Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#965166 - Sun Feb 03 2013 09:43 AM Volume button
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've got something annoying that happens to me now and then, and I'm hoping one of you will have a solution.

When I go to control the volume on my computer, I hit an icon down in the lower right corner, and a little control panel pops up, with a sliding volume knob. Perfect - most of the time it works perfectly. However, if I do this too soon after I have turned my computer on in the morning, sometimes my cursor will drag the panel onto the middle of the screen, and try as I might, I can't make it go away.

This morning, it spread out like a deck of cards across a table - I've got seven little panels arcing across the screen. This is more of an annoyance than anything else - if I reboot it will disappear, and sometimes it goes away on its own after about half an hour, but it IS annoying, and if anyone has an easy solution, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

#965183 - Sun Feb 03 2013 11:17 AM Re: Volume button [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

So now it's been about an hour and a half, and some of them have allowed themselves to be dragged down and then they disappear. The main "deck" though, a sort of stack that looks to be maybe ten thick, is not budging. We'll just see how long this lasts.

#965198 - Sun Feb 03 2013 01:07 PM Re: Volume button [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

It disappeared altogether about ten minutes ago, on its own.

#965278 - Mon Feb 04 2013 12:38 AM Re: Volume button [Re: agony]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
What operating system are you using?

When you click the System Tray icon, do you get a panel with only the volume control showing, or does it have other controls there as well?

When you see multiple instances of the panel, have a look in 'Task Manager' to see if more than one process is running that looks related to the sound.

Also have a look to see how many processes are running at Start-up. To do this, type msconfig into the 'Run' box and click OK. Select the Start-up tab in the box that opens up.

When the unmoveable panel(s) are showing, try opening another Window on top of them to cover them up. Are they gone when the Window is closed?

#966121 - Fri Feb 08 2013 12:08 PM Re: Volume button [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

OK, I'll look into that. I have real problems with things not working properly if I try them when the computer first starts up - not just being slow, but malfunctioning. I've got Windows XP, I think.

Opening another window does not cover them up - they just cover up part of the new window. It's just this little box, about an inch and half high, with a sliding volume knob on it.

#982646 - Sun May 05 2013 04:53 PM Re: Volume button [Re: agony]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Hmm, something isn't right there. Have you tried attaching stand-alone speakers with an actual physical volume knob? My Bose speakers are not only fantastic, but they are SMALL, have their own program and I can turn them up/down with a real knob on the left speaker (not via computer scrolly-thang). I disabled the windows volume thing long ago. I'm using Windows 7 (rather than XP), not that I think that really makes a difference.

Msconfig is an excellent suggestion from TW.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29