Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1094879 - Mon May 11 2015 04:44 AM The future for Windows
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
According to many reports Windows 10 could be released at the end of the summer. People using Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. However, there will only be 1 year to do this. After that period of time, anyone wanting to upgrade to Windows 10 will have to pay for it.

Support for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will continue for a good while yet (only extended support for W.7) so there may be no compelling reason for some people to switch to Windows 10 until it comes installed on their next new computer. However as Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 users, will anyone here switch just because it is there? I plan to wait a couple of months to see what squawks of anguish there are in the press but as I've just got a new laptop with 8.1 if all is well I plan to dump it as soon as possible! (The operating system that is, not the laptop!)

Windows 10 will be the last in the 'Windows' series according to Jerry Nixon, a Microsoft development executive.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32658340

Essentially from Windows 10 onwards, the operating system will be changed via updates - which I imagine will be a bit like getting service packs on a more frequent basis.

So, do you plan on upgrading? And if Microsoft does start naming its revised operating systems, what should the first one be called? Billy Goats?

#1094884 - Mon May 11 2015 06:44 AM Re: The future for Windows
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I will be going for the upgrade when it becomes available. I have kept up with the Technical Preview releases of Windows 10 (installed on a spare computer), so know more or less what to expect. I reckon I can work with it OK. Then again, I never found Windows 8 bad either. It just took a bit of getting used to.

I had to go back to using Windows 7 for a while. Mrs TW uses it and her computer needed sorting out. I really had to think where to find everything on that, whereas using Windows 8.1 on my Desktop computer now comes more naturally. Having got used to Windows 8.1 as it comes (no replacement Start Menu to make it look/feel like Windows 7), I don't think I'll have too much trouble accepting Windows 10.

Microsoft initially chose the name of 'Spartan' for the new Windows 10 browser (now renamed 'Edge'). All I ask is that they don't continue in the same vein and call the OS beyond Windows 10 'Trojan'. smile

#1094905 - Mon May 11 2015 12:15 PM Re: The future for Windows
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Just as I always suspected, Windows programmers can't count. Why no Windows 9?

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1094906 - Mon May 11 2015 12:52 PM Re: The future for Windows
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Originally Posted By: mehaul
Just as I always suspected, Windows programmers can't count. Why no Windows 9?

According to the BBC, and to other reports I've read, they wanted the new system to be seen to be completely different from its predecessors hence the break. Although they haven't just numbered things in strict procession before - for example, there was no such thing as a Win 94 before Win 95, Windows 2000 didn't come after Win 1999...

#1094917 - Mon May 11 2015 04:55 PM Re: The future for Windows
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Haha - my computer still has Windows XP. Well, I haven't actually turned on that computer since I got my Macbook years ago... but still, I'm behind!

Editor for Television Category

#1094918 - Mon May 11 2015 05:16 PM Re: The future for Windows
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I still use XP on my main machine, ladymacb29. wink

I do have a PC with Win7 on it...and I won't consider upgrading that to 10 until just before it's no longer free, if at all. When Microsoft releases a new OS, there are always a multitude of issues and it takes them a long time to fix them. I'm in no hurry.

I love XP, like Win7, dislike 8.x. So as they change the OS to make them more towards touch screen and mobile devices, I'm less likely to change to it.

Eventually, I'll probably just end up using Linux. smile

#1094928 - Mon May 11 2015 08:59 PM Re: The future for Windows
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia
Originally Posted By: ladymacb29
Haha - my computer still has Windows XP. Well, I haven't actually turned on that computer since I got my Macbook years ago... but still, I'm behind!

...and unsupported in this case...

Originally Posted By: pyonir
I love XP, like Win7, dislike 8.x. So as they change the OS to make them more towards touch screen and mobile devices, I'm less likely to change to it.

I don't mind Win7, but despise 8 and 8.1. From what I heard, 10 is supposed to have more features like 7 than 8.

#1094936 - Tue May 12 2015 12:31 AM Re: The future for Windows
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

It is the tiled Start Screen aspect of Windows 8/8.1 that most people haven't liked, yet the tiles are only shortcuts that open programs. These can be clicked just as easily as the shortcuts in previous operating systems.

I keep the most frequently used program shortcuts pinned to the Start Screen as tiles. Lesser used shortcuts are kept in the 'All Apps' screen, spread out and arranged in alphabetical order. This works for me. My Start Screen is, in fact, very pretty. smile It is possible to make tiles out of photos or other images and put them in place using a program designed for the job.

My only complaint has been that it is sometimes necessary to switch between the traditional Desktop and the tiled Start Screen. I have got used to this but it is inconvenient. Windows 10 overcomes this by keeping the tiles confined to the bottom-left of the monitor screen (they can optionally be expanded to full-screen). The rest of the area is the Desktop. There is also a link in the tiled area that lets all other shortcuts be scrolled in a list. Different but workable in my opinion.

It's a pity Windows 8 wasn't well received because under the interface is a good operating system. I thought it quite brave of Microsoft to depart from the interface they had been using since Windows 95. Twenty years is a long time for people to get used to it and I suppose anything different was bound to cause ructions.

It's all part of Microsoft's long-term plan to use the same interface and basic OS for all devices. This does seem possible. I use a Windows phone and the user interface on this is very similar to the OS on my Desktop computer. Being familiar with one makes it easy to use the other.

New Microsoft operating systems always have come in for flak. I remember XP getting an awful lot of criticism in its early times, yet now many people don't want to let it go. Time passes, operating systems become accepted and eventually, possibly even liked.

#1095162 - Thu May 14 2015 09:27 AM Re: The future for Windows
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I am another XP user.

I have Office 2003 which is good enough for me, I don't know if this would work on newer versions of Windows, plus I have a load of older software and also printers and I don't know if they are able to work with new ones either.

#1095178 - Thu May 14 2015 10:08 AM Re: The future for Windows
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

In theory, Office 2003 isn't compatible with Windows 8 so I assume that won't change with Win 10, at least not for the better from your viewpoint. However, a quick bit of googling tells me that Office 2003 will run on Win 8, you just get error messages and of course it's not supported any more so Microsoft won't help you if it goes wrong.

The key problem XP users, and for that matter users of older software such as Office 2003, face is the one of support. When they say they won't support it, Microsoft mean two things. One, if it goes wrong, they won't help you - because that software is not supposed to run with X operating system. That may not be too much of a problem if you think you can find a local schoolkid to fix things. But two, both the operating system and the older software are no longer getting updated because of security holes. It's that second one which should concern you more - older software does leave you vulnerable to malware. And malware means malicious. If you use your computer for anything that needs to be secure whether it's banking details, credit card info on a shopping site, or your passwords on other websites, all of these things are vulnerable if the hole being exploited won't ever be patched because the manufacturer is no longer supporting it.

Having said that, if you do move to Win 10, the first option to try is running Office 2003 in "compatibility mode" - pick Win XP as the mode. You'll probably get all sorts of error messages when you try to close the software but up to that point it should work well enough. Other software and printers... you may just have to try it bit by bit.

I'm hoping that my old version of Photoshop will be compatible with Win 10. It works in Win 8.1 but how much longer can I eke it out? I simply refuse to pay Adobe any more money, and they've more or less priced private individuals out of the market anyway.

#1095215 - Thu May 14 2015 01:55 PM Re: The future for Windows
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

I recently bought a computer and installed Windows 8.1 on it. I have plenty of documents that were created in Office 2000 and Office 2007 Home & Student but decided not to install either of these programs on the new computer. Instead, I installed the latest version of Libre Office. This can be more or less thought of as a free version of Microsoft Office (unless you decide to make a donation). It works with all Microsoft Office file types, including 'docx' and 'xls'.

I tried Libre Office and Open Office (a similar program) a few years ago but found they wouldn't correctly open Microsoft Office files that contained tables etc. These days however, Libre Office does open these correctly and I presume Open Office would do too. These are alternatives that perhaps could be considered rather than staying with any version of Microsoft Office.

Whether printers work or not depends on the manufacturers writing drivers for the later operating systems. It's not certain but I get the feeling that if Windows 8 drivers are available for the printers, they will most likely work with Windows 10 as well. It's worth just trying software, The OS will likely say if any is absolutely incompatible and won't install it.

XP is unsupported by Microsoft now. I think it can be OK to run it providing a few extra security measures are in place, For example: an anti-executable program, sandboxes etc. but it is probably best to go for an OS that still receives security updates as soon as you can.

#1095236 - Thu May 14 2015 03:51 PM Re: The future for Windows
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I have an opinion or a holding I will easily dismiss if I find contrary information. That thought is that nomenclature differences between continents has gone beyond the equipment stage (modems, routers, wireless, wifi, etc). In the USA malware is simply bad, intrusive pop-up applets (unwanted cookies) that find their way onto page code descriptions. The sense of it I hear from the term being used on the continent is akin to what we call viruses, worms, Trojan horses, etc (I know a list of uncertain items shouldn't end with an etc, sorry but it gets me to drop a stop here).
Do we need a list of technical terms and definitions for the amateur to understand when the discussion turns technical?
Even if no conflict in terms is seen, a list of terms in a separate thread should be useful to the forum members.

#1095258 - Thu May 14 2015 07:37 PM Re: The future for Windows
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

I think the definitions are the same wherever you are, mehaul, but it's not a bad idea to have some sort of definitions list we can add to over time. I'll give some thought to an initial list and see what ladymacb thinks - but don't expect it to happen in an instant! smile

PS and if anyone else can think of some things that we might cite in a definitions list, please send me a PM. smile

Edited by flopsymopsy (Thu May 14 2015 07:40 PM)

#1095279 - Fri May 15 2015 12:17 AM Re: The future for Windows
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

There seems to be plenty to read around the Internet about Windows eventually becoming a subscription service. If this is the case, the subscription would pay for any upgrades and updates. There would be no more buying an OS (or getting one with the computer) and then paying nothing further for the next ten years or so.

This might be so far down the road that older people (this includes me), don't need to worry about it ..other than it being possibly a topic of interest. I'm just going to upgrade to Windows 10 and see how things go. I'm always going to keep a disk image of my Windows 8.1 working system so that I can easily go back to it if I want to.

#1097107 - Mon Jun 01 2015 08:27 AM Re: The future for Windows
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
A new icon appeared on my taskbar today (Windows 8.1), offering me the chance to 'reserve' a free upgrade to Windows 10. If I reserve my copy, it tells me Windows 10 will download to my computer when it's available, and once it's there I can install it whenever I want.

I've reserved my copy - I might wait to see a few other people's comments once it's released prior to installing it. Do Microsoft realise we're getting close to the end of a Global Challenge, and I couldn't possibly risk problems with my computer at the moment?

#1097122 - Mon Jun 01 2015 11:03 AM Re: The future for Windows
postcards2go Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York City USA
Is there a way to turn off the upgrade notification?

#1097163 - Mon Jun 01 2015 07:18 PM Re: The future for Windows
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Originally Posted By: postcards2go
Is there a way to turn off the upgrade notification?

To turn it off, go to : Control Panel > Notification Area Icons

At the bottom of the screen, make sure "Always show all icons and notifications in the taskbar" is unchecked.

Then you will be able to select the "GWX - Get Windows 10" icon and set it to "Hide Icon and Notifications".

Or - https://techjourney.net/disable-remove-g...stem-tray-icon/

#1097165 - Mon Jun 01 2015 07:37 PM Re: The future for Windows
postcards2go Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York City USA
Thank you, pyonir smile I should have known that. Just got so annoyed at seeing it. My belief is you should never get a new operating system, until it's actually proven to operate tongue

Clicked on your link, and discovered that, due to an innocuous-looking update I can expect to continue to receive 'prompts'. I've removed the offending update.

Edited by postcards2go (Mon Jun 01 2015 07:43 PM)
Edit Reason: Had more to add, after clicking link.

#1097166 - Mon Jun 01 2015 08:08 PM Re: The future for Windows
CheeryDog Offline
Participant

Loc: South Australia
I'm going to probably upgrade mine straight away, only 2 more months of having to get annoyed at windows 8.1

If I still had my windows 7 computer, I'd probably leave it, but I still really hate the start screen for taking up the whole screen.

#1097168 - Mon Jun 01 2015 09:03 PM Re: The future for Windows
Emma058 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ontario Canada
I can hardly wait to get rid of my Windows 8.1 operating system. I loved Windows 7 but this Windows system with the mosaic tile layout is not for me. Keep It Simple is my motto.
My computer that had XP on it was updated so that it could handle Windows 7. My daughter is an Apple fiend. My new laptop came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled and if I could uninstall it and put XP or Windows 7 on it. I would.

#1097177 - Tue Jun 02 2015 12:05 AM Re: The future for Windows
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

There is virtually no difference between Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 versions. In the 8s, just click the Desktop tile and you will be in a virtual Windows XP world with the familiar shortcut icons along the left side and the taskbar at the bottom. The tiles are an attempt to make it all internet all the time computing. It is a different way of using the Internet Explorer as a way to navigate files that was a failure in earlier Windows versions. IMHO

I know I will wait before even trying to digest what that update offers. I didn't even notice the taskbar icon addition. Thank you Dippo for mentioning it here.

#1097252 - Tue Jun 02 2015 10:16 AM Re: The future for Windows
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

I've clicked the icon and carried out the reservation procedure because I've already decided to upgrade. Not sure what the point of the icon is though. Everyone on Windows 7 or 8 will have the option to install the upgrade anyway. No need to actually reserve it. Maybe it's so that Microsoft can tell in advance how much interest there is in Windows 10.

Some people object to the icon staying there and are taking measures to hide or remove it. I don't mind it though. The icon being on the bottom-right of the screen balances up the one that's on the bottom-left of the screen in Windows 8.1. Gives things a more symmetrical look. smile

#1099437 - Thu Jun 18 2015 11:32 PM Re: The future for Windows
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
I refused on principle to move to to Win 8. I'm still on 7, and if they keep up with that hideous colored-square idea I'll be on windows 7 until the end of time.

#1099447 - Fri Jun 19 2015 01:48 AM Re: The future for Windows
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

That's one way to insure longevity.

#1099674 - Sat Jun 20 2015 04:55 PM Re: The future for Windows
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Quote:
if they keep up with that hideous colored-square idea I'll be on windows 7 until the end of time.

I took the precaution of getting a copy of "Windows 8 for Dummies" before I started using my new laptop with the Windows 8 operating system. It mentions a freeware utility called Classic Shell, which enables you to revert to the traditional start menu when starting Windows 8. Since I'm not a technology buff, I wouldn't venture to say "Get it now!", but I've been using it for a couple of weeks and it has worked well without problems for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29