Rules
Terms of Use

Page 35 of 35 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35
Topic Options
#1158570 - Sat Feb 18 2017 10:12 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
There is a difference between legally valid and legal, so legalise and validate are synonyms with similar but not exactly identical meanings. Also, in this game you almost always want to match the -ise and -ize endings on opposites.

#1158573 - Sat Feb 18 2017 10:24 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MrNobody97 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Illinois
Thank you. I had asked, "Am I missing something?" Well, I missed something, all right -- the right answer!

But sometimes I think the game should be called Splitting Hairs...!

#1159994 - Wed Mar 08 2017 11:29 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
glendathecat Offline
Explorer

Loc: Kent UK
observably means "in an imperceptible manner or to an imperceptible degree"

A quick Google revealed the dictionary source but I can't see that here the dictionary is anything other than plain wrong.

#1159996 - Wed Mar 08 2017 12:28 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: glendathecat]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: glendathecat
observably means "in an imperceptible manner or to an imperceptible degree"

A quick Google revealed the dictionary source but I can't see that here the dictionary is anything other than plain wrong.

I agree. This is the opposite of "observably".

smile

#1162481 - Sat Apr 08 2017 04:46 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
ingermort Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: texas,usa,houston

You said: troubler

instigator means "someone who deliberately foments trouble"
bad hat means "someone who deliberately stirs up trouble"

blusterer is related to troubler

You said: bad hat

blusterer means "a person who causes trouble by speaking indiscreetly"
troubler means "someone who deliberately stirs up trouble"
These 4 words in the same quiz seem like trouble to me

#1163396 - Mon Apr 17 2017 10:45 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Texas USA

What a complete and utter disgrace. How am I supposed to get the question correct when the same word is duplicated but with a difference of only one letter?

visitant is related to traveler

You said: traveller

visitant means "someone who visits"
traveler means "a person who changes location"

raftman is related to traveller

You said: traveler

raftman means "someone who travels by raft"
traveller means "a person who changes location"

#1163626 - Thu Apr 20 2017 11:32 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

sailor is related to trained worker

You said: individual

sailor means "any member of a ship''s crew"
trained worker means "a worker who has acquired special skills"

technologist is related to individual

You said: trained worker

technologist means "a person who uses scientific knowledge to solve practical problems"
individual means "a human being"

??????????????????

These should be the other way around! What, you need an advanced degree to be a sailor, you landlubber?

#1163627 - Thu Apr 20 2017 12:10 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
namrewsna Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Utah USA
Well no but you can't just walk onto a ship and know exactly what you are doing two seconds later either. In a vacuum either one of these two make sense as is (though I don' like the vagueness of "individual" being paired to a specific type of person as it seems prone to such confusion if it happens to get paired up with any number of other specific persons) It is an unfortunate pairing with both of them in the same set. I very probably would have gone the same way you did.

#1163628 - Thu Apr 20 2017 12:12 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

The joys and frustrations of the Mind Melt! Gotta love it, even when you hate it.

#1163644 - Thu Apr 20 2017 03:24 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: namrewsna]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

Originally Posted By: namrewsna
Well no but you can't just walk onto a ship and know exactly what you are doing two seconds later either. In a vacuum either one of these two make sense as is (though I don' like the vagueness of "individual" being paired to a specific type of person as it seems prone to such confusion if it happens to get paired up with any number of other specific persons) It is an unfortunate pairing with both of them in the same set. I very probably would have gone the same way you did.

Fair enough. Now check out my post right before it and make sense of that!

#1163652 - Thu Apr 20 2017 07:37 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: TriviaFan22]
namrewsna Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: shuehorn
The joys and frustrations of the Mind Melt! Gotta love it, even when you hate it.

hmm I am mostly in the latter camp right now as I am within striking distance of the Defrosted badge (never dreamt I would ever get close to this one). But between last month's misses coming back around to haunt me this week, and a proliferation of those annoying ambiguous pairs in the game giving me a new crop of 28/30 scores..I have been hovering right around 23 for a frustrating week now

Originally Posted By: TriviaFan22

Fair enough. Now check out my post right before it and make sense of that!

LOL wow...Hopefully I am laughing with you not at you on that one. If not, sorry. Yeah, I've got nothing for that one

#1163654 - Thu Apr 20 2017 08:16 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: namrewsna]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: namrewsna
I am within striking distance of the Defrosted badge (never dreamt I would ever get close to this one). But between last month's misses coming back around to haunt me this week, and a proliferation of those annoying ambiguous pairs in the game giving me a new crop of 28/30 scores..I have been hovering right around 23 for a frustrating week now

Hang in there. It took me forever to get that one, but it is very sweet when it comes. Yes, the pairings are arbitrary. I found that looking in online dictionaries and taking a long time to finish a set was key to getting the Defrosted badge. Your score in points is lower, but all that matters is getting a perfect score, so it is worth the trade off. Good luck!!

Sue

#1164317 - Sat Apr 29 2017 07:22 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
namrewsna Offline
Enthusiast

Apologies in advance as I am sure this has come up before and I only visit this thread sporadically but...there is a regular tendency for us to gripe in here about the ambiguous cases of two answers which seem interchangeable. One I have not yet seen mentioned but got two of this sort today are the opposites which are NOT opposites. Today I saw "beginning-middle" as an opposite pair.

It seems this is meant to be an easy one that you fill instantly to narrow down the field for more subtle ones that aren't immediately obvious but I have to skip it and return with the rest of the "hmmmm" file and get it only when it becomes clear nothing else fits.

The problem is this is not a binary grouping The opposite of beginning would naturally be..."end". "Middle", while clearly not the beginning, is not its opposite either. It is curiously enough..in the middle. By definition if there is a beginning and a middle there would have to be an end as well.

It seems to be used here in the vein of center vs extremity, but again that is not as immediately clear as I think was intended and I could only confidently fill it by elimination as the last one of the section (and even then I was waiting for that cursed pair of unexpected red X's and the explanation that in some obscure southwestern Kentucky colloquial variant, middle actually means mushroom ... which would of course be the opposite of tree wink

#1164318 - Sat Apr 29 2017 08:19 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:

pair of unexpected red X's and the explanation that in some obscure southwestern Kentucky colloquial variant, middle actually means mushroom ... which would of course be the opposite of tree

Thank you so much for my morning chuckle! Glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee smile

#1164497 - Sun Apr 30 2017 07:46 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MrNobody97 Offline
Enthusiast

There's a typo in the first part (Definitions) of Mind Melt. "Depend on a small thing or be at risk" is the definition of the phrase "hang by a hair," but in Mind Melt it's written as "hand by a hair."

#1164504 - Sun Apr 30 2017 09:08 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Multiloquent

Maybe someday the people who maintain the database from which the definitions are drawn will notice and fix it. Meanwhile, we can all remember what that somewhat bizarre image is supposed to suggest!

#1164521 - Mon May 01 2017 05:19 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MrNobody97 Offline
Enthusiast

Somehow I'm reminded of this exchange from the classic black-and-white Password

Announcer: The password is "bird."
Celebrity A: [giving clue] Eagle.
Contestant A: [guessing] Bald.
Celebrity B: [giving clue, referencing Lady Bird Johnson] Lady…
Contestant B: [puzzled by the clue] "Lady"?
Celebrity A: All she can think of is a bald lady!

Edited by MrNobody97 (Mon May 01 2017 05:21 AM)

#1165455 - Sat May 13 2017 05:26 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: MrNobody97]
glendathecat Offline
Explorer

Don't know whether this one has come up before. The definitions of crook and felon are identical.

thug is related to crook

You said: felon

thug means "an aggressive and violent young criminal"
crook means "someone who has committed (or been legally convicted of) a crime"

kidnapper is related to felon

You said: crook

kidnapper means "someone who unlawfully seizes and detains a victim (usually for ransom)"
felon means "someone who has committed (or been legally convicted of) a crime"

#1165456 - Sat May 13 2017 07:47 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
I can see why crook and thug would be paired up. Both words are slang. I think the the definition of crook takes some liberties though, but then I'm thinking more along the lines of a legal definition.

#1165459 - Sat May 13 2017 09:23 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: MiraJane]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: MiraJane
I can see why crook and thug would be paired up. Both words are slang. I think the the definition of crook takes some liberties though, but then I'm thinking more along the lines of a legal definition.

I just had this same pairing, and I put them together correctly because kidnapping is a felony, whereas crook and thug are relatable to any level of crime (misdemeanor or felony).

#1165479 - Sun May 14 2017 09:18 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
glendathecat Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: shuehorn
Originally Posted By: MiraJane

I just had this same pairing, and I put them together correctly because kidnapping is a felony, whereas crook and thug are relatable to any level of crime (misdemeanor or felony).

I appreciate the human logic used by the two of you but my point was that this cannot come into the game's decision making as the given definitions are identical. Today you got lucky but it could just as easily go the other way if these pairings come up again.

#1165490 - Sun May 14 2017 01:47 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Multiloquent

The third part of the game doesn't just look at definitions, as witness a number of complaints over the years that even seeing them doesn't make it clear what the connection was. It clearly makes the links from some other mechanism, possibly common words in other lines of the full definition, or lists of synonyms, or something else I can't quickly think of. Whatever it is, the pairs are likely to match the same ways next time, too.

Page 35 of 35 < 1 2 ... 33 34 35

Moderator:  Terry