Rules
Terms of Use

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1058203 - Mon Aug 11 2014 01:49 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
A pleasure Mike, happy that they brought back such wonderful memories for you.

As for this photo, you may remember the guard cows.....well, they failed to protect the hay smile

#1058206 - Mon Aug 11 2014 02:50 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Thanks C. I don't use pesticides, herbicides and no fertilizer other than digging in some manure in the fall, so the tomatoes don't always look "perfect", but they taste 10x better than ones in the grocery, along with all the other stuff. I don't grow enough to can/pickle great quantities cuz there's only two of us, so we tend to eat the things like peas as they ripen. so, I really hate it when fall comes, sigh.

I'm the same, I use some tomato food, which I use on just about everything. Dig in compost in the autumn and give a top dressing of blood fish and bone at planting time. I don't think perfect vegetables are entirely necessary. They taste just as good if they're a bit out of shape. Here's some plums I picked the other day, we have loads this year and they are so sweet and juicy. It's now a race between me, the birds and the wasps as to who gets them first!

#1058233 - Mon Aug 11 2014 06:19 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Durham, North Carolina USA
I envy all of you your gardens. I have two black thumbs and can't even keep a cactus alive!

#1058418 - Tue Aug 12 2014 12:14 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Me too, SMS, I love having veges growing but our water is a bit low and salty at the moment so it kills everything. frown

but somehow things are growing to in the paddock .. found these Sturt Desert Peas today .. there must be some moisture left in the ground!

#1058435 - Tue Aug 12 2014 04:12 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

An approaching front and sunshine over Caroline Bay and the cliffs at one end of the Dashing Rocks walkway, Timaru. Driftwood on the rocks at Waimataitai Beach.

#1058439 - Tue Aug 12 2014 04:30 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
I love the food and scenery photos! Now if anyone has a Sachertorte on a mountain top... :-)

Jill, the Sturt's Desert Pea image is fantastic - the closest I've been to one is the old 7c stamp. Are they common in your part of the country?

#1058447 - Tue Aug 12 2014 05:12 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
flopsymopsy Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
Originally Posted By: MikeMaster99

Jill, the Sturt's Desert Pea image is fantastic - the closest I've been to one is the old 7c stamp. Are they common in your part of the country?

The closest I've been to one is an FT question about state flowers, I never knew what one looked like! Wow, it is indeed fantastic!

Edited by flopsymopsy (Tue Aug 12 2014 05:12 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#1058489 - Tue Aug 12 2014 09:16 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Thanks for all the help before I got here, I realised I'd forgotten to post yesterday and lost track of everything. I can add Tesco stands for TE Stockwell and Cohen, the original partners, but I don't know what the TE stands for.

The Thames in Shepperton

#1058493 - Tue Aug 12 2014 10:00 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread

Administrator

Originally Posted By: satguru
I can add Tesco stands for TE Stockwell and Cohen, the original partners, but I don't know what the TE stands for.

Actually T E Stockwell was never a partner in Tesco. Jack Cohen was in the Royal Flying Corp in WWI; when he left he set up a market stall in the East End of London and spent some of his demob money on stock which he bought from the Navy and Army Canteens Board which was bringing food back from the warzones. His first goods were fish paste and golden syrup and at the end of his first morning he had made a profit of £1 on a £3 outlay. In 1924, Cohen produced his first "own brand" product - tea. The tea itself was supplied by a company called T E Stockwell, previously known as Messrs Torring and Stockwell of Mincing Lane. Cohen used the first initials of the supplier's name and combined it with the first two initials of his own to form a brand name for the tea and so Tesco was born.

History compiled from Tesco.com and the BBC.

#1058606 - Tue Aug 12 2014 04:18 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
I'm no fan of Tesco for several reasons, one of which is the way they seem to want one of their
shops on every single street in Britain. I've been boycotting them for many years (though with
the odd lapse when desperate.)

All dressed up and ready for a knight on the town.

Edited to dis Tesco!

Edited by martin_cube (Tue Aug 12 2014 04:24 PM)

#1058631 - Tue Aug 12 2014 05:05 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread

Administrator

I avoid them like the plague also - the only time I go into the Tesco's mega-mega-super-store they have here is if I need to buy coffee and they have a special offer, and I check that first online.

I checked out this buzzing creature today - it wasn't until afterwards that I realised I'd been checking out an insect's bum but I wanted to know if it was a wasp or a bee before I stuck around long enough to take its picture. Anyway, I decided it was a worker bee and captured it for posterity - had it been a wasp I'd have been out of there. grin

#1058674 - Tue Aug 12 2014 05:27 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
...and by the way, that is the most glorious flower!!

#1058684 - Tue Aug 12 2014 06:13 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread

Administrator

If you look at this pic of my back garden as it was in early April you'll see a strangely shaped dead tree in the centre at the back - with four 'prongs' coming off it. Rather than dig the thing out, which would have cost a fair bit, I said it should be left and I'd grow something up it, like convolvulus or even a clematis.

I actually potted up some convolvulus seeds and was going to place a pot under that tree when I noticed that it was sprouting things which looked suspiciously like buds... it's very hard to kill buddleia and mine has come back to life with a vengeance!

#1058709 - Tue Aug 12 2014 07:13 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
and you got bees into the bargain It is so lovely, buddleia.

#1058749 - Wed Aug 13 2014 02:19 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Christinap Offline
Prolific

It is ren, I agree. British Rail however regard it as a nuisance plant, mainly because it grows happily alongside tracks, in tunnel walls, even in the tracks themselves. They spend a lot of time trying to eradicate it from their sites without much success.

#1058750 - Wed Aug 13 2014 02:36 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Back to Germany and one of the towers at Braunfels Castle. We ere not allowed to take photos inside the castle, I went on a tour inside but unfortunately it was in German, however I had a personal translator....the friend I was staying with. smile

#1058774 - Wed Aug 13 2014 07:11 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread

Administrator

The problem with buddleia is that it has roots. Spreading, burrowing, strangling roots which get into paving, brickwork, foundations, drains - and break them apart. Fortunately this one is far enough away from the house but any seedlings get pulled up.

As you can see, it's doing a pretty good, though not perfect, job of hiding the neighbour's leylandii - and the rubbish that grows on it.

#1058850 - Wed Aug 13 2014 03:30 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Christinap Offline
Prolific

All is safely gathered in, and we are left with a nice clean stubble field that the birds are having a wonderful time picking over for dropped wheat grains

#1058857 - Wed Aug 13 2014 03:47 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Harumph, buddleia does terribly where I live. I'm really really jealous.

Howie, that's a really cool pic

Christina: oh dear all that stubble. Remind me to tell you the story of us burning flax stubble in Saskatchewan. Not a happy event. Nice pic though : )

#1058863 - Wed Aug 13 2014 04:32 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Another holiday photo today. This is one of the beautiful outside lamps of the restored Château du Haute Koenigsburg, in the Vosges, France:

#1058897 - Wed Aug 13 2014 09:07 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Thanks Flopsy, and of course a good deal of my company name origins comes from asking here in the first place, so no surprise more details come back later on.

Fields in Totteridge. They go on for miles and I still find new paths after many years.

#1058901 - Wed Aug 13 2014 10:04 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
It's still wintertime here, but a few signs of spring are starting to show. One of the first flowers to appear is this camelia just outside our back door. Obviously it's not cold enough to deter an intrepid bee either...

(Jakeroo, I have a Canon EOS60D and this handheld photo used the 70-200 L series lens which was my birthday present for a very significant birthday a couple of years ago!)

#1058907 - Wed Aug 13 2014 10:44 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Copago Offline

We don't get too many of the Sturt Peas, Mike, but they are usually around this time of year. They only grow in certain spots .. you could pick it to within the right sandhill where they will grow Why on that sandhill and not the next I have no idea!

Mum and son. smile

#1058908 - Wed Aug 13 2014 10:46 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Copago Offline

lol just realised that his feet are already bigger than hers!

#1058921 - Thu Aug 14 2014 01:16 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Slipper Island from Pauanui Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy