Marching on!

Posted by: ren33

Marching on! - Thu Feb 28 2013 03:43 PM

Welcome to the new month.
Posted by: AlexxSchneider

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 01 2013 02:00 PM

I spent my Valentine's Day in Dundee because I had an interview for a postgraduate course there that day, and took the opportunity to take lots of nice photos. It's a lovely city.
Posted by: Chavs

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 01 2013 04:43 PM

That looks a tempting place to sit. smile Good luck with the interview/course.

Better have some daffs for St. David's day.

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 01 2013 10:29 PM

There were houses just up from there; it would be a lovely place to live, where the sea's literally at your doorstep! Thank you, but I received the rejection already - at least it was expected! Daffodils already? It's definitely becoming spring! laugh
Posted by: Howie72

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 02 2013 01:28 AM

The birth place of William Shakespeare in Henley Street, Stratford-upon-Avon.

Posted by: tellywellies

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 02 2013 03:58 PM

A bleak scene taken while out walking yesterday. The ground is still soggy after all the rain that seemed to go on forever. It will be nice when the greenery starts growing again and the weather becomes warmer:

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 02 2013 05:23 PM

It is still a very beautiful scene to me at least TW. We have so few open spaces with grass and trees like that.
Posted by: satguru

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 02 2013 07:29 PM

Look what I found this week- there are probably under ten in the entire country having been abolished 50 years ago, and even fewer on public roads which this appears to be on (does anyone know if Jordans is a private estate as there weren't any signs up to say so). Oddly although I do various word searches from time to time this came up for the first time ever despite being added in 2011. That was a lucky break, although I found one before this wasn't identical.

Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 02 2013 07:41 PM

As the hectic academic year gets underway tomorrow, I'll be thinking ruefully (pun half-intended) of the calm relaxation of this grey kangaroo (Merimbula, NSW)

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 02 2013 10:06 PM

All I know about Jordans is it is a village in Bucks near Chalfont St Giles. I had a boyfriend who lived there. Very pretty (The village, not the BF, though he was OK. ) I think Jordans is associated with the Quaker movement, why do I think that?I don't think it is a Private estate though.
Oh yes, looked it up. William Penn is buried there, that's the Quaker connection.
Mike what a sweet kangaroo.
Posted by: Dotb

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 03:56 AM

Daffodils are coming out now. smile
Posted by: sue943

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 09:02 AM

I used to go to that part of Bucks way back when, I had a boyfriend in Seer Green which is in spitting distance of Jordans. smile
Posted by: Christinap

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 12:24 PM

Something is building a very big nest in one of my trees

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 01:56 PM

Mr Shakespeare himself, or at least a statue of him. I don't believe he is still alive and able to sit that still. Yes, we are still in Stratford-upon-Avon.

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 02:34 PM

Yes, Jordans is a quaker village between Seer Green and Chalfont St Giles, and this is the green in the middle.

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 03:27 PM

Sue. I am sure they never spit in Buckinghamshire.Er ner.

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 05:21 PM

Isn't that mistletoe in the tree?

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 07:04 PM

No, we don't have any mistletoe growing round here at all. Definitely a nest of some sort.
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 07:38 PM

Looks like some of the big squirrel nests that I see in the trees around here.

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 10:38 PM

I thought it was crows' nests. Then there is the old wive's tale about the lower the nest the wetter the summer , or something....

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 03 2013 10:41 PM

Precious is absolutely certain that the new bookshelf is for her exclusive use! (She has a surprise coming!)

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 04 2013 05:07 AM

Originally Posted By: spanishliz
Looks like some of the big squirrel nests that I see in the trees around here.

Never thought of that. Could be, we do have a lot of squirrels round here at the moment.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 04 2013 11:40 AM

The woods in Chalfont St Peter

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 04 2013 05:04 PM

Tub of miniature daffodils which are now opening up nicely

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 05 2013 04:28 PM

A typical north London Victorian road in Highgate

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 05 2013 05:45 PM

Primula starting to flower

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 05 2013 07:39 PM

Paddling on the River Avon in Stratford-upon-Avon during a shower of rain....yes, it is early summer in England smile

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 05 2013 11:01 PM

Today it was sunny and warmish, and Precious was up for a bit of outdoor exploration. She was not amused when she got her feet wet in a puddle!

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 02:56 AM

Poor Precious - the elements are not her friends at the moment.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 09:14 AM

What lovely primulas Christinap! Does Precious walk well on her lead spanishLiz? Howie, the trees in your part of England are far more advanced than in our bit of Shropshire!

Here's a photo taken a few years ago in the Greenbay Botanical Gardens. I've been looking through old photos of our trip to USA as we're thinking of going again this year to celebrate our 30 years married.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 09:57 AM

Quote:
Does Precious walk well on her lead spanishLiz?

Most of the time, yes. She'll stride out ahead of me, but doesn't pull. Most of the time she decides where we are going smile Sometimes we are not going anywhere, just sitting and watching the world go by.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 01:28 PM

I only got Lucy as I used a cat lead for my friend's cat who I was looking after for two weeks and was only happy when he went outside. Unfortunately the pet shop didn't tell me cat leads go under the front legs as well as a neck lead won't stay on, and when Jake wriggled out and wouldn't come in again I had to get a trap and caught Lucy as well who needed a home of her own. She didn't even like a collar and managed to get them all off within days of putting them on till I gave up.

I know everyone can Streetview now but wouldn't know where the more interesting views were, this is a typical road in Highgate.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 03:21 PM

Lovely pics all so far!
Dot I think Howie took his pictures some time ago when he visited England. He lives in NZ in fact, but is a much travelled guy!
Posted by: ClaraSue

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 04:44 PM

Great photos all around. I especially like the flowers. I've been traveling up north where it's been very cold and snowing every other day. I'm looking forward to seeing some flowers for real very soon.

Here's ClaraSue playing in the snow this afternoon in northern Indiana, where it snowed yesterday and last night about 6 inches. For being an old girl, she does like to play in snow. laugh

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 05:46 PM

I love her, she always looks so positive!

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 05:49 PM

It's that big grin that makes me smile!

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 07:48 PM

Thanks Sara and Liz. She doesn't grin much these days, her arthritis bothers her, but she's always loved the snow and I knew she'd love a romp today.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 08:24 PM

Yes, I am in New Zealand and these photos were taken in 2010. I do mix them up with recent Timaru ones at times for variety. No, I do not travel much at all even though I want to....lol

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 06 2013 09:25 PM

Here's Precious, just taking it easy on her pillow.

Posted by: Copago

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 01:39 AM

hello Precious and ClaraSue!

Everyday I have to go to this tank (what you'd probably call a dam) and start that pump down at the water edge and wait for it to fill up the poly tank. I usually do it early in the morning which is worth it sometimes smile

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 05:59 AM

Wow, what a sunrise and well captured. smile

Here's some more garden art from Greenbay Botanical Gardens.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 06:00 AM

Absolutely stunning Jill.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:06 AM

Wow, that sky with reflection is incredible. Superb photo, Copago!

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 09:35 AM

Precious does look comfortable.

Gorgeous sunrise, Jill! I'd print that off and hang it in my house!

Love that garden art!

And here's the way Alex plays in the snow. laugh The deeper it is, the more fun he has. He buries his head and burrows like a groundhog, and that tail is non-stop wagging.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 12:20 PM

Love all the photos. Susie does that in snow as well, then she sort of scuttles along on her stomach, brings her head up and throws it everywhere.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 01:47 PM

Here's one of the paths I discovered when my grandparents moved to Mill Hill in 1975 and I got to know the area walking around.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 02:57 PM

On the way out of Stratford-upon-Avon we stopped at Anne Hathaway's cottage. When checking to see how much it cost to look around insided we were shocked...it cost more than an arm and a leg. Needless to say we declined and caried on to Blackburn, my friend had to then turn around and head back to Leicester.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 04:25 PM

Well she is an Oscar winner now so that has to be expected. Nice pic nevertheless.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 08:49 PM

Funny, Chavs! :P

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 10:04 PM

smile Chavs.

Here's the same sunrise - i just liked the way it was showing through the cane grass.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 07 2013 10:05 PM

I would have thought her house would have been much bigger and she could not be bothered greeting us peasants....
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 08 2013 03:27 AM

Quote:
I would have thought her house would have been much bigger and she could not be bothered greeting us peasants....

Not far from where I live there is an "Elizabethan Village" which contains a replica of Anne Hathway's cottage. I went inside it decades ago. It's surprising how small it was and how low the ceilings were but people were shorter back in those days I believe.

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 08 2013 05:48 AM

I went on a school day trip to Stratford-Upon-Avon and went into various buildings including Anne Hathaway's cottage. At about thirteen or fourteen I was too young to really appreciate such buildings so it was a bit wasted on me. We went to the theatre there too, the seats were so far back that we saw very little, I can't even remember the name of the play that we saw but it was more than fifty years ago.

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 08 2013 06:29 AM

I used to cycle to Stratford. Nice pubs.
It used to be free to go into the cottage
Ah well.
Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 08 2013 06:29 AM

No photos myself, but loving all the pictures! smile
I went to Stafford Upon Avon twice - once when the weather wasn't all that good, and once when we were in the middle of a heatwave (ten years ago, needless to say laugh ) We called to see William Shakespeare twice, and he wasn't in! frown

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 08 2013 05:42 PM

Once upon a time there was a railway line which went from Finsbury Park to Alexandra Palace. It ended in the 50s and is now a walkway, here are the old tunnels to Highgate station overground, which still has the entire station intact but not open to the public. They tried to redevelop the line in the 80s but the residents managed to keep it as it was as it provides a strip of (albeit artificial) countryside through the suburbs

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 08 2013 06:38 PM

Ivy berries. A really valuable food for over wintering birds, but you only get them if you don't cut your ivy back.

Posted by: bitterlyold

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 08 2013 08:58 PM

Do squirrels there colonize? That would be weird. Weirder still is that you'd think a tree rat would need that much square footage. I would guess a large bird. Perhaps a great horned owl?

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 08 2013 09:00 PM

Eurasian Eagle Owl? Seems the Great Horned is ours (Americas).

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 08 2013 09:12 PM

You all do put some terrific pics on here. As I am still hopelessly lost in late 20th C. technology, I have no smart phone, digital camera, etc. I still have a working 8-trak tape player, though.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 09 2013 01:27 AM

I was able to stay with friends in Blackburn too and even though it was mostly cold and wet there (typical summer) we did manage to get out a few times. Wandering through Billinge Wood at the Witton Forest Park.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 09 2013 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: bitterlyold
Do squirrels there colonize? That would be weird. Weirder still is that you'd think a tree rat would need that much square footage. I would guess a large bird. Perhaps a great horned owl?

Squirrels build quite large nests. Our neighbour had one nesting in her loft and it was amazing how much room it decided it needed. The nest was a good two feet across and about a foot high. She had to get someone to come and trap and remove it as she was worried it would chew electric cables or something like that.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 09 2013 01:27 PM

Are those rhododendrons? (sp?) The colour is beautiful - and that's a lovely photo, makes me want to walk along that path.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 09 2013 06:03 PM

I think they are Chavs - it is a great photo isn't it. I know what you mean, I want to just wander along there with Susie and enjoy the flowers.
Posted by: Popoki_Iti

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 09 2013 08:52 PM

The eagles build massive nests here - wonder if this nest belongs to a raptor? Was it taken in Essex - where I grew up?

edit:- this is in response to Christinenap's photo of a huge nest.

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 10 2013 03:58 AM

It was taken in Essex yes, about 12 miles inland from Southend. We do have one (or more) sparrowhawks round here, I've taken photos of one in the garden quite often. Could be their nest, or a crow, we have a flock of very big crows, but they tend to nest together, you get lots of their nests in one place. I shall keep an eye on it and see if I can spot what is coming and going in the Spring.

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 10 2013 07:56 AM

I do remember rookeries that looked like that
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 10 2013 08:16 AM

Alexx: gorgeous photo
Chavs: delightful daffs!
Copago: okay you, not one fabulous sunrise picture, but two??? Showoff! Just kidding, they were both wonderful!

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 10 2013 01:40 PM

Today's walk in the wood near our house. They've chopped lots of trees down over winter and made a large avenue.

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 10 2013 07:39 PM

Another one for house fans, I rarely add them now as already seen just about everything for 20 miles

Posted by: Tekka

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 11 2013 02:28 AM

Many thanks to all who post photos - I really enjoy your wonderful photos and feel as if I've been to many places around the world through your eyes. I hope that later in the spring one of you in England will post a photo of the bluebell woods. They're a favorite memory of mine when growing up over there. ~ Joy

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 11 2013 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Tekka
Many thanks to all who post photos - I really enjoy your wonderful photos and feel as if I've been to many places around the world through your eyes. I hope that later in the spring one of you in England will post a photo of the bluebell woods. They're a favorite memory of mine when growing up over there. ~ Joy

I love them too, Joy and will photograph and post some as soon as they appear. smile

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 11 2013 05:07 AM

The view from my front door earlier this morning. It is still snowing and there is a lot more to come in the next 24 hours.

This is all very inconvenient as I had a hospital dental appointment this afternoon and it has been cancelled. I have toothache and that is very dangerous for me but I cannot get to the hospital today and most likely not tomorrow either.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 11 2013 06:08 AM

Lavender fields in Jersey, till the bluebells come.
Oh dear Sue I hope it all melts quick and you can get down there sharpish. Toothache is not fun. Take care.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 11 2013 06:33 AM

That's beautiful Ren. Bet the smell was gorgeous

We have the snow as well as Jersey - daffodils in a snowstorm. The flecks over the picture are the snow coming down

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 11 2013 04:46 PM

I heard about the snow in the Channel Islands today, that was a surprise. Three signs for the price of one here.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 12:09 AM

That field of lavender is beautiful Ren, I've never seen so much grown together like that. The memory of that picture will keep with me til Dot puts ones of the bluebell woods. Thanks ladies.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 12:52 AM

Well, thank Sue for the lavender. When I went to visit the first time, she took me, almost immediately, to the lavender farm just down the road. So gorgeous and the smell is heaven to me. I bet it is suffering in the snow.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 02:42 AM

This is my garden this morning, that wall is 7'6" high!

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 03:44 AM

Gasp! I am speechless. Shades of 1947 when they had to dig my mum and I out of our ground floor flat! Amazing, Sue. Just don't go anywhere.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 04:04 AM

Sue, that's terrible. We've had overnight snow but nothing like that, must have been a real blizzard. I didn't think Channel Islands got snow to that extent. Stay warm and safe.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 04:07 AM

There are drifts all over the island, trees falling like ninepins, both the strong winds and the weight of the snow. Two people are in hospital having had a tree come down on top of them.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 12:10 PM

I've never seen a drift that high in Britain, the average depth must have been pretty phenomenal as well.

This is The Bourne in Addlestone which ends a couple of miles north in the Thames

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 12:19 PM

That's pretty

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 01:32 PM

View from by the Menai Suspension bridge.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 01:46 PM

The two people that I mentioned both have broken their backs. So sad.
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 12 2013 06:18 PM

That's awful, Sue - I hope they make as good a recovery as possible.

These are from a couple of years ago at Coton Manor, I hope Joy likes them:

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 13 2013 01:59 AM

Oh, I just love it Flopsy, what a gorgeous picture, the lighting is awesome through the trees. I just feel I could just go right inside this scene. I have a couple of framed pictures of bluebell woods on my bedroom wall but this is way better. Thank you so much for posting it, you've made my day:-)

Sorry to hear of all of the rough weather you're all having in Britain - saw it on the news this evening and it also mentioned how bad it was on Jersey.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 13 2013 04:16 AM

That's gorgeous flopsy. Sadly there aren't as many bluebell woods around as there were in my youth.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 13 2013 06:54 AM

Not the neatest path on the estate but at least if the postie and paperboy attempt to deliver they can't leave my house as being inaccessible. I started clearing by using a watering can from inside my garage door until I had melted enough snow to start clearing it by shovel and brush. I only worked on it for five minutes and couldn't be bothered to make it neat and tidy, nor wider than essential. The sun is now shining onto the drive so it will thaw faster. Temperature out there is now about 6C.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 13 2013 10:28 AM

I just found some more archives I hadn't scanned, these are the Bauhaus dormitory buildings in Dartington school (closed since the 80s) where we stayed every year, this was taken in the early 80s.

Posted by: tellywellies

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 13 2013 11:03 AM

This Amaryllis isn't as photogenic as the last one we had (a red one). It is a job to capture all of the subtle shades the flower has. A nice plant nonetheless. The two stems peaked at different times. That's why some flowers are gone from the shorter one:

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 13 2013 03:23 PM

Quote:
It is a job to capture all of the subtle shades the flower has.
Sure is! I've tried before and failed miserably.

But you've made a beautiful photograph there!

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 14 2013 12:48 AM

Cruising on the Liverpool-Leeds Canal in Blackburn. They have just reached one of the locks so time to drop to a lower level.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 14 2013 01:22 PM

More archives, this is the steam train at Wallingford station in 1998, probably the one I had just got off.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 14 2013 10:24 PM

"Amarilleth! Amarilleth!"

Beautiful flower, nice pic.

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 15 2013 05:07 AM

Well something can be said for the snow, it has done a brilliant job of cleaning cars, many cars are absolutely gleaming including mine.

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 15 2013 07:32 PM

Cheaper than the car wash, and it's done a wonderful job.

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 15 2013 09:30 PM

Nothing very exciting this week, here's a straight road in Addlestone. They're so rare in Britain I take as many as I can as a collection.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 16 2013 07:05 PM

Down she goes....

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 16 2013 07:09 PM

That's great, Howie. I love locks! You certainly got about while you were in UK!

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 16 2013 07:22 PM

West End of Glasgow. I took a bittersweet visit to my university there on Thursday to finally collect my official Alexandrian Society (the classics society I was part of as a student) hoodie. That's the main building of the university (Gilbert Scott Building) you can see in the background.

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 17 2013 03:26 AM

I have a feeling Howie may have seen more of the UK than many of us who live here!

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 17 2013 04:27 AM

No,I have not seen much lol

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 17 2013 07:50 AM

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 17 2013 03:31 PM

That looks like the Shakespeare theatre to me. Here's a Docklands Light Railway train at Deptford Bridge station in 2001.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 18 2013 02:08 AM

Successfully emerging at the other end to continue on the journey of cruising on the Liverpool-Leeds Canal.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 18 2013 05:06 PM

It took me 40 years to cover the amount of Britain you did Howie, but covered 10 US states in three weeks in 1980, as you can only do it when you're there if abroad. This is a typical English scene in Windsor.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 18 2013 07:53 PM

How does one cover 10 states three weeks? Which states? And what did you see?

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 18 2013 09:31 PM

I saw at least part of three states (NY, Massachusetts, Vermont) in three days last summer, so ten in three weeks seems very reasonable.

Spring is supposed to arrive here in a couple of days - so why does it look like this outside my window tonight?

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 19 2013 09:36 AM

It's not officially a photo thread issue, but since you ask wink

Day one, arrived in New York, spent a few days there before flying to Niagara Falls (and another country on top as we had a coach trip on the Canadian side), then the bus to Chicago staying en route, then after staying there a while for family business carried on to Cincinnati where we flew to DC and then the coach back to Manhattan via Philadelphia. It was very interesting seeing so much and meeting so many of my grandparent's friends (they had a music business and went there for a convention) but was worn out before the end. I decided as it was my first time there not to take the camera as all I'd do was take photos and not actually look at everywhere as it was rather than keeping records, and let my grandpa do that side for me.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 19 2013 10:06 AM

And this is back in the UK, Old Windsor

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 19 2013 04:57 PM

Anyone else having a problem with photobucket - I keep getting the website cannot be found message.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 19 2013 05:01 PM

No problems here. I've just uploaded a pic that I'm about to post in the Weekly Themes thread with no problem.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 19 2013 06:48 PM

Seems to be working for me now.

Not as bad as what Liz has, but this was the view from my back door this morning, two days before the start of Spring.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 20 2013 12:29 PM

More houses from Hampstead Garden Suburb, on the edge of Hampstead Heath

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 20 2013 08:52 PM

Now it is time to leave Blackburn. There was a little worry as my travel agent mentioned I had to be checked in at Manchester Airport 2 hours before the flight but the train from Blackburn would not get there in time... However a quick phone call to British Airways and I only had to be there 30 minutes before the flight as I was connecting at Heathrow so the first leg was classified as a domestic flight. All was sorted so off I went with a train connection at Bolton. Anyway, this is just after take-off at Heathrow on the way to.....a mysterious place which shall be revealed in the near future. I doubt anyone can guess where...:)

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 20 2013 09:03 PM

Windsor Castle? Eton College? Ascot?

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 20 2013 09:47 PM

Next up is a place that is not in the UK but still in Europe

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 20 2013 11:47 PM

Eire?

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 21 2013 09:47 AM

Paris?

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 21 2013 01:03 PM

Well those are almost certainly the gravel pits by the M4 near Heston wherever it's heading.

This is more a technical query than anything else, as every now and again a non-standard sign turns up which appears genuine but not in the literature. Being on a public road as these are (one on each side) they almost definitely are, but without a red circle on top they weren't binding, but advisory. But if anyone else has seen one it would fill in some information. The Google view showed them in the proper place, but months after when I found them the bracket's come loose and they are sitting at the base of the pole. I was very lucky they were there at all considering.

Posted by: TabbyTom

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 21 2013 01:41 PM

Quote:
Next up is a place that is not in the UK but still in Europe

One of the Channel Islands ?

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 21 2013 01:45 PM

No correct guesses yet though still 2 or 3 more photos from the plane before we get there.
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 21 2013 09:44 PM

Maximum speed of 5mph? Most people can walk faster than that. smile

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 22 2013 01:53 AM

Another view just after take off from Heathrow

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 22 2013 06:19 AM

Today just after the snow plough passed through.

Posted by: CmdrK

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 22 2013 06:43 AM

I see things are no different in the UK than here - put the junk in the garage and leave the cars out in the weather.

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 22 2013 07:50 AM

Originally Posted By: CmdrK
I see things are no different in the UK than here - put the junk in the garage and leave the cars out in the weather.

True! laugh

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 22 2013 08:17 AM

You mean cars are supposed to go in that unheated room that I have? So where will I store all my junk?
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 22 2013 11:16 AM

There's so much car in my garage that I can't get any junk in! I must be doing things backwards ...

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 22 2013 12:33 PM

Get a double garage, that way you get room for one car and a load of junk

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 23 2013 03:25 AM

Now there's an idea! I'll just start working on the "other half", in about twenty years he might be willing to move grin Or else get rid of some car! We own three and have a fourth company car, but there are only two of us who drive! I think it's time the juniors started taking lessons ...

In the meantime my solution is to not hoard the junk! Unfortunately I live with a hoarder and my daughter is following in his footsteps *sniff*

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 23 2013 04:32 AM

Today's snow and still it snows!!

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 23 2013 04:43 AM

That looks picture-postcard perfect, Dotb (but I'm glad we don't have it over here) smile

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 23 2013 06:46 AM

Last year on 24th March it was like a midsummer's day almost, the temperature was 21.2C and people were on the beach.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 23 2013 12:22 PM

That's a fabulous photo Dot.

Sue - don't remind me. Hasn't made over 0 here all day.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 23 2013 01:00 PM

It has been about 13C here today, very Spring-like. Posing people driving convertables with the tops down!

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 23 2013 05:51 PM

A little of the English countryside as the clouds parted. Again it is not long after take-off from Heathrow heading to a mystery city.

A pleasant 25 degrees here yesterday, not bad for autumn smile

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 23 2013 07:23 PM

I envy you being able to get such lovely shots out of the plane's window. It seems like I can never get shots like that because I am always seated where there is an obstruction, like over the wing, or in the middle of the plane. Or the window is dirty or crazed. And I never think ahead of time to ask for a different seat allocation as I really don't care where I sit. smilee

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 23 2013 07:51 PM

We have some really potty speed limits here, and now they're working on normal roads to reduce the speeds since the government changed the law to allow it even more. If a road's narrow and winding people slow down accordingly (in the country many are 60mph but no one would unless it was safe) but in towns it's getting beyond all reason on perfectly good roads.

These awful places are popping up all over the country, if you haven't seen a Big Yellow Storage now you can.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 25 2013 12:55 AM

The last view before reaching the new country - crossing the coastline somewhere but I am not sure exactly where in England.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 25 2013 04:36 AM

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 25 2013 09:34 AM

That's very, very pretty, Dot! The church is just perfect.

Howie, wonderful aeriel(sp?) shots.

No snow here but it feels cold enough. The birds are begging for food.

(Don't worry, I gave them some.)

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 25 2013 10:19 AM

I had the birds in mind when I put out some bread this morning, but I don't mind this little grey squirrel having some too.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Mar 25 2013 06:59 PM

That is a fabulous photo Dot. We've been lucky, our snow has been nothing like as bad.

A sudden 15 minute blizzard left everything looking very pretty, but I'll be glad to see the back of it now.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 26 2013 03:44 AM

Before we reach the next country...here are the butterflies and the bee from 2 or 3 days ago. The white is the closest to snow I have at the moment... smile

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 26 2013 04:10 AM

Very nice to see that Howie. Is that blackthorn blossom, looks very like it

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 26 2013 04:39 AM

I have no idea what it is, something that appeared in the garden and it is blossoming in autumn.

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 26 2013 07:34 AM

Not blackthorn, wrong leaves. Could it be a Philadelphus?

Re: Marching on! - Tue Mar 26 2013 08:25 AM

Must be a butterfly tree. I would like one.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 27 2013 10:24 AM

I feel so awful; it's been almost a month since I've checked in on the photos! I could give all kinds of excuses, but I won't. laugh So many wonderful photos: snow, flowers, gorgeous scenery! I love them all.

I must introduce you to a new family member. This is Brandy Noel, my parents new puppy. She's 11 weeks old and is an English Lab and is smart as a whip! Being so young, it was hard to get a photo of her sitting still.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 27 2013 10:49 AM

Still snowing here. frown

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 27 2013 10:58 AM

What a sweet puppy

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 27 2013 11:51 AM

Beautiful puppy!

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 27 2013 12:44 PM

Brandy is goooorgeouuus!!!

Despite the cold and the wintry air, spring is springing, and my tulips are finally beginning to grow. I expect the first one to flower by the weekend:

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 27 2013 02:37 PM

That is gorgeous Toni

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 27 2013 04:10 PM

Lovely photo, Toni! And Brandy is just beautiful laugh

Busy busy busy here so no photos from me for a while but I do love looking at everyone elses.

Re: Marching on! - Wed Mar 27 2013 06:54 PM

Beautiful puppy, so cute. Looks intelligent - trouble looking for somewhere to happen at that age.

Lovely tulip - mine are still only just above ground. The cold has effectively stopped everything in it's tracks.

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 28 2013 01:11 AM

A closer view...

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 28 2013 04:25 AM

It certainly looks like philadelphus to me, is it scented?

Re: Marching on! - Thu Mar 28 2013 02:58 PM

There's been a lovely range of photos this month. The puppy is gorgeous! I love the flowers (all of them, what a lovely variety there are and I especially appreciate them here because even the tiny shoots we had here are buried beneath about a foot of snow at the moment. That is a super butterfly! Is it really that big or is it the camera angle? Nice picture of Precious relaxing too, oh and the kangaroo!

A nice variety indeed. smile

Still the same old snow for us.

Re: Marching on! - Fri Mar 29 2013 12:41 PM

Wow, nice shot of the butterfly, Howie!

Salt beds near the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 30 2013 06:36 AM

That's where they do the land speed records isn't it?

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 30 2013 07:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Christinap
That's where they do the land speed records isn't it?

They certainly DID to them there but the latest one which is being prepared for now will be in South Africa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20879518

I was listening to an interview on the radio last week about it and for some reason it is not suitable now to do it in the US, they did say why but I didn't take a lot of notice, but they found a site in SA which had a road running through it and lots of stones, the road and stones have been removed in readiness.

Edit - Right, a search has brought up the reason, and sort of ties in with what I thought they said on BBC and that is that weather conditions over the years has made it unsuitable.

This site gives all the planning etc for the next attempt including the search for a suitable location.

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/project/adventure/desert-race-track/desert-selection-phase-2

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 30 2013 01:18 PM

Thank you Sue, that's really interesting. Personally I find the thought of breaking the sound barrier on land quite frightening.

Some years ago I recall seeing Thrust2, the then record holding vehicle. It was at the opening of a new B&Q superstore of all things. Must dig through the photo albums and see if I can find the photos I took of it and scan them.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 30 2013 01:50 PM

Today's walk shows that lots of snow has melted overnight!

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 30 2013 04:37 PM

The mystery country photos will begin in April so another butterfly first. I may have already posted this one so apologies if I have. It is the common copper butterfly, a lot smaller than the previous monarch butterfly.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 30 2013 05:01 PM

Lovely butterfly!

Precious has been posing for me quite a bit the last few days, so here's her close-up!

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 30 2013 05:05 PM

That is a great photo of Precious. Love her expression, she looks like she is in deep contemplation of the mysteries of the Universe. Either that or wondering where her dinner is!

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 30 2013 10:44 PM

Thanks, Sue. I did not know that about the Salt Flats. I think they still have races out there each year for fun though.

That IS a very nice photo of Precious.

The Road Less Traveled. We were headed north to Utah and the highway was closed due to a sinkhole that formed a couple of months ago. We were detoured off onto an alternate highway that had some colorful mountains. This is in northern Arizona near the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument.

Re: Marching on! - Sat Mar 30 2013 11:45 PM

Clara Sue that is so lovely!
Liz, how come I can never get Rosie to pose so elegantly?

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 31 2013 06:57 AM

Ha ha! Lovely photo of Rosie, Ren! Cats were once worshiped as gods by the ancient Egyptians and they have never forgotten it! smile

The snow is thawing a pace here as you can see by the ford...

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 31 2013 07:24 AM

Just look at the state of that tarmac Dot, time for a resurfacing.

Re: Marching on! - Sun Mar 31 2013 11:02 AM

Quote:
Liz, how come I can never get Rosie to pose so elegantly?

I think that Precious is just a natural ham - I can almost hear her say "I'm ready for my close-up!" smile

Re: Marching on! - Mon Apr 01 2013 06:15 AM

Oops, Dot, that road looks pretty sorry for itself.

Here's the cyclamen which is brightening up an otherwise gloomy spot on the north side of my garden:

Re: Marching on! - Mon Apr 01 2013 09:15 AM

Just about to change to April, just a warning.

Re: Marching on! - Mon Apr 01 2013 04:52 PM

Quote:
how come I can never get Rosie to pose so elegantly?

You should have posted this in the "Open" thread ( laugh )