RIP Maeve Binchy

Posted by: ren33

RIP Maeve Binchy - Mon Jul 30 2012 08:13 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19057922
A sad loss. Many people loved her books
Posted by: agony

Re: RIP Maeve Binchy - Tue Jul 31 2012 12:59 AM

Me being one of them. As a rule, her type of book was not really my kind of thing at all, but there was just something about her - her personality shone through so strongly in her books, and it was such an appealing personality.
Posted by: Chavs

Re: RIP Maeve Binchy - Tue Jul 31 2012 03:24 AM

I'm very sad to hear of her death.

She was a local lady, and I've never heard a bad word said about her. Not many people pass through life without making enemies. She seemed to. That speaks volumes, I think.

The couple of times that I encountered her, her genuine warmth and truthfulness just shone, and her wicked laugh was infectious. She was a generous and fun woman, her very sharp insight and intelligence could well have produced someone more cynical but instead she found positivity and humour in every situation.
Posted by: TabbyTom

Re: RIP Maeve Binchy - Tue Jul 31 2012 03:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear this. I don't know her work well, but I remember enjoying The Lilac Bus some time ago. Maybe I should read a little more now.
Posted by: tezza1551

Re: RIP Maeve Binchy - Tue Jul 31 2012 04:30 AM

I have almost everything she has ever written, including a couple of short books she wrote for a program to encourage adult literacy.
As Chavs says "positivity and humour".
Rest peacefully, Maeve... I will miss your writings.
Posted by: playmate1111

Re: RIP Maeve Binchy - Tue Jul 31 2012 07:50 AM

So sorry to hear this news. I loved her books and will miss her writing.
Posted by: demurechicky

Re: RIP Maeve Binchy - Tue Jul 31 2012 08:55 AM

I am saddened to hear that Maeve Binchy has passed away. A wonderful, warm and witty author whose books are timeless and will live on!
Posted by: dumb_bunny

Re: RIP Maeve Binchy - Tue Jul 31 2012 09:00 AM

This is very sad news. I have been in love with her books since Light a Penny Candle. I will miss her writing very much.
Posted by: Aedan57

Re: RIP Maeve Binchy - Tue Jul 31 2012 01:46 PM

Taoiseach Kenny spoke well when he said of the news "Today we lost a national treasure". Not only a fine writer but also a fine person.
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: RIP Maeve Binchy - Wed Aug 01 2012 02:38 PM

She was such a lovely lady, who didn't let her success go to her head. I loved Light a Penny Candle, which I read as a young teen. I was less enthusiastic about her other work, not because it wasn't as good or enjoyable, but because the storylines were so often so similar.

Her writing was enjoyed by many and she will be sadly missed.