Rules
Terms of Use

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#1058922 - Thu Aug 14 2014 01:57 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Oh, my, Chip has gotten big! But he still looks like a cuddly puppy.

#1058923 - Thu Aug 14 2014 02:20 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Originally Posted By: Copago
lol just realised that his feet are already bigger than hers!

Not going to be long before the rest of him outgrows her as well. He is just a gorgeous big puppy.

#1058941 - Thu Aug 14 2014 04:38 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
flopsymopsy Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
If you're going to teach him to back sheep they'd better be large sheep - he'll bend normal ewes in half!

#1059000 - Thu Aug 14 2014 11:39 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Susie and Inky having fun!

#1059005 - Thu Aug 14 2014 12:53 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread

Administrator

Will you look at the thighs on that pigeon - he's like Chris Hoy with feathers. There are two of them staked out in the neighbourhood and they enjoy taunting the local cats from the safety of my fence. If I had a gun, I could get some fine meals out of them. smile

#1059015 - Thu Aug 14 2014 03:32 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Christinap Offline
Prolific

I've got a couple like that in the garden as well flopsy. They're so fat it's a wonder they can actually fly, they waddle along.

#1059047 - Thu Aug 14 2014 06:46 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
(loans Flopsy my bbgun)

Mike, thanks for the info, might have to buy yet another camera LOL. Lovely flower. Are your bees really black with white stripes?

Copago: Chip will be a big boy. What's really neat are his markings - they're nearly perfect/symmetrical.

Christina: is there some kind of law in Essex that you have to muzzle big dogs? Susie doesn't seem to be the "unfriendly" type..

#1059080 - Fri Aug 15 2014 01:43 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Happy Birthday martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
Always like seeing old buses still being used. This one offering open top tours of Torquay.

#1059081 - Fri Aug 15 2014 01:44 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Jakeroo, Susie isn't muzzled. The strap round her nose is actually an anti-pull head collar. It's a sort of figure 8. One bit goes round her head behind her ears, then there's the nose loop and just to one side is the lead fitting. Started using it when we first got her (at 10 months old). She was completely untrained and very strong and had me off my feet a couple of times, which could be quite dangerous on roads, in traffic etc. If she pulls away from me the way it is fitted to the lead means her head automatically turns inwards, and where the head goes the body follows - so no pulling. Really don't need it any more, she walks perfectly to heel and ignores what I tell her to ignore, but she is now so used to it that putting it on is a sort of "signal" to her. Head collar comes down from the hook then we're going somewhere nice and she has to behave when I tell her to. It's very soft, very padded, causes her no discomfort, she can breathe, eat etc. doesn't keep her mouth shut the way a muzzle would. It's not tight, she can actually hook it off herself with a paw if she wants to.

#1059084 - Fri Aug 15 2014 02:55 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
I cannot be biased with footwear so here is Shoe Island from Pauanui Beach following on from Slipper Island yesterday.

#1059087 - Fri Aug 15 2014 03:54 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo

Mike, thanks for the info, might have to buy yet another camera LOL. Lovely flower. Are your bees really black with white stripes?

Hi Jakeroo, no, our bees and black and yellow although that yellow can be pretty pale. I've blown up the previous photo to show this, although it's a bit difficult to tell. I'll see if I can get a better photo soon....

#1059102 - Fri Aug 15 2014 06:50 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread

Administrator

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
is there some kind of law in Essex that you have to muzzle big dogs?

We don't allow Essex to have its own laws, heaven knows what they'd come up with. wink

#1059144 - Fri Aug 15 2014 10:21 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Laws for Essex

All 4 x 4s must be as big as possible and black

Women will wear white stilletos at all times and must say "but I want to be a model" at least three times in every conversation

Basildon will be the new capital of the UK

Cruising will become a national sport

Speed limits are abolished

Baseball caps must be worn with the peak facing backwards

Essex man will be identifiable by red braces and a big flash BMW

Both sexes will wear as much bling as can be considered completely tasteless by the rest of the country whenever they venture out of the house

#1059198 - Fri Aug 15 2014 02:37 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
DivineMsDRL Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Okotoks Alberta Canada       
That bee looks more like a wasp to me.

#1059216 - Fri Aug 15 2014 03:49 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread

Administrator

It's a worker bee, most likely a honey bee. Worker bees and wasps are very similar in shape but the wasp has much more yellow, less 'hair', and a more pronounced stinger.

#1059217 - Fri Aug 15 2014 03:50 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Christinap Offline
Prolific

A fiery sunrise through the clouds

#1059249 - Fri Aug 15 2014 05:24 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I couldn't post yesterday as Flickr sharing was down, so here's what I was going to, the Long Pond at Totteridge, where I have photos of me fishing in 1968. The people there this week needed a licence, we didn't.

#1059267 - Fri Aug 15 2014 08:32 PM Re: August Photo a day Thread
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Lovely picture, flopsymopsy. The colour is spectacular. We call that plant "Morning Glory" - is that what you call it?

Over here it is a designated noxious weed by the Dept of Agriculture. We had it in our yard when we moved in and we had a terrible time getting rid of it. One side of our yard had a chain-link fence and it grew all around the fence and encompassed the chain link into its woody stem. We actually had to remove the fence to get it out. To get out the root system, we had to tie the fence to a truck and the truck towed the fence and the woody trunk out of the ground. We removed every trace of it but every year, shoots pop up and we have to remove those too.

The irony of it was that it was planted by the original owner of the house which is located next to a plant nursery owned by his family. No nursery owner in their right mind would have planted it, yet, despite coming from such a horticultural family, the original owner knew very little about plants. Heck, I know very little about plants but even I'd know not to plant it! [He also planted a fig tree about six feet from the house and a cypress tree under the eaves!]

Edited by MotherGoose (Fri Aug 15 2014 08:32 PM)

#1059294 - Sat Aug 16 2014 01:57 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Howie72 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Timaru NZ
What is better than a pied stilt at the Otipua Wetlands in southern Timaru? Yes, you are right....two pied stilts.

#1059296 - Sat Aug 16 2014 02:30 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Looks almost alien, Christina!

Chip experienced his first (in the nick of time) rain today.

#1059299 - Sat Aug 16 2014 03:17 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
ren33 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
He looks most confused!

#1059301 - Sat Aug 16 2014 04:08 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
DivineMsDRL,
The lead image at the Wikipedia entry for Bees could be the very creature that MikeMasters posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bees

Contrast that hairy thoraxed insect to the image of the wasp under Yellow Jacket: no hair what-so-ever, abdomen stripes are larger yellow than black/brown and mostly, note the yellow legs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Jackets

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1059308 - Sat Aug 16 2014 06:24 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread

Administrator

As it seems to be the fashion to take one photo and use various bits of it cropped at different levels of zoom, here's my first buddleia pic at 100% showing the worker bee whose rear end I had studied to make sure she wasn't a wasp. If I ever get close enough or foolish enough to photograph a wasp I'll publish it but in general I steer clear of wasps which are more aggressive and of course don't have anything to lose if they sting me. I've never actually been stung by either a bee or a wasp but I'd rather keep that record than tempt fate, thanks all the same.

Anyway, as you can see, the bee is more brown and pale yellow than a wasp would be - wasps, over here anyway, are much closer to black and yellow, and the yellow is as bright and vibrant as a ripe banana. Or a warning sign, which is of course what it is.

#1059309 - Sat Aug 16 2014 06:26 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread

Administrator

Yes, MotherGoose, that's a Morning Glory. In other words, a bindweed with coloured flowers. I have spent a lot of time this year killing bindweed, it's a real problem and I loathe the stuff. But I like Morning Glories so... I planted them in a pot, and the pot is on the patio surrounded by paving and cement, and the climbing frame is against the wall, and any seeds that take root will be sprayed with the noxious chemical I've been using on its wild cousins! grin

And while I'm spraying I'll try to work out some more laws they might have in Essex; the ones Chris published made me laugh out loud and made my mother turn in her grave - she was from Essex and never let me forget it. laugh

#1059319 - Sat Aug 16 2014 06:52 AM Re: August Photo a day Thread
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Sounds so harsh, flopsy, but it doesnt do, does it, to let it get a hold. I have plenty of the stuff despite a big clear out. The difference is that it is harder to grow the morning glory (very nice specimen, by the way, and wow what colour!) so well done! And it is a pity the bindweed is so easy to grow - blink and there's another shoot rooting- and likes to cover everything else, because even in its plain white state it is a pretty thing.

Here is a shoo fly, which looks a bit like a pale morning glory, although you can't tell in this pic because of the angle and the fact that there is a hoverfly committee meeting taking place.

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy