Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1107800 - Fri Sep 04 2015 06:23 AM Expert Game issue
DeepHistory Offline
Participant

Loc: Thassos Greece
Hi, everyone.

I have noticed that the Upcoming games in Who's the Expert do not appear when I put the cursor on the "Upcoming" sign. The same thing happens with "Game Notes". If it can be helpful, I am using Chrome in Windows 7.

Thanks,

DeepHistory.

#1107815 - Fri Sep 04 2015 09:54 AM Re: Expert Game issue
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
They work for me with W 8.1 and IE 11. That feature (roll over pop up) doesn't appear until your page has fully loaded. Have you tried to refresh the page (F5)?
Lately I've run into a lot of incomplete load errors and have found that the Browser 'Go Back' and then 'Come Forward' bring about a full page loading.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1107817 - Fri Sep 04 2015 10:13 AM Re: Expert Game issue
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
It's not a Chrome issue. I am able to see them also, and I use Chrome in Win 8.1.

#1107820 - Fri Sep 04 2015 10:51 AM Re: Expert Game issue
DeepHistory Offline
Participant

Thanks for the advice, guys, but I have done both of these and nothing has changed.

Regards,

DeepHistory.

#1107825 - Fri Sep 04 2015 12:05 PM Re: Expert Game issue
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

So now we take some long shots. You're using Windows 7? That OS is no longer supported (for over a year now). If the Chrome Browser (which revision?) has some recent updates, rollover popups might be unworkable with W 7. Try reviewing your Browser's pop up options to see if something has recently re-toggled on your preferences.

edit: Or, try the technique that fixed your missing icon problem a month ago as suggested by WesleyCrusher: Shift or Ctrl and refresh (F5).

Edited by mehaul (Fri Sep 04 2015 12:11 PM)

#1107836 - Fri Sep 04 2015 01:52 PM Re: Expert Game issue
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: mehaul
So now we take some long shots. You're using Windows 7? That OS is no longer supported (for over a year now).

I believe you are referring to Windows XP, mehaul. Win 7 still has Microsoft support...mainstream support ended on that in January, but extended lasts until January 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=windows%207

#1107845 - Fri Sep 04 2015 02:13 PM Re: Expert Game issue
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I cand storrected.

edit: The part about the Chrome rev and trying the 'super' refresh are still good?

Edited by mehaul (Fri Sep 04 2015 02:23 PM)

#1107855 - Fri Sep 04 2015 02:40 PM Re: Expert Game issue
DeepHistory Offline
Participant

Hi, guys. The problem is still there.

I don't know if you cand storrected, mehaul, but I know that I want to bang my head against a wall. mad

DeepHistory.

#1107856 - Fri Sep 04 2015 03:32 PM Re: Expert Game issue
maninmidohio Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Newark Ohio USA
This is a problem that has been discussed before. It has to do with turning off or on a particular option in the browser. Unfortunately an update to the browser can sometimes reset this option so you are totally unaware that a change occurred. The discussion was well over a year ago, possibly Wesley can remember the fix.

#1107859 - Fri Sep 04 2015 03:45 PM Re: Expert Game issue
DeepHistory Offline
Participant

Thanks, maninmidohio. I hope it will be over soon. grin

DeepHistory.

#1107984 - Sun Sep 06 2015 06:08 AM Re: Expert Game issue
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
I suspect it's a cache issue - that's always the first suspicion that web people have and 95% of the time it's correct. So let's start there.

DeepHistory, first of all, try reloading the page by holding down the Shift key while you click on the "reload this page" button to the left of the address window. Close the browser down, then re-open it to see if that works. If not, hold Shift down, click on reload, close browser, reboot machine. Don't sneak a view of the page while you're doing all that as it may just reload the offending page.

If that doesn't work, you need to clear the cache on your browser. In Chrome, go to Settings and scroll down to "Show Advanced settings"; click on that link and then, under "Privacy" click on the link to "Clear browsing data".

In the pop-up window, make sure that the box next to "cached images and files" is selected and deselect the rest. In the drop down menu near the top (at the end of the line which begins "Obliterate", choose a time period that goes back/would start before the period when this problem started. Now click "clear browsing data" and wait.

And if that doesn't work, we'll try to figure out something else. smile

#1108119 - Tue Sep 08 2015 01:13 AM Re: Expert Game issue
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I wonder if it worked? It can be helpful if posters say what the results of following suggestions are. Others might get the same problem, research it, come across this thread and gain information from it.

Edited by tellywellies (Tue Sep 08 2015 01:14 AM)

#1108122 - Tue Sep 08 2015 02:00 AM Re: Expert Game issue
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

How does Chrome indicate that a page has completely loaded? Both the indications (failed rollovers) are things that load last on the page. My IE has a spinning arrow that changes to a site logo when the loading is done, but even then there is a wait for the image to be rendered. Sometimes when my dial-up is fast, you don't notice a delay. But when it's slow, everything appears loaded even though it isn't. I usually do a tap on the scroller to see if the page moves.
I wonder if Deephistory could also be running into ISP slow downs/reduced bandwidths in Greece maybe and that closes the window before a full loading has occurred?

#1108124 - Tue Sep 08 2015 03:26 AM Re: Expert Game issue
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Emptying the cache is a good first step. It's not known if it worked yet but I'd say your suggestion is another possibility Mehaul. It could be something to do with the page not being fully loaded.

The page-loading indication seems more or less the same in Chrome as is does in IE and Firefox for me. A spinning wheel or arrow in the page tab indicates that content is still downloading and yet to display. The site's logo (or 'favicon') appears when done.

Quite often, page content is loaded from the browser cache. This, having been previously downloaded and stored, displays quickly. The rotating arrow/circle will usually only be seen while content that is new or changed is being downloaded.

How long that takes is down to the connection speed as you say. Also how quickly the site's server is running and even the amount of data traffic there is on the Internet Backbone.

#1108129 - Tue Sep 08 2015 05:03 AM Re: Expert Game issue
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
And, to take this full circle, if the user clicks on something on the page, e.g. the "play now" link, before some content has downloaded then what gets cached is an incomplete page - which might include the response 'pages' to mouseovers.

One other thing worth noting is that web routers also have caches. The internet is just a series of linked computers passing data back and forth, so if a broken page gets cached on one of them, that's what the users on that network will see until it's fixed - and fixing it depends on a large number of users on the network clicking on that page link enough times to flush the cache. There's nothing much an individual can do about it except continue to load/use the page until the problem goes away, which might take a week. Of course, you could phone your ISP and say "I think a router in South Korea has a cache problem, can you reboot your routers so I can play a trivia game?"... good luck with that! wink

#1108136 - Tue Sep 08 2015 08:17 AM Re: Expert Game issue
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Seeing/using a website relies so much on everything working well together that it's a near miracle the Internet works as well as it does. Then there's all the hardware and software at our end that it takes to view what's on the screen. Quite amazing all things considered. smile

#1108150 - Tue Sep 08 2015 12:33 PM Re: Expert Game issue
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

So, if it's a loading piece of business, the amount of data in the pipeline will effect the time to download. Deephistory should try to catch (not cache) the page just as the hour is beginning when there are the fewest names/data to be displayed in the results table and the window of opportunity is open longer for other things?

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29