Rules
Terms of Use

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1100804 - Tue Jun 30 2015 04:09 PM Re: Gardening Queries, Tips and Tricks
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I have moved the maple into my porch, so while it's still facing south, it's now out of the direct sunlight for a good part of the day.

Perhaps you are right about the newer soil not being as suitable as the original. The pot is large and roomy so I don't believe there's any problem with it being root bound, and I water with both collected rainwater and tap water alternatively. I also used some fertilizer this year, which I normally don't, and it might have caused the plant to react like it has. I shall not repeat the experience, and hope that the other measures will help return it to its former, red glory!

#1108622 - Sun Sep 13 2015 06:17 PM Re: Gardening Queries, Tips and Tricks
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Nobody had any queries since June? I find that sort of odd in the Western Hemisphere lol.

Anyway Santana, how's the maple doing over there in France?

#1108643 - Mon Sep 14 2015 04:32 AM Re: Gardening Queries, Tips and Tricks
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
My poor little garden is looking slightly neglected at the moment *snif*

The vegetable patch is a mass of overgrown weeds, with a single, huge pumpkin plant taking over half of it, but only one pumpkin to show for all its vigour. The rhubarb is doing nicely and I should get a last harvest out of it at the weekend. As for the rest, it's rather disappointing all round.

My Japanese maple is still in leaf, but more and more green as time passes. My geraniums are suffering with leaf-rot, I suspect, my roses are fading and the lawn is in need of some trimming. My apple tree is bursting with lovely, big, plump red apples ... 90% of which are infested. The thyme has taken over the herb garden, and the chives are getting difficult to distinguish from the grass growing through it. My currant bushes are looking tired and my raspberry bushes are drooping.

I'll just have to roll up my sleeves next fine weekend and start freshening things up and getting ready for the winter.

#1108647 - Mon Sep 14 2015 05:52 AM Re: Gardening Queries, Tips and Tricks
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Originally Posted By: Santana2002
My poor little garden is looking slightly neglected at the moment *snif*

The vegetable patch is a mass of overgrown weeds, with a single, huge pumpkin plant taking over half of it, but only one pumpkin to show for all its vigour. The rhubarb is doing nicely and I should get a last harvest out of it at the weekend. As for the rest, it's rather disappointing all round.

My Japanese maple is still in leaf, but more and more green as time passes. My geraniums are suffering with leaf-rot, I suspect, my roses are fading and the lawn is in need of some trimming. My apple tree is bursting with lovely, big, plump red apples ... 90% of which are infested. The thyme has taken over the herb garden, and the chives are getting difficult to distinguish from the grass growing through it. My currant bushes are looking tired and my raspberry bushes are drooping.

I'll just have to roll up my sleeves next fine weekend and start freshening things up and getting ready for the winter.

So not a lot to worry about then Toni?

#1108648 - Mon Sep 14 2015 06:37 AM Re: Gardening Queries, Tips and Tricks
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
My yellow and orange tomatoes have been quite colourful; the 'black' ones half-ripened on the vine then finished themselves off quite nicely in the conservatory. But my red tomatoes... stayed relentlessly green. Monty Don (every thinking woman's crumpet television gardener) showed his tomatoes (no, really, stop thinking like that, his tomatoes) and his were... also green. It has been a green year. He told me (just me, because I'm speshul) to remove the leaves and pray for a last ditch Indian Summer. So I (and no doubt thousands of other speshul viewers who fancy watch Monty Don) went out the next day to strip the leaves off our tomatoes and after a week of lovely sunshine I'm left with... a lot of naked green tomatoes.

And now it's raining.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong