Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 52 of 52 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52
Topic Options
#1075341 - Fri Nov 28 2014 06:31 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MiraJane Online   confused
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
This definition seems to have changed.

7. Tchotchke
Your answer: (yiddish) a mistress

It was marked correct, but it was wrong! I've seen tchotchke several times in Word Wizard with the correct definition of a knickknack or small, useless item.

#1075360 - Fri Nov 28 2014 08:47 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
hotdogPi Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Some words have more one definition, and some definitions have more than one word.

#1075374 - Fri Nov 28 2014 10:23 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: hotdogPi]
MiraJane Online   confused
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: hotdogPi
Some words have more one definition, and some definitions have more than one word.

Yes, I know this. However, tchotchke is not Yiddish for mistress.

#1075376 - Fri Nov 28 2014 10:43 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
According to Wikipedia there are several meanings for 'tchotchke' and some of those meanings are not very nice descriptions of women; it's not too much of a leap to include 'mistress' as a meaning, in fact that would be preferable to some.

#1075710 - Sun Nov 30 2014 12:09 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Quote:
The act of stripping and taking by force
Your answer: spoilation

Should be spoliation

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1077251 - Sat Dec 13 2014 05:20 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
windrush Offline
Participant

Loc: South Australia
Is there any way to have a low score struck out? I'm in a fight to the death with a friend in Wizard. Logged in to WW at 1 minute into the game, only to be told to get out because you were scoring the previous game. I did another game then returned, only to be scored at over 6 minutes - 900 points, obviously timed from my first attempt to play. It's ruining my standing and my rating.

#1077420 - Sun Dec 14 2014 01:30 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MargW Offline
Participant

Loc: Ontario Canada
Just played a quiz with the question "A man who is unusually successful at an early age"

I choose boy wonder. Unfortunately the answer was "wonder boy" with the definition given for boy wonder as "an extremely talented young male person"

Since there is basically no difference, is it possible to ensure that definitions like this do not appear in the same quiz?

#1077599 - Tue Dec 16 2014 02:23 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
My word "convenor" wasn't in the dictionary, but the word "convener" was. Once again we seem to be only taking the American way to spell words. The dictionary that is being used for this game surely needs to be updated.

#1078127 - Sat Dec 20 2014 11:29 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Gnats (although they may be "colloquially" equivalent to mosquitoes in some parts of the world), are not the same insect. Other than the fact that they both belong to the same family (2 winged) and their larvae are both water borne, they don't actually bear a lot of resemblance to one another. There are only one or two gnats that are "carnivorous" and in general they're really quite harmless unless you have houseplants lol.

Flopsy (and others) are quite correct on the tchotchke thang. In its original connotation (by the way, the Yiddish transliteration is something like tshatshke) the word equates to "bauble", pretty object or cheap object. No surprise that it is also used as a derogatory term.

Bubbatom: they're usually missing a U instead lol

Page 52 of 52 < 1 2 ... 50 51 52

Moderator:  Terry