New shows 2012 TV season

Posted by: pyonir

New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Sep 26 2012 03:52 PM

There really aren't any shows I'm really looking forward to. I gave 'Vegas' a chance last night and it was cliche after cliche and very, very poorly written. I'll probably give it a second week, but if it doesn't vastly improve, I'm out.

I also gave 'Ben and Kate' a try. Thought it was much better and pretty funny. Nothing new really, but the guy that plays Ben is someone I find really funny, so that helps.

I'm going to DVR 'Last Resort' only because it has Andre Braugher in it. I'm not optimistic.

Anyone else?
Posted by: StarfishTwo

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Sep 27 2012 09:01 AM

I've watched the first 2 episodes of "Revolution" and liked it but didn't love it so far. I will definitely continue for a few more episodes. Despite some gaping plot holes, I thought the premise was interesting, and really love all the imagery of abandoned and overgrown cities.

I've also enjoyed "Go On", one of those little ensemble comedies in which the cast slowly grows on you. The last episode wasn't quite up to par with the previous ones, so I'm reserving judgment for a few more episodes.

I watched the first segment of "The New Normal" after recommendations from several critics and didn't find it even mildly amusing. I will typically give a new show at least a full episode, but this one I found so boring, I couldn't even make it that far, and turned it off at the first commercial break.

I tried to watch "The Mindy Project", but I work during primetime so I watch almost all my TV via the internet, and the Fox website wasn't cooperative.

I'm actually looking forward to returning shows "Modern Family", "The Walking Dead", "Once Upon a Time", "American Horror Story", and "Suburgatory" more than any new show I've seen advertised for this season!

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Sep 27 2012 03:51 PM

I'm looking forward to the returning shows more too. smile "Modern Family" was great last night, "Big Bang Theory", "Person of Interest" and the return of "Dexter" and "Homeland" on Sunday (though those are not network of course).

"Criminal Minds" returned last night too, so that was good.

I couldn't bring myself to watch "Revolution". The premise doesn't interest me at all...somehow I have the feeling it'll end up like "Terra Nova" did. Big ratings so far though.
Posted by: Dagny1

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: pyonir
There really aren't any shows I'm really looking forward to.
I'm going to DVR 'Last Resort' only because it has Andre Braugher in it. I'm not optimistic.

Fifteen minutes in and I'm turning out 'Last Resort.' You were wise not to be optimistic. Don't think Andre can overcome the bad scripting. (Loved that TNT show he was in, forget the title, the three guys who grew up together.)

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Sep 27 2012 06:25 PM

I'm looking forward to the returning shows more too. smile "Modern Family" was great last night, "Big Bang Theory", "Person of Interest" . . .

Half an hour until Person of Interest--my most awaited returning show. Save Finch!

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Sep 27 2012 09:50 PM

I haven't watched "Last Resort" yet, but that's disappointing. Maybe going in with very low expectations I can make it through the episode. We'll see. Thanks for the heads up Dagny.

PoI was pretty good tonight! Got a kick out of the scene with the dog.
Posted by: Sypher

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Sep 28 2012 01:23 AM

"Go On" is quite good and as mentioned ealier, the cast will start to grow on you but I have to admit there are some that I can not stand and the blind guy is fantastic !!

"Revolution" - another new show that I'm hoping will not end after 1 season just as it starts to get good. Too many shows start off well and you end up investing your time watching only for the networks to shut it down.

Looking forward to the last season of Fringe. At least this way they will be able to tie up any loose ends.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Sep 28 2012 09:19 AM

PoI was pretty good tonight! Got a kick out of the scene with the dog.

I love that dog! Heard he's the new regular cast member, so we should be seeing more of him.

Last night's episode was awesome. My favorite parts were John talking to the cameras and the scene after we first met the dog when John, Fosco and the other guy came walking out of the building.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Sep 28 2012 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Dagny1
the scene after we first met the dog when John, Fosco and the other guy came walking out of the building.

Haha, yeah that was pretty good.

I'll have to give Go On a shot...I like Matthew Perry but forgot about the show because it was being promoted so often for so long, I didn't really know when it started. I honestly didn't think it would last, so didn't want to start watching it. A lot of people have said it's pretty good though, so a shot might be worth it.
Posted by: live4trivia

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Sep 30 2012 10:47 PM

The only new show I am watching is The Mob Doctor - and William Forsythe is my main reason for watching! laugh

I don't have cable, so the only shows I am watching right now are:
Grimm
Once Upon A Time
The Mob Doctor
America's Next Top Model

I like buying Cable shows on DVD:
Alphas
Dexter
Falling Skies
Haven
Hell On Wheels
Project Runway
Sons Of Anarchy
The Walking Dead

Edit: However, I am looking forward to a few midseason shows:
Zero Hour
The Following
Crossbones
Hannibal

I really liked Alcatraz - as it was a mid-season show too, I hope these shows will last longer than Alcatraz! smirk

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Nov 08 2012 05:35 PM

I watched the first 5 episodes of Last Resort. I'm not sure why, but I kind of like it. I think it's basically because it's such a different premise than regular TV shows and because of Andre. It is over-dramatic, cliched, and a bit predictable at times though. The writing is not so good. I think the acting (for the most part) makes up for it though. There are still certain actors that are quite poor, but that's to be expected I think.

In any case, it's probably likely to be cancelled or at least on the bubble. I'll watch for as long as it's on, but won't be terribly disappointed if it's ultimately cancelled. Just hope Andre can find a winner then...
Posted by: gracious1

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Nov 08 2012 11:10 PM

Has anyone watched 'Elementary' on CBS? That's a new one this season, and I think it's pretty good...
Posted by: kaddarsgirl

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Nov 09 2012 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: gracious1
Has anyone watched 'Elementary' on CBS? That's a new one this season, and I think it's pretty good...

Yep! I'm really enjoying it smile I like seeing a female Watson.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue Nov 13 2012 09:57 AM

It's not as good as the British version of Sherlock but it does make a nice change from the CSI franchise.
Posted by: Snowman

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Mon Nov 19 2012 07:59 AM

I was lucky enough to see the first episode of The Following at a screening event a few months back. It is superb. Not sure if it has got a US broadcast partner yet (a lot rejected it as being too "bloody") but it is showing on Sky Atlantic in the new year over here. Definitely one to check out.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue Nov 20 2012 01:15 AM

What is The Following about?
Posted by: Snowman

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue Nov 20 2012 05:02 AM

It's about a serial killer and the FBI agent who put him in jail. A serious of violent deaths occur that seem to link to the killer and the FBI agent is called in to examine the case. The serial killer has created a following - people who have bought into his cult of personality through the reading of his books (he's a former college professor) and visiting him in jail - and they are prepared to do whatever he asks of them.

It's a lot more complicated than that but I don't want to give any more away.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Nov 21 2012 10:49 AM

sounds like a good show, I see Kevin Bacon is in it.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Nov 21 2012 04:18 PM

Last Resort was cancelled. It'll only run 13 episodes. That's expected, but still disappointing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/last-resort-canceled-666-park-avenue-391442

I'm looking forward The Following. I had no idea what it was about until I read the post by Snowman, but just based on the previews and Kevin Bacon I was going to watch it.
Posted by: BxBarracuda

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Jan 13 2013 09:20 PM

Pyonir it was inevitable that "Last Resort" was going to be cancelled, especially with the time slot for the serious nature of the show.

I am glad it made it to the air, and unlike recent shows that never lasted a full season, like you, I am not going to be upset, I am just going to enjoy the rest of the episodes and creativity of the show while I hold out for a possible revival next year in a better time slot or better yet a basic cable pick up where I think it could flourish more.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Jan 13 2013 09:58 PM

That would be pretty awesome if TNT or TBS or USA picked it up. Andre kills it in the show (some of the other acting leaves a lot to be desired, though).

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Jan 20 2013 09:02 PM

I really hope they tie this season up somewhat reasonably and don't leave it completely hanging or rush and finish it sloppily.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Mon Jan 21 2013 09:14 PM

I've read that they re-wrote the last episode when they found it was not going to be renewed back in November. Sounds like they are still holding out hope that it'll get picked up somewhere though...as it sounds like some closure but not complete closure.

I just watched "The Following" premiere. I'm hooked. Great acting, great premise, just hope that it continues that way and doesn't get ridiculous, like a lot of those kinds of shows end up being. I really like the Poe backdrop to it. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes.
Posted by: ladymacb29

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue Jan 22 2013 07:19 PM

My DVR is recording 'The Taste' right now - I'm hoping it'll be a little different from all the other food shows already on the air!

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Jan 25 2013 04:52 AM

Thought the Finale of "Last Resort" was a lot to cram into one episode...and it was very intense. They did a decent job of tying up loose ends quickly. I'm glad I watched the episodes. The scenes with Braugher and Speedman were great...simply great.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Jan 27 2013 10:24 AM

They really were great scenes and they really did the best they could with this show.

The plot, the story twists, the dialouge, the characters, the actors & actresses all phenomanal.

I am going to miss the show a lot, but I am really glad they showed it and in a way the time slot they gave it told us from the begining that it wasn't going to last but the show and ABC surpassed every expectation I had for the show after I learned of the time slot and I must give kudos to ABC for the show and not getting out hopes up too high. It was great and could have only gotten better this year.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue Jan 29 2013 11:00 AM

Finally got to watch the first episode of "The Following" - Fantastic show. Here's hoping the writers keep the momentum going and that it doesn't turn into CSI.
Posted by: Copago

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Jan 30 2013 01:18 AM

Is that the Kevin Bacon one? It's being advertised here now.
Same with the Last Resort one 9both on PayTV I think)... will have to give them a go when they start.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Jan 30 2013 02:23 AM

Yep - The Following is the one with Kevin Bacon.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Feb 08 2013 03:47 PM

I like Vegas, but they really monkey wrenched everything last week and got rid of Rizzo.

I liked Rizzo as a character, not as a person, just not so much of him each episode as was starting to happen.

Rizzo allowed Savino to be the nice guy wise guy, only ruthless when he had to be, not just for fun. I think Savino's character is going to lose some depth without Rizzo there to bring more out in him.

I'm not sure how brining Jones back is going to play out either, he's an interesting character, but his story line had run it's course, I'll keep watching and see how this plays out.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Feb 09 2013 06:22 PM

I'm kinda bored with "The Taste" already smirk

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Feb 10 2013 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By: ladymacb29
I'm kinda bored with "The Taste" already smirk

That was quick! lol. I don't get into shows like that, so avoided it.

I did watch the first two episodes of "Do No Harm". I haven't decided if I like it or not. I like the actors in it...but the show...um...still don't know.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue Feb 12 2013 04:53 PM

I guess I'll never know..."Do No Harm" was cancelled after only 2 aired episodes. lol. Oh well.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Feb 13 2013 07:05 PM

Just got finished watching the first episode of "Do No Harm" and while the premise is interesting I think the way they approached the Jeckyll & Hyde storyline wasn't going to work over time.

A different job other than surgeon would have been easier.

I don't think they thought this series out well.

The move he makes with the video tape deal with his alter ego reminds me of a spy character Christian Slater played a few years back in a short lived series, where the spy agency he worked for split his personality into a family man and an agent, and they brought him in and out of it, but sometimes the personalities would come out on thier own. He would make video tapes to talk to himself in that show.
Posted by: illiniman14

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Feb 13 2013 09:20 PM

I kept my eye on 3 shows starting in January:
1. Monday Mornings - never really watched medical dramas, but it seemed different, focusing on the professional mistakes made by even the best surgeons. The pilot had a couple holes, but the second was very, very good. I don't know how long it can go until it gets stale (how many meetings until everybody just gets fired?), but it's good for now.

2. The Americans - pilot was exceptional, and I have a feeling this will end up being my favorite show of the season. I love the way it's perfectly set in the 80s (clothes/cars/etc.) and it's nice to know that in the end the US wins no matter what they do.

3. The Following - I don't know... it was well made, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, but it just didn't click for me. Maybe it's just because I recently watched 'The Raven' and the whole Edgar Allen Poe killer thing seems stale. I'll keep watching for sure, though.

Also, I've yet to watch Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome, but I have no doubt I'll love it. I can't explain how excited I would be if SyFy had another quality BSG show.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Feb 13 2013 09:45 PM

Good mention on "The Americans". I really like it so far after the first two episodes. Enough tension to maintain pace, while enough drama for everything to calm down a bit. Like you said, illiniman, they got everything set right with the 80s...including the music! haha. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Bx, wasn't that show called "My Own Worst Enemy"? I don't think i watched an episode, but I remember a lot of people weren't too happy when it was cancelled. I think it's Slater more than anything...seems any show involving him gets axed. I don't think he's that bad though.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Feb 14 2013 11:59 AM

Lol Pyonir you're right Slater has no luck with T.V. shows, there was that one, then the one where he had a civilian team that tried to identify unknown victims of murder, that a cable channell I think now has an identical show but true story style. I think you're right that it was called "My Own Worst Enemy". I think he was on another show I never watched more recently too.

I am halfway through the Americans first episode and like it, I'm only halfway though because it's good enough that I can't be doing other things and folow the show like I can with many others.

The Following has me curious enough to keep watching, the set up is very good, any time you can weave Poe in is a good start, but while good it hasn't reached that great point with me so far. It bugged me some that one of the recurrent characters is named Michael Weston, just like the main character in one of my favorite shows "Burn Notice", be original.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Feb 23 2013 03:50 PM

Bx, what did you think of the Americans? did you get through an episode or two? I'm liking it more and more.

I find myself looking forward to The Following each week. That doesn't happen often with me...very few shows have me looking forward to watching the next episode. I also really like Touch which has started back up on Friday's. I like that both of these shows are having a progressive storyline...each episode doesn't just tie up in a neat little bow each time. I get tired of the CSIs and NCISs (of which I only watch NCIS:LA and none of the others, lol).

Anyone going to give the new show "Golden Boy" a shot? I'm a big fan of Chi McBride, so I'm going to watch, to see how it is. They are promoting the heck out of it, that's for sure.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Feb 23 2013 05:07 PM

I have seen the first two episodes of 'Americans", I like the characters and actors. I'm enjoying the show, wishing each show was longer.

I am going to be watching "Golden Boy", the set up of the young hot shot who might be better in the press than on the streets paired up with the grizzly veteran always intrigues me. At least I think that is the set up from the many promos I've seen.

I've seen the first two "Monday Mornings", I do like the title change from "The Omanji" how it was originally promoted, making it more about the group than one character. Illiniman, I find the errors they are making not on the side of malpractice, but more not being perfect and the group of them striving for perfection, as well as the fact everyone is held accountable, which you don't always see.

As far as "The Following" goes I didn't see this week's episode yet, but the one before it was lacking to me, I'm not liking the relationship dynamic going on in the house where they are keeping hte child. I wish they would have kept the Tennesse serial killer wife alive longer, they burnt her character out quick with one big move.

Just starting to watch the new "Monday Mornings", perhaps some of these doctors are going way beyond the not just being perfect, to the "I know better than anyone else, forget the rules" part. He saved the guy who lost 7 years of his life's life, but it's going to far with ignoring the rules, I can except getting the signature, but once he called for a lawyer and he shut down the other doctor who had questions about going forward at that moment seemed a bit too much, even if it got his memory back, but the episode isn't over yet.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Feb 23 2013 09:54 PM

I'll agree that most of them so far have been simple breaches of etiquette, although Bamber's character (I just want to call him Apollo after so many years of BSG) could have been potentially sued twice now, but had a really nice lady and a man who couldn't remember anyway. Just in case anybody hasn't seen the third episode -
Click to reveal..
The two lawsuits settled didn't really happen on camera, either. The chef's surgery simply didn't happen and the donor patient we didn't see die - just the aftermath with the doctor and the donor's mother.

Like I said, I don't usually watch medical dramas, and I'm certainly still interested in it, I just don't know how long it can go with this format.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Feb 24 2013 07:51 AM

Agreed, it was nice to see the strong reminder of having at least some bedside manner, no matter what else is at stake or how focused on the procedures the surgeons have to be.
Posted by: rayven80

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Feb 24 2013 11:18 AM

I really like "Elementary". "The Following" isn't bad but it's not on my list of "must see the moment it's on".
I miss "Leverage", although I guess it's better that they ended it before it got tired.
According to rumor, "Longmire" is supposed to be upcoming this summer for season two.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Mar 01 2013 03:40 PM

The last episode of "The Following" really disappointed me. They took far too many liberties to make it all work out the way it did. I like a bit of realism (although I know it's "just a tv show" and am fine with some liberties) in shows like that, and there were so many leaps in the last episode, it has almost ruined it for me.

Convenient coincidences are usually fine...but outright ridiculousness and improbabilities are not okay.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Mar 02 2013 06:31 PM

I know what you mean, I just got caught up with the show.

There is too much mystery regarding these "Followers", I need to know the bad guys are truly worthy of matching wits with the good guys.

The first episodes were all about and only about the group, now all of a sudden they are a just a small sleeper cell.

It makes for a better show to have more followers, but please, at least mention that there are others at some point before this last episode, that there is a Roderick pulling stings out there. And surprise the lead FBI investigator was brought up in a cult, how did that not come up at some point.

I find Jacob to be a poorly written character, as well as Emma, to the point that no acting could overcome. Paul is bearable, but the most unlikeable. The computer bad guy made no sense, especially for him to be left alone.

Emma, Paul, Jacob and the computer guy have proved fairly useless in the last couple of episodes and nowhere near ready to match wits with the FBI, who don't seem to work as a team well, or plan strategies themselves.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Mar 02 2013 09:34 PM

My biggest problem in the latest episode was
Click to reveal..
the SWAT team. First of all the two guys that got shot in the woods, were in full ballistic Kevlar (including helmets) and were shot by two guys with handguns from, what, minimum 10 feet away? And they were instantly dead? Then, in the house, they stopped for a minute before shooting the other two SWAT members. if you absolutely anything about SWAT teams you know they train and work together so often they are almost like brothers/sisters. They would have instantly recognized two people they didn't know. And again, wearing Kevlar and they were dead instantly.

Not to mention you have an entire SWAT team...and it's only 4 people? There should be a minimum of 6 at the very least. Their perimeters are set up so much better than that too. it was laughable.

It was all a little hard to digest. Like I said, I'm willing to overlook little holes here and there, but this is many, many, big holes. All to make it convenient for the story.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Mar 03 2013 08:27 AM

Definitely, good ideas, poorly executed by the writing.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Mar 08 2013 03:59 AM

*dies* Nobody has mentioned Zero Hour? AHHHH! I absolutely LOVED how steampunk it looked with the clocks and gears. I never tire of the Hitlet concept (as I have read other people were). I thought it was amazing, intellectual, suspenseful and fast paced. I am SO sad it was cancelled. I did read online that ABC will most likely air the rest of the episodes during the summer.... but still. So sad. frown

The Following is amazing. I love Kevin Bacon & Shawn Ashmore. I LOVED him in Frozen.

I am a Steven Pasquale fan - I thought he was hil.ar.ious in Rescue Me. Do Harm was so boring. I always thought the Jeckyll & Hyde portrayal was more suited for Dexter than a network show. *le sigh*

I am looking foward to Hannibal & Under The Dome (in the summer). I enjoyed the Stephen King book, and even though they have altered it a bit, I will remain unbiased until the show airs. smile

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Mar 08 2013 06:09 PM

I had planned on giving Zero Hour a shot, but was already watching Big Bang Theory and recording Community, so I didn't have space for it.

Have to agree with you live4trivia, that Steven Pasquale is a fun actor. That's probably the reason more than anything that I watched Do No Harm, but I wasn't surprised it was cancelled so fast.

Anyone watching "Golden Boy"? lol, I really like it. Chi McBride rocks in it and the other actors are pretty good. It reminds me a bit of Detroit 187 which didn't last long, so I'm hoping this one sticks around a bit more. They are already damaging it though. It's regular spot is Tuesdays at 9pm Central, and they are airing a new episode tonight (Friday). If you are going to keep it on Tuesday, why show a new episode on Friday? It's like they want it to fail...

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Mar 08 2013 07:50 PM

I wasn't sure what to do with Zero Hour, I have the 3 episodes on DVR still.

Golden Boy has some intrigue to it, I've just seen the first episode, good characters and Chi McBride looks like my favorite in this show so far. The main character reminds me a bit of the fast up the ladder character from LA Confidential. I am very interested to see what methods he uses to climb up so fast to the top. Also if he will turn out to be more good guy or more bad guy.

It's a CBS show, so good time slots are scarce lol.

They were airing it at 10 in place of Vegas, which I am liking so far and another hit of theirs NCIS:LA has the 9 PM Tuesday slot.

Body of Proof shook some things up and threw me off by starting with a 2 parter that seemed more suited for a finale to a season, but I'm not sure what to make of this last episode, but it has me interested, and the political angle should be interesting to watch.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Mar 09 2013 12:31 AM

I had planned on giving Zero Hour a shot, but was already watching Big Bang Theory and recording Community, so I didn't have space for it.

Have to agree with you live4trivia, that Steven Pasquale is a fun actor. That's probably the reason more than anything that I watched Do No Harm, but I wasn't surprised it was cancelled so fast.

Anyone watching "Golden Boy"? lol, I really like it. Chi McBride rocks in it and the other actors are pretty good. It reminds me a bit of Detroit 187 which didn't last long, so I'm hoping this one sticks around a bit more. They are already damaging it though. It's regular spot is Tuesdays at 9pm Central, and they are airing a new episode tonight (Friday). If you are going to keep it on Tuesday, why show a new episode on Friday? It's like they want it to fail...

Aww, that's a shame! Zero Hour was a really good show. I thought it had promise. Maybe some shows are more for a niche audience than others.

I thought the same thing when it came to Steven. Maybe he does better as a supporting actor than a lead actor.

I have not tried Golden Boy, but I'm hoping it doesn't have the same fate as Detroit 187! I live right across the border from Detroit, and was so excited to see this show develop. Sadly like you said it was cancelled within one season. Not to mentioned ABC pre-empted the show many a times - even for a special about Charlie Sheen and his stupidity! Grr.

Originally Posted By: BxBarracuda
I wasn't sure what to do with Zero Hour, I have the 3 episodes on DVR still.

Golden Boy has some intrigue to it, I've just seen the first episode, good characters and Chi McBride looks like my favorite in this show so far. The main character reminds me a bit of the fast up the ladder character from LA Confidential. I am very interested to see what methods he uses to climb up so fast to the top. Also if he will turn out to be more good guy or more bad guy.

It's a CBS show, so good time slots are scarce lol.

They were airing it at 10 in place of Vegas, which I am liking so far and another hit of theirs NCIS:LA has the 9 PM Tuesday slot.

Body of Proof shook some things up and threw me off by starting with a 2 parter that seemed more suited for a finale to a season, but I'm not sure what to make of this last episode, but it has me interested, and the political angle should be interesting to watch.

I read CBS has moved Vegas to Fridays, to make more room for Golden Boy. I'm not sure if that's the kiss of death for Vegas. Time will tell I suppose!

I have not watched Body Of Proof though. I always thought the best female coroner was portrayed by Jill Hennessy in Crossing Jordan. :P

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Mar 09 2013 12:44 AM

Has Zero Hour already been taken off the air then? I was initially intrigued after seeing its premise but the trailers I saw made it seem like some strange conspiracy/Da Vinci Code plot with Nazis and a watch. I couldn't pull the trigger on it.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Mar 09 2013 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: illiniman14
Has Zero Hour already been taken off the air then? I was initially intrigued after seeing its premise but the trailers I saw made it seem like some strange conspiracy/Da Vinci Code plot with Nazis and a watch. I couldn't pull the trigger on it.

Unfortunately yes. frown You can get a pretty good synopsis of each episode on Wikipedia. On the last episode aired, the idea that Einstein was involved in the conspiracy was extremely intruiging. I love the way modern TV puts twists on actual people and events of history... I might be the only one though. :P

I'm hoping once ABC airs rest of the episodes during the summer, the TV show will come out on DVD. Alcatraz was a mid-season show and was cancelled last May - and now that is available on DVD as well. Which by the way was another good show.

Another recent great show cancelled was Alphas. It only last two seasons, which is a bummer. Maybe Zero Hour could have replaced it's time slot on that network. *pouts*

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Mar 09 2013 08:09 AM

For next week they have Vegas on Tuesday, a reapeat of the intial episode I think and Golden Boy on Friday again.

There is no doubt Crossing Jordan was great across the board, the back up cast in the medical office is on that same page from the begining, and with the new edition this year or an old flame of Dana Delany's that is another similarity with Crossing Jordan that has been added this year. That is a nice catch L4T, I hadn't put that part together yet, the shake ups have certainly made it much more like Crossing Jordan than it was before, just that Jordan is 20 years older now and tougher.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Mar 09 2013 04:39 PM

That's very odd! On EW.com they say Golden Boy is doing so well, CBS has decided to keep it on Tuesdays. Vegas will be move to Friday's starting on April 5th. I wonder if it will do better there?! I do like Dennis Quaid, and I hope this show will work for him!

Ah, I didn't know that Body Of Proof was so similar to Crossing Jordan! I heard during the two years it's been on the air, it has had it's highs and lows. Do you think the show is pretty good?

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Mar 10 2013 07:44 AM

It became much more like Crossing Jordan this year than last.

I have enjoyed it, they have a good mix of characters anchored by Dana Delaney. I like the full range of characters, their interaction and minor story line threads that run through the show more than the cases they work on. They give the characters good depth.

I'd rather see Vegas stay on over most other shows, but I can see where having Quaid and Chiklis could make it a costly show to produce, as well Moss being on the show. Nicholas Pileggi is a big name that is also involved behind the scenes

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Mon Mar 11 2013 03:54 AM

Well that's good to hear! I haven't give Body Of Proof a chance, but after your review, it does sound pretty intruiging. Isn't Jeri Ryan on that show too? I always thought she was an underrated actress. Her role in the short lived CBS show Shark was fantastic. But James Woods always steals the show. :P

Ah, I can see how that could be a problem. They are big name actors, but it seems like they're doing a good job keeping the show afloat. I guess we will see in May/June if Vegas is renewed for another season or not. smile

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue Apr 02 2013 10:59 AM

Golden Boy, Monday Mornings and Elementary are the current 3 shows I look forward to each week, Justified is finishing it's season today but it had been on the list.

The Americans is right up there too and I am only a couple of episodes behind with that right now.

I am really liking Go On too and looking foward to Vegas returning.

Person of Interest has hit a bit of a lull at the moment, The Following is watchable, Body of Proff enjoyable, as is Modern Family and Whitney as well.

Raising Hope finished their season early and was good, I like the 2nd level 80's & 90's TV pop culture jokes on Cougar Town like the episode with Seinfeld references, which also had an Alanis Morrisette bit in it.

Not sure why I am still watching Revolution, but I am and was even indifferent about my dissapointment with the 1st return episode last week.

Walking Dead has been good, I liked Merle being more involved, an intereting , character, and I can't wait for the Governor to be off the show.

Big Bang Theory is starting to run out of steam, but still enjoyable.

CSI is hanging in there, while some episodes seem rehashed a few have been surprising better than expected this season.

The Mentalist is teasing in terms of the Red John thread this year, I was not happy it was a reapeat this last week, I can't wait for an intense finish to the season chasing the shadows of Red John.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue Apr 02 2013 06:43 PM

I don't know why I like Cougar Town, but I do. It killed me when they did the kind of "Scrubs" reunion...with some characters from the past show. lol.

I'm going to give Hannibal a shot this week (Thursday night I think). The subject matter intrigues me, but the story has been kind of beat to death. So we'll see.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Apr 03 2013 06:19 PM

Cougar Town is just entertainment, and even the witty parts like the Scrubs and Seinfeld threads are about other purely entertaining shows. It's like a 20 minute vacation for my brain.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Apr 07 2013 02:12 AM

In case anyone hasn't seen Hannibal yet, I won't say much. I'll only say that it is far, far darker (and has more gore) than I had imagined. I was thinking a cross between CSI and Criminal Minds...and it's nothing like that. I'm surprised it was ok'ed for network television to be honest.

I liked the first episode...more intrigued than anything.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Apr 07 2013 08:18 AM

I have Hannibal on DVR and am looking forward to watching it later today if time allows.

I think I know what is bugging me about The Following the most, it's how inept everyone who isn't part of Joe's following has been. Starting with the FBI, especially thier manhunt skills following the farm and when Joe's wife was just taken, then no hacker ever stumbled upon the secret portal and word leaked out over years, to how many visitors were allowed to visit Joe and boldly talk to him about some horrible crimes. It's tough to believe that all the followers were able to control themselves from doing violent things, or at least ever get caught, while waiting for Joe to escape and none ever bragged about being part of this following at some point.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Apr 07 2013 10:05 AM

I have Hannibal on DVR and am looking forward to watching it later today if time allows.

I think I know what is bugging me about The Following the most, it's how inept everyone who isn't part of Joe's following has been. Starting with the FBI, especially thier manhunt skills following the farm and when Joe's wife was just taken, then no hacker ever stumbled upon the secret portal and word leaked out over years, to how many visitors were allowed to visit Joe and boldly talk to him about some horrible crimes. It's tough to believe that all the followers were able to control themselves from doing violent things, or at least ever get caught, while waiting for Joe to escape and none ever bragged about being part of this following at some point.

Well if all of this were true, The Following would be a very boring show.
These shows are supposed to suspend reality and create a world where anything is possible - in this case a cult following who's been active for almost 10 years and are smarter and diabolical than the FBI ever thought. This is meant for entertainment, not real life experiences. That's the fun part! The chills and spills, twists and turns, and the unexpected for a whole hour. laugh

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Apr 07 2013 10:10 AM

In case anyone hasn't seen Hannibal yet, I won't say much. I'll only say that it is far, far darker (and has more gore) than I had imagined. I was thinking a cross between CSI and Criminal Minds...and it's nothing like that. I'm surprised it was ok'ed for network television to be honest.

I liked the first episode...more intrigued than anything.

I absolutely love Hannibal. The creative way Will can recreate crime scenes, and the way his mind works to solve them - is definitely fresh and 21st century thinking.

I'm a horror movie buff and I thought the gore was purposeful and just enough for network TV. I'm used to horror movies with body parts flying everywhere, blood splatter on the walls, as well as the way people are mutilated.
Hannibal is an almost-mini-horror-movie, and I have seen plenty of good reviews for the first episode. Here's to one full season of a new TV show. *crosses fingers*

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Apr 07 2013 10:26 AM

As I have said before I like shows where the two sides are good matches for each other, worthy opponents, this isn't one of those. When the bad guys are inept it makes me just as bothered.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Apr 07 2013 08:44 PM

The gore was purposeful, that's for sure. I didn't have a problem with it (Dexter is one of my favorite shows, so gore doesn't bother me), I was just surprised the censors let it on network TV. I would expect it on a network like HBO or Showtime, but not NBC. The show is pushing the limits, and I do like that. I, also, do like the unique way they are presenting the case(s) through Will's mind.

(I won't go into my diatribe about how ridiculous the censoring "rules" are for network TV and the 'this gets allowed, but this doesn't' debate)

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Mon Apr 08 2013 08:58 PM

Is this Will more like the one from my by far favorite movie from the series, the first one on film, Manhunter, which was later redone as the book title Red Dragon?
Posted by: scorpion1960

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue Apr 09 2013 09:45 PM

Has anyone here tuned in for "Body of Proof"? It stars Dana Delany as a medical examiner. It is on ABC. It has been really good. I am also big on NCIS, Person of Interest, and my guilty pleasure is Hawaii Five-O.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Wed Apr 10 2013 02:34 PM

Can't help ya with that Bx, I don't remember anything about Red Dragon and have only seen Manhunter once...when I was very young.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Apr 11 2013 07:43 PM

Oh yeah, Will Graham is the character from the first movie and Crawford was in it too.

This is a much younger version of the two.

Graham originally played by Will Peterson and Crawford was orginally played by Dennis Farina.

I'm glad they picked this one over Norton.

The crime scene breakdown is very similiar and that is a good thing.

On first glance this is a very good earlier look at Graham and Lector.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu Apr 11 2013 07:44 PM

I'm liking Body of Proof, they took some characters I really liked out but the cast is so strong and led well that it doesn't miss a beat.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Apr 12 2013 04:22 AM

The weird thing about Hannibal is that it's set in present day. It's like a prequel, but modern day.

I will say this, after two episodes I'm blown away by the cinematography and imagery. Fantastic work by the crew on set design as well (like the crime scenes tonight with the mushrooms...just wow). That, alone, makes the show worth watching.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Apr 12 2013 06:19 AM

I have 10 minutes left in first episode, eyes betrayed me twoards the end.

A lot of direct references from the movie, "where is the cat", how he talks himself into the killers mind and what happens if someone startles him out of it, the image of face in freezing water from bottom of sink. The affectations this new actor developed from Petersons portrayal are eerily spot on.

Hannibal is more Bryan Cox than Anthony Hopkins I think , though very thin like a Jeremy Irons than the other two. I for one liked Cox's portayal, though Hopkins was also amazing, the creepy calm which Cox makes the phone call to get Peterson's address still gives me the creeps.

An outstanding use of Thomas Harris's characters, you can feel the respect the creator and writer of this show has for Harris and Michael Mann's visual vision of the book.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Apr 20 2013 07:19 PM

NBC is skipping an episode of Hannibal (Episode 4) because of "disturbing content"...but only pulling it in the US. They are showing the episode elsewhere. Personally, I think that's ridiculous. You are willing to show bodies displayed on deer antlers, glorified blood spatter scenes, a scene where the good Dr is supposedly cutting up human lung for eating...but this is "disturbing". Put a warning on it (like you do for every other episode) and run it. If it's too disturbing people won't watch. OR, if you are going to pull the episode, don't show it elsewhere. Either show it, or not.

More info for anyone interested: http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/nbc-pull...ngs-1200390579/
Posted by: george48

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Apr 20 2013 09:16 PM

There is currently a show produced by A&E,that i am finding very interesting called, 'Bates Motel'. It is set in modern times, but it predates 'Psycho', in that it tells a probable story in how Norman Bates becomes the man he came to be.
The interplay between the actress who plays his mother and the actor who plays Norman is very well done, as well as creepily disturbing.
The people in the town are hiding a very big secret and the man who plays the Sheriff, in another twist is a dead ringer for Anthony Perkins. Awesome. It's a can't miss show for me.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Apr 21 2013 04:45 PM

Sounds interesting George. I think I saw a snippet of an ad for that, but not quite sure. Didn't think it'd be up my alley. I might have to check it out now. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri Apr 26 2013 06:05 AM

I missed first episode of "Bates Motel" but saw the next 2 and first minutes of 4th, I have no issues with the show, but it's not drawing me in either.

The 2nd episode of "Hannibal" is dissapointing me, I'm not liking the approach being taken for the Will charcter nor his handler's.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Apr 27 2013 07:31 AM

I think how much I liked "Manhunter" and the place on the mantle, not inherited, I have place the movie and Will Peterson's portayal of the character of Will Graham in my mental room of great movies and characters leaves me unable to be fully objective while watching "Hannibal", though I am liking the show overall.

As Pyonir has said the vivid imagry is outstanding, like a painting coming to life at some points. The close up imagry of the cup of coffee mixing up stood out for me. Though certain imagry like when we first saw the Tattler reporter preparing her article on the computer aren't needed for this story.

The first 2 episodes use a lot of pieces of the "Manhunter"/"Red Dragon" script and at some point it will have to move past that and become fully it's own.

I think "Bates Motel" has a lot to it and depth, but at this point I feel too much has been left to the imagination and is moving too slow for me. The town intrigues me more than the family unit.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat Apr 27 2013 03:46 PM

The close up imagry of the cup of coffee mixing up stood out for me.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it. It's such a simple shot, not really interesting, but was quite beautiful (for lack of a better word).

This weeks episode, the imagery of the angels was...again, like art. As gory as it was, it was also breathtaking.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat May 04 2013 05:36 PM

"The Following" I'm glad it's over, no change in my thoughts of the show since last post.

"Revolution" I am finding all main characters to be insufferable, especially Miles, with finding out every other week how much of a horrible person he was and is now the undeafeatble hero, the selfishness of the people who worked on the bots that took away the power, and most of them walk around like the righteous ones. I am finding the characters from their past to often be the better stories for me and more intriguing charachters. The only main character I can even come close to relating to is Giancarlo Esposito.

"Golden Boy" I can't say enough good stuff, especially about the 4 main detectives, all who are individuals, with mostly likes of each other, but some strong dislikes of each other. Watching them interact to form a team unit, while still be sneaky and self serving when they can. Main character is great as well.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sat May 04 2013 06:41 PM

I'll probably watch the season premiere of "The Following" in the fall, see the ridiculousness they come up with to continue the story, then give up on it. It started out great, and just continued to spiral out of control and take a nosedive in quality of writing.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun May 05 2013 10:06 AM

Sometimes I get the feelings some new shows with season long themes are gathering feedback from sources and adjusting their stories accordingly, no matter the damage to continuity. If that is so, the sources they are using aren't looking for the same things out of a T.V. show that I am.

Best Person of Interest episode of the year this past week. I really like the new character of Samantha Shaw she is a great addition.

This old Harold is getting scarier.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun May 05 2013 12:10 PM

Am I to understand that Revolution is still on TV? I gave up after 3 or 4 episodes - thin plot, everybody looked far too good to have been without power for 15 years or so (white teeth, makeup, trimmed beards, etc.), suddenly people had muskets, there's no steam/hydroelectric/solar power for some reason... couldn't they even use a potato to power a clock? Have they addressed any of that in the meantime?

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun May 05 2013 01:16 PM

"Revolution" returned after a long hiatus.

They have explained somethings and I do think the 2nd half has a much better storyline than the first, but that doesn't mean I like the main characters nor am I thrilled with the writing and dialouge in general

It's a show for me like the "Following" that I will listen to over my shoulder while I am typing a post like this and my attention doesn't get caught that often that I have to rewind the DVR to catch something pivotal.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun May 05 2013 06:04 PM

I heard Smash is being cancelled...

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Mon May 13 2013 05:47 PM

Shows that have been cancelled so far: Touch, Deception, Whitney, 1600 Penn, Guys with Kids, Up All Night, Go On, The New Normal, CSI:NY, Golden Boy, Vegas, Rules of Engagement, Body of Proof, Red Widow, Happy Endings, How to Live With your Parents..., Family Tools.

Taken from here: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/the-renew-cancel-index/

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Mon May 13 2013 08:06 PM

From that list I enjoy in order listed, Whitney, Go On, Golden Boy, Vegas and Body of Proof.

Most dissapointed in Golden Boy and Go On being on the list.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Mon May 13 2013 08:24 PM

I really liked Touch and Golden Boy. They didn't give Touch much of a fair shake...moving it constantly, abbreviated seasons so you never really knew when it was on. Just about zero advertising too.

I did watch Whitney too...thought it was getting better as the episodes and seasons went on. Oh well.
Posted by: mehaul

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue May 14 2013 04:06 AM

I've been watching this season of "Mad Men". I was under the impression that this season they'd reveal which ad executive had the wife who was a witch and casts spells by wiggling her nose (a series twist to bring in the Potter crowd). Did I miss it?

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue May 14 2013 06:06 AM

"Whitney" wasn't the run of the mill show.

I liked Whitney's interaction with Alex.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue May 14 2013 02:20 PM

"Whitney" wasn't the run of the mill show.

I liked Whitney's interaction with Alex.

I liked Roxanne the best. I guess I could relate to her sarcastic, pessimistic side. :p

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Tue May 14 2013 02:48 PM

Roxanne was a good character and the characters were themselves, not out to fit it with the crowd.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri May 17 2013 03:28 AM

This post contains spoilers from the Hannibal episode shown 5/16/2013. If you haven't seen it yet, don't read.

I was really disappointed that they didn't keep Tobias alive for a few episodes. I really liked the character, and thought the dynamic between him and Hannibal could have been really great. Even if Tobias had just disappeared for a while, then came back. The episode tonight was quite good.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun May 26 2013 07:59 PM

I watched the first episode of "Motive" and it didn't really draw me in.

The way they chose to tell the story did not interest me, the characters didn't appeal to me, and I didn't like the editing that much either.

Which means this show is sure to be renewed next year lol.

In terms of "Hannibal" I like it, but I wish it would things along quicker.

"Revolution" I feel like the little picture is being told where the small band of good guys always win each episode, but in the big picture their cause is always losing, and so little of the big picture is part of the story.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Thu May 30 2013 02:38 PM

I'm okay with the pacing in Hannibal so far. If they cancel it and no one else picks it up, I won't be happy with the pacing though. lol

I haven't been watching any new shows, don't think I will. I'm looking forward to the final seasons of Dexter and Breaking Bad though. I also saw the pilot for the new show "Ray Donovan" that is going to be premiering after Dexter and really liked it, so looking forward to that too.

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Fri May 31 2013 05:50 PM

For anyone else that cares, Hannibal has been renewed for season 2: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/30/hannibal-renewed-for-season-2

Re: New shows 2012 TV season - Sun Jun 02 2013 07:26 AM

Watching "Hannibal" the heavy focus on the food is odd, or more the visual preperation and representations of the food.

Seeing the personal histories and interactions Hannibal has with all the main characters is interesting, but with everyone under or in the process of going under his svengali quality the hunt is lost, making it more than unique, especially on regular T.V..

P.S., I have only just finished the large dinner party episode.

I also wish the show had someone who wasn't under Lector's aura to oppose him.

Click to reveal..
I really hope Will's strays are left out of anything between Will and one of the killers.
I'm barely into the next episode and I think what I just hoped wouldn't happen might, or at the least they have brought it into the realm of possibility and it will be inevitable now.