Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 19 of 19 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19
Topic Options
#1038624 - Fri Mar 21 2014 07:42 AM Re: More than one Quiz under review [Re: TonyTheDad]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Connecticut USA
The editors are a patient and busy lot. I've never been led astray by any and never gotten bad advice. In fact, if not for their courteous suggestions and corrections, I'd still be writing the same drivel as I started with.

#1039205 - Tue Mar 25 2014 09:01 PM Re: More than one Quiz under review [Re: TonyTheDad]
BarbaraMcI Offline
Participant

Loc: Ohio USA
I will wait a month for my quiz to go online. I will wait two months. I just want some kind of way to confirm that it actually is IN the queue, because I can't figure out how to tell and it's been 17 days. I know it's a busy category that explodes during Spring Break. If it's at the bottom of the queue and is going to take till Christmas, so be it. Just -- how do I know it didn't fall back in behind my sock drawer with my nail file?

#1039206 - Tue Mar 25 2014 09:08 PM Re: Quiz Queues...Waiting Time [Re: TonyTheDad]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
If it is your quiz about the Mills Brothers, it does not appear to have been submitted yet.

To check, any time, go to My Quizzes - Edit and look at the right hand column headed Online?, which will indicate Offline, Submitted or Yes with a date.

Edited by spanishliz (Tue Mar 25 2014 09:10 PM)
Edit Reason: Restore correct subject

#1039362 - Wed Mar 26 2014 03:00 PM Re: Quiz Queues...Waiting Time [Re: TonyTheDad]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
You can also go to your Author Central page and it will list your works in progress and your currently submitted quizzes, if any.

http://www.funtrivia.com/author.cfm

#1081200 - Sat Jan 17 2015 01:04 PM Quiz Submissions
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
Has this question been asked previously?

After submitting a quiz or a crossword, it's useful to be able to see how long it may be that your submission will sit in the queue awaiting editing, but I think it would be useful to see exactly how many submissions are awaiting editing in any given quiz category.

Would this involve a lot of work or is it even possible?

#1081202 - Sat Jan 17 2015 01:27 PM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: sisterseagull]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
The issue with this is that not all quizzes are approached in chronological order for varying reasons. Even if we give a warning saying 'Your quiz is tenth in line', seven of the ones ahead of you may be waiting for a specific editor and two could be on hold since those authors have already had quizzes placed online that hour (for instance), so your quiz could be the first on the docket for editing.

Likewise, the quiz could be at the top of the queue, tagged for an editor, waiting for a few days, and others could be going on ahead of yours since they are not waiting for someone specific. Then our queue count seems unfair.

The editors want to get to your quiz quickly; we promise. smile
We don't, however, want people to expect something and be angry or disappointed when we can't deliver on that expectation. Telling someone their quiz is next when it isn't doesn't look good on anyone, regardless of the valid reasons. The amount of this we can minimize, the better.

#1081220 - Sat Jan 17 2015 02:39 PM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: sisterseagull]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
That's cool Kyle... I wasn't thinking about a list showing players exactly where their quizzes were in the queue, simply how many there are.

I'm not overly concerned; I think I've been here long enough now to know how the system works. I have a crossword in the pipeline that's been there for a week or so now and a quiz that I only submitted earlier today... I thought that it might be interesting to see what sort of workload the editors have to deal with.

Thanks again!

#1081229 - Sat Jan 17 2015 04:00 PM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: sisterseagull]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
If you see that there are seven quizzes in the queue, and see six go online, it's not unreasonable to expect that yours will be next.

Except that with the reality of how editing works, it might not be - and that could hurt.

#1081230 - Sat Jan 17 2015 04:14 PM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: sisterseagull]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Isn't this similar to what is happening when we are given approximately how many days it will take?
If a person sees that the queue is 1-3 days long, then some authors will expect it to take that long even if that's not the case. Likewise, if a person sees that the queue has 5 quizzes ahead of them, then some authors will expect there quiz to be the sixth on-line even if that's not the case.

#1081279 - Sun Jan 18 2015 02:25 PM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: Buddy1]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: Buddy1
Isn't this similar to what is happening when we are given approximately how many days it will take?
If a person sees that the queue is 1-3 days long, then some authors will expect it to take that long even if that's not the case. Likewise, if a person sees that the queue has 5 quizzes ahead of them, then some authors will expect there quiz to be the sixth on-line even if that's not the case.

This is why we tell authors to take that page with a huge grain of salt. It's one thing to give wildly approximate times, but it's another to tell them exactly how many quizzes are in the queue and where in line theirs is.
We simply don't want to give expectations that we can't fulfill and we want to avoid the inevitable "well why isn't mine being looked at since it was first", which is something we already get without people knowing where in the queue they really are (and under what circumstances, ie. tagged for a specific editor).

#1081323 - Sun Jan 18 2015 08:34 PM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: TonyTheDad]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Editors here are highly overworked, in my opinion. The only times I got "anxious" about time frames was during the amazing races, and I think they all did an admirable job of trying to keep up with the extra work thrust upon them

I have never worried about crossword puzzles. The editor(s) can take as long as they want, since it takes "ages" for me to come up with another one lol.

#1081602 - Wed Jan 21 2015 11:45 AM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: Jakeroo]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Quote:
I have a crossword in the pipeline that's been there for a week or so now and a quiz that I only submitted earlier today... I thought that it might be interesting to see what sort of workload the editors have to deal with.

Crosswords are looked after by specific editors according to category.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1081814 - Fri Jan 23 2015 12:12 AM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: TonyTheDad]
LoveAnimals555 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Somewhere in Heaven, India
Is rough queue size the correct indication of how much time it would take to have your quiz online?

#1081815 - Fri Jan 23 2015 12:35 AM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: TonyTheDad]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
It is only a VERY rough estimate, automatically produced by an algorithm that looks at the number of quizzes in the queue and how long they have been there. It does not take into account all the other factors that can make a big difference - if your quiz is for a category in which only one editor is editing at the time, the others will skip yours and go to one below it; if it's a photo quiz it takes much longer to edit, as we need to check each image for suitability before we even look at the actual written content; if an editor hasn't got much time and recognises the name of an author whose quizzes usually take only a few minutes to edit, they may skip down the list to do that one and get it online; if your quiz needs a lot of editorial input, it may not get completed in a single editing session, and will have to wait until that editor is back again to complete the process. And more!

I remember the frustration of submitting a quiz to a category with a 3-4 day wait showing at the time, and watching that get a day longer every day, which has happened for several of my quizzes. And then there was one that didn't meet the category guidelines, but the editors spent a lot of time discussing whether or not the guidelines could be bent a bit to allow it as it was, or whether I had to rewrite substantial portions - three weeks later I rewrote it, and totally missed the holiday season that was my hope. All part of the learning process!

There is no way to speed the process up, you just have to sit and be patient, since anything else you do can only slow things down, as somebody has to use precious time to respond to you, instead of editing.

There is a thorough discussion of this in the Authors Lounge, in this thread:
http://www.funtrivia.com/bb.cfm?action=details&qnid=27853&boardid=2222222

Edited to add link to discussion.

Edited by looney_tunes (Fri Jan 23 2015 12:37 AM)

#1081822 - Fri Jan 23 2015 02:47 AM Re: Quiz Submissions [Re: TonyTheDad]
LoveAnimals555 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Somewhere in Heaven, India
Thank you very much for the information. I understand editors are human too.

Elai

Page 19 of 19 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19

Moderator:  agony, gtho4