Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1071753 - Sun Nov 02 2014 03:45 AM Alice 3
baldhair Offline
Explorer

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
We were playing bridge the other evening. My sister Alice was dealing, and she had dealt about half the cards when her mobile phone rang. She put down the undealt cards, excused herself, and left the table to answer the phone. When she returned no one could remember where the last card had been dealt. None of the cards had been touched. Alice thought for a moment, and then she completed the deal rapidly and accurately, giving each player exactly the same cards he would have received if there'd been no interruption. How?

#1071773 - Sun Nov 02 2014 06:11 AM Re: Alice 3
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
She deals the remaining cards from the bottom of the deck and deals them anti-clockwise - the bottom card goes to herself (as dealer, she would have received the last card in the original deal), the next card goes to the player on her right, and so on.

#1071787 - Sun Nov 02 2014 07:09 AM Re: Alice 3
baldhair Offline
Explorer

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
Yes, yes, Tabby Tom. Well done. When I first saw this one I scratched my head for ages - and unsuccessfully. I just couldn't see it, but it's so simple really. Well, I'm no bridge player, though I'm not sure that that's a valid excuse.

Moderator:  ozzz2002