Scottish Obituary

Posted by: vendome

Scottish Obituary - Sun Jan 06 2013 07:33 AM

A Scottish woman goes to the local newspaper office to see that the obituary for her recently deceased husband is published.

The obit editor informs her that there is a charge of 50 cents per word.

She pauses, reflects, and then she says, "Well, then, let it read, 'Angus MacPherson died'."

Amused at the woman's thrift, the editor tells her that there is a seven word minimum for
all obituaries.

She thinks it over and in a few seconds says, "In that case, let it read.......

'Angus MacPherson died. Golf clubs for sale'."
Posted by: sue943

Re: Scottish Obituary - Sat Jan 12 2013 08:17 AM

smile
Posted by: JanIQ

Re: Scottish Obituary - Sat Jan 12 2013 12:08 PM

And why doesn't she take up golf herself?
Posted by: zippolover

Re: Scottish Obituary - Tue Jun 11 2013 01:55 AM

Because they are men's clubs, not ladies
Posted by: Dizart

Re: Scottish Obituary - Wed Jun 12 2013 04:02 PM

Surprise, surprise, another disguided undeucated slur on Scottish people
Posted by: Copago

Re: Scottish Obituary - Wed Jun 12 2013 10:29 PM

But it was a funny disguised uneducated slur on Scottish people ...
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: Scottish Obituary - Wed Jun 12 2013 10:46 PM

I'm Canadian by birth, but at least 3/4 Scottish by descent (not sure how those English, Irish and Polish personages snuck into the family picture - brigands no doubt lol). I thought it was pretty funny. Golf, after all (so they say), was invented in Scotland (as was curling, my other favourite sport - and hey just TRY selling curling rocks at a garage sale - you'd have to pay two small boys and a man to cart them away LOL!).

JaniQ: there is never enough golf in people's lives (male or female). Love the game (apparently I'm a glutton for self-abuse lol). Looking forward to retirement myself : )
Posted by: Jabberwok

Re: Scottish Obituary - Thu Jun 13 2013 12:34 AM

Well, we're not allowed to tease Americans Dizart, few of them can cope with it. laugh

When my father was getting maudlin, and composing his epitaph at length, we pointed out that they charge by the letter on tombstones. Being a thrifty type, he decided not to die on that occasion and to have a fit of the giggles instead.
Scotland, the country that defeated the Romans, given us so many inventors, engineers, and creative thinkers and is heading for independence.

Exporter of manufactured tartans to the gullible.

'What's black and blue and floats upside down in the Minch?
Do you know that one Dizart?