Rules
Terms of Use

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#1055525 - Mon Jul 28 2014 01:50 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Howie72 Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
The Otipua Wetlands bridge is getting closer but first we have to look for trains....

#1055531 - Mon Jul 28 2014 03:19 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
To compare, these are what the Wimbledon flowers looked like. They were next to the others yesterday but look the same.

#1055532 - Mon Jul 28 2014 03:41 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
For the sake of clarity... you've posted three images. I'd say the second one (in message #1055452) is definitely wild tansy and the third one (the same plant as in the first one) is probably ragwort. If it is ragwort I assume the people responsible for managing the Common (presumably the local council) know about it because they are responsible for preventing the spread of it - Ragwort Control Act 2003.

#1055547 - Mon Jul 28 2014 04:29 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
That is definitely ragwort, horrible plant, deadly poison to horses. Despite the control system many councils, due to cut backs, have failed to cut their verges before it flowers and seeds and all the stables round here are going nuts over it. They are spending hours pulling it out of the fields.

#1055549 - Mon Jul 28 2014 04:32 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Expecting the arrival of the combine harvester in the fields round us any day now. Wheat looks good and ready to cut.

#1055552 - Mon Jul 28 2014 05:01 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Gosh how lovely. That is heartwarming after last year's floods.

#1055553 - Mon Jul 28 2014 05:10 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Christinap Offline
Prolific

It is, and strangely enough even though all the fields were flooded and the winter wheat looked very sad at one stage the harvest is looking to be a really good one, so the water must have done some good.

#1055562 - Mon Jul 28 2014 07:55 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
You're lucky in your part of the world Christina. At least 1/2 of the wheatfields and cornfields in Saskatchewan and Manitoba are under water with no hope of salvage. Love your pic, reminds me of when we lived on the homestead when I was a kid.

#1055568 - Mon Jul 28 2014 09:14 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Copago, Chip is so cute. Makes me want to reach through the photo and give him a hug. I'm going to my grandmother's farm in two weeks and have my fingers crossed that there will be a few puppies around.

Plitvice Lakes National Park, Croatia

#1055581 - Tue Jul 29 2014 02:44 AM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
You're lucky in your part of the world Christina. At least 1/2 of the wheatfields and cornfields in Saskatchewan and Manitoba are under water with no hope of salvage. Love your pic, reminds me of when we lived on the homestead when I was a kid.

It was lucky. The rain stopped and the flood water receded just in time, then we had a really hot Spring to complete the drying process and kick start growth again, so at least round here the crop was safe and has done really well.

Zorba, that is spectacular, really beautiful.

#1055652 - Tue Jul 29 2014 11:11 AM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Hard to believe July is almost over. The photos have been spectacular and wonderful again.

#1055662 - Tue Jul 29 2014 12:42 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
How about another holiday snapshot, this time in Verdun, in the department of Meuse, France?

We visited the site of the village of Bezonvaux, a village that was totally decimated during the first world war. The rubble and remains of the homes and buildings were left as they fell, and nature was allowed to do its thing. Grass and plants gradually covered the site, then trees were planted. The humps and craters are respectively heaps of remains of houses and the craters formed when they were hit by explosives. I found it a most moving yet peaceful place to visit, a little off the beaten track, and all the more poignant for its simplicity. Simple markers here and there, sometimes with a photo of the family or building in question, mark the sites where the town hall stood, or where the regular Joe-soap farming family Matthieu had their residence.

Its hard to believe that such a beautiful, natural spot was once a thriving community complete with school, railway, shops and all the other accoutrements of a healthy rural village of the time!

Here's a picture of "Main Street" as it looks now:

#1055693 - Tue Jul 29 2014 03:22 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
That is do interesting, Toni. Thanks for sharing it. Kind of makes me a little sad!

So yesterday was Sports Day for my son's school. Everyone comes into town and the kids have a practice day at the school and then the next day is at a local oval. There us a dress up your car competition and here's ours ... We did a cheer squad for my son's team with lots of paper mâché.

#1055701 - Tue Jul 29 2014 04:22 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
Spotted this house from Teignmouth. I don't know that I'd care much for the lack of privacy
though. (Nor the window cleaner's bill.)

#1055720 - Tue Jul 29 2014 07:27 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
That is a strange one. A lot of pizza and pasta on the menu maybe? My favourite failed punny name was an Indian takeaway called ATaste of Corner. It was sort of in a corner, I suppose, but even so...what the heck?! Who would want to taste Corner?

On second thoughts, Tusk N Grill is my new favourite.

Edited by Chavs (Tue Jul 29 2014 07:27 PM)

#1055723 - Tue Jul 29 2014 07:53 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Thanks flopsy, a week after the tansy was mentioned and I looked it up I came across it growing next to the ragwort which appears to be what I took in Wimbledon. The council there are pretty hot as they had Japanese knotweed and spent ages trying to get rid of it but I don't think they did. They keep putting up plans to change things but so far they haven't managed to get them through. They are also trying to stop grazing on the field a mile or so north which has been there for many hundreds of years and is painted on nearly every resident's wall as it's the local spot for artists.

Boats at Teddington weir

#1055725 - Tue Jul 29 2014 08:24 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
There is quite a lot about baseball in Cooperstown, N.Y., too and I guess I should show you some of it. This is in the museum section of the Hall of Fame, and is a display case showing Babe Ruth's bowling ball, a golf ball, pair of shoes and a presentation bat. My sister and I were both amazed at what small feet the players from the early 20th century seemed to have compared to those of today's players.

#1055728 - Tue Jul 29 2014 08:32 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
zorba_scank Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Such a poignant photo, Santana.

Sipan, Croatia

#1055736 - Tue Jul 29 2014 11:01 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Santana: gosh, that wasn't very long ago, history-wise. Amazing growth in a short period of time. Makes you think the Earth won't miss us much for very long if we mess up permanently lol
[...]

Doesn't it just!

#1055772 - Wed Jul 30 2014 02:56 AM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Howie72 Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
Mt John beside Lake Tekapo and just out of the towsnhip. Not that you can tell by the clouds in the photo but the skies above the MacKenzie country are amazingly dark and clear and are now the biggest UNESCO International dark Sky Reserve in the world. As you can imagine, a perfect site for an observatory and if you look very closely, you may see it but....lol. The next photo from this area will zoom in on the observatory.

#1055792 - Wed Jul 30 2014 09:35 AM Re: July Photo a day thread.
DivineMsDRL Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Okotoks Alberta Canada       

I had to euthanize Marcie Elizabeth(the tabby) yesterday. She was in kidney failure. A very traumatic day for me. She was my favourite cat. She was still trying to purr as she died in my arms.

Eddie (the black cat) was put down a couple of years ago due to old age and diabetes.

Alexis Anne is the only one left. And she is crying today, probably wondering where Marcie is.

And I am still crying today.

#1055802 - Wed Jul 30 2014 11:25 AM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Oh I'm sorry, it is so hard when you have to do that with a much loved companion. I know it hurts, but you know you gave her the best possible life you could full of love and fun, and at the end you did the last, most loving thing, any of us can do for our beloved animals in ensuring they go through no undue suffering.

Thinking of you.

#1055807 - Wed Jul 30 2014 12:01 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
You're very brave Divine. I made my husband take in our Irish as I couldn't have managed. Seriously, I'd catch him with tears in his eyes every day after for over three weeks. He also had to do something with my dear Zoe's body. I'm hopeless dealing with these things as all I do is cry.

But know this - it's OKAY to grieve. It would be weird if you didn't.

In the meantime, my friend, lots of hugssss.

#1055853 - Wed Jul 30 2014 03:43 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
A superb month again .You really are an outstanding group for what you all give: Your clever, funny poignant thoughtful pictures, your helpful hints and advice and your friendship. Thanks all of you for being such great people.
I will close this later today and open August when everyone has reached Friday.

#1055869 - Wed Jul 30 2014 04:46 PM Re: July Photo a day thread.
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
It's still only Wednesday evening here, Ren dear. Please don't close it for at least another day. smile

This is what greeted me when I looked out my window this morning. My Rose of Sharon is blooming!

Edited by spanishliz (Wed Jul 30 2014 04:52 PM)

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy