Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1105075 - Sat Aug 08 2015 02:50 PM Social Media Legal Pitfalls and Related Matters
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England�UK���...
It occurs to me that this article, published in February 2013, may be of interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20782257

It also gives some indication as to why we have to be careful on this site, too.

#1105088 - Sat Aug 08 2015 06:55 PM Re: Social Media Legal Pitfalls and Related Matters
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
OntarioCanada
It belies the belief that many people are under the mistaken assumption that there
is safety being part of a mob making defaming remarks.
Watch what you say in the heat of the moment, it could come back to bite you in the [censored].

#1105100 - Sat Aug 08 2015 10:52 PM Re: Social Media Legal Pitfalls and Related Matters
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
OntarioCanada
And a bite in the (censored) is really painful....;)

#1168178 - Thu Jun 15 2017 07:19 PM Re: Social Media Legal Pitfalls and Related Matters
Govannon8 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Yukon Canada
I have had a long time(30+ years) interest in the law. It varies from country to country. I checked out the link, a bit heavy for me at the time. I do see how many can use weaknesses, misinterpretation, and subjective thinking to get in `a bit of trouble'.
I also know about the law here in Canada. There is a `safe harbor' provision that protects those that are at least `somewhat ignorant' but, who will be these `right thinking people'?

I am more concerned about the actions of the world at large. Social media? Well, some are not gullible dolts, sheep, but so many are.

Would harsh criticism be violating libel laws? There is also an `ought to know' part in Canadian law. A reasonably sane and experienced adult would be expected to know `basic elements' of the law that relate to `common sense'

Worth reading more about, but I have little fear as far as I am concerned. I guess reposted rumors can be likened to gossip, and that can be malicious, and hurt people, true.
I consider that source.

later, Gov!

Moderator:  ren33