Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#109937 - Wed May 22 2002 12:37 AM POP-UPS !
Kwizling Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: England UK
I appreciate that revenue has to be generated somehow from a free access site, otherwise it would not exist. However, could the amount of pop-ups be reduced please? Signing on today I had 5 and one in particular is an 'annoying little bugger'! If you have not come across it before it starts "Message Alert" and flashes. New visitors will feel it's connected to Funtrivia and probably open it. Oh Dear, they are now set on a rollercoaster of screenS to get rid of it. Have Pop-Ups by all means, but not this style which causes confusion, and in a lot of cases, annoyance...EXIT STAGE LEFT SMILING!

#109938 - Wed May 22 2002 02:08 AM Re: POP-UPS !
allynellie Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ayrshire Scotland UK      
Kwizling,

You already made your point in the other thread about pop-ups. why bother to create a new post about it - if it irritates you that much why not just PM Terry? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

#109939 - Wed May 22 2002 02:21 AM Re: POP-UPS !
lbruggem Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: The Netherlands
ally, judging from the time this thread was started my guess would be that kwizzling started a new thread on pop-ups before realizing that there is one already... [Smile]

#109940 - Wed May 22 2002 02:30 AM Re: POP-UPS !
allynellie Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ayrshire Scotland UK      
Okay, I get what you mean Lo78.

Sorry for misinterpreting this thread, Kwizling, I went back and re-read your post in the other 'Pop-up' thread. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

#109941 - Wed May 22 2002 02:54 AM Re: POP-UPS !
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
No hard feelings here, Cris had posted one yesterday about it, but the message alert one kills me too! I hate it, like being on an airplane and not sleeping because the pilot might need me? Or letting a mobile phone ring on the seat while you drive and trying not to pick the thing up?

I'm getting them from one computer and not the other one. Funny.

Rest assured that the signal flag has gone up Kwizling!

There was a funny new banner one about "looking for grits?" and it struck me because we were talking about them in the commons!

#109942 - Wed May 22 2002 05:26 AM Re: POP-UPS !
tazzly Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Northern California
I might be able to help a little here if anyone wants to listen. I was experiencing a lot of pop-ups right when I signed up here. However I now believe because of what I found out and what I did to my computer, I really don't think that all of it is because of this site. I found out that there are some pop-up that will start solely when you log into any site. why you say? Because these types of pop-up come from a source call spyware! The idea is: Though your usual spam mail or junk mail, or sometimes any mailing list you are on, these parties will get your name from their list or they have program to steal your name off on list that are running their normal everyday mail-outs in the middle of the night. Anyway, once they get your e-mail address or even the number of your computer, when on line, then they will start popping up the minute you log in! This is not really a per say virus but I know it can be anoying! So I went into persuit of anything that would kill it or at least lessen the pain. I found through the Microsoft Homepage and with some reasearch that there is a program with a spyware scan that can detect anything in your system that may have the components to initiate the spyware and let these people get you. So, I downloaded it and ran the scan and boy did I get spyed on.....about 8 it cought the first go around and everyday I do the scan at least once and it will usually find at the least 1 of these. By the way these spyware components are usually hidden within a "cookie" so you would think it is harmless. Basically, technically it is, but I consider my sanity worth harming so I had to kill it myself. So if any of you want to try this or look at the microsoft site that I found this at, I am including that site and also the one that you need for the program that find and kills it, it is called Ad-aware> Good luck and if this even helps one of you from what I was going through it was worth all of this post to write!!!!!!!!!! Happy non-popping, if that is the problem and you try this........ tazzly [Big Grin]

Please note that the microsoft page say that this info was only correct for Windows XP, however I found 0ut through my IT guy (brother) that it will work on anything Windows 95 and above!

Microsoft Page

Ad-aware Dowload off of C-net Page

Again good luck and if you had the same problem maybe yours will go basically away like mine did, I maybe see two a day if that, and I am on my computer sometimes hours at a time!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Wink]
Oh and if you have any questions please don't hesistate to PM me or e-mail me at my e-mail address in my profile!

[ May 22, 2002, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: tazzly ]

#109943 - Thu May 23 2002 02:39 AM Re: POP-UPS !
lbruggem Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link, tazzly! I wasn't suffering from pop-ups too badly (yet?), but downloaded the program anyway. It found some very weird cookies left by a sex site I once accidentally landed on. You know, when you type .com instead of .org and end up somewhere entirely different than you thought you would? I'm glad I got rid of those cookies! [Smile]

#109944 - Thu May 23 2002 11:19 PM Re: POP-UPS !
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
Well is this going to be like the Swiffer? I mean we clean up stuff we don't know about? I'm downloading it, cross your fingers!
Tazzly, on the one hand I want to do this, on the other one, yikes! Maybe my pc is full of dreaded pop ups!

#109945 - Thu May 23 2002 02:37 PM Re: POP-UPS !
tazzly Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Northern California
Bruyere, it does give you the option to pick and choose what you want to keep on your system and what you want to clear!

I hope it abolishes those for you Bruyere, I am so glad I found it myself. It doesn't stop everything of course but it will control them for the most part! Good Luck to you both yo to LO!!

tazzly [Big Grin]

[ May 23, 2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: tazzly ]

#109946 - Fri May 24 2002 11:15 PM Re: POP-UPS !
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BC 
Canada
I am afraid to do this! What if I screw things up for everyone else!? It's a big problem here...who did what that made it screw up....Honest! Is it safe? My daughter just installed a webcam, which made the printer cease. We're forever blaming everyone else...especially HER, I might say...Is it safe? I'd love to get rid of pop-ups! Or most of them....

#109947 - Sat May 25 2002 12:05 AM Re: POP-UPS !
lbruggem Offline
Enthusiast

lefois, if you don't want to delete anything from your computer, you might want to try the program that crisw suggested in the other pop-ups thread. It's called Pop-Up Stopper and doesn't delete anything from your computer.

#109948 - Sat May 25 2002 05:00 AM Re: POP-UPS !
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
Posted in error...]

[ May 25, 2002, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: ren33 ]

#109949 - Sat May 25 2002 07:51 AM Re: POP-UPS !
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I use a firewall on my computer. This stops hackers getting into the computer whilst I'm online. It comes bundled with ‘Pest Control’, which is a spyware cookie detecting and deleting program.

As already said, it is surprising the number of spy cookies the program detects the first time it is run. It also found that an innocent little humour .exe type file on my computer contained a ‘Trojan’, which is a tool that hackers use.

I have got into the habit of deleting spyware cookies once a day. I have found that there is perhaps 5 different ones that seem to be there each time I let the program scan the cookies directory. I could delete them manually because now I know which ones they are. However, I let ‘Pest Control do it just in case there are any others.

I have tried a pop-up stopper but found it stopped some sites working that rely on pop-up windows to operate properly, so I uninstalled it.

Moderator:  agony