Hello August!

Posted by: ren33

Hello August! - Thu Aug 01 2013 04:37 PM

Welcome all! July was as wonderful as ever.
Lets see what August brings.
Posted by: ClaraSue

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 01 2013 05:26 PM

I can't believe it's August already. Here's dinner in Chincoteague, VA.

Posted by: satguru

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 01 2013 05:34 PM

A view of the Cotswolds on the way to Cheltenham

Posted by: DivineMsDRL

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 01 2013 07:16 PM

Satguru, you often refer to cotswolds. You often refer to places in England, where I don't have a clue where they are. Could you please, for the people across the pond give a more detailed description? For example, where is Cheltenham? Yes, I could Google it, but it would be much nicer for you as a Brit, to explain. Did I offend by calling you a Brit? One never knows these days. I plead ignorance. I never know if I am PC.

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 01 2013 08:23 PM

Forgive me for jumping in here. David's area is North of London and he knows that like the back of his hand. Mine is the Cotswolds, so maybe I can tell you a bit. Although my family is Cornish( and fiercely proud of it. You will find most Brits are proud of the place they are most familiar with), I know Gloucestershire very well having been brought up there from 8-18. The Cotswolds is an area of outstanding natural beauty(AONB), one of the largest in the British Isles. I would say it stretches from Oxfordshire to Wales , Gloucestershire,Somerset,Worcestershire and Herefordshire are all part of it Its main claim to fame is the area including the Cotswold Hills. Cheltenham is in Gloucestershire and is well known for its beautiful Regency built sweep of houses and its rather gentile atmosphere, Bath in Somerset echoes this too. I would say the Cotswolds is loved for its gorgeous landscapes, its lovely villages (with incredibly quaint pubs)and its friendly people. I never tire of going back there and revisiting, or discovering new,towns and villages, churches and manor houses and the gardens are to be seen to be believed. If you look through the photos from July you will see a few examples from my recent trip. Also notable is the stone that is used in the villages and this butter coloured locally quarried stone is not seen elsewhere. Buildings using other stone in the towns are in many places, banned.
You would love it, everyone does. Ask 'Jane Marple' her favourite village and she will say Bourton on the Water, she visits it a lot.
I love Gloucester itself , the cathedral is to me outstanding in its glory. The ancient buildings are fascinating. My friend's family owns a hotel called the New Inn where Shakespearean companies came to perform his plays. Stratford on Avon is in Warwickshire and practically in the Cotswolds.
I am debating opening a new thread called My Home where people, not only Brits can describe their part of the world, with maybe a photo or two, after all this is the Photo Forum.
Yes I will. And No, David will not be upset at being called a Brit, that's what he is His nationality is English and he lives in Britain, no doubt when I open the new thread he will be one of the first to tell you about his home.
Thanks for your interest.

This is the best example of Fan tracery in the world: The cloisters in Gloucester Cathedral in Cotswold stone.
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 01 2013 08:30 PM

I love the Cotswolds too, particularly Stow on the Wold, where one of my great-aunts used to live and several cousins still do, and Cheltenham, and Gloucester. The first time I visited the area (I was 21) my migraine miraculously disappeared and I felt like I was "home" smile

Second the idea of the "My Home" thread! (May I post pics of several?)
Posted by: Howie72

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 01 2013 09:47 PM

Shall we have a few photos from inside the Akershus Castle and Fortress in Oslo. Construction of the castle began in 1299 under King Hakon V to defend the city. It has been a royal residence and also a prison. This is the sheriff's chamber.

Posted by: sue943

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 04:42 AM

Another fact about The Cotswolds, it can be a costly area in which to buy property as many wealthy people either live there or have a second home there, including Prince Charles and Princess Anne, oh and host of celebrities.

And a little known fact, I spent the first night of my marriage there but don't know where! It was a secret and we arrived at the hotel, a very pretty village but I still don't know the name of the place. smile
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 05:27 AM

Meet "Iznogoud", our new kitten, hiding out behind the curtains:

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 05:50 AM

How adorable Toni, awwww.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 07:06 AM

Oh Toni that is the cutest thing!!

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 07:30 AM

What a sweetie!
Posted by: Dotb

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 08:34 AM

I think there should be a 'like' button because I kept looking for one! Spent too long on facebook, obviously! The Cotswolds description (info and photos) were lovely and reminded me of some wonderful holidays we had there when the children were small. The other photos are also wonderful, I love the sherrifs place! smile Here's my offering for the start of August, taken yesterday in Tyneside.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 10:56 AM

I'll add a little location details in future, I didn't realise anyone would be that interested in exactly where they were but happy to do so.

This is the only proper view I got of the Cotswold hills on Monday, taken behind the houses in Charlton Kings which is on the east side of Cheltenham, as the A40 skirts round the edge of them.

It's 85 miles WNW of London. My latest hobby has been collecting spots on the UK Ordnance Survey map site www.geograph.org.uk so when I've got one area I go for the next until I'm entirely worn out. This was the final planned trip as it got me into the furthest west territory so far, and any more will be thankfully optional as it took me well over two years to get this much.

Other regular photos in the past have been on the North Downs, which stretch from Farnham 30 or so miles SW of London to the coast in Kent 80 miles SE or so. I've also done the South Downs, 30 miles or so to the south in Sussex just before you hit the south coast. Plenty more are taken in Surrey, due south of London, and Hertfordshire and Essex are the two counties directly north of me.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 11:16 AM

A restaurant in Lexington, Virginia has one room where hanging from the ceiling is a few dozen child pedal cars. I imagine there's a lot of money involved with most of these antiques.

Posted by: Mugaboo

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 11:41 AM

False Bay, near Cape Town, taken in 1977.

Posted by: DivineMsDRL

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 02 2013 06:23 PM

Thank you Ren, David and Sue for the explanations and great pics. I have not posted pics lately, but am on the sites daily. I love seeing places around the world. I get to travel vicariously. Thanks all

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 03:19 AM

Love those cars, ClaraSue!

From me today, another shot of our Iznogoud, looking rather regal for a chit of a kit:

I'm hoping to upload some pics of our trip to the south of France over the next few days. Will share them as soon as I get the time to tweak them to the right dimensions.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 03:50 AM

He really is gorgeous! I hope you went to Antibes. I worked there in the 50's and would love some memories. Vallauris too.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 04:57 AM

Gandalf enjoying it in his box...

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 05:40 AM

Cats are such camera hams! Very cute kitties.

Swallowtail butterfly in Haubstadt, Indiana.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 06:59 AM

Gorgeous kitties and beautiful butterfly!

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 01:21 PM

Sorry if I've posted this before. Here is a crab we saw in Egypt by the side of a jetty.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 01:23 PM

Mum and babe. I couldn't do anything about the ropes, she wasn't going to move to a better spot just so that I could take a photo.

Posted by: Christinap

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 04:29 PM

Lovely photos so far, love the kitty, she looks so cute and hasn't Gandalf grown.

Here's Susie on a walk having spotted something the other side of the field that is far more interesting than the camera.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 05:13 PM

Did anyone know Iznogud in Polish is Niezgoda? Back to Hampstead Garden Suburb, lots of colours

Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 07:57 PM

Quote:
Did anyone know Iznogud in Polish is Niezgoda?

Sorry, I don't get it? Please explain.

I thought Iznogud really meant "is-no-good", as in him/her being a naughty kitty.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 03 2013 10:14 PM

I think Iznogoud is a cartoon character, maybe French. I suppose David means it translates into Polish ie the name is Niezgoda

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 04 2013 03:28 AM

this was in the moat surrounding the orangutans.

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 04 2013 03:59 AM

Iznogoud is a French cartoon character, created by Goscinny (who also created the Asterix series). Lots of word play in both the names of the characters and their actions (Wikipedia article here). In Polish he was called Iznogud, I believe.

Love your water lily, sue! and Susie's definitely interested in something off to her left!

Today he was caught in the act of 'introducing' himself to our goldfish, I guess we'll have to cover the bowl for a while now!

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 04 2013 04:22 AM

That is a fabulous photo Toni, the sort of photo that goes viral on the internet as an amusing photo, and cute.

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 04 2013 04:31 AM

Haha I don't think Izzy will be going viral just yet, and I know for a fact that fishy is going into our bigger, *covered* aquarium as of this afternoon. Better safe than sorry!

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 04 2013 09:37 AM

I'd never heard of Iznogoud before but when I was 5 our cleaner was called Mrs Niezgoda, and a few years ago I decided to ask here what it meant (her husband was Polish) and it was no-goodnik, a troublemaker basically. Yours is just a variation on it.

These are the edge of the Cotswolds near Burford, between Oxford and Cheltenham. My little compact camera managed to freeze the movement and got 30 miles of the A40 between Oxford and Cheltenham firing off every minute or two. The new camera couldn't cope with the focus on a moving target but the old one is set to infinity.

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 04 2013 04:42 PM

Went to a heavy horse show today and this gorgeous little foal was best foal in his class.

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 04 2013 06:56 PM

Toni, that photo is fabulous! That's one for a photo contest!

Another old pedal car.

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 04 2013 09:38 PM

Saying goodbye to the South Island as we head into the calm Cook Strait.

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 05 2013 12:02 AM

Christinap, loooove that foal of yours!!! And yours too, ClaraSue!
Howie, that looks absolutely gorgeous!!!

From me today, a photo of a most unusual headstone in the graveyard of the church at La Couvertoirade. We visited this picturesque Knights Templar village/fortress in the Aveyron, Midi Pyrenées, south of France, just a few weeks ago, and this village totally charmed us with it's meandering streets, stone buildings and roof tiles and charming traditional workshops.

Posted by: Copago

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 05 2013 01:05 AM

Bingo!
Won a meat tray - lol - high excitement wink

]

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 05 2013 03:24 AM

What fun, do we see a photo of it tomorrow?

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 05 2013 06:07 AM

I hope its not ALL mutton and lamb?
Posted by: martin_cube

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 05 2013 11:18 AM

Here's another photo from my trip to the coast last month, on the steam train heading to
Kingswear from Paignton.

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 05 2013 11:42 AM

Another of my garden series

Posted by: OnimisiB

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 06 2013 04:30 AM

Here is a hotel room window view of the River Niger in Niamey, Niger Republic.

River Niger by Onimisi Baiye, on Flickr
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 06 2013 11:35 AM

Onimisi: wow. And more wows. Just look at the colour of that sky. You need to show off here more often : )

Sue: While I liked the orangutans, the water lily was truly exquisite! I'd get that one enlarged/printed if I had taken it : )

Christina: my goodness, even the babies are HUGE lol.

Santana: Somehow I thought the short form for your new family member was going to be Izzy : ) By the way, does your camera have one of those cool features where you can choose only one colour (other than monochrome) to show up in the final product?

David: lovely garden pix as always!

Martin: would have been a PERFECT picture if you had gotten someone to push that other dude off the train (or at least stuff him in the WC) LOL

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 06 2013 01:31 PM

Back to the Akershus Castle and Fortress in Oslo, this time we have the school room. You wandered through this castle by yourself with headphones allowing an audio tour including ghost stories if you would like to hear them. Filled in the time well before I had board the ferry.

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 06 2013 05:50 PM

A formal flowerbed near the other ones

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 07 2013 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: ren33
I hope its not ALL mutton and lamb?

haha. We get a choice from some meat trays and grocery packs. We can get enough meat here so I usually take the groceries ... unless there is pork. We don't have pigs smile

Love the river shot, Ominisi! The colours are wonderful.
And I like the train pic too, Martin smile

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 07 2013 04:04 AM

Loving all the photos! Hubby got me a new computer (Mac) and I'm trying to learn it. As soon as I figure out where all my photos are, I will get to posting. grin

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 07 2013 06:45 AM

Jakeroo & Copagu: Thanks, I will try my best to be around more often.
I got the yellow, blue & green colours by using a very high ISO setting and a mini tripod.

Please, can anyone explain the picture below to me? It is the midday sun(had to take it with a very low EV setting), but it is under a kind of atmospheric effect, that I do not understand. Eclipse?

DSCN0091 by Onimisi Baiye, on Flickr

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 07 2013 01:36 PM

It's an interesting effect for sure, the kind of thing you WOULD find during an eclipse. It's
almost like a circular rainbow around the sun. Was the sky cloudy at the time? If not then I'd
have to guess that the brightness fooled the electronics into producing that picture, much like
some of the photos I took of the moon with an older camera where the moon
appeared to be
square. (I'm pretty sure it isn't square.)

The guy on the train had the same idea as me - wait until it started going around a bend then
stick the camera out of the window for the shot and hope nothing had been placed too close to
the track (and that you didn't drop the camera!)

This is Torquay from across the harboUr:

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 07 2013 03:26 PM

Had a visit to the British Museum. I thought this hat might look rather fetching when I'm gardening

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 07 2013 07:18 PM

Christina: depends on what you're trying to fetch, I guess lol
(I'm sure it's some fabulously valuable historic piece, but... Anyway, thanks for the giggle!)

Martin: It's still a great picture nonetheless (I was just teasing), as was your last one. I DO understand "hoping to injure neither the camera or myself) thing though. If we're somewhere "up high" like overlooking a canyon, on a bridge, boat/ship, I have to get hubby to hang onto the belt loops on the back of my jeans. Seems I can't (esp as I get older) try to maintain my own balance without hanging onto something myself (which makes it REALLY hard to take a picture lol). However, I can chew gum and walk at the same time, so perhaps all is not lost ~~~.

Osimini: I'm presuming since you asked the question, that (to the naked eye) that's fairly close to what it really looked like as opposed to the camera "taking over" lol. So I'll throw in my two bits (11 cents after taxes lol)

I personally am not an expert by any means, but the eclipse suggestion seems sort of iffy to me (but since none of the rest of us saw it in person, who knows? lol). I think it could be either a corona illusion or a halo. We get a lot of different halos up here in Canada (the most frequently seen is what we would call "sun dogs"). Here, they occur generally in the winter when there is a very sunny, very cold day. If we see them, we know it's going to be 40 below outside lol.

Anyway, I realise you're in a different part of the world, but I'm sure ice crystals in the upper atmosphere occur there too on occasion. Similar effects happen with the moon as well. I have seen full/complete halos of the moon in the Arizona desert, so I guess they can happen anywhere (and probably more than once in a blue moon lol).

Inserting a link here (that is really about the skies you can see in the Arctic), but I'm sure the basic physics apply everywhere. Hope you find it helpful. And if not, at least interesting : )

http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/arctic-meteorology/phenomena.html

The NASA website (and associated links) store quite a lot of "unusual sightings" based on location, so I suppose you could try to do a search on the latitude/longitude and date/time the photo was taken. Might be tedious and perhaps fruitless though. If all else fails, maybe you can find a "contact us" link on one of their sites, upload the picture and ask for a more educated opinion.

Copago: forgot to mention how different the Bingo cards look over there compared to ours (I wouldn't even know if I'd won if I played those lol). Just goes to show that one learns something new around here every day : )

Howie: all your pictures make me want to move to New Zealand (don't worry, i'm not a stalker LOL!)

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 08 2013 02:01 AM

I never get visitors so even stalkers are welcome...lol

I know the ferry was here somewhere but it has disappeared...Looking back again to the Marllborough Sounds area of the South Island.

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 08 2013 06:39 AM

Quote:
I never get visitors so even stalkers are welcome...lol

Oh Howie, I thought you would never ask. Will be over when I win Lottery. My landlord has property in NZ and has offered me one of his houses(ahem!) so I really would love to come one day. It all looks so lovely.

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 08 2013 11:44 AM

Christina - I'm sure this little chap would find that hat VERY fetching:

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 08 2013 03:38 PM

Good photo Martin. I can just imagine him buzzing round the flowers on my hat
Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 09 2013 12:56 AM

Beautiful photo, Howie. That's such an interesting hat. Which section of the museum was it in, Christina?

The ruins of an old church in Athens.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 09 2013 02:44 AM

The Kiwi was walking down the partially lit passageway, unaware of what was lurking around the corner. Over the years he had heard the stories of terror that had happened centuries ago and rumours were abound that history was repeating itself. Akershus Fortress in Oslo had been closed to the public for almost 10 years now, owned by a Norwegian billionaire who shunned all publicity.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 09 2013 05:07 AM

The hat, which is actually more like a head dress intertwined into the hair, was in the Mesopotamian section Zorba, as was this, the Royal Game of Ur. The rules, or part of them, are in cuniform on the broken tablet at the back.

Posted by: nannywoo

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 09 2013 09:29 AM

I needed these pictures for my "Ur Illustrated" quiz! The treasures from the royal tombs have always fascinated me, but I've never seen them for real. Lucky you!

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 09 2013 03:11 PM

Love your treasures, Christinap & your bee is fabulous Martin!

Not to rouse any jealousy between my pets, here's a snap of Cookie:

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 09 2013 03:44 PM

Awww, gorgeos.

Nannywoo - the British Museum is endlessly fascinating. Impossible to do in a day, far too large, and you always seem to find an odd corner or a little gem you havn't seen before.

Free to enter as well, with no photography restrictions.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 09 2013 08:42 PM

Ahhh, just a rather large pond away.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 10 2013 12:59 AM

Here's another gorgeous little corner of that Templar village, Couvertoirade:

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 10 2013 02:19 AM

Flying free above Cook Strait in the mid-morning sunshine.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 10 2013 07:53 AM

This weekend, we have the annual Balloon Fiesta in Bristol. The Red Arrows did a display
yesterday (Friday) which I missed entirely as it took place at 4pm while I was at work.
I could hear them but couldn't see a darned thing!
They made up for it (a bit) today with a flypast by one of the RAF Typhoons. This photo
came out quite well considering that I was about 2 or 3 miles away from the action.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 10 2013 09:35 AM

Wow, nice shot of the bee! I'll let others get that close to one, I'm not! grin

I think I've got the new computer figured out (sort of). This was seen at a fast-food restaurant in Virginia last week. It had a For Sale sign on it.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 10 2013 11:17 AM

That's pretty cool, ClaraSue!

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 10 2013 04:45 PM

The pond on Kew Green, SW London

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 10 2013 10:50 PM

Great pics everybody! I've been looking and loving them, now I'll try to start posting again.

The only thing I wanted to buy myself in Gettysburg when I visited last month was a Union kepi, as I had wanted one from about the age of seven - a very long time ago! It's a reproduction (of course) but just what I wanted.

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 11 2013 01:32 AM

A very 'you' kind of hat, Liz!

Still in Couvertoirade, here's a busy crossroads:

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 11 2013 03:36 AM

Once again back to Oslo and the Akershus Castle. Here we have the Royal Mausoleum where King Haakon VII of Norway (1872–1957) and Queen Maud of Norway (1869–1938) rest in the white sarcophagus, and in the green sarcophagus are King Olav V of Norway (1903–1991) and Crown Princess Märtha of Norway (1901–1954).

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 11 2013 03:07 PM

A horse chestnut tree on Richmond Park

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 11 2013 05:14 PM

The Typhoon came back for another display today and at the end, went almost right overhead.

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 11 2013 11:48 PM

A glimpse inside the church in Couvertoirade today with a photo of this statue of Joan of Arc:

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 12 2013 12:39 PM

Groundsel on Ham Lands which runs alongside Teddington Lock on the River Thames

Posted by: Gheelnory

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 12 2013 12:58 PM

Wow, Martin--your timing had to be just right, to get that. (Same with the bee photo, now that I think of it.)

Looks as though it was a nice day for the aero-show.

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 12 2013 10:24 PM

Still in the church in Couvertoirade, here's the holy water or baptismal font, not sure which:

Posted by: Tekka

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 13 2013 12:40 AM

I'm so enjoying everyone's photos - such a wonderful variety. One that has stayed with me is yours Howie, of the bird over Cook Straight, it is just beautiful. What kind of bird is it? Some of your photos from your ferry trip remind me of sailing through the islands off the coast here in western Canada.

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 13 2013 03:27 AM

I am not quite sure what the bird is, possibly a juvenile black-backed seagull.

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 13 2013 03:41 AM

Avoiding a head on collision with the 'Kaitaki' in a slightly more choppy Cook Straight though less than the 11 metre swells they had in about a week to 10 days after my crossing. The lower north Island with the wind turbines in the background.

Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 13 2013 05:47 AM

Some galahs on the nature strip outside our house last week. A galah is also an Aussie slang expression for a fool. Rather unfair on these rather intelligent birds (but their antics and squawking can be rather hilarious)!

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 13 2013 11:51 AM

They look like a type of cockatoo Mike, is that a crest on the head?

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 13 2013 04:47 PM

The train coming in Golders Green, Brent Cross station is in the background

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 13 2013 07:03 PM

Howie: I, too, liked the bird flying very much - way cool how the sun is glinting off the bird itself! Sounds like an interesting (if not macabre) trip to Norway! Got a chuckle re the descriptive text that accompanied the "tunnelway" pic. Maybe you should write a book about travels?

David: Love all your train pix. Liked the reflection in the water of your Kew pic as well - nice effect!

SpanishLiz: Great hat - glad you found one!

nannywoo: but you have the Smithsonian which is much closer to your location. I want to go there someday. The provincial museum where we live isn't very big and the permanent exhibitions are Canadian for the most part, so the "contents" are not that old (but we do get "travelling exhibits" sometimes). Not free though, like the British Museum!

ClaraSue: Hah! I think that's the coolest pic I've seen in awhile. Did the "for sale" sign also have a blurb that it was "only eaten at by a little old lady in Pasadena"? : )

Mike: Purdy boids!

Santana: love Cookie and the shots of all that wonderful stonework - yowzah (btw is there a "slang" french word that sort of translates to yowzah? - I know there's magnifique, but that seems too formal)

Martin: "Master of the pun" around here and you didn't change your signature on the 3rd to last pic you posted to read "BEEzinga" instead? Tsk, lol.
Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 13 2013 09:05 PM

Yes, Chris, that is a crest on the galah, and it often often flares as they're strutting around (or whatever the correct verb is for crests being raised!)

Yes, galahs are cockatoos. Their other, far less commonly used, names are Rose-breasted Cockatoo or Roseate Cockatoo.

Perhaps I'm simply noticing it more, but we seem to be getting more large flocks of native birds in and around Melbourne. Along with these galahs (and they number in the thousands just around our suburb), we've recently had large numbers of sulfur-crested cockatoos and cockatiels. Melbourne has been wet, so there's more water around than normal.

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 13 2013 09:23 PM

Quote:
yowzah (btw is there a "slang" french word that sort of translates to yowzah? - I know there's magnifique, but that seems too formal)

In the 60's(!) we used to say "la Vache!"which was near to "Wow" then. Toni will know.

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 14 2013 02:00 AM

The Pacific Ocean was a tad on the wild side over the last couple of days so I took a detour around the dashing rocks walkway on the way home on August 13th.

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 14 2013 04:54 AM

"La vache" is still the best approximation, ren, you haven't lost your touch!

Love your little bit of raging ocean Howie!

Yet another, but possible the last, photo from Couvertoirade from me for today. I wanted to show the rooftops, many of which have the singularity of being made of stone, not slate or tile:

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 14 2013 05:50 AM

I keep a little camera in the glove compartment in my car just in case there is ever a need for a photo. This morning I pulled into the garage to buy petrol and saw this little beauty having its tyres checked.

I spoke to the owner and asked how long he had owned it, about twenty years. I had assumed that he had just bought it as I saw it the other week when the grandchildren were in the car, and that was the first time that I had seen it.

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 14 2013 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo

Martin: "Master of the pun" around here and you didn't change your signature on the 3rd to last pic you posted to read "BEEzinga" instead? Tsk, lol.

I must admit I hadn't thought of that one Jake. (If I had, I'd probably have gone with "BEE-STINGA!" or something. Fortunately for everyone, I didn't.)

Great shot Howie. You almost feel the raw power of the waves.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Another photo of the steam train in the station at Kingswear.

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 14 2013 01:34 PM

I LOVE the Smithsonian! And there are excellent museums in North Carolina, too. Hard to get away, but - meanwhile - I'll enjoy the trip vicariously, here in my armchair. Thanks for sharing the images.

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 14 2013 06:11 PM

Thanks Jake, I've done the long trips for this year and can now relax and go back to trying to find more artistic than locational shots.

Here are some typical houses in Golders Green which I'd like to live in but slightly (by around 100%) too expensive.

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 15 2013 02:13 PM

The light was just right over the local country park today

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 15 2013 03:19 PM

Is it a bird?

Is it a plane??

No, it's SUPERGROMIT!

This is one of 80 giant Gromit statues in and around Bristol this summer. Each one is painted
differently, some by celebrities, and are made of fibreglass. They are intended to raise money
for the Bristol Children's Hospital and have proved to be very popular with tourists,
people have come from all over the world to see them according to todays local paper.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 16 2013 04:17 AM

New Zealand's first lighthouse situated at Pencarrow Head at the entrance to Wellington Harbour. It was first lit in 1859 and was often obsured by fog and low cloud so a new lighthouse was built on the beach in 1906. The original was extinguished in 1935 on the same day a replacement lightouse was lit at Baring Head.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 16 2013 08:47 AM

Let's go back in time. Here is the meeting point of Man & Lions. This is the passage way for the lion to enter the circus arena.

Lion's Entry by Onimisi Baiye, on Flickr

Circus where people are fed to Lions
Roman Ruins, constructed in 1 AD in Tipasa, Algiers, Algeria
Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 16 2013 12:23 PM

Love the Gromit statue! smile

A photo of our back garden with a real "Mary Poppins" kite tied to the washing line, made with newspaper and string for the Princes entertainment!! smile
Posted by: Gheelnory

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 16 2013 01:48 PM

That "Lion's Entry" photo is chilling--imagine being the person or persons who first thought of building a facility for lions to savage humans for public entertainment. Not a nice mind to inhabit!

I love the Bristol Gromits. We've had fiberglass cows in the USA (and other creatures, too--dolphins, for example) as charitable-donation raisers, but I hadn't heard of any for a while. It was kind of Nick Park to donate the rights to his character for this purpose.

(I found this interesting article online: http://www.bristol-culture.com/2013/06/2...by-nick-park-2/
)
Posted by: Jar

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 16 2013 02:56 PM

Great photos, everyone! Love Gromit - I'll never give up my Wallace and Gromit VCR tapes - the only reason I keep a VCR player.

If that is the passageway for the lions to enter, wonder if the human passageway is the same?

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 16 2013 06:33 PM

Here's another of the Gromits, this one has been decorated as a pirate.

I don't have many photos of these, they are too widely spread for me to have seen more than
a couple.
However, I have a couple of days off next week so maybe I'll go on a Gromit hunt.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 16 2013 07:50 PM

One example why I prefer living in the suburbs, this view is about a mile from me

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 16 2013 07:51 PM

Great photos all!
Everyone seems to be having good weather except me. We had a typhoon this week and are now suffering from the rain bands associated with it. This poor darling thing survived the storm and is now struggling with the rain. It has an umbrella over it now, but I think I will bring it into the house. Awww!

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 17 2013 01:34 AM

This small room at the Akershus Castle in Oslo is the Christian IV Hall. I would not like to think what the heating cost would be. In the eighteenth century, the hall was divided into several smaller rooms converted into apartments for the king and queen of Denmark and Norway. Today it is used as a waiting room for official government functions. I have no idea why there was no one there to greet such an important visitor as myself.... grin

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 17 2013 06:29 PM

I will never grow up

Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 17 2013 09:22 PM

At the flower show at the Lalbaug Gardens, Bangalore last Monday.

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 18 2013 06:24 PM

Last of the Gromit photos (for now). Here are some on the back of a flat-bed truck, being
delivered to one of the various locations around the city:

[/URL]

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 19 2013 01:01 AM

Almost arrived in Wellington though it was straight off the ferry and continue north. This is the "Cake Tin" or Westpac Stadium in Wellington where on Saturday night, earthquakes permitting, New Zealand will once again beat Australia in rugby. smile

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 19 2013 03:37 AM

I love the Gromit shots, Martin! Great fun.
And as or the rugby, Howie .. I reckon you could field an under 18 side and still win!

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 19 2013 09:09 AM

Teddington lock

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 20 2013 02:51 AM

Once again we are back to the Akerhus Castle in Oslo, this time in the Margarethe Hall.

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 20 2013 11:25 AM

Lovely photos as always! smile

Here is one of my recent visit to Carnac in Britany where they have over 3000 prehistoric stones. This is the Manio quadrilateral arrangement.

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 20 2013 11:52 AM

The church on Kew Green. The equipment isn't quite up to the job though.

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 20 2013 01:25 PM

Oh that's not too far from me, Dotb! I've never been myself, though my kids and husband have, several times. The kids hate going there, "booo-ring!" is the usual refrain, which is why I haven't yet had the pleasure ...

Love your Oslo photos, Howie!

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 21 2013 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Santana2002
Oh that's not too far from me, Dotb! I've never been myself, though my kids and husband have, several times. The kids hate going there, "booo-ring!" is the usual refrain, which is why I haven't yet had the pleasure ...

I was fascinated! In fact, we visited a few sites...

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 21 2013 05:31 AM

I have come to the conclusion that most of my New Zealand photos include water so I thought it was about time there was a 'dry' photo. This is the De Melon Windmill (a replica of a Dutch 17th century windmill) in Foxton.

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 21 2013 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Santana2002

Love your Oslo photos, Howie!

We used to stay at Penestin, year after year.

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 21 2013 03:42 PM

I loved Carnac, we went there in 1966 and 1967 but still remember it well, including all the stones.

More flowers in Golders Green

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 21 2013 05:50 PM

I find standing stones fascnating. There always seems to be some sort of aura around places that have them. I can uderstand why people feel they are mystical.

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 22 2013 05:23 AM

We have plenty of dolmens here in Jersey.

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 22 2013 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Christinap
I find standing stones fascnating. There always seems to be some sort of aura around places that have them. I can uderstand why people feel they are mystical.

They were awesome, especially this one where we could go down some steps right into the chamber. The green on the wall looked eerie!

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 22 2013 06:57 AM

Admiral Nelson turning his back on me during a recent day trip to London. Why can't they
make the statue rotate? He must be so bored with staring towards Big Ben all day.

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 22 2013 12:19 PM

Princes Park in Golders Green, the hut is a café, it closed for a while after opening a few years ago but back with longer hours now.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 23 2013 12:56 AM

Yet another of the halls in Oslo's Akershus Castle, this time the Olav V Hall. This was a tour you took by yourself with audio accompaniment explaining where you were and what you were seeng including ghost stories if you wanted.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 23 2013 11:02 AM

There's something in the air in Brittany! These stones were being piled up by families on the beach!!

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 23 2013 04:39 PM

Teddington weir on the Thames

Posted by: tellywellies

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 23 2013 11:08 PM

Genuine Roman ruins but not anywhere that the Romans lived. They are at Virginia Waters, part of Windsor Great Park. The stones came from 'Leptis Magna', Libya in 1816, were kept at the British Museum but eventually moved to Virginia Waters in 1826.

Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 24 2013 12:15 AM

My cockatiels, Merlin and Archimedes, enjoying some bird treats this morning.

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 24 2013 03:37 AM

All aboard for a journey about this two horse power tram in Foxton. Who volunteers to walk behind picking up the...ummm...you know. smile

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 24 2013 05:35 PM

An impressive office building in Walton on Thames

Posted by: tellywellies

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 25 2013 01:09 AM

The Totem Pole at Virginia Waters. A present from Canada to the Queen (1958). It is 100 feet high. To see the entire totem pole click here

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 25 2013 12:24 PM

We saw this while we were sitting outside a cafe in La Trinite sur Mer.

Re: Hello August! - Sun Aug 25 2013 06:49 PM

Great photos, everyone! I especially love the cockatiels. Reminds me of the one I used to have named Bruno. I miss him. I never realized how much a bird could keep me company until I got him.

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 26 2013 02:03 AM

Bye bye Oslo, on the ferry at the start of the 16 hour trip to Copenhagen. We left before the Disney Cruise liner but they beat us into Copenhagen.

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 26 2013 01:10 PM

This house was built of concrete and had a concrete bunker next to it. Even the roof looked to be made of concrete.

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 26 2013 04:05 PM

Where is that house, Dotb? At first glance I would have thought it was made of granite stone with stone shingles on the roof, not of concrete!

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 26 2013 04:11 PM

Every now and then the camera gets it just right, this is Sunbury golf club from a bridge next to it

Re: Hello August! - Mon Aug 26 2013 05:29 PM

Great photos everyone! I've been checking in to look every day even if I'm not posting much. Precious posed for me the other day, so here she is relaxing on my post card albums and photo boxes. This is one of her attention-getting ploys...

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 27 2013 04:14 AM

Nearing the end of day 2, a brief stop at the Virginia Lake Reserve in Wanganui before carrying on to our destination of New Plymouth. Here we have the lake at the reserve with the Higginbottom Fountain.

Re: Hello August! - Tue Aug 27 2013 09:28 PM

One of the best kept gardens in Hampstead Garden Suburb

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:11 PM

You're probably right! I'm useless at naming materials! It is about a mile and a half from the town centre of La Trinite-sur-Mer, Brittany. It's beautiful!!
Here's a link to it... La Trinite-sur-Mer

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:40 PM

This is the view of Dudden Hill from Gladstone Park which is on the top of Dollis Hill with amazing views across London

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 28 2013 05:12 PM

A seagull looking very aloof, probably had its eyes on someones fish and chip supper.

Re: Hello August! - Wed Aug 28 2013 06:50 PM

Wow, that's a great pic, Martin!

Today on my walk I saw these glasses stuck up in the limbs of a tree.

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 29 2013 02:53 AM

Sailing past an island on Oslo Fjord on the way to Copenhagen. It was here that the batteries went flat in the camera and thanks to the incompetence of the Greyhound Bus Company in Texas, I had no battery charger for my rechargable batteries. Of course, I was missing a lot of stuff that was never found...lol. The gift shop on the ferry was not yet open for business so all I could do was enjoy the views and try to rely on my memory....silly me. smile

Posted by: Sellavee

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 29 2013 08:47 AM

This is my first photograph and am not absolutely sure this will work! A lovely view from our Gasthof in the Southern Bavarian village of Ruhpolding earlier this summer.

Posted by: CmdrK

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 29 2013 10:01 AM

Sellavee, that's a great looking picture!

I'm another errant poster but I have an excuse. If you remember my New Hampshire license plate from the February pictures, it's been changed. For you non-Yanks, it was a 4,800 km trip. smile

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 29 2013 01:31 PM

Welcome Sellavee, and it worked first time!

The Welsh Harp reservoir just over the road from me

Posted by: mcsurfie

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 29 2013 02:57 PM

A photo of my hand after an op for Carpal Tunnel Syndrom.
The doctors did offer to give me a photo of the actual trapped median nerve to post on line, but I declined.

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 29 2013 07:56 PM

Hope your hand has healed mcsurfie and I know you will be relieved to not suffer the pain of CTS in that hand again. I had surgery on both of my wrists within two weeks of each other about 5 years ago. I wouldn't recommend having them done that close together as it was really hard to manage but what a relief not to have the pain.

Great pictures again this month everyone - thanks to all.
Posted by: mcsurfie

Re: Hello August! - Thu Aug 29 2013 11:11 PM

My hand is stil sore as I had the op on Wednesday, and cannot lift anything heavy. I know thought that certain activities though can bring it back as I face a possible re-do operation on my left hand - 13 years ago - as scar tissue has slowly built up and is pressing back on the nerve.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 30 2013 12:13 AM

I didn't realise that you'd only just had the surgery so I know what a difficult time you're having. Hopefully the soreness won't last too long, but then you'll have to be careful not to overwork your hand for a few weeks.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 30 2013 05:51 AM

We may have to close Medical Memories soon as the end of the month is here!
Get ready for Super September, beginning tomorrow.

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 30 2013 08:40 AM

The pond in Gladstone Park, Dollis Hill

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 30 2013 06:59 PM

I'm finally getting the hang of the night setting, the Holiday Inn at Brent Cross

Re: Hello August! - Fri Aug 30 2013 10:35 PM

One more for August, as there's still nearly a whole day of the month left here smile

This was my birthday lunch last week, followed by a yummy butter tart sundae instead of cake smile

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 31 2013 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: spanishliz
One more for August, as there's still nearly a whole day of the month left here smile

Exactly. That is why I left it unlocked. I do know that many of you do not end your month on the same day.
Posted by: Sellavee

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 31 2013 10:21 AM

I'm going to be naughty and slip another one in quick for August although I have put another on for September today... hope that's going to be ok. wink

My granddaughter's dog Dilly going for a drive... Patterdale x Jack Russell makes for an interesting time!

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 31 2013 10:24 AM

Oh, sweet, got his seatbelt on and everything!

Re: Hello August! - Sat Aug 31 2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Sellavee
I'm going to be naughty and slip another one in quick for August although I have put another on for September today... hope that's going to be ok. wink

Er, it really isn't OK so perhaps you can skip the 1st September one in the September thread and count the one posted there already as tomorrow's. If that makes sense.

As you are very new to the forums we won't actually delete it but if we permit it for one person then we have to permit it for everyone and the rules for Photo a Day is just that, one per day. Sorry. frown