didn't show up until after I left the tracks. This is outside of Lexington, Kentucky.

Posted by: satguru

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 01 2012 01:36 PM

A field in Pratt's Bottom, nothing I can do about the name

Posted by: Christinap

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 01 2012 04:25 PM

The smaller engine here is an exact replica of the large one, same name, same registration plate, everything.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 01 2012 04:26 PM

Mother Goose, that is so funny. Satguru, know the Runwell Road all too well, used to drive it most days when I was working. We're a couple of miles from Battlesbridge at Rawreth.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 12:54 AM

Still at the zoo, this time in the reptile house.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 03:45 AM

The summer cottage.....

Posted by: Daaanieeel

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 06:18 AM

Great start to the month everyone. smile Love the lizard and meerkats and I'd like a slice of that tart! That looks like a nice place to stay, Howie. That pub sign made menlaugh as well. Congrats on the honour Satguru (from the previous month)!

Another bird for you, here's a wattlebird (a red wattlebird, to be exact). They are native to Australia and are quite common. This one flew away just as I took the shot.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 06:50 AM

Howie, how nice to know you have somewhere pleasant to stay when in London.
Dan , it may be a common bird but it looks classy to me.
Great start everyone.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 07:11 AM

Howie, you could have invited us all round for tea on the lawn!

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 08:43 AM

Howie, you have just too many cars visiting your summer cottage. laugh

Great photos for the first of October everyone!

Sat, your field at Pratt's Bottom looks just like this field in Lexington, Kentucky.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 01:12 PM

They are the people invited for tea on the lawn, did all of your invitations get lost in the mail?

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 04:06 PM

We went to a custom car show a little while ago - some people do some very odd things to their cars

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 04:18 PM

There are so many views I see on Flickr which look similar to others here, but the trick is catching them like you did there. This is a private road in Kemsing with the North Downs behind.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 05:04 PM

We recently attended a medieval festival at Balingup (small country town about 250 km or 3 hour's drive south of where we live). It was great fun! Here is the aftermath of one of the re-enacted battles.
Posted by: ertrum

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 09:08 PM

"It's just a flesh wound!"
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 02 2012 10:20 PM

I'm loving all of the photos, in every thread! Here's a bit of autumn colour as my contribution.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 03 2012 11:34 AM

A pretty blue frog from Sunday

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 03 2012 12:59 PM

Isn't he/she gorgeous! Amazing colour.

I'm enjoying that quite a few October photos would fit in the themed thread this month too! http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/826363/This_month_s_Theme_is_Blue#Post826363

Nice photo, Spanishliz; I passed a sumach tree today and it had just turned, the autumn colour is just so pretty, and I said "I knew I should have brought the camera..." Luckily you snapped it for me.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 03 2012 02:23 PM

Wow, now that's a blue frog!

The view from Aunt and Uncle's front yard in Idaho Falls, Idaho.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 03 2012 04:39 PM

Love the frog Sue, and ClaraSue, I could live with a view like that - gorgeous.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 03 2012 04:42 PM

A lot of our trees aren't really turning yet, but this one I pass on my walks with Susie.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 03 2012 05:05 PM

As I mentioned last month, they did not put up the right flags for my walk down The Mall..... smile

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 03 2012 05:11 PM

The gardens are still looking good in October

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 03 2012 05:21 PM

Love the blue frog!

"It's just a flesh wound!" laugh

While at the medieval festival, we watched a demonstration of how chain mail is made. The patterns were fascinating. Here's one designed to prevent flesh wounds.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 04 2012 12:33 AM

Lovely MG Patterns fascinate me. We might have another patterns theme next month.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 04 2012 05:42 AM

Some nice looking clouds here.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 04 2012 04:42 PM

Just a little wildflower

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 04 2012 06:53 PM

Crossing the river Colne in Uxbridge

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 05 2012 12:21 AM

At the medieval festival there were lots of booths selling just about everything imagineable. Many of them were beautifully decorated. This one sold medieval headpieces, amongst other things, and I was lucky enough to find one made out of the exact same material as my dress! Dress and headpiece were black velvet with silver trimmings. Perfect match! Couldn't believe my luck!

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 05 2012 03:51 AM

Another from Durrell on Sunday.

I love the way it is taking on the colours of the background.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 05 2012 03:53 AM

Wellington Arch after I walked through it but before the Olympic triathletes rode through it on their bicycles. May be 2 years before but still before....

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 05 2012 05:00 AM

Played a round of golf today and on the last hole saw this mother duck and her ducklings. I didn't want to get too close, she was quite protective of them!

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 05 2012 10:31 AM

Covering the map towards Slough yesterday

Posted by: CmdrK

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 05 2012 12:58 PM

To continue with the "Exploring Space" theme that ClaraSue ended September with, this is a full-size replica of a Mercury-Redstone rocket at the McAuliffe-Shepard Discovery Center in Concord, New Hampshire. It was on one of these rockets that Alan Shepard (New Hampshire native), became the first American in space, on May 5, 1961.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 05 2012 02:37 PM

Fantastic selection of photos already this month, great work guys!

My offering today is in memory of those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer ...

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 05 2012 05:18 PM

Tortoise at local wildlife park, they think he is around 100, but as he's lost his birth certificate they're not sure.

Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 05 2012 07:48 PM

A rock rose (Cistus purpurea) after a little rain.
Loving all the photos!

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 01:33 AM

Well things are hotting up for Mother Goose'e visit to HK and I was out this morning at the market buying veg for the extremely special BBQ tomorrow!
Posted by: Copago

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 02:27 AM

*gasp* MG is visiting? That's wonderful - hope you both have a great time!

Here's a couple swans in the swamp. It's completely covered by that red weed now but the swans and the ducks don't seem to mind.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 07:09 AM

It's a year today since we lost my beloved Star to cancer at the age of 6. Although we now have Susie, who is a joy, and I would be devastated if anything happened to her, there hasn't been a day when some memory of Star hasn't come to me. This was taken when she was 2. She was a complete sweetheart in every way.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 08:21 AM

My heart goes out to you Christina. You never get over the loss of a lovely animal. That's a great picture showing her sense of fun for sure.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:12 AM

Love the photo Copago.
Hope you two have a great time, Ren and MG!
My sympathies, Christinap. I know from experience how hard it is to get over those sorts of things.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 03:25 PM

Thank you both. You're right Ren, you don't, they all end up with their own special place in your heart, and you love the next one you have whilst simultaneously missing the ones that went before. I once read a quote from Lord Oaksey, it went along the lines of "the worst thing about being human was the number of horses and dogs you outlived".

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 03:49 PM

Awww, what a cute photo of Star. My sympathy to you, Christinap. I know how hard it is.

Such great photos by everyone! Santana, I especially like your lazy days of summer! I haven't been able to get out and about for a few days to get any new photos, so I'm still going back through some older stuff. This one, as my last few have been, is still in Kentucky.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 05:36 PM

Great to hear we're still linking up around the world. I wish I could be there to meet you both as well.

This is one of my many hundreds of views of Golders Green

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:31 PM

A young crimson rosella (one of many spectacularly colored native parrots in this part of Oz) exploring our friend's yard in Gippsland (eastern Victoria) yesterday...

The day was overcast so I was taking photos with and without a flash. The flash created a curious 'white spot' effect in the eyes (similar to the red eye in humans), which wasn't a great look. Similarly, a flash and cats eyes gives them devilish, glowing green eyes. Having lots of fun learning how to photograph wildlife but I'm always very eager to hear tips from the wonderful contributors to this site that know a lot more about this than I do!

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:50 PM

Lovely picture of Star. I also know how you must be feeling.

Great bird photo, Mike. Wonderful colours!

This is a view of City Hall in the distance, as seen through the flowers at a little roadside park not far from my home.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 07 2012 01:34 AM

Now for something slightly different, I found myself attacking Trafalgar Square from a different direction in the late afternoon and here is the St-Martins-in-the-Field-Church though I cannot remember seeing a field....

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 07 2012 06:11 AM

Oh yes this is one of my favourite churches in London, Howie, and yes it once was in the fields-between London and Westminster. There are lots of great stories and a great history attached to it. For instance, the doors are never closed, and it was used to welcome all soldiers going to the 1st World War battle sites, so they could stop to pray on the way. It was once used as a library, and the first church service broadcast was from there. Its a lovely church and be happy if you ever go to a wedding there, it is such a treat.
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 07 2012 02:00 PM

I went to the south coast for the weekend but in Shoreham the River Adur separates the main part of the town from the sea.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 07 2012 03:27 PM

Wow! Fantastic photo flopsy, and Ren, thanks for all that interesting information! I quite feel like researching St Martin's church more in depth now ...

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 07 2012 04:26 PM

Some years ago when I was working in London a friend of mine belonged to a Choral Society and they used to give performances in St Martin's In The Field and I went to several of them. They do quite a few free lunchtime concerts there as well ranging from solo piano recitals to jazz. It is beautiful inside, well worth a visit if anyone happens to be in London.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 07 2012 05:46 PM

Sunset

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 07 2012 06:31 PM

Lovely sunset there. Skyscrapers! Back in Croydon again

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 07 2012 09:25 PM

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! We had our big family meal today, at my sister's house, as my niece and her young man were here from Toronto. This is dessert -

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 02:04 AM

That looks lucious - any going spare?

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 05:10 AM

I'd like a piece of that, Liz! Also love the bird, boat and sunset.

You're probably sick of these by now, but here is my pelican friend again, this time with a nice sunset in the background.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 06:16 AM

How could anyone be sick of him Dan? He is just gorgeous!!
Thanks Liz a piece of that would be yum.The pics are again amazing , all.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 07:28 AM

Love your pelican Dan - and he is so co-operative in posing for you as well, are you sneaking him food to make him stand still?

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 10:30 AM

What a beautiful bird, MikeMaster! I'd love to be able to see something like that in the wild.
Flopsy, that boat picture is so serene, I really like that.
Daaanieeel, your pelican does look like he's listening to you. laugh
Great photos everyone!

For some reason, I cannot get my photo uploaded. Will have to show it later.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 11:57 AM

I'm not sure what to call this one... "The Light Under the Railway Bridge" or "Sunset Over the Mobile Phone Mast" or "Tide Goes Out Under Pilings". wink

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 12:09 PM

Whatever you call it, it sure is beautiful Flopsy! Also, happy birthday. smile
Haha, no food Christina, he is just a very well behaved pelican. smile

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 04:12 PM

Part of the old medieval hall at Hatfield.

Happy Birthday flopsy

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 04:19 PM

I'm glad you like the boats... and thanks for the birthday wishes. Cheers. grin

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 08 2012 09:11 PM

Hope you have had a great day, Flopsy! Sorry all who asked, but I've eaten the rest of the pie that I brought home with me. I still have some leftovers from the main course (shown here) though smile

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 12:38 AM

oh yum! The main and desert both look great.
Makes me wish I'd gotten somethign better out for dinner. :p

I love a pelican pic - he's gorgeous Daniel!

So sorry to hear about Star, Christinap. She is a beauty.

I think everyone has seen this sign before but this one is at sunrise hence it's backwards... (I wanted to flip it but can't find that option confused)

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 03:00 AM

The London Coliseum in St Martins Lane, London's largest theatre (I think) and home of the English National Opera.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 05:32 AM

In response to the post in the blue thread I went into the garden to look at my flars and looked at both a pink one and a white one and both had dark blue middles, this one had the added bonus of a visitor.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 08:57 AM

Wow, some great photos! Sue, that's the flower! I just love those.

For some reason, I couldn't get my photos uploaded at all yesterday; finally had success this morning. Sunday we were in Longview, Washington and I saw this lumber plant. Stacks and stacks of logs almost as far as you could see.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 12:44 PM

This is Lancing College. Lancing is a public school, which translated for Americans means it's a private school. All the buildings you can see are part of the school, with the possible exception of the houses down by the river. The large building on the right is the college chapel, the largest school chapel in the world. The chapel was started in 1868 - it is still not finished. No one has ever raised enough money to build the 100 metre tower planned for the west end - and even if they did, the chapel is built of Sussex sandstone, which crumbles and has to be refaced and replaced constantly so even if it was built it's probable that such a high tower would fall down pretty quickly. I once owned a house built with Sussex brick and that crumbled every time anyone banged the front door!

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 02:27 PM

If anyone wants to know what south London looks like here is a typical view in Thornton Heath

edited the number plate!

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 03:45 PM

Thanks Sue, I've obviously never looked that closely at the middles before. Great photo.

Now that is a lot of logs ClaraSue, what are they used for, furniture, construction, anything and everything that needs wood I would guess with that amount.

Howie, you are right, the Coliseum is London's largest theatre by seating capacity, around 2300 I think.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 04:23 PM

Another of the properties at Battlesbridge. All of these are run as antique shops even if they don't look like it from the outside.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 09:57 PM

I've eaten up all of the food now, so it's back to autumn colours on the trees smile

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 09 2012 11:02 PM

That's beautiful

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 10 2012 06:57 AM

Brilliant photos everyone! Especially love Sue's flower, the logs, the sunset and the autumn tree! And that dinner looks just as good as the dessert!

Here's a nice view from my walk tonight.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 10 2012 07:26 AM

This is the pond next to the lumber yard in Longview, Washington. The tan color in the pond is the reflection of the stacks of logs.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 10 2012 08:24 AM

I am amazed how you people do it. That is another gorgeous photo ClaraSue! Just lovely, and the boats too Dan

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 10 2012 03:13 PM

I continue the tour of SE London

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 10 2012 03:35 PM

I thought I'd contribute a street as well - this is the High Street in Shoreham-by-Sea. I'm pretty sure that the building on the left used to be a pub called the White Lion - the road that runs past it to join the High Street used to be called White Lion Road which is probably a small clue. However the building is now home to something else which defines an English town's main road - an Indian restaurant and takeaway. The next round of Chicken Korma is on me! wink

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 11 2012 08:26 AM

I'm loving the tour of England's streets!

Winter is coming! These snow covered peaks are located in Montana approx. 100 miles west of Billings. Photo was taken yesterday giving testament that winter is just around the corner. These are the Crazy Mountains (The Crazies) and the highest peak is 11,214 feet (3,418 m).

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 11 2012 11:11 AM

Oh that is a glorious view. There is something so special about mountains.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 11 2012 11:53 AM

I agree, I love the look of mountains too, especially when snowy.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 11 2012 04:53 PM

Jousting knights at a country show

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 11 2012 06:11 PM

This is an area of Shoreham called Ropetackle - the name is presumably linked to the town's role, now mostly past, as a fishing port. I was staying with a friend in a block just behind these - but she doesn't have a view of the river. As the flats with river views cost an extra quarter of a million pounds I can understand why she chose to be landlocked! Anyway, these more pricey flats also have sculptures to look at:

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 11 2012 09:09 PM

This is how Precious greeted me when I came in the other day. It felt more like, "Where do you think you've been?" than "Welcome home!"

Posted by: mantequillo

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 11 2012 09:46 PM

Farm produce for sale on the honour system. Waterloo County, Ontario, this afternoon.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 03:55 AM

I am not showing every photo from every day so we shall move on to the next day in London where the weather was not as good, some rain at times if you could believe that. A friend travelled up to London to meet up and we went walking. First up is a familiar bridge - the Tower Bridge.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 07:00 AM

Gasp! Those mountains! They're beautiful!
Precious looks like she's saying "I am not amused". laugh
Jousting looks like such a fun sport. smile
Oh Tower Bridge, I wish I could visit it someday...

Here's a closer photo of a rainbow lorikeet. You can also see a little bit of another one just behind it. As beautiful as they are, unfortunately they were accidentally introduced from Queensland and have since caused some trouble by competing with other native birds for nesting spots and food, as well as just being very loud.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 07:31 AM

Very pretty though.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 07:34 AM

Autumn is the time for various fungi to start appearing. Found this one in the garden this morning.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 09:20 AM

We have naturalised parakeets here, Daniel... they're very pretty but the damage they are doing to our fruit industry is enormous so farmers can shoot them without getting a special licence, along with crows, magpies, and gulls. "Now that's what I call a dead parrot."

Two other invasive bird species can also be culled, though not by shooting. The Egyptian goose and, for Jakeroo, the Canada goose. One restaurant owner has suggest that we should eat Canada geese - apparently they're quite tasty with Thai spices, lol.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 11:41 AM

Christinap, that is a great shot of the jousting. That must have been neat to be that close to the action. Also, just how big is your fungi in your garden? It looks huge!
Flopsy, great sculptures. That clam is great.
Mantequillo, oh how I love the colors of autumn.
Howie, your tower photo looks good enough to be a postcard.

This is early morning on Coeur d'Alene Lake in Idaho. I was trying to get a better shot of the mist coming off the water. It was so cool!

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 03:26 PM

ClaraSue, that photo of the fungi is about life size, it's actually a little bit bigger than that. Close too the jousting is quite exciting. They do around a half hour display. As well as jousting against each other they also hit targets with lances going at a full gallop, use the lance to hook rings off of poles, again at a gallop, and hit targets with those spiked balls on chains. Although the lances are padded when they fight each other they do hit each other with some force, and do knock each other off the horses. I've got loads of photos of it but it's sorting out the ones where the crowd shots aren't too identifiable, which quite a few of them are.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 06:40 PM

They're all great photos! Welcome Mantequillo - great shot. I hope we can see more?

Yesterday I was in town and had half an hour to spare and found myself walking past a camera shop. My camera has been doing some weird things lately and is in need of an upgrade so i thought, with Christmas in mind, I would just pop my head in while I had some spare time.
You can see where this is going, huh?

So here is a photo with my new camera ( a sony cybershot ... this thing even has a GPS so I could go back to where I had taken a previous photo. I'll probably never use it but wow! lol)

Posted by: AlexxSchneider

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 07:19 PM

I went for a riverside walk a few days ago, while my glasses were getting new lenses. I'm pretty blind without my glasses, so it was a silly idea to take photos, but I held the camera very close to my face so that I could see what I was doing, and I'm very happy with the photos I took! I will maybe post some more in the next few days.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 10:18 PM

My visitors know better than to bring me the dreaded Vegemite. Mother Goose just visited me and this was her most welcome, special edition for the Jubilee Marmite jar How welcome!Thankyou!

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 10:35 PM

It is Marmageddon in New Zealand, been no marmite production since the earthquakes and the supermarkets ran out months and months and months and months ago.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 10:42 PM

Howie, just give me the word and I'll send you a care package of Vegemite!
SpanishLiz, we get that look every time we come home from 'Twiggy'. I'm sure if they could verbalize, cats would have invented sarcasm.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 10:42 PM

Oh Howie how tragic! My heart goes out to you in your loss!

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 11:03 PM

And now for something a little different... I was quite taken by this little water fountain. It is for ritual hand and mouth washing in preparation of entering the nearby temple. In this case, it was the Enryaku-ji Temple, on the mountainside above Otsu (near Kyoto), Japan.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 12 2012 11:57 PM

We can get vegemite here but I do not bother with that....lol

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 13 2012 12:31 AM

Well you wouldn't unless your axles wanted greasing, would you?

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 13 2012 02:11 AM

Mike, I love that fountain.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 13 2012 03:41 AM

'The Navigators' in Hays Galleria, a sculpture by David Kemp.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 13 2012 04:42 AM

What is this? Bad mouthing Vegemite? The nerve! wink I love the stuff! Have a nice layer of it on buttered toast is the best breakfast, and then for lunch you butter two slices of wholegrain, rye or wholemeal bread. Then on one of the slices flip it to the non-buttered side, spread Vegemite on it and then add cheese. Put the other slice of bread on top of this (buttered slice facing up) and chuck it on a toasted sandwich maker. Perfect.
Anyway, a photo:

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 13 2012 03:46 PM

Some more fungi.

Never tasted Vegemite, but can't stand Marmite.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 13 2012 08:22 PM

Click here
I am not really in favour of bringing up old threads, it can be irritating and non productive, but this one is relevant I guess.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 14 2012 08:54 AM

Ha! That was a lively discussion and one that can't be won, I'm afraid. grin

Jill, your new camera looks like it will work out great!

MikeMaster, I'm quite taken with that fountain as well!

Christinap, are any of the fungi in your garden edible? I find lots on my travels, but I'm scared to try any, even after I've done research on them to rule out sickness or death. I have a friend that's very knowledgeable and will go mushroom hunting and eats them without problem, but that's just something I'm afraid to do.

Anybody that knows me knows that sunsets are my favorite subjects. This was last night in Belgrade, Montana. It was so gorgeous, I wasn't the only one out taking photos. I saw a few people stop and whip out their cameras.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 14 2012 09:21 AM

While on the subject of dragons and fountains - here's one I saw in Macau a couple of days ago. It constantly changes colour because of the coloured lights aimed on it.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 14 2012 10:05 AM

Having survived yet another Canadian Thanksgiving, wild turkeys celebrate in a field near Sharbot Lake, Ontario, seemingingly unaware that Christmas is just around the corner.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 14 2012 04:05 PM

ClaraSue, I don't know if any are edible or not. I have some on the front grass that look like regular mushrooms, and I've looked them up and think they would be OK but I don't want to take the risk so havn't tried them. I wish I did know as I'm sure just picked and cooked almost immediately they'd be much nicer than the supermarket ones.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 14 2012 05:26 PM

Sticking with dragons, here is my Swarovski dragon

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 14 2012 08:00 PM

Crossing the River Wey in Frensham

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 14 2012 11:18 PM

Beautiful sunset, Clara. Also loving all the dragons/fountains (I like your panda as well, Christina!). Your description of the turkeys made me laugh, Mante! That's a really nice view, Satguru.

Here's a poor neglected boat I saw one my walk the other day.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 12:48 AM

Continuing our walk in London, we came across the H.M.S. Belfast, just another poor neglected boat..... smile

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 01:51 AM

Thanks Daniel. The panda is actually a set of three, adult and two babies.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 11:23 AM

Yesterday, I took a nice, peaceful walk near Billings, Montana. You can't see the water in this photo, but this path runs next to the Yellowstone River.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 01:37 PM

Thanks Daniel, I still need to figure out the focus on the new camera, I took two there for that reason and they both did the same thing.

This is just an ordinary view of a petrol station north of Bordon but nice light and colours.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 03:30 PM

One last shot of Shoreham... at various points along the river walk there were carved planks fixed to the railings, presumably for decorative purposes. So naturally I pointed my camera at a hole:

ClaraSue, that red sunset of yours was spectacular but the picture of the path down to the bridge was beautifully framed, I liked that a lot.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 04:21 PM

I haven't been near Shoreham for a while but hope you saw my photo of Northampton not long ago. I forgot you lived there till I just noticed it and have plenty more you can see on Flickr although I expect you can see them without looking on the internet...

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 04:41 PM

You found something in Northampton to take a photo of? shocked

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 05:05 PM

The various country shows we go to all have craft marquees and some of them have some lovely works for sale, like this carving of intertwined whales

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
You found something in Northampton to take a photo of? shocked

I was pleased the Geograph project appeared as once I'd taken all the familiar sights and used up the ideas they just want photos representing Britain and Ireland. That meant every place I could get to got me more coverage on my personal map and worked my way around the compass points. As I started from scratch with digital as the old ones were few and far between I can now take whatever I see freely and get credit for each one. If nothing else they are a record of the day I took them, as a year or more ahead you can start seeing changes, especially when buildings go- I hardly ever remember what was there before when it happens locally.
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 15 2012 08:05 PM

Satguru: it's obvious you're enjoying your new camera

ClaraSue: that's a GORGEOUS picture, makes me want to walk there

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 01:51 AM

Lovely photos - your walk, CalraSue is beautiful.

That time of year here again - had our first snake in the yard yesterday and here is his skin he just came out of. You can make out the head closest to the camera.
*shudder*

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 02:10 AM

Great photo, you can even make out the eye. What sort of snake, do you know?
Do you just get rid of the skins or do your son and his friends collect them?

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 02:47 AM

It's currently hung up in the schoolroom lol
It's an eastern brown snake - I saw it crawling away. They are very poisonous but they will avoid people as much as they can and will only bite if threatened.
It's the first full skin I've ever found - they're usually all broken up but this one is really quite interesting (and creepy).

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 08:01 AM

I took this photo last week at the Hong Kong Zoo/Botanical Gardens. Anyone know what it is?

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 10:06 AM

Flopsy, your "hole" photo is great! I like the way you centered the yacht through it. I didn't catch it at first...very sneaky. grin

This is Pompeys Pillar located 26 miles east of Billings, MT. On the face of this butte, Captain William Clark (of the famous Lewis and Clark Expedition), carved his name on his way back to the U.S. (Tomorrow I show the signature inthe rock). Originally named Pompeys Tower in honor of Sacagawea's son whom Cpt. Clark nicknamed "Pomp". There is a boardwalk/staircase leading up the backside of this butte which I climbed, much to the chagrin of my aching calves. grin

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 10:09 AM

Still pretty even in October. smile

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 11:58 AM

ClaraSue: I know everyone is in awe of the Crazy Mountains, but that's quite the herd of Black Angus! (well, at least that's what they appear to be as they look sort of too dark to be bison).

Liz: that's a fabulous picture of Precious. I think you should enter it in a photo contest. It's neat how her green eyes pick up the blue.

ManteQ: lovely picture - and you've just reminded me that I need to pick up some pumpkins before all the ones with "handles" are gone : ) LOVE your turkey pic as well.

Flopsy: Canada Geese are actually quite good without the need for Thai spices lol. When my husband still hunted, we had one every year for Christmas. I, too, believe that they should be eaten and/or cooked and given away to the less fortunate who can't afford a $60 turkey. They are in NO danger of extinction lol.

Alexx: Okay, you took that one WITHOUT your glasses?? I think I might have to throw my camera in that river lol. Looks like a good spot for muskrats - any in there? I like your fall flowers picture too!

Daniel: Honestly? I'd never have guessed that was a boat. Looks like a plastic washtub I have in the camper lol!

Howie? You're a hoot. I find myself giggling at many of your postings (p.s. the pictures are good too).

Copago: it's NOT creepy - it's very cool! (but I'm not showing it to my mom - she found similar evidence that I had a pet snake that she didn't know about. Melissa DaHissa was disposed of in due course. Am surprised I'm alive today lol).

Mother Goose: That's a Glory Bower, or as some people call it, a White Bleeding Heart Vine. "Proper" name is Clerodendrum thomsoniae

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 12:04 PM

Oh yeah, I suppose I should post a picture of something lol. Our best friends decided we should do something we would NEVER do (ruling out anything that would get us in trouble, that is), so we went to the Gopher Hole Museum in Torrington Alberta. If you ignore the fact that it was a 2.5 hour drive there and back, it was the best $2.00 I've ever spent (granted, you had to be in "silly mode" to enjoy this at all lol) ...

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 01:16 PM

haha - gave me a giggle laugh

Whatever it is, MG, it is lovely!

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 03:01 PM

When you've got to gopher you've got to gopher...

A typical Surrey road in Millbridge. Certainly good to have a camera which can cope with all variations in light and other difficult circumstances.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 04:10 PM

Your new camera really is giving good results Satguru.

Some happy pigs

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 07:45 PM

They look as happy as a pig in .. well, mud. wink

Jinx (the Dog) went out of the yard this morning and came home with a lamb :?
Not sure what happened but she was very excited about it all. So the lamb can stay - she looks like she might have lost her Mum a while back and seems quite happy to stay and hang out with the dog. We have her tied up just for a few days for the lamb (called Lucy but that might change lol) to settle in.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 16 2012 08:26 PM

Clever Jinx! Lucky Lucy Lamb! smile (Great photo!)

This bunny in my friend's shop appears to have acquired some bling...

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 17 2012 01:02 AM

Following the HMS Belfast, we came across another of the famous boats in old London Town. A full size replica of the Golden Hinde which Sir Francis Drake circumnavigated the world in 1577 1580.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 17 2012 02:34 AM

Clever Jinx. All Susie ever brings home is sticks!

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 17 2012 06:19 AM

Aww! Look at her little knees! What a sweetie. Clever Jinx indeed!

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 17 2012 07:14 AM

I once had a cat who brought back a lamb chop, she clearly had no idea how to get a live one through the catflap. One time she rescued a loaf of bread but that died on the doorstep, she just couldn't drag it through the flap. Her brother had more sense, he fetched a cheese sandwich which got into the kitchen quite easily... even if the grated cheese jumped out everywhere it could. All over the floor, the work surface, you name it, the cheese got in there and wouldn't come out. grin

Bunnies like bling, send me some!

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 17 2012 09:41 AM

Ooh, pigs in mud! I raised a few pigs in my lifetime; I can almost smell them from here grin.

AT least Jinx is bringing you back something cute. All Alex ever brings back is mud and stickers!

Great boat, Howie!

Yesterday I posted a pic of Pompeys Pillar. Here is the signature of Capt. William Clark he engraved in the side of the butte on July 25, 1806. It has been covered to protect it from vandals. Underneath and all around his signature are writings and signatures of other people who wanted to leave their mark in the soft stone. Now there are cameras and warnings of prosecution if anybody is caught marking it.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 17 2012 01:53 PM

Yet you still managed to add your name - don't think I can't see that on the left, it's shaky but it definitely says somethingSUE. wink

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 17 2012 04:01 PM

I spotted this little wild cyclamen in the garden this morning. The seeds must have blown in from somwhere last year, so I've cleared a little space round it in the hopes it will seed and multiply.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 17 2012 04:19 PM

Another country road near the last one

Jinx clearly knows how to look after any friends he meets on his way, animals are far cleverer than we realise.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 17 2012 04:34 PM

Quote:
Yet you still managed to add your name - don't think I can't see that on the left, it's shaky but it definitely says somethingSUE.

I actually scrolled in to see that! gringrin

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 18 2012 10:51 AM

This is a replica of the boat Lewis and Clark used while navigating the Yellowstone River in Montana. Not nearly as big or nice as other boats I've seen here lately. laugh

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 18 2012 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo

Alexx: Okay, you took that one WITHOUT your glasses?? I think I might have to throw my camera in that river lol. Looks like a good spot for muskrats - any in there? I like your fall flowers picture too!

Thank you! The river's photogenic enough without too much of my help :P And yes, we have muskrats, although I've never seen them personally.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 18 2012 03:23 PM

We've had some high winds recently that have taken leaves off the trees, yet strangely the berries are still there.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 18 2012 04:57 PM

Quote:
Mother Goose: That's a Glory Bower, or as some people call it, a White Bleeding Heart Vine. "Proper" name is Clerodendrum thomsoniae

Thanks Jakeroo!

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 18 2012 05:55 PM

I just noticed that, Carole. I have some in my garden!

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 18 2012 06:07 PM

Another of the new addition . .she's still called Lucy and is settling in nicely.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 18 2012 06:16 PM

Not a very good photo but this is the Southwark Cathedral or if you prefer, the Cathedral and Collegiate Church of St Saviour and St Mary Overie. As someone who is a quiet person I think the first name is better for me. I wonder if anyone can tell me what time I took this photo....lol

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 18 2012 10:02 PM

Lucy is sweet!

I went to check out our nice new train station today, and this train obliged by pulling in just as I arrived!

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 19 2012 10:10 AM

Awww, Lucy is so sweet!

Liz, lucky you! I sat on a rail out in the country waiting for a train to come by so I could get a photo. It didn't come. tongue

So, instead I saw this tree not far away and had to show that apparently the fence had been there quite awhile as it's grown in to the trunk.

Posted by: martin_cube

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 19 2012 11:03 AM

I took a trip to the aircraft museum at Duxford last month and took LOADS of photos. This is a
Westland Lysander, used during WW2 to drop off and pick up people from occupied Europe.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 19 2012 04:45 PM

Some more fungi. These look like regular mushrooms, but I'm just not brave enough to find out.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 19 2012 06:12 PM

Oh Hi Martin, nice to see you around. Looking forward to the aircraft pics. The mushrooms look OK. But I agree you need to find someone who knows.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 19 2012 07:43 PM

Ooh! I love the Lysander! Beautiful!

This is another pic from my walk yesterday- just some colourful leaves by the riverside.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 20 2012 12:35 AM

In London or not in London, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler to the feet to walk
Through the rain and cold of summer time,
Or to take the Underground and by doing so
Deprive ourselves the sights. To see, to not see

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 20 2012 02:19 AM

Oh that's great, Howie, that's the new Globe on the right; well caught!

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 20 2012 05:10 AM

Great photos from everyone since I've last posted. Jakeroo's chipmunks made me laugh quite hard, and Lucy is lovely!

She might not be as clever as Jinx, but Misty was certainly interested in something on our walk today. I saw nothing unusual when I looked.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 20 2012 05:43 AM

My cat Misty is absolutely appalled at the thought of sharing her name with a dog! wink

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 20 2012 08:26 AM

Lovely photo, Liz!

Cute photos of the Misty's. LOL

Waiting for the train that didn't show.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 02:06 AM

Is this what you were talking about, Ren? smile

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 02:50 AM

Oh Yes. It's wonderful, I think.Did you watch a play?
I have been inside but not yet managed to watch a play

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 03:47 AM

I only walked past it

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 08:32 AM

Hi Ren. I just don't seem to have the time to post photos as often as I used to. frown

This is one of my favoUrite aircraft (one of many), a Thunderbolt. This one is still airworthy. I
hope to get back to Duxford when they're having one of their airshows to see it in action.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 11:43 AM

The view from atop Pompeys Pillar in Montana. There's a reason why Montana is called Big Sky Country.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 01:52 PM

I came across this tower in Claygate on my travels

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 04:21 PM

David: does that tower have any "history" at all? or was it built just to accessorise the rest of the property?

Martin: That's my favourite, whether it's historically significant or not (because I like the colours/pattern LOL) of all the aircraft you've posted so far.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 05:14 PM

That's Ruxley Towers... a rather nice house if you've got the legs for stairs. I'm not sure if it's still for sale but I saw the asking price of 3.5 million somewhere. That's pounds sterling of course. Here are some more views.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 06:04 PM

Very nice too. I love the staircase.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 06:45 PM

I'm very impressed anyone actually managed to identify the building just from the general location- but that's why I'm here- where else could that happen? (I think it was available by clicking it but sure it would have been tracked down either way).

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 21 2012 08:16 PM

Gorgeous. Thanks for the link Flopsy!

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 22 2012 03:58 AM

I took this photo in Hong Kong harbour last week - tomorrow I'll post a photo of the boat we were travelling in at the time.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 22 2012 06:39 AM

OOOh I think that is the Adventure Ship, Carole
http://www.adventureship.org.hk/home.php
It's for the training of handicapped young people Such a great set up . Talk about build up confidence.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 22 2012 07:26 AM

A floating classroom! What a wonderful program and that is a great looking ship! Can you imagine what that looked like on the High Seas? The backdrop of Hong Kong gives a neat contrast of "then" and "now".

These are some big grain silos!

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 22 2012 01:34 PM

Bushy Park in the mist

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 22 2012 03:54 PM

Nice pic, SatG.
And very cool boat - so jealous of your time there MG!!

THis has seen better days!

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 22 2012 06:02 PM

Haven't we all,Jill, but what a wonderful colour!

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 23 2012 04:16 AM

This is the junk we were on when I photographed the boat above. It's called the Aqua Luna and is a popular touristy thing to do. We took an evening cruise on it and enjoyed it so much, we took a daytime cruise a couple of days later.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 23 2012 07:11 AM

Lovely views, Satguru and Clara! Also love your tower, Sat (thanks for the link Flopsy!)
A butterfly or moth flying off some lavender. I have shots of it on the lavender, but I actually think this one turned out the best.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 23 2012 11:33 AM

Great shot Dan.

Just been catching up here, havn't had phone or internet since Saturday due to a "fault on the line"! Highly frustrating.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 23 2012 12:37 PM

A slight detour from London.....this should not be happening here at this time of year....lol

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 23 2012 05:08 PM

Thrilled with the installation of a satellite TV dish, the colony look forward to hunkering down for the winter to watch a marathon of "Leave It To Beaver" reruns.

Beaver Lodge near Kaladar, Ontario

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 23 2012 05:11 PM

Quote:
Thrilled with the installation of a satellite TV dish, the colony look forward to hunkering down for the winter to watch a marathon of "Leave It To Beaver" reruns.

smilee good one!

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 23 2012 05:24 PM

Another one of my front garden pictures, a real cottage type

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 23 2012 08:58 PM

Here's a pelican placidly paddling in Pamlico Sound...

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 03:26 AM

Another picture of the Aqua Luna on our evening cruise. The sails aren't really on fire - it's just a trick of the light.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 03:44 AM

This time not as close up as the last one, a view of the mid-October snow on the foothills to the west of Timaru. About 20 metres behind me is the Pacific Ocean so the views when I walk into town and back are so horrible....lol

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 04:41 AM

Mante, that post made me laugh!
Lovely views Howie!
Very nice garden, Satguru. My yard is pretty much just weeds. wink
Looks and sounds like you had a great trip, MG!
Hey etrum, maybe my pelican and yours could be friends! wink
Here's another West Australian native (also found in other Australian states). It is a cockatoo (I'd say a corella of some sort) with its crest up.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 07:51 AM

Wow! Where to start? All the photos since I last posted are fabulous! The snow covered mountains are just gorgeous as is the lavender and moth. Sat, your mist and cottage garden pictures are so peaceful and serene. Copago, somewhere I have a collection of old junker truck and car photos. We see so many our travels and I find them fascinating. MG, I did think at first that your sails were on fire. Good catch!

I think that this is a crab-apple tree. It was in a rest area in Oregon and was so overloaded that I had to take just a taste to see. It was bitter. grin

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 03:43 PM

Sunrise this morning. There's grassfires in the area which make for good sunrises.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 05:04 PM

Wow! That's awesome!

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 05:26 PM

All the photos have been great!

Howie: gotta love that global warming thang LOL.

Speaking of snow on mountains, many years ago we were on a "driving tour" of norwestern-ish US states. At one point we were at Mount Shasta and some guy from one of the southern states was extremely excited to inform us that "there is snow on that mountain ALL YEAR - imagine that!". He was so obviously thrilled about the whole concept that we didn't bother to tell him we were from Canada and there is snow on almost ALL of our mountains ALL year, every year lol.

Copago: FABulous! There's a full moon coming up within 5 days, so if there's still lots of smoke in the air you should be able to get a great "Blood Moon" shot if there's no clouds (just in time for Hallowe'en!)

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 05:37 PM

Amazing shot, Copago!

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 07:02 PM

Here's another view of quite a few of the same ponds.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 11:38 PM

A very contented koala on Raymond Island in the Gippsland Lakes (eastern Victoria).
This photo is for Tezza - may she rest in peace. She was always writing so beautifully about this country. She'll be missed by many, myself included.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 24 2012 11:54 PM

Yes indeed Mike, and thanks for that. Such a sad loss to our group. I know how she loved her home country.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 25 2012 02:02 AM

Fabulous shot Copago.

Mike, that was such a nice thing to do.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 25 2012 05:25 AM

Very nice scenery Satguru.
Beautiful shot, Mike, such a fitting tribute to such a lovely person.
Mr. Pelican perched high up on top of a lamp today. There was another pelican as well nearby, but unfortunately not close enough to get a good shot of the two together.
Posted by: Dotb

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 25 2012 09:03 AM

Bodnant house reflected in the water on Monday.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 25 2012 02:42 PM

Lovely sentiment Mike. frown

Great shot, Dot!

Coming in to land.
Posted by: trangie

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 25 2012 03:11 PM

Nice ducks Copago

And Dotb - I see you are from Oswestry - my Aunt Nina Bawden died in August but her most famous novel was Carries War - about her and my fathers experiences when they were evacuated during WW11.

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 25 2012 03:30 PM

Welcome, Trangie. I loved your Auntie's book very much.
Posted by: trangie

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 25 2012 04:14 PM

Thanks ren. I loved all her books - although we were always nervous before they came out - she had a bad habit of exposing family skeletons!! But a totally marvellous Aunt!

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 25 2012 05:55 PM

So, why not give us something about her in Bookworms? That would be lovely!

Re: Hello October! - Thu Oct 25 2012 06:34 PM

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Interesting to hear about the Nina Bawden connection as although I never met her she was a friend of my mother for a few years before she died, although many years earlier we were all friends with Joan Aiken and Kaye Webb of Puffin Books as we met them on holiday.

Although it's a fairly dreadful journey I found out about three old direction signs on one wall which I got today in Leighton Buzzard. I was hoping to get there when it was light and take more on the way but was running late, and wondered if the new camera could manage to reach so high up with the flash, but I brightened them up and came out perfect. Two are here and the other was turning to the right. They are also the only ones known left in Bedfordshire.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 03:43 AM

Back to old London town again and St Paul's cathedral as seen from the Millennium Bridge.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 04:46 AM

Did you get the chance to see it at night when it is illuminated Howie? It is one of the lovliest sights in London, or I think so anyway.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 04:47 AM

Dot, that is a fabulous photo of Bodnant. I've been there many times and that brought back some very happy memories.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 09:47 AM

The Cape Hatteras lighthouse.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 10:27 AM

The new camera can take photos at night and will see if using manual exposure will be able to manage further than the flash can go here. It should be possible to reach any visible distance with a second or so using the tripod and as the clocks go back this weekend will have many months to use it if it is.

These are the shops in Leighton Buzzard, I was hoping to get there before it got dark to get more than just the road signs but better than not at all.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 11:03 AM

That's a very good nightime shot.
Posted by: CmdrK

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 11:31 AM

I haven't found much to photograph around here lately. Most of the leaves are either dull or have fallen and frost is starting to kill the flowers and vegetation. So here's a shot of Red Rock Casino in Las Vegas.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 01:58 PM

trangie I really enjoyed Carries War, Christina, glad it brought back happy memories. We had a great day and it was a bit of a trip down memory lane for us as we've not been there since our children were little (we are grandparents now!). The way in has changed a bit as they have built a subway under the road but the house and grounds are still as stunning. smile

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 03:12 PM

Cool lighthouse!!

My house. smile

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 03:37 PM

How far to your nearest neighbour Copago?

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 03:41 PM

Havn't had the camera out much the last few days due to unremitting fog and drizzle, so here are some cute coatis from Colchester Zoo taken earlier in the year.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 03:59 PM

No, I was not out and about at night generally except for when I met up with more friends in the late afternoon and we went out for dinner. I was not in London for long (3 nights I think it was).

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 04:20 PM

I've noticed that there have been quite a few photos of birds lately so here's a Gannet:

Fairy Gannet that is. Another of the exhibits at Duxford. I love how the wings fold up so that
they take as little room as possible in an aircraft carrier's hanger.

I was saddened to hear about Tezza. It's such a shame when we lose one of our FT family.

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 05:11 PM

It took a while, but here is my Glory Bower, Carole!

Re: Hello October! - Fri Oct 26 2012 10:14 PM

Gorgeous Ren!

This was a display of silk lanterns representing the Terracotta Warriors that we saw on the waterfront in Hong Kong.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 27 2012 05:48 AM

Another one from Bodnant Gardens.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 27 2012 02:23 PM

A little parrot sitting on the front fence.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 27 2012 06:09 PM

Great shot of the lighthouse, ertrum.
I've been there, CmdrK!
Great photos, everyone. I like the night shots; I still haven't been able to get any good ones from my camera. MG, you get some great night photos and yours too, Sat. I can't wait to see more of yours over the winter months.

This is the small mountain behind my house. The lone saguaro on the top is a favorite landmark for many people. I've nicknamed him Charlie and I love to sit on my back porch and look up at him. Hubby climbed up there one day and said he's huge! It's a lot farther away than you'd think and took hubby a long time to get up there.

Re: Hello October! - Sat Oct 27 2012 09:43 PM

On our way to visit Ren, we stopped at a lovely little park in Fanling. Loved the hedge shaped like a dragon with golf-ball eyes.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 28 2012 02:27 AM

My precious.....or am I getting mixed up with another ring?

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 28 2012 02:43 AM

That dragon is wonderful!
I love your hilltop cactus, ClaraSue. I think I would have to drag myself up there to see it .. just once.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 28 2012 06:13 AM

Some fabulous photos, as usual.

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 28 2012 02:28 PM

Despite their best efforts even the Greater London Authority couldn't get rid of all the Routemaster buses, two routes remain, this is the 9 at High Street Kensington

Re: Hello October! - Sun Oct 28 2012 05:10 PM

Love that dragon MotherGoose

Chinese Lanterns growing wild along the bridleway

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:10 AM

Somebody had a very bad day. This was a very small filling station in a tiny Idaho town. I heard that they were trying to sell this then a few days later it burns.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 29 2012 03:47 PM

I hope/ am sure they were insured, but I have a suspicious mind!

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 29 2012 04:12 PM

I believe we think alike, Sue. grin

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 29 2012 04:50 PM

Some Autumn colour

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 29 2012 05:04 PM

Another shot from the same park in Fanling - the turtle pond. This is only a fraction of it. It was a very large pond with many exposed rocks, most of which had a turtle on top - but usually only one per rock!

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 29 2012 05:17 PM

More memories, I found one before on a private road but these two (the other was covered in moss) are on a very public road in Croydon. This also is the more commonly made one (before 1964 that is) without catseyes which I didn't have.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 29 2012 05:19 PM

I really must go and find this park of yours,Carole, it looks interesting!

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 29 2012 05:25 PM

Before I carry on with more London photo from the trip, I shall bore you with a few photos I took on October 29th, 2012 from the Caroline Bay/Timaru Harbour area. First up is Whales Creek and the Benvenue Cliffs.

Re: Hello October! - Mon Oct 29 2012 06:37 PM

That looks lovely Howie. Doesn't look like much water for a whale though.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 30 2012 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By: ClaraSue
I believe we think alike, Sue. grin

Then I knew a person who had about three premises burn down, two failing businesses and one house which was about to be purchased by compulsory purchase for a new road! He is dead now.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 30 2012 08:17 AM

This is part of the Greenwood Tree Farm in Oregon. They grow Hybrid Poplars, which is one of the fastest growing trees at a rate of 8 foot per year. Situated along Interstate 84, you can see trees spanning a few miles down the road and very deep into the fields. Here they are showing their Autumn colors.

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 30 2012 11:25 AM

Mitchley Woods in Sanderstead

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 30 2012 02:51 PM

Our first tomato of the season laugh

Re: Hello October! - Tue Oct 30 2012 04:31 PM

A carpet of autumn leaves

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 02:55 AM

I realised I made a mistake with the previous photo, these photos were tken on October 29, 2012 and not 2010....This is the boardwalk among the sand dunes of Caroline Bay.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 08:33 AM

Worden, Montana

Posted by: Plodd

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 09:58 AM

I have only ever posted on here once before and so I thought it was about time I did so again. I orginally had three cats but the last one was put to sleep at the ripe old age of 19 years old, just before Christmas last year. I went to a cat rescue centre in February of this year and got myself three new bundles of mischief. They are all brothers from the same litter and just over ten months old now. This is Moe (ginger) and Mr Magoo (brown/black). I will introduce you to Mouse tomorrow smile

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 10:04 AM

Oh, what beautiful cats. Welcome back, Plodd. I'm looking forward to seeing Mouse now.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 12:10 PM

So am I, lovely cats Plodd.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 01:38 PM

Cats always go over well here, Plodd laugh

Tomato flowers smile

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 02:57 PM

Beautiful cats Plodd! smile
Posted by: bloodandsand

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 05:00 PM

Plodd, if both of those cats had white tummies I'd be knocking at your door accusing you of stealing mine! I have brother and sister cats, Stan is ginger and Flo is black, and they look like close relations of yours.

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 07:25 PM

Well then, please post pix of them bloodandsand (and hey! nice to "see" you here!)

Plodd: I'm in love with the black one, mr magoo is a BEAUT! (not that Moe isn't cute too, has a very interesting body pattern = different than most gingers : ))

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 07:44 PM

Precious wishes to greet Moe and Mr Magoo, and looks forward to meeting Mouse soon. She also hopes that Stan and Flo will join the happy little group smile

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 08:10 PM

Part of my continuing coverage of the photo map, Sanderstead Hill near Croydon

Re: Hello October! - Wed Oct 31 2012 09:16 PM

Rosie is waiting to see Mouse too.
Lets hope he turns up in November, which is the new thread!