gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           

#1187538 - Mon Jan 15 2018 06:19 PM Re: Minor Issues
seekernym Offline
Explorer

Loc: Maryland USA
Originally Posted By: windrush
Hi, I'm in the habit of saving important or relevant private mails before they do the two monthly drop off.

Went to check back on some facts relevant to a teamie with problems, and find only the last 20 messages have been saved (or else I have no way of accessing the others). Is this the case? If so I'm going to have to get religious about copying all messages on a very regular basis.

Have to say, although it took a little getting used to, I really like the new look of the site. My eyesight is deteriorating and the new fonts and layouts are much easier to read. Thanks for all the work.

I thought the same thing had happened to me, but I discovered that the "Next 20" link was just VERY hard to see on my screen, being a blue on blue. You might want to check if the same thing is happening to you. The 'next 20' link should be at the bottom-center of your page.

#1187554 - Mon Jan 15 2018 07:17 PM Re: Minor Issues
gtho4 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           

geez, I couldn't see that. There's nothing wrong with your eyesight! Thanks

#1187555 - Mon Jan 15 2018 08:45 PM Re: Minor Issues
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
There's a rather hard to see "Next 20" link at the bottom of the page.

#1187575 - Tue Jan 16 2018 06:23 AM Re: Minor Issues
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Very small issue - just wondering if there could be an 'unselect all' box to check in the Authors kitchen when you're cooking a dish. Well more when you're playing around combining item, instead of having to manually find them all again and untick them.

#1187634 - Wed Jan 17 2018 05:35 AM Re: Minor Issues
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
When I try to quote a message when I reply to someone, nothing is quoted. It is as if the "Quote message" function in our message system does not exist. This has been happening for several days now.

#1187645 - Wed Jan 17 2018 08:34 AM Re: Minor Issues
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Originally Posted By: MiraJane
When I try to quote a message when I reply to someone, nothing is quoted. It is as if the "Quote message" function in our message system does not exist. This has been happening for several days now.

Did you mean here in the forums? If so, it works for me.

#1187646 - Wed Jan 17 2018 08:37 AM Re: Minor Issues
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

If you mean the Quizzyland message system, just sent myself a test message, then replied:

Quote:
Direct Message

Received: Jan 17 18 [8:36 AM]
To: spanishliz
Subject: Re: Test

<< Test to see if Quote Original works. >>

Looks like it does.

#1187647 - Wed Jan 17 2018 09:00 AM Re: Minor Issues
seekernym Offline
Explorer

I've had the same issue as MiraJane. Some messages quote fine, others don't. It seems totally random.

I tried refreshing and starting over if a message didn't quote, but that didn't help.

#1187653 - Wed Jan 17 2018 09:42 AM Re: Minor Issues
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Which message system, though?

Also, I'm sure someone (with more technical knowledge than I have)will want to know which browser and device. smile (I'm on a desktop computer using Firefox and everything seems OK.)

#1187657 - Wed Jan 17 2018 10:06 AM Re: Minor Issues
seekernym Offline
Explorer

Good point. I'm talking about the direct 'Mail' system. I use two laptops, one is a Windows 7, the other Windows 10, both running updated Firefox.

I never paid much attention because copy & paste solves the issue, but I seem to recall it happening more frequently on messages that had gone back and forth repeatedly.

#1187662 - Wed Jan 17 2018 12:04 PM Re: Minor Issues
CmdrK Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Nevada USA
I had the same problem on the main site notes yesterday but I tinkered with the angle brackets and spacing to the first word and it worked.

#1187714 - Wed Jan 17 2018 11:40 PM Re: Minor Issues
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: CmdrK
I had the same problem on the main site notes yesterday but I tinkered with the angle brackets and spacing to the first word and it worked.

I'll try this method, thank you. Yes, I was referring to the message system not in the Forums. I rarely use the "Quote" function here and thought the "quote message" phrase I used in the original post would have made what I was referring to obvious.

#1187719 - Thu Jan 18 2018 12:55 AM Re: Minor Issues
windrush Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Australia
Seekernym: I thought the same thing had happened to me, but I discovered that the "Next 20" link was just VERY hard to see on my screen, being a blue on blue. You might want to check if the same thing is happening to you. The 'next 20' link should be at the bottom-center of your page.

WOW! You're right, Nym! I simply didn't see it! Thanks.

#1187986 - Sat Jan 20 2018 10:39 PM Re: Minor Issues
HairyBear Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: agony
We could take a look at those Names quizzes and see if some of the ones that were grandfathered in could be retired. We wouldn't allow that kind of question now.

Now that you've opened the bottle and let the genie out...

Can you get rid of that quiz that gets into the Daily World Quiz constantly that asks about the distances between African cities? Not only is that really obscure, the distances aren't that numerically different from each other, making the questions essentially guesswork.

This is it: http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Geography/African-Capitals-As-the-Crow-Flies-319312.html

Geography is not my strong suit anyway, but in that quiz, I can answer exactly ONE question from my own font of trivial knowledge.

#1188024 - Yesterday at 12:05 PM Re: Minor Issues
katytusa Offline
Participant

Loc: California USA
For today’s Brain Twist I got People Rhymes 3, which is apparently old enough that you must include the punctuation (apostrophes), so I did and was scored zero. While I would not have got 10, I should have received credit for getting more than 5 correct. Can this be fixed and can I get the credit for completing the BT please? I have screenshots if they’re needed. Thank you.

#1188036 - Yesterday at 08:41 PM Re: Minor Issues
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: katytusa
For today’s Brain Twist I got People Rhymes 3, which is apparently old enough that you must include the punctuation (apostrophes), so I did and was scored zero. While I would not have got 10, I should have received credit for getting more than 5 correct. Can this be fixed and can I get the credit for completing the BT please? I have screenshots if they’re needed. Thank you.

It cannot be fixed, unfortunately, but send a correction note, or possibly the Brain Teasers editors can see it in here, since you posted the quiz title. It would still be advisable to send a correction on it.

#1188046 - Today at 02:19 AM Re: Minor Issues
katytusa Offline
Participant

Thank you for your response; I didn’t submit a correction at the time because it looked like it would go to the quiz author and it isn’t that the answer given was incorrect, just, I think, that the system did not “see” my apostrophes. That being the case, should it stil be referred to the author?

Thank you.

#1188047 - Today at 02:24 AM Re: Minor Issues
rossian Online   content

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I had the same Brain Twist and had no problems at all.

#1188050 - Today at 03:24 AM Re: Minor Issues
Fifiona81 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Hampshire UK
I've checked the quiz used in the Brain Twist and there was nothing obviously wrong with it. I think this must be an issue with how the system reads punctuation in some cases.

#1188052 - Today at 03:35 AM Re: Minor Issues
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
The fact that punctuation marks are not always "properly" read is the reason punctuation is not allowed anymore for Fill in the Blank questions. (It is especially a problem with apostrophes, as the ASCII code some keyboards use for an apostrophe is not the same as others. Don't ask me why, or what the difference is, but I know it is so!)

Katytusa, our system is set up for all corrections, whether disputing the accuracy of the question or information, or reporting a typo, or explaining an issue with the template such as you experienced, has to go via a message sent to the author. If it is something which the author cannot fix, they can just note that in a message they have available to explain how they have responded to the note, and mark it as dealt with. An editor will check all corrections, and when something cannot be addressed by the author, they fix it (or pass on a report to the administrators). And for very old quizzes, the author may well not be active any more - an editor will see that when they are checking the part of the site where corrections are handled, and deal with it on behalf of the absent author.

#1188058 - Today at 08:30 AM Re: Minor Issues
HairyBear Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Florida USA
Not that it will help katyt, but the apostrophe problem is the difference between this ' and this ’ . I once composed a team e-mail in a word processing program and then copied and pasted to FT. The FT message system turned all of these ’ into question marks in the sent message.

#1188060 - Today at 09:04 AM Re: Minor Issues
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
This is a very fixable problem, so definitely a CN would be useful.

#1188073 - 41 minutes 54 seconds ago Re: Minor Issues
katytusa Offline
Participant

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I’m out of town right now, so did the quiz on my iPad whereas usually I would be on pc at home. Perhaps that’s why my apostrophes were not recognized. I will submit a correction note.

Page 61 of 61 < 1 2 ... 59 60 61

Moderator:  Terry