Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1021410 - Sun Nov 17 2013 08:31 PM Re: Make November....
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
A footbridge which crosses the A22 from this little road in Caterham

#1021543 - Mon Nov 18 2013 01:32 PM Re: Make November....
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

The Thames at Kingston

#1021548 - Mon Nov 18 2013 02:14 PM Re: Make November....
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
The Bowl of Brooklands at Pukekura Park in New Plymouth. The only entertainment on this day were the ducks....or maybe they were the audience and I arrived too early for the entertainment.

#1021554 - Mon Nov 18 2013 03:30 PM Re: Make November....
Dotb Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oswestry Shropshire UK       
Eastbourne harbour

#1021728 - Tue Nov 19 2013 12:00 PM Re: Make November....
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

One of the little shopping streets in Kingston, the most comprehensive shopping centre in London

#1021735 - Tue Nov 19 2013 12:53 PM Re: Make November....
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Out of curiosity Satguru. I know you drive on the left in the UK. This image seems to show that people are walking on the right and letting people pass on the left, the opposite of the road convention. Is that just a coincidence of this image or are the rules (or habit) actually different in the two movement conventions? Do people keep to the right on staircases in public places?

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1021828 - Wed Nov 20 2013 03:35 AM Re: Make November....
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Copenhagen City Hall after a thunderstorm.

#1021929 - Wed Nov 20 2013 01:51 PM Re: Make November....
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

There's no rules on pavements but station escalators are standing on the left by law from memory as it's ages since I used one. Except I admit to not knowing left from right (without a scar on my right hand to check) so may be the other way round.

Railway arches in Harrow

#1021986 - Wed Nov 20 2013 06:34 PM Re: Make November....
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

From what I remember of London in 2010, we had to stand on the right on the station escaltors to allow those who want to use them like stairs to rush past.

#1021988 - Wed Nov 20 2013 07:25 PM Re: Make November....
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I thought that it was standing on the right too. I thought the idea was that most people holding on would be righthanded so would hold with their right so needed to be on the right, just a thought.

Right, Googled and on the BBC site it says...

"There are 426 escalators on the London Underground and there's a signposted system of standing to the right and walking to the left. "

#1021998 - Wed Nov 20 2013 10:13 PM Re: Make November....
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks all. I did not intend to hijack the thread which should be about photos. Maybe this topic can go to "Why Is the Sky Blue?"?

#1022013 - Thu Nov 21 2013 02:18 AM Re: Make November....
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Howie: Although I'm highly jealous of your earlier heron and dandelions pics, I absolutely love ducks. And quite often I find them much more entertaining than humans in certain circumstances. So who knows? Maybe you had the best show of the day : )

And oh my - a bishop riding a horse? Would make for interesting moves in a chess game ~

Mehaul: I don't see anything wrong with querying about stuff that folks notice in the photos. I don't think the discussion needs to be moved anywhere either (wouldn't make much sense over there anyway, probably). But that's just me lol. Besides, it was a good question and we all learn from everyone's input. Personally, I would like to see people comment/ask questions more than they generally do.

David: okay, it's daylight in your last two photos. A supposedly busy shopping area contains only 11 people that I can see. And four at the Arches. My theory of possible alien abduction still stands. When was your last census? LOL. Loved your pic of the footbridge btw. It is artistically anomolistic - and if you figure out what I meant by that, please let me know ~~~

#1022016 - Thu Nov 21 2013 03:36 AM Re: Make November....
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Just so happens I have more duck photos, this white duck was at the Timaru Botanical Gardens.

#1022173 - Thu Nov 21 2013 05:23 PM Re: Make November....
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

London really isn't quite as crowded as all that outside the centre- also if I took a crowded street locally it couldn't be posted here so those filter themselves out by nature. If you want to see the crowds in suburbia nowadays you just look on the main roads, everyone's in traffic jams now which wasn't the case that long ago.

A view across High Barnet.

#1022289 - Fri Nov 22 2013 06:34 AM Re: Make November....
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
The Harvey Nicks store in Bristol.

(Probably designed by a man...)

#1022374 - Fri Nov 22 2013 05:13 PM Re: Make November....
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The start of my sidewalk bike ride. At bottom you can see the sunken contour where the street meets the walk. Just above and to the right you can see one of the storm drains placed squarely inside the white line of the bike path (if you were riding with traffic). The bike path used to be macadam all across to the curb but when they decided to do drainage, they put in those concrete gutters that only leave 2 inches of asphalt of the original road and added the sidewalk for motor-challenged travelers to use. The gutters are full of sharp metal objects that have been tossed to the side by passing autos. There is no street sweeper to clean the gutters like we use in urban areas. Then there's my 40 year old racer. To the left of the sidewalk you can see the lamp and power poles that are sometimes outside and sometimes inside the sidewalk course. The sidewalk can be seen to easily(?) accommodate travelers on foot or bike in either direction. In the distance if you zoom, you can make out the string of red lights across the other side of the road. Two elderly folks have been run over walking across the road there. It is a school crossing intersection. At the intersection I'm standing at I was in the passenger seat as we turned left (going toward the right in this angle) and a person trying to beat the light slammed into the car just in front of my knees. Many have had to be transported to the hospital from this location.
The strange (really what I've pointed out isn't even the weirdest bit) is that across the road the sidewalk runs right up to the gutter berm and is almost 10 feet wide. Why is this side's concrete narrower with a grass swale? There's that school a mile up the road and they don't want the kids walking at the road edge. Yeah, right, like grass is gonna keep them from walking on it. Wait 'til I show the bus stop bench tomorrow!

Edited by mehaul (Fri Nov 22 2013 05:17 PM)

#1022378 - Fri Nov 22 2013 05:35 PM Re: Make November....
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I knew it was one of the two sides, it's far too long to remember from experience...

The Metropolitan Line in Harrow

#1022453 - Sat Nov 23 2013 01:09 AM Re: Make November....
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

The H.C. Andersen Castle at the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen. A short walk from the hostel I was staying but I did not have time to go in the amusement park/gardens plus it is quite expensive...lol.

#1022672 - Sat Nov 23 2013 06:24 PM Re: Make November....
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Here is the view if I turn 180 degrees from yesterday's image. You can see the ramp at the sidewalk/street interface. There's another storm drain at the corner. Then there's a power pole in the sidewalk, not off it in the grass. Then the Bus stop bench. It's nice that it has a roof. I have sweltered on this bench many times and been thankful for the shade. BUT, it's in the middle of the sidewalk. They even had to remove the sod and pour concrete out to the curb to continue the paved surface past the obstruction. The city has zoning rules about parking lot set backs on major thoroughfares and there is a lot to the right. There has to be 6 feet of turf back from the sidewalk to hedge selected from a small list of approved plants and then you can begin your parking lot. Note: Nothing is ever going to be approved to go into that turf setback. NOT EVEN a bus bench! The city could have done eminent domain to the grass behind where the bench is now, on the 30 sq ft needed for the Structure and left the sidewalk undisturbed. Not!
When I come to these impediments and imcyclements(?) I do have to slow to the point where I need to touch down a foot to hobble around the dang thing. There are about 4 more on this road, mostly a few miles to the rear in the direction of the photo from yesterday, two on this side and two on the other. (Note: there are about fifty marked bus stops but only those few are covered ones. I am fortunate that one is nearby for me to use)
Here's a compliment to Florida Drivers: The lights are yellow and most cars show that they're beginning to brake rather than try to run the light. Maybe it has to do with that particular intersection has red light runner cameras to capture tag numbers for a few hundred dollar fine! I think that white pole to the far left of the intersection is the camera pole for the cars crossing the field from left to right on that cross street. I do know that pole is planted one foot out into the sidewalk.

#1022850 - Sun Nov 24 2013 01:38 PM Re: Make November....
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo

Mehaul: I don't see anything wrong with querying about stuff that folks notice in the photos. I don't think the discussion needs to be moved anywhere either (wouldn't make much sense over there anyway, probably). But that's just me lol. Besides, it was a good question and we all learn from everyone's input.

Yes. The evidence provided by a photo can shake up our pre-conceived notions, too, which is surely a good thing. grin

#1022873 - Sun Nov 24 2013 05:04 PM Re: Make November....
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

A parade of shops on the edge of Brixton

#1022921 - Mon Nov 25 2013 01:38 AM Re: Make November....
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Did you hear the one about the donkey and the goat? No?

A donkey and a goat were eating at the small Brooklands Zoo at Pukekura Park in New Plymouth.....

#1023003 - Mon Nov 25 2013 01:26 PM Re: Make November....
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Now I'm taking photos just to get something in that map reference anything goes, this is Sainsburys in Brixton which just took over another building.

#1023004 - Mon Nov 25 2013 01:55 PM Re: Make November....
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

What does that lower left bicycle icon painted on the street mean?

#1023029 - Mon Nov 25 2013 03:36 PM Re: Make November....
Dotb Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oswestry Shropshire UK       
Shropshire from Oswestry racecourse.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy