Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1086531 - Sun Mar 08 2015 11:49 AM International Women's Day.
LoveAnimals555 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in Heaven, India
Today is IWD. Therefore On this occasion I would like to give a salute to all women on FT. A woman performs a great role in the life of man that includes,Mother, Sister,Wife, Teacher erc. Again a salute to all women on here. smile laugh

#1086542 - Sun Mar 08 2015 02:03 PM Re: International Women's Day.
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
Not to mention engineer, astronaut, surgeon, architect, plumber, rancher, soldier, sailor, pilot, head of government, dentist, surveyor, professor, manager, designer, programmer, writer, entrepreneur... etc.

#1086555 - Sun Mar 08 2015 05:07 PM Re: International Women's Day.
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England�UK���...
It's amazing how much things have changed since my undergraduate days about fifty years ago. At that time, for example, only about 1.5% of the law students were women and they said jokingly that they were only there for 'window dressing' - in other words, for show. Of course, at that time practising female lawyers were a rarity and career opportunities for women with law degrees were poor.

That is only one example of a profession that did not want women ... A female friend of mine who applied to the (U.K.) Foreign Office was told at her interview that the F.O. had 'little use for women graduates, except to provide husbands for diplomats'.

#1086557 - Sun Mar 08 2015 05:56 PM Re: International Women's Day.
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
Not to mention engineer, astronaut, surgeon, architect, plumber, rancher, soldier, sailor, pilot, head of government, dentist, surveyor, professor, manager, designer, programmer, writer, entrepreneur... etc.

As a woman in architecture and engineering I find myself in the clear minority, since unfortunately both fields are still dominated by men. We women may be few, but we are proud. And we are certainly as good as, if not better, than our male counterparts. Thanks for including us, Flops! smile

#1086571 - Sun Mar 08 2015 08:46 PM Re: International Women's Day.
LoveAnimals555 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in Heaven, India
Oh.. it was because I am not having computer right now, therefore there is problem in typing.

#1086574 - Sun Mar 08 2015 10:26 PM Re: International Women's Day.
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong HongKong
About 1956 when a careers advisor came to my all girls' grammar school, she gave us a few examples of our choices, the first and best , in her opinion, being a good wife and mother.
However there were some alternatives. These included nursing, teaching (these two if you were not married), secretary, hairdresser and ( a new and very exciting one- "comptometer operator"(??). Needless to say her visit did not last long and I am sure those that visited the boys school had more to say.
Things have indeed changed.

Moderator:  ren33