Rules
Terms of Use

Page 51 of 51 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51
Topic Options
#1205666 - Thu Sep 13 2018 04:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Pickup on South Street" 1953

The plot is nonsense, but everything else is perfect. The perfection of Richard Widmark is only surpassed by the amazing performance of Thelma Ritter as a police informer with a sideline selling ties. And Jean Peters really sells it as the kind of girl who would fall for a guy who slaps her around the way Widmark does - brittle toughness and world weariness over a soft squishy interior.

#1205783 - Sat Sep 15 2018 01:43 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Severyn Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alberta Canada
Dances With Wolves (1990)

Amazing movie. It should have won more awards than it did.

It tells the story of a rogue Union Soldier who befriends a local Sioux tribe and helps them get out of enemy lines.

Kevin Costner in his Oscar role. Amazing. Very long but not unbearably long like the LOTR movies.

#1205817 - Sat Sep 15 2018 05:08 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"America's Sweethearts" 2001

Cute lightweight fun. Catherine Zeta-Jones and John Cusack are movie stars whose marriage is on the rocks, Julia Roberts is her sister but in love with him, Billy Chrystal is the publicist trying to save the movie, and Hank Azaria and Christopher Walken enjoy themselves playing Z-J's new flame and the director of the movie, respectively. Not a lot of meat here, but lots of whipped cream.

#1205850 - Sat Sep 15 2018 11:29 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cali Colombia            
Toy story II.(1999)

I ser the first AND the last, but I don't see before this movie. I liked it's not awesome the another two movies but it's a good movie. I liked the backstory and the choice between the oblivion possibility and the Andy's love, the new family vs the old toys...
7/10

I liked American sweetheart. Simple but fun.

#1206024 - Mon Sep 17 2018 07:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"No Way Out' 1950

Sidney Poitier's first feature film. He's a young doctor, Richard Widmark is a racist injured thief who is convinced Poitier killed his brother while treating him for gunshot.

Considering the age of this one, it's remarkably resonant in these times. Not only the overt racism of Widmark's character, but his self pity, and his blind belief in an unlikely theory despite all evidence to the contrary, simply because it confirms his prejudices. This is really quite a movie, definitely worth checking out.

I hadn't really seen much of Widmark's work previously, but I'm going to have myself a little film festival. He's a remarkably natural performer, especially given the melodramatic and often unlikely dialogue he's given - par for the course in movies of this type at this time.

#1206574 - Sat Sep 22 2018 05:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Night and the City" 1950

Wow, just wow. I watched this in the Criterion Collection, borrowed from the library. The disc with the American version was in bad shape, so I watched the British. I'm glad I did, I think, as it included a few scenes that help the plot make better sense. And I have to say - this is as coherent a plot as I've found in film noir.

What hold together even better than the plot are the characters - they act the way people act, which is something you can't always count on in this genre.

Richard Widmark is a small timer who dreams of someday being somebody, but who really is just what one character calls him, a cheap spiv. He gets his big chance, and goes for it, only to inevitably fail because it was ill-thought-out, crooked, and stupid, just the way we knew it would be from the beginning. Even if things had not gone wrong for him, there's no way it would have worked.

The only reason his phenomenal performance doesn't stand out is that every other performance here is also amazing. Gene Tierney is probably the weakest of the lot, which is really saying something. The scenes between the old wrestler Gregorius and his son the crime lord are especially great.

See this.

#1207405 - Fri Sep 28 2018 10:13 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Severyn Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Alberta Canada
Shawshank Redemption (1994)

My favorite movie of all time.

I watch this movie once a year or more, and it just never gets old for me.

For those who have not watched...

It is a story of a wrongfully accused man serving life in prison who changes the lives of those around him, and in turn, his own life.

It is worth a watch.

Very well acted by Tim Robbins and the incomparable Morgan Freeman, well directed, the score is on point.

#1207725 - Tue Oct 02 2018 04:17 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Magnolia" 1999

Well.

Unbelievable performances from a huge cast - very talented people doing their best work. In the service of I'm not quite sure what. Lot of intensity here, lot of pain, little bit of humor and hope, but I don't know if it really goes anywhere. Don't know if it needs to.

I'll be honest, I never really thought very much about this movie ... I was under the vague impression that it was yet another "Jerry Maguire" - Tom Cruise being a jerk who becomes slightly less of one through love and realizing what's important blah blah. And who needs to see any more of that if we've seen "JM" and "Rainman"? Funnily enough, that is indeed one of the things that kinda sorta happens, but it's not that kind of movie, at all, at all.

Gotta say, I'd love to see PT Anderson approach this same material again when he's sixty.

#1207917 - Thu Oct 04 2018 08:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"A Simple Favor" 2018

Tons of fun, a thriller with lots of laughs. A bunch of plot twists that move fast enough so you don't notice if they have holes, really great looking costumes and design, and even a genuinely sweet moment with a hurt little kid. I had a great time.

#1208842 - Mon Oct 15 2018 09:30 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Best of Everything" 1959

The Hays Code is starting to lose its grip on Hollywood, in this Apartment 3G-type melodrama. Yes, women are still punished for having sex, but not all the women, all the time.

An aging Joan Crawford is here to show young Hope Lange that the only thing waiting for a woman who is ambitious and interested in a career is lonely sterility, one of the sexy women comes to a horrid end, and the victim of a vile seducer manages to avoid an abortion and snag the nice guy she always wanted.

This is actually pretty good, but the messages it sent were, by 2018 standards, appalling. Love and babies (properly conceived in wedlock, of course) are all that a woman is allowed to want.

One small thing I noticed - there is a lot of typing in this movie, as all the characters start out as typists. But they're not really touch typing, they're just using the first two fingers, rather than all four.

Edited by agony (Tue Oct 16 2018 11:16 AM)

#1208850 - Tue Oct 16 2018 12:10 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cali Colombia            
Inside out(2015)
Pixar I love this movie, every single detail, the imaginary friends, the importance of emotions in the thinking process, the long term memory as a laberint, the emotions inside the parents...and a large list of good stuff. It's my favorite animated movie.

Green butterflies (2017)
It's a Colombian movie, about a real events about bullilying, with a LGBTI tematic, harassment, discrimination, and a elite school with a terrible management.

Page 51 of 51 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong