Rules
Terms of Use

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#1187206 - Thu Jan 11 2018 10:32 PM Re: Please test the new crossword interface
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Badges aside, I do think the crossword authoring deserves recipes and ingredients for the kitchen. (We even count them a bit awkwardly for QuiWriMo, after all.)

#1187207 - Thu Jan 11 2018 10:50 PM Re: Please test the new crossword interface
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
Badges aside, I do think the crossword authoring deserves recipes and ingredients for the kitchen. (We even count them a bit awkwardly for QuiWriMo, after all.)

I agree with this even I don't write quizzes or crossword puzzles smile

#1187209 - Thu Jan 11 2018 11:03 PM Re: Please test the new crossword interface
CmdrK Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Nevada USA
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:
The point is that crosswords have never had an equal status with quiz authoring

A big part of this is that for a long time, crosswords were restricted to certain authors.

Right, authors who had completed a few successful quizzes. And it wasn't many - 5 or 10 or so? - just to prove they could write coherently.

More badges isn't my point here, just an observation, but crossword authors get zero points for writing a puzzle. Zero. And no Kitchen ingredients. Where's the carrot (metaphorically speaking, of course)?

Edited by CmdrK (Thu Jan 11 2018 11:04 PM)

#1187210 - Thu Jan 11 2018 11:13 PM Re: Please test the new crossword interface
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
No points either? Not fair! Absolutely they should get points for writing crossword puzzles!

#1187231 - Fri Jan 12 2018 02:44 AM Re: Please test the new crossword interface
pagea Offline
Participant

Loc: Hertfordshire UK
As someone who both writes crosswords and has three recipes that require only a carrot I would be completely on board with crossword authors receiving ingredients (particularly carrots).

#1187244 - Fri Jan 12 2018 05:26 AM Re: Please test the new crossword interface
moonraker2 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Wiltshire UK
Reference the lack of recognition for crossword authors, I can only speak for myself. I have now compiled well over 200 for publication on the FT boards, and my reward is knowing that I have perhaps provided good quality puzzles to the best of my ability. Of course it is also gratifying to receive the odd complimentary message from those who have solved the crosswords.

Whilst I would of course welcome additional recognition for these efforts, it would make absolutely no difference to my submissions, which will continue at the current rate for as long as I am able. As I have said, the real reward here, is the inward sense of accomplishment every time another crossword has been successfully engineered!

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Terry