New Thread for June

Posted by: ren33

New Thread for June - Fri May 31 2013 05:31 PM

Welcome to June, all!
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: New Thread for June - Fri May 31 2013 06:34 PM

Real English bluebells in a real English wood.

Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: New Thread for June - Fri May 31 2013 10:54 PM

That's a wonderful colour palette flopsymopsy!

Given that June 1 marks the start of winter here in Oz (I don't know why we don't use solstices and equinoxes - perhaps a future AskFT question!), here's a photo from a couple of hours ago from our front garden. It's definitely an old and new thing - new rose bloom but leaves dying back. We had a large thunderstorm overnight which added a nice touch of moisture.

Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: New Thread for June - Fri May 31 2013 11:22 PM

Quote:
Real English bluebells in a real English wood.

Wow - it's so perfect it looks like a postcard!
Posted by: Howie72

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 01 2013 03:45 AM

Another boring scene from the Kaikoura Coast, this time looking at South Bay from the lookout at Kaikoura. This is where the whale watching boats leave from. Kaikoura township itself is on the north side of the Kaikoura Peninsula and this area is famous for crayfish. If you are unlucky I may be able to find a photo of the peninsula taken from a plane window a couple of years ago. smile

Posted by: Dotb

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 01 2013 10:21 AM

I don't think that scene is boring Howie!

Here are some Anglesey ponies.

Posted by: satguru

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 01 2013 02:31 PM

Most town centre old bank buildings are now pubs, here's one in Wimbledon

Posted by: CmdrK

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 01 2013 02:54 PM

The New Hampshire State Veterans Cemetery is near where I live. I went there today for the first time. This is one of the smaller areas there.

Posted by: ClaraSue

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 02 2013 07:02 AM

Wow, June is off to a great start. Nice photos everyone! Flopsy, that does look like a post card; beautiful! Sat, that looks like a pub I'd check out!

June 1 is my father's birthday. He didn't want a cake, so ice cream cupcakes it is! They were yummy!

Posted by: sue943

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 02 2013 08:22 AM

Yummy indeed.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 02 2013 02:37 PM

Clara Sue they look lovely cakes. Cemeterey's are sad places at any time but when they are mostly young men (and women) they pull at the heart strings don't they? Satguru, that building looks like the one that used to be District Bank in my old hometown...many moons ago. smile

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 02 2013 02:45 PM

When I was on holiday in Crete some years ago I visited a British War Cemetery and it was heartbreaking, all those very young men (WWII). I just had to leave after the first couple of rows, most of them were younger than my son.
Posted by: Chavs

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 02 2013 03:25 PM

Mike, that rose is just dripping with atmosphere, lovely.

Flopsymopsy, that's a scene straight out of a fairytale book - so idyllic.

Fox cubs are still with me, looking a lot more foxy now, but still tiny. I see why they are called kits, they are very like kittens in most ways, rather than puppies. They have chosen a regular bed, it's the garden cuttings bag, I suppose the composting is making it warm and it's well hidden. This pic gives you an idea of their size with fairly standard sized red bricks beside them.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 03:59 AM

Still at the Kaikoura Lookout but this time looking down on Kaikoura with the Pacific Ocean and the Seaward Kaikoura Ranges.

Posted by: Santana2002

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 04:47 AM

Am loving your foxy cubs, Chavs!
And those ice cream cupcake do look very delicious!

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 12:36 PM

That's a traditional town centre bank, still with bank carved over the door. I suppose as long as there's a branch within a couple of miles we'll manage, but that doesn't always happen now, but better than post offices which can now be well over a mile away in some of the suburbs here.

A tradtitional cottage in Haslemere

Posted by: Christinap

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 04:32 PM

A little group of aqualegias - my Mum always called these granny's bonnets.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 04:53 PM

Posted by: spanishliz

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 05:58 PM

Great shot Chavs! I love the granny's bonnets, too, and the fox cubs are darling!

After a couple of hot, humid days over the weekend the weather today is fresh and pleasant with a nice breeze. Precious enjoyed her walk in the somewhat-longer-than-it-should-be grass.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 06:47 PM

And very pretty she looks as well.

Chavs, that is a wonderful photo.
Posted by: martin_cube

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 07:15 PM

I heard some noises in the back garden tonight and found these young lovers getting to know
each other. Very carefully...

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 07:22 PM

Great catch, Martin!
Posted by: Tekka

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 03 2013 10:03 PM

What a great beginning to the month of June:)
Flopsy, thank you so much for that gorgeous shot of the bluebells in the wood, that's just how I remember them.
Howie, your photos of your country are never boring - I always appreciate seeing them.
Chavs, that is such an exquisite photo of the butterfly and your baby fox cubs are darling.
Christina, love the aqualegia, so typical of an English country garden!
Martin, great shot, would love to see a real hedgehog again as we don't have them here.
Satguru, I always enjoy your many views of good old England!!
Spanishliz, Precious obviously loves being a model for your photos. She's gorgeous!

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 04 2013 04:53 AM

Another view from the Kaikora lookout. A small boat coming in past the rocks and the calmness of the Pacific Ocean gave me hope of a calm ferry crossing of Cook Strait the next day.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 04 2013 12:34 PM

And one more, this was an old American truck going to cater an event going through Chiddingfold, but you can only see the back end here.

Posted by: tellywellies

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 04 2013 02:33 PM

New life on the canal:

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 04 2013 04:28 PM

That's lovely. I love this time of year with all the new life everywhere.

My poppies are looking good at the moment.

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 05 2013 05:23 PM

One of the ponds in Richmond Park

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 06 2013 01:37 AM

Another view from the Kaikoura lookout, closer view of the Seaward Kaikoura Ranges and the dusting of snow. If taken this week there would be a lot more snow, even the foothills inland of Timaru have a good covering at the moment.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 06 2013 05:46 AM

This little fellow is a corella, a type of Australian cockatoo. I spotted him in a local park while I was on my way to visit a friend.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 06 2013 08:41 AM

I work near this castle.

Posted by: tellywellies

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 06 2013 03:30 PM

More new life on the canal:

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 07 2013 05:33 AM

The last of the Kaikoura lookout photos showing how flat the Pacific Ocean was.

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 07 2013 11:43 AM

A flat field between Braintree and Dunmow. I took a few more but the focus button on the new camera doesn't always do as it's meant to, so this was the only one I could use.

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 07 2013 11:58 AM

Lovely field, Sat. Looks almost like the fields that I saw in Indiana last week.

Here's a farm house and field at sunset in Northeastern Indiana.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 08 2013 03:54 AM

As threatened, a view of the Kaikoura Peninsula from above (taken in February 2011), looking a little brown and dry.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 09 2013 11:35 AM

It is rather brown; I'm assuming it's usually pretty green? Cool aerial, though.

Arizona Dust Devil.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 09 2013 04:45 PM

I was, earlier in the year, a bit worried about how my roses would cope with the terrible winter we had, especially given they were new last year. However, it appears that they thrived on it.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 09 2013 05:13 PM

Blooming great! Do they have much scent?

Close up of an iris.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 09 2013 05:45 PM

That is a wonderful photo Chavs. love it.

Yes, the roses have a lot of scent. They are David Austin ones. He breeds old fashioned roses, so they have all the scent, but on modern disease resistant root stock. They will flower, in abundance, all summer long now they've started.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 09 2013 06:50 PM

One of the first direction signs in Britain, still doing its job and would be perfect with a coat of paint on top. These fingerposts aren't covered by the changes in 1964 so are still part of the official system.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 10 2013 12:26 AM

I shall be passing through Essex in about 2 weeks so will sniff the air, Christina!
This might be a good time to say that I am taking a little trip to UK to see an old bat and a few rellies. Jill and Leo will be here in case I am not in a civilised area, so be good. I leave on Sunday 16th and will be back in HK 10th July.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 10 2013 02:19 AM

Have a wonderful time Ren. If you're anywhere near Southend let me know and we'll have a cup of tea somewhere (have car, will travel)

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 10 2013 03:40 AM

Afternoon siesta on the rocks at Ohau Point on the Kaikoura Coast.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 10 2013 10:13 AM

Lovely photos this month as always. Here's one from our day out on the Llyn Peninsula (again). You're probably getting fed up with these! Sorry I just love the view.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 10 2013 05:22 PM

Not fed up with them at all Dot. Love seeing views of places I haven't been to.

Something a little different from my garden. Home made agility course for Susie. Just flower pots and broomsticks with netting poles for the weave poles. Put it up and take it down in about five minutes, but she absolutely loves it. Looking to make a hoop jump with broomsticks and an old hula hoop as well.

Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 10 2013 09:00 PM

I've been busy for the last few months and though I've been following all the photo threads regularly, haven't had time to post. I'm back now. smile

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 10 2013 09:12 PM

and welcome back Sharon We were about to send out a search party!
Lovely lovely shots so far everyone. I would love to see Susie being agile on her course! Dot, gorgeous as always . Thanks all.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 11 2013 01:47 PM

Ditto if you're anywhere near Kingsbury Sara, I know you'll be busy all over the place so won't try and pin you down!

For other road fans, this is Amersham Road in Gerrards Cross

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 11 2013 04:05 PM

My veg plot is coming along quite nicely after a slow start this year.

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 12 2013 03:02 AM

I can make it, I can make it, I can make it.....am I there yet?

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 12 2013 06:49 AM

Part of the Welsh coastal path.

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 12 2013 10:10 AM

A private road which can be used as a short cut between Denham and Gerrards Cross but wouldn't recommend it.

Posted by: Copago

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 12 2013 10:23 PM

awww at the seal smile

I have just been to a scout camp in South Australia and this made me think of Sara ...

[/URL]

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 01:15 AM

Awww! Tell me about why its called that. Tin Mines? China Clay? Gorgeous Pasties? Best cream in the world? Lovely beaches? Surfing? Handsomest men in the world? Heavenly views? Stargazy Pie? Mackerel? Mullet? Lobster? The handsomest Cornishman ever

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 01:38 AM

Apparently it was settled by the Cornish way back when ... it is on the coast and has lots of seafood, lovely beaches but not really surf. They take it very seriously with lots of Cornish flags flying in businesses and on private homes .. there was even a bloke on a gopher that had a little flag on his warning pole. Cornish pasties advertised in every café (of which there were plenty), Copper mines (the whole area was called the Copper Coast) ummmm, not sure what else .. oh! The Cornwall Pub laugh

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 07:34 AM

The sea behind and mountains ahead.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 07:38 AM

Quote:
..there was even a bloke on a gopher that had a little flag on his warning pole.

I'd love to see a photo of this, but suspect it won't match the image in my mind! wink

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 11:31 AM

Mine neither!

A litle while ago I posted a photo of Susie and said I was entering her into a prettiest bitch photo competition - well - the clever little darling won it! Can't tell you how chuffed I am. here's a photo of her rosette and bag of treats she got as a prize.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 03:32 PM

LOL!!!
This is what I'd call a gopher ..

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/huntingda...oter/1011641474

I'm going to guess not everyone calls them that then? wink

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 03:39 PM

The gopher I was thinking of looks more like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Urocitellus_columbianus_Alberta_Martybugs.jpg

I think we call your sort of gopher a scooter? I should know, really, there are enough of them on my street!

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 03:52 PM

Talk to Sue. She rents out gophers to tourists.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 04:14 PM

Does she call them "gophers"? smile

Here's my pic .. at this camp there was lots of teenagers ... and mobile phones.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 06:16 PM

No, they are Shopmobility scooters.
Any student at our school who wants to charge their gadget has to contribute to the SPCA. The box is looking nice and full.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 07:06 PM

Latton Common at the south side of Harlow

Posted by: ertrum

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 08:02 PM

Zorba, is that Santorini?

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 13 2013 08:58 PM

Yes, Ertrum. In my rush, I forgot to post that. smile

Beautiful photos of Wales and England, Dotb and Satguru. Congrats, Christinap! I'm not surprised Susie won. smile

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 14 2013 01:49 AM

An experiment using the flash while taking a photo of a fountain. Came out OK I thought...

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 14 2013 03:35 AM

Shopmobility is the name of the charity in the UK, and here, which loans or rents out scooters and wheelchairs etc, they are just called mobility scooters.

I think if anyone used the word gopher here it would refer to a person who does errands, they go for this and go for that. Perhaps a junior member of staff.

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 14 2013 03:53 AM

Gandalf finding reading is very relaxing....

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 14 2013 04:23 AM

What was it "War and Peace" - he looks worn out with the effort whatever it was.

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 14 2013 07:53 AM

Purrsuasion?

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 14 2013 11:31 AM

A Tale of Two Kitties?

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 14 2013 11:36 AM

Hen pheasant visiting the garden - hoping she may have chicks tucked up in the undergrowth somewhere that we might get to see

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 14 2013 06:24 PM

Industrial buildings in Harlow. Despite the clouds the rain held off.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 15 2013 03:36 AM

The Moonta Scout Hall smile (otherwise known as Motel Moonta last weekend.)

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 15 2013 10:25 AM

The green in Sawbridgeworth

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 15 2013 03:02 PM

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 15 2013 04:04 PM

And the winner for competition of how many starlings can you get on a bird feeder before they start falling off is...

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 15 2013 07:46 PM

My red roses have popped in the last couple of days! smile (Still waiting for the pink ones.)

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 15 2013 11:03 PM

Lovely, Liz!

Here was our excitement last week. After years of umming and ahhing and organising we finally got some drillers in to put a bore down at the house. The end result was a brilliant supply of water but there were a few worries along the way. The driller said that everything that happened has happened to him once or twice before .. just not all on the same day. crazy

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 16 2013 02:42 AM

These rocks make a good back scratcher smile

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 16 2013 08:25 AM

I just can't help myself!

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 16 2013 11:07 AM

hahaha Sue! Great choice of a photo!

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 16 2013 11:08 AM

Loooove the starlings, Christinap, and Copago, I can only imagine how the installation of a bore hole for you must be a really big thing! Very impressive looking machinery in any case!

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 16 2013 12:10 PM

Many years ago in the property that I lived in with my ex we had to have a borehole sunk, they went down about 130 feet I think. How far did you have to go down?

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 16 2013 01:52 PM

This narrow boat is now being used as ferry in Bristol docks. A good way to beat the traffic!

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 16 2013 02:06 PM

Looks like you've been preparing to watch Blue Peter Sue.

The old centre of Sawbridgeworth

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 16 2013 04:30 PM

I really like this petunia. The colour is so vibrant just a few of them give a quick lift to a bed.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 17 2013 01:46 AM

They are a beautiful colour.

The bore ended up being 132 metres (433 feet) which is about what we expected based on another bore on the property but we can pump from about 8 metres down as the water has come up that far which is great.
Every 3 metres they put a bit of a sample out so they can see what sort of ground they're going through so I think I took this after the first morning.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 17 2013 02:30 AM

What an amazing colour range Jill.

I might have to try that ferry at the weekend Martin, if it is close enough.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 17 2013 04:00 PM

An industrial estate in Harlow

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 17 2013 04:04 PM

Oh, are you coming to Bristol Sue? It would be nice to meet up for a cup of tea or something.
The ferry leaves from the city centre near the Watershed complex - number 1 on the map:
http://bristolferry.com/ferryService.php

(Other ferry services may be available...)

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 01:05 AM

The final result of the bore, shown off by our model, Jinx ... with any luck next week we will have the pump to put down so we can actually get the water out! And pretty much then the work begins as we have an 8km pipeline to put off it.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 01:56 AM

Martin, Sara and I are flying to Bristol on Friday late afternoon then Sara will be heading for Gloucester and I will be heading for the Temple Meads Ibis, I will be going home Monday late afternoon. Sunday is the reason for the trip, I am going to a parchment craft exhibition at Brunel Old Station. Meeting up could be an option.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 02:01 AM

This will be the last of the Ohau Point seal photos - a mother and pup reunion. smile

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 02:49 AM

Awww.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 04:44 AM

I've loved all the seal pictures, Howie. Thanks for putting them up.

I've loved everyone's birds too - always nice to see the babies!

Copago, please give the gorgeous Jinx a ruffly pat on the head from me.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: sue943
Martin, Sara and I are flying to Bristol on Friday late afternoon then Sara will be heading for Gloucester and I will be heading for the Temple Meads Ibis, I will be going home Monday late afternoon. Sunday is the reason for the trip, I am going to a parchment craft exhibition at Brunel Old Station. Meeting up could be an option.

Sunday afternoon/evening would be best for me (though I might be a bit hungover). Saturdays are especially busy as I have my weekly shopping to do plus I visit my brother who's still in hospital, recovering from a major operation last month. In the evening, I go to a pub which features live local bands & don't get home till late. (Disgusting, at my age! cool ) As I don't drive, I'm dependant on Bristol's patchy bus service. crazy
I'm sure there must be a cafe near the Brunel Old Station, I'll look into it.
I'll PM you with my mobile number.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 11:41 AM

Oh ren, I've only just clicked on your link to the most handsome Cornishman ever, and I have to say, I agree with you! Fabulous photo!

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 01:24 PM

That's my Dad!

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 02:16 PM

A family of cattle in Claygate

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 03:28 PM

A busy bee

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 03:36 PM

Indeed it is! Follow it, and demand your share of honey from the beekeeper!

Satguru, lovely landscape composition, like a painting. smile

Ren, he's a terribly handsome fellow! (Nearly as gorgeous as my dad wink )

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 05:28 PM

About five doors down from us Chavs! They sell honey at the gate as well as eggs

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 05:51 PM

How great! Do you live in an Alison Uttley book? smile

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 06:31 PM

No unfortunately, just in an area of Essex that still has countryside, but is only a couple of miles from the nearest town. Best of both worlds really. A couple of our neighbours keep chickens and sell eggs, one also has a few sheep, we have a couple of beekeepers as well.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 18 2013 08:49 PM

Wow! He looks better than a movie star, Ren. smile

Venetian Castle at the harbour in Heraklion, Crete.

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 19 2013 11:05 AM

Can you resist the temptation to try to blow the seeds off this dandelion?

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 19 2013 11:24 AM

That's a great shot Martin.

Now this is what I call just plain cheeky - nicking food from the bird table

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 19 2013 02:19 PM

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 19 2013 02:38 PM

I love my mummy...

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 19 2013 06:42 PM

That's lovely. Is that Jersey Zoo Sue?

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 20 2013 01:52 AM

Yes, we went on Tuesday and saw this baby and also got a glimpse of one of the baby orangutans but I didn't get any decent photos of the one mum who came down briefly. The mum of the newest baby (last week) stayed in a very high nest.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 20 2013 05:04 PM

A fairly perfect rosebud

Posted by: CmdrK

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 20 2013 06:15 PM

This is Kaiser. He belongs to my daughter and son-in-law. He says he heard there was someone around here named Susie who he might like to meet.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 20 2013 07:14 PM

He is gorgeous - Susie would definitely like to meet him.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 20 2013 09:28 PM

Sweet mother and child photo! Kaiser is a doll, and that rosebud is gorgeous!

This was my lunch today, enjoyed at an antique-filled restaurant located on the upper floor of an old cannery. There's an antique store on the main floor, so plenty to keep one happy smile

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 20 2013 09:30 PM

One of the many train tunnels along the Kaikoura Coast (a superb train ride on the Coastal Pacific). This one at Ohau Point on the other side of State Higway One to the seals. Just a couple of metres to the right is where you look down at the seals.

Posted by: Plodd

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 21 2013 10:57 AM

I came across this unusual statue in the heart of Guildford, Surrey. "Alice Through the Looking Glass" has been placed directly behind the home where Lewis Carroll wrote some of his classics, and then later died.

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 21 2013 11:21 AM

That's really clever, although perhaps a little bit creepy.

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 21 2013 07:06 PM

Nearly 10pm on the longest day

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 21 2013 11:30 PM

Inside the Palace of Knossos complex, Crete

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 12:16 AM

Lunch looks yummy, Liz smile
Not sure what to think of the statue either!

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 12:41 AM

Was trying to get a photo of Jinx and her new coat.
I gave up.
grin

[/URL]

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 10:38 AM

they've ruined the woods near my house. Chopped down over 70 trees to put a path through. frown

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 11:26 AM

Why do they do things like that? I'm sure people were quite happy to just ramble through the woods without any defined path. It'll look better when the bare bits grow grass and some wild flowers next year, less stark.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 12:09 PM

Oh, such great and wonderful photos this month. I've been so frustrated lately. It seems every time I log on, my signal is so bad that I can see what everybody is writing but I'm not getting any of the photos. Finally got to see the last few weeks of photos today.

This storm we were headed into the other day was a little scary. Thankfully, by the time we got there, it was mostly just a few drops of rain and a little wind.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 03:37 PM

That is one scary looking storm.

My rose arch tha I put in last year to replace the old apple tree that fell down is coming along nicely now. Should be completely covered by the end of this season

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 03:44 PM

Sheep ^*$%. Lots of it. There's another pile around the other side too.
For eighteen years the sheep have been going through that shed a couple of times a year and when they 'go' it goes through the grating and collects underneath so I've taken it upon myself to clear it all out. I'm up to about 400 wheelbarrow loads now. crazy [/URL]

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 03:52 PM

Umm, is there any practical use for this - fertiliser or something, or is it just a big heap of....
Posted by: TabbyTom

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 04:16 PM

You could come over here and drop the lot on Maiden Castle in Dorset. I visited it about twenty years ago and all I remember of it is a carpet of sheep droppings.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 05:06 PM

Yes, I used to live not far from there, and it was always like that, a few more tons wouldn't make a lot of difference.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 22 2013 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Christinap
Umm, is there any practical use for this - fertiliser or something, or is it just a big heap of....

Pretty much it's just a big pile! What happens is the sheep go into the shed and once they're shorn they go down a chute and walk out into those yards you see at the back so with all the years of crap there it was getting too low for them to walk out properly.

We hope to put in a lawn when it warms up so will use a small fraction of it on that and in the vege garden and that's about it! When the other half gets around to it he'll shift it with a loader.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 23 2013 02:27 AM

A quick photo out the window while going over the Clarence River, a little north of Kaikoura.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 23 2013 03:11 PM

The supermoon in one of the brief moments it came out from behind the clouds.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 23 2013 03:22 PM

Great photo - I wanted one but it was too cloudy here to get a good shot.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 23 2013 04:06 PM

We had the male and female pheasant out together this morning, which doesn't happen often.

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 23 2013 04:26 PM

Quote:
Great photo - I wanted one but it was too cloudy here to get a good shot.

Ditto!

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 24 2013 02:53 AM

Another view of the moon - on a cold frosty night of June 24th.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 24 2013 05:39 AM

Somebody yarn-bombed the trees in a neighbouring suburb (Bassendean, Western Australia).
Posted by: Plodd

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 24 2013 09:52 AM

RHS Gardens at Wisley was full of roses in bloom when I visited today. So many different varieties to choose from (sigh!), but I thought I would pick a cheerful colour to brighten up everyone's day smile

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 24 2013 10:34 AM

Petersham Park on the side of Richmond Park

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 24 2013 02:42 PM

This is one of the outside walls of the Bristol Eye Hospital.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 24 2013 03:45 PM

Wow, that is pretty cool, Martin and that yellow rose is gorgeous, Plodd!

This was the view the other side of the moon the other night. Looked like the tree was on fire.

[/URL]

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 24 2013 03:47 PM

I love that Martin. I do like it when an effort is made to make public buildings interesting, not just concrete boxes.

Another one of my resident pheasants - the males really are beautiful birds.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jun 24 2013 03:47 PM

Love that Copago (I think we posted at virtually the same time). That is a spectacular shot.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 25 2013 04:11 AM

The penguins in Antarctica sent a storm NZ's way at the end of last week. Very heavy snowfalls in some areas but Timaru just got a few flakes, Tekapo (just over an hours drive inland) had drifts between 1.5 and 2 metres. Other places had as much or almost as much....on top of major flooding just a few days before. These are mountains and foothills a little northwest of Timaru a few days after the storm went through.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 25 2013 10:29 AM

The new camera can manage at night, not always in perfect focus but has its moments, this is Pimlico.

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 25 2013 03:27 PM

Great shot, Howie.
The male pheasants really are beautiful.

Our neighbours have a pet camel, she's about 18 months old.

[/URL]

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 25 2013 03:52 PM

Oh bless, she's sweet. How tame do camels get?

Re: New Thread for June - Tue Jun 25 2013 05:15 PM

The view from my hotel bedroom lst night.

Posted by: Daaanieeel

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 26 2013 03:44 AM

Sorry I disappeared off the face of the Earth for... Ages, but the prodigal son has return for a little while. I moved house and also lost interest in FunTrivia for a bit, but I'm "feeling it" again. Hopefully I can get the camera out a bit.

This is a view near where I now live. The photo was taken on my iPod, so that explains it's not-so-amazingness. I'll try get down there another time with my good camera to get a better quality photo.

Re: New Thread for June - Wed Jun 26 2013 01:13 PM

Welcome back Dan. Back on my old patch in the middle of Golders Green

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 27 2013 01:48 AM

Love the night pic of Pimlico David.
Lovely pics from all, will be back on the 9th.
wonderful here Went to Wimbledon yesterday.

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 27 2013 04:27 PM

Here's another of the walls of the Bristol Eye hospital:

One more to come!

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 27 2013 07:00 PM

A train leaving Brent Cross station heading to Hendon

Posted by: Jar

Re: New Thread for June - Thu Jun 27 2013 08:45 PM

"The supermoon in one of the brief moments it came out from behind the clouds."

No wonder it was so bright the other night - thought I had left a light on!

MotherGoose, is "yarn-bombing" a usual thing by you? Is it something that is welcomed? Or is it something that happens at night by a bunch of rowdies? I've never seen it before.

All the photos are great. I do so enjoy them. I probably won't ever get to all the places in this world that I would like to, so I can go to them through these photos. This is always the first or second area I look at when I log in.

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 28 2013 04:38 AM

Quote:
MotherGoose, is "yarn-bombing" a usual thing by you? Is it something that is welcomed? Or is it something that happens at night by a bunch of rowdies? I've never seen it before.

Well, I've never done it - and this particular example was done as a community project with the permission of the council.

I don't know much about yarn-bombing but you can read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn_bombing

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 28 2013 07:02 AM

It is an awful lot of work and wouldn't be cheap or quick to do, they will have had to measure up the trees and make the 'jackets' in preparation to do the bombing. I think that it is great.

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 28 2013 08:35 PM

A weir on Dollis Brook

Re: New Thread for June - Fri Jun 28 2013 10:32 PM

Here's one of the yarn-bombed trees up close.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 29 2013 04:44 AM

Pity that dogs will probably cock their legs against it. frown

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 29 2013 05:36 AM

Quote:
Pity that dogs will probably cock their legs against it.

I never thought of that! I love how your mind works, Sue. ( smilee)

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 29 2013 06:03 AM

smile Ever the realist.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 29 2013 10:58 AM

I think this is the first time someone's used the photo section for 'I need an answer' (as it used to be), but after posting this on two road related sites with no joy I reckon someone here should nail it. The main problems are firstly the old manuals we have online don't have the one way street signs at the entrance to a road, and secondly the only photo online of one is two words above one word with an appropriate forward arrow. These were the first wave to go so I can't remember either, but do know many standard signs like no entry etc. did have different versions, and the main reason I'm not sure if this example is one as it's on a private road which can make anything it likes. Can anyone remember whether these were on public roads as well? The clue it is not home made are the four holes for pole mounting which are normally on mass produced signs and not ones made specially for an order which would probably not have needed one with them on it for a wall mounting.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 29 2013 04:01 PM

I am fairly certain they were on public roads. I seem to remember seeing them when I started learning to drive (mid 60s), but on poles, not on a wall like that one.

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 29 2013 04:16 PM

Wasn't sure what they had planted in the fields next to us this year, but it is slowly turning blue as the crop flowers. I think it is some sort of flax

Re: New Thread for June - Sat Jun 29 2013 10:42 PM

I'm loving all the photos!

My pink roses are blooming now too!

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 30 2013 01:59 AM

Closing this later today .New month, new thread!

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 30 2013 01:01 PM

Last photo of the walls of the Bristol Eye hospital. There are 2 others but they've
been vandalised by 'taggers' who get a kick out of painting their aliases on public
& private property. (Yes, Banksy - I'm looking at you as well.)

(There is a close-up of the inscription but I couldn't work out how to do the hyperlink
thingy so I'll have to post that separately.)

Re: New Thread for June - Sun Jun 30 2013 04:26 PM

Thank you Martin, I've enjoyed seeing those. Shame about the taggers - they are somewhat over active round here as well I'm afraid.

Re: New Thread for June - Mon Jul 01 2013 06:43 AM

Closing this now as it must be the first nearly everywhere Thanks so much for great June photos, as ever XXXX