Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1105651 - Fri Aug 14 2015 02:20 PM Kindle app for windows desktop
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Does the Kindle app for Windows desktop on Windows 8 use up internet data allowance? Obviously the initial download of the books would, but while I have the app open and am reading, is that significantly counting against my internet usage?

My internet plan allows me 25 GB/month and I usually don't even come close to that. But today for the first, a message popped up from my service provider warning me that I've used 75% of this month's data. I can't imagine why I've used more than normal this time around. I really only use the internet for web browsing, e-mail, occasional Skype. No real gaming or streaming of video or anything like that. The only thing I've done differently is start using the Kindle app and downloaded two books. Not sure downloading only two books would cause me to use so much more data than normal?

#1105654 - Fri Aug 14 2015 03:09 PM Re: Kindle app for windows desktop
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
I don't know very much about Kindle but my guess is that when you say you downloaded two books, in fact what you did was download the first few pages and all the permissions needed to get more - so when you 'turn' pages, Kindle talks to the server and fetches the next few pages so they're ready. And because the app is talking to the server all the time about where you are, what's next to download, etc. it is using bandwidth.

Try installing a usage checker like Netbalancer. There is a free version, which doesn't have all the features, but it will probably give you a good idea of what are the main drains on your bandwidth. Netbalancer.com - go to Downloads and get the latest version. Hope it helps. Someone else may know of a better tool...

#1105656 - Fri Aug 14 2015 03:15 PM Re: Kindle app for windows desktop
guitargoddess Offline

Ohh yeah that makes a lot of sense. There was sometimes a "buffering" type lag when 'turning' pages. Hmm it hadn't occurred to me that the app would require internet while using it after buying the book and it showing up in my library.

I get my new data allowance on the 18th of the month, so I should be okay staying under the limit with 25% remaining. At least I'm getting my money's worth out of my internet package this month!

#1105686 - Fri Aug 14 2015 08:20 PM Re: Kindle app for windows desktop
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Is there a setting in the app that allows you to turn off internet or network connections?

When you download a book, you should be able to read the entire book without an internet connection. The app may be trying to synch while you are reading, which would use internet data (that data is communicated back to Amazon and the "kindle cloud" for your account. They call it "Amazon's Whispersync technology").

#1105705 - Sat Aug 15 2015 02:20 AM Re: Kindle app for windows desktop
guitargoddess Offline

Hmm the only settings I can find within the app are just for the appearance of the book - font size, margins, etc. There was an option to turn off "show location in the book", no idea if that will make a difference.

Amazon's website does specifically say I don't need an internet connection to read the book once it's downloaded. I suppose I could manually turn off wifi when I'm reading for awhile.

Edited by guitargoddess (Sat Aug 15 2015 02:22 AM)

#1105742 - Sat Aug 15 2015 02:57 PM Re: Kindle app for windows desktop
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I had the feeling that they wouldn't have that option in the app settings...doesn't surprise me that it doesn't.

I don't think that one app should attribute to a whole lot of data though. The books themselves depending on if there are pictures or not shouldn't be more than 5MB at a high max. The app itself is only 34MB according to something I saw when researching it so it can't be from downloading that. I don't think showing location in the book will make a difference, if it does it would be very minimal.

Did you maybe agree to the Windows 10 download? That might account for the data usage, if so. Even if you don't install it, but sign up to receive it, it does download it.

#1105744 - Sat Aug 15 2015 03:23 PM Re: Kindle app for windows desktop
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
My Win 10 (which was just under 3GB) didn't download by itself, it told me it was ready but didn't download until I clicked OK. That may depend on the settings you have for Windows Update - I never let mine download and install automatically, Windows has to be polite and ask permission. wink

#1105753 - Sat Aug 15 2015 06:22 PM Re: Kindle app for windows desktop
guitargoddess Offline

Originally Posted By: pyonir

Did you maybe agree to the Windows 10 download? That might account for the data usage, if so. Even if you don't install it, but sign up to receive it, it does download it.

Oh that could be. I definitely haven't installed it, but I did look at the pop up and may have clicked something that said I agreed to download, I'm not sure.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29