Rules
Terms of Use

Page 48 of 48 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48
Topic Options
#1187708 - Wed Jan 17 2018 09:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"The Man Who Came to Dinner" 1942

Quite a lot of silly fun. Very silly. Jimmy Durante gets the best line - qutie a way to sweep a woman off her feet - "Come to my room in a half hour... and bring some rye bread."

#1187715 - Thu Jan 18 2018 12:00 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Play Misty for Me" 1971

Clint Eastwood does a nice job directing and acting in this early version of the bunny-boiler plot. Gotta say I like him a lot better in something like this than as an action hero - I never thought much of Dirty Harry or the spaghetti westerns.
Considering this movie is almost fifty years old, it's not too badly dated.

#1188035 - Sun Jan 21 2018 08:40 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Midnight in Paris" 2011

This is a gorgeous movie - it's beautiful to look at, it's fun and thoughtful and it's full of great performances. Owen Wilson channels Woody Allen to the extent that it seems jarring at first, but later he really does just inhabit the character.

Nostalgia is of course one of Allen's great themes, and this film looks at it from a slightly different angle.

#1188110 - Mon Jan 22 2018 09:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Seven Psychopaths" 2012

Well, don't really know what I just watched, but it surely was one heck of a ride. If you don't mind edgy violence, if you don't mind unconventional storytelling, if it's not entirely necessary that a movie make perfect sense, then this might be for you. It's from the fellow who brought us "In Bruges", and it's also got a strong "Pulp Fiction" vibe. I liked it a lot.

#1189075 - Sat Feb 03 2018 10:57 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Big Sick" 2017

Just a great little movie, what a rom com should be. Funny, sweet, emotional....loved it.

#1189836 - Tue Feb 13 2018 10:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Beetlejuice" 1988

Well this held up pretty well - cute and silly horror comedy with way more comedy than horror. Lots of fun..

#1190224 - Sun Feb 18 2018 09:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Paper" 1994

Looks like a bit of a Michael Keaton week. What a cast on this story of one day in the life of a New York newspaper.

This is a pretty good movie, lots of great lines. It's marred, for me, a little, by the time pressure element, as the deadline is missed. I really don't like that particular plot contrivance, where they've got one minute to do the thing, and then spend five minutes talking or running around. I know it is supposed to build suspense and tension, but all it does is make me mad at the characters' poor time management skills.

Anyway, minor quibble. Other than that, a very entertaining film.

#1190481 - Thu Feb 22 2018 07:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Nevada Smith" 1966

Have to say that this is not a very good movie, though it does have some entertainment value.

Blond, 35 year old Steve McQueen plays a sixteen year old half white/half Kiowa boy who is seeking vengeance on the men who killed his parents (Martin Landau, Karl Malden, Arthur Kennedy). It's very clear they don't want us to forget that he's supposed to be a kid either - there's a long passage where Brian Keith takes him under his wing and teaches him how to shoot, play cards, read, etc.

Highly unlikely plot, but on the way we do get to see a very young Loni Anderson as a dance hall girl for a moment, and Suzanne Pleshette a a Cajun woman by the name of Pilar. (really? Pilar?) It's surprisingly fun, though.

#1191211 - Sun Mar 04 2018 10:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Game Night" 2018

No huge surprises in this, but it's solidly entertaining, and more fun than you'd expect to get from a date movie.

And the comic timing was right on point - I tend to hate "we have to get to the place to do the thing!" type plots because they draw them out too long in the mistaken belief that it adds comic tension. It doesn't. But this one kept the pace moving, piling on just long enough for the joke to pay off and then heading on to the next thing. One scene, where a character has to clean up a mess, and his efforts are just making it worse, looked it was going to go on and on and on, the way these things so often do, but instead he just says "to hell with it" and leaves. I was silently cheering, from my seat.

In fact, I'd have to say that this is the very best example of "nice suburban folks caught up in something out of their depth, to comic effect" that I've ever seen.

#1191610 - Thu Mar 08 2018 09:40 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Fedora" 1978

Well this is an odd one. Didn't even know it existed, Billy Wilder's almost last picture. William Holden, and a reclusive, old-time movie star - sound familiar?

The plot is ridiculous, the action is overblown and melodramatic, but ... it was still kinda good.

#1191802 - Sat Mar 10 2018 09:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Tickled" 2016

Another odd one. It starts off lighthearted - what is this competitive tickling all about? But it gets dark, pretty quickly.

Since this documentary came out, the man who seemed to be at the heart of whatever was going on, has died. Or is said to have died - it's all fairly mysterious.

An interesting and unsettling little film.

#1192018 - Wed Mar 14 2018 02:25 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
I feel unsettled just at the thought of it. Tickling is frightening. smirk
So, tickling aside!, lol, .....

You've been watching some great films Agony
smile

Edited by Chavs (Wed Mar 14 2018 02:25 AM)

#1192019 - Wed Mar 14 2018 02:43 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Continuing the Michael Keaton season, "Spotlight".

Another newspaper film, Spotlight looks behind the scenes at the investigative journalism that broke the deeper story of Catholic priests abusing children. It's worth watching even though at this point we think we know the scandal. The Spotlight team at the Boston Globe is the main focus. How does such a story get discovered, researched and broken? And how does it also get ignored or covered up? Interesting and a touch heartbreaking at many points. Good film.

Something quirky: "Radioman" (documentary)

Just as unsettling / joyful / odd as being tickled. Radioman is the nickname for an eccentric guy who hangs around movie shoots so much that he has become a fixture. The actors and directors know him, and he's appeared as an extra in so many films that you, yes you reader whoever you may be, have definitely seen him.
This documentary offers a glimpse at his life. And a glimpse at movie stars.

By design or by omission, we are left to make up our own minds about him, the stars, the situation, the movie world.

(Produced in 2012, I found it eerie to see Robin Williams interviewed about Radioman. Radioman looks like Robin Williams in a movie role. A bit mind bending.)

#1192101 - Wed Mar 14 2018 10:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Sunset Boulevard" 1950

I think it was you, Chavs, who recommended this? I was prepared to find it good, but in that "Ah, yes, I can see what people find interesting about this" way that classic films are often good.

But nope, this one is just plain good. I was surprised by the level of emotional honesty - films of this era, due partly to the Hays code, partly to the mores of the times, sometimes have a thick layer of inauthenticity that you have to just pretend to not notice. Not much of that here, though. The relationship between Joe and Betty is pretty standard 1950s movie, but Joe and Norma? Yikes.

#1192523 - Tue Mar 20 2018 12:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

I'm thrilled! For fun I found our conversation from three years ago! smile
Originally Posted By: Chavs

"Sunset Boulevard" -

Joe: "You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big."
Norma: "I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

Fabulous. Drama, more drama, then melodrama, then megamelodrama, all juxtaposed with film noir one liners and downbeatness, and authenticity dripping off every corner (Hedda Hopper and Buster Keaton are just two famous faces playing themselves -- I never knew that ("ready for my close-up") Cecil B. DeMille was actually in it! All the many photos on Norma's sideboard are real photos from Swanson's own career. Etc etc)...Lighting, cinematography, set, and costumes (by Edith Head), are all amazing. Billy Wilder is a genius.

I found Gloria Swanson so amazingly hammy/melodramatic that I didn't like it, and the whole film felt very oppressivs, but I couldn't decide if she was an awful actress or the best in the world because she was playing a melodramatic character so well. In the end, I decided that the film wanted me to feel uncomfortable and claustrophobic, so it was brilliant.

I can see why this film is one of the big classics. It is one of those films that leaves you comparing everything to it; I don't mean other films, I mean everyday events like shopping or having a row or running a bath -- everything I did for the next week seemed to be tinged with Sunset Boulevard.

Originally Posted By: agony
I've never seen "Sunset Boulevard" and for a very silly reason. The Carol Burnett spoofs from when I was a kid made it seem exactly the sort of thing I didn't want to have anything to do with.

Now my taste has changed since then, and my appreciation of something more difficult - I didn't like spicy food or black coffee back then either. But the ten year old's feeling of "this will be hard and boring and I won't like it" persists.

One of these days....

#1192546 - Tue Mar 20 2018 06:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

The scenes where Norma was not 'being" Norma really got me - that card playing scene, for example. Where she is just being the rich lady, ordering her boy toy around. Loved it.

#1192877 - Sat Mar 24 2018 08:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"South Pacific" 1958

Well, there are a few bits here and there that make a modern sensibility wince, and then there are those colour filters.....

But on the whole this holds up pretty damned well. The themes of racism and prejudice are as timely as ever. And some of those songs....

#1193271 - Wed Mar 28 2018 08:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Doubt" 2009

Well this is one that recalled my Catholic childhood in the sixties....

Is Father Flynn a molester? Is Sister Aloysius a small minded vindictive tyrant?

We're supposed to be left with doubt about which of these is true, and for most of the movie I was not sure. Unfortunately, the end comes down, I think, on one side, and the story is weaker for it. Up until that point, though, this was one of the best examinations of human complexity I've seen on film.

#1193645 - Sat Mar 31 2018 09:30 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Shape of Water" 2017

What an amazing fairy tale. I didn't see all the Oscar contenders but I did see a few of them, and I'm perfectly OK with this one winning.

#1193808 - Tue Apr 03 2018 01:40 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
TriviaFan22 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Texas USA
The Matrix

#1193880 - Tue Apr 03 2018 08:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Torquay
Devon UK
'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets' - 2017

I really enjoyed it. Not bad at all for a new film.

#1193998 - Wed Apr 04 2018 08:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

That one was either loved or hated by critics. I heard it's visually stunning.

"Marathon Man" 1976

Reread the book recently, so thought I needed to watch this again. They really do a good job, though some of the character motivations are a little obscure. I always pair this one and "Boys from Brazil" in my mind - I guess it's the combination of old Nazis and Olivier.

#1194730 - Wed Apr 11 2018 10:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" 1974

I'd forgotten this was directed by Scorsese, but it really does show it.

I made my living for many years as a waitress, and I've usually hated movies or tv set in restaurants, because of the way wait staff just walk out and have long conversations when the place is busy - with no repercussions. At least in this one they show the place going insane when Alice and Flo are out smoking and crying in the toilet.

I raised a couple of smart mouth kids myself, and I love an authentic smart mouth kid in the movies, and this movie has got one - great relationship between the two of them.

It's a little hard now, I think, to appreciate how new and fresh this would have seemed at the time.

#1194963 - Sat Apr 14 2018 09:02 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"Reversal of Fortune" 1990

The story of Claus and Sonny von Bulow, based on the book by the lawyer who got him off. Some pretty heavy talent here - Jeremy Irons and Glenn Close play the couple - but even so, this feels a lot more like a Movie of the Week than Academy Award nominated film it really is. In fact, I'm having a hard time reconciling the movie I saw with the reviews it got. Irons' performance is great, but some of the law students - well, I've seen better acting in high school productions. And even Irons has to struggle with the inane and cliched screenplay. I honestly checked a couple of time to see that I was seeing the same movie they were talking about.

#1195114 - Tue Apr 17 2018 08:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Online   content

Administrator

"The Man from U.N.C.L.E." 2015

Pretty successful, on the whole. Manged to keep a lot of the tone of the TV series, while updating it. It's essentially the origin story for the TV series.

I'm not real good at action movies, as the things that people tend to think are cool I barely notice, and I have a hard time figuring out what's going on in action scenes. So I can't really tell if they did that part well - I found the action extremely confusing, but since I *always* find the action confusing, don't know if they messed that up or not.

I'm pretty impressed with Armie Hammer - he's good at conveying a lot without doing a lot.

Page 48 of 48 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong