Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1112375 - Fri Oct 16 2015 02:07 AM Sapotes in Sydney
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney<BR>NSW Australia
Someone told me that 'sapotes' are yummy. They are known as 'chocolate pudding' fruits, but I am having difficulty finding one to try.

Does anyone (Aussies especially) have any idea where I could buy one in Sydney?

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1112418 - Fri Oct 16 2015 12:24 PM Re: Sapotes in Sydney
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Never heard of them! Sorry I can't help you, mate.

#1112420 - Fri Oct 16 2015 12:32 PM Re: Sapotes in Sydney
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
Thailand has them... you might need a short vacation!

#1112449 - Fri Oct 16 2015 05:05 PM Re: Sapotes in Sydney
ozzz2002 Offline

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
Thailand has them... you might need a short vacation!

Would have to eat them there- our Customs people would confiscate them (and probably eat them!) And Thailand is only a 9 hour flight from here... smile

#1112452 - Fri Oct 16 2015 05:35 PM Re: Sapotes in Sydney
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

I don't think they travel very well anyway, if you pick them when they're not ripe they never ripen, and if picked when ripe they start to go off very quickly. Assuming they're the round fruit I'm thinking of; it's a long time since I was in Chiang Mai's market and my memory may be failing... taste more like egg custard than anything.

#1112489 - Fri Oct 16 2015 11:04 PM Re: Sapotes in Sydney
MarchHare007 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Jilliby NSW Australia         

Maybe a wander through Flemington Markets, Ozz?
Harvest Fresh lists them on their 'shopping list' (as Black Sapote) and refers to growers via Flemington.

http://www.harvestfresh.com.au/about-us/

The odd Real greengrocer may have them but they don't travel well so I don't think they are particularly a commercial crop.

You could always grow one, with an initial pruning they're a nice tree. smile

#1112490 - Fri Oct 16 2015 11:46 PM Re: Sapotes in Sydney
ozzz2002 Offline

Thanks, MH! I will check them out there.

Not sure about growing one- I am hungry NOW. smile

#1112509 - Sat Oct 17 2015 05:41 AM Re: Sapotes in Sydney
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Apropos of nothing at all... I went to Oz dum-ti-dum years ago, so long ago that Australian wine had not hit the bigtime here in the old country but I'd drunk some of it and wanted to buy some. When I was in Adelaide I drove up to the Clare Valley and found a winery with a shop. I decided that if I wrapped a few bottles in various parts of my laundry I might be able to get them home without breakages. I told the woman behind the counter I wanted to take some wine back to England but I knew that some wines didn't travel; she looked at me as though I might be a Pommy lizard crawled out from underneath a rock and I gulped under her disdainful look. "No one" she drawled emphatically, "has ever complained about the corks coming out before."

#1204035 - Mon Aug 27 2018 06:42 AM Re: Sapotes in Sydney
windrush Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Australia
Re the sapotes, (chocolate pudding fruit) I recall trying them in Far North Queensland, and I am certain that many of them, along with jackfruit and a lot of other exotics I had never encountered before, were destined for the Sydney and Melbourne markets. You might try Googling availability in Sydney.

Re the wine travelling, Flopsy, that's precious. I guess the reason she hadn't encountered that question before, is that our better Aussie wines are pretty good travellers, providing you can exercise enough willpower not to drink it before you leave the country.

I took a couple of gorgeous reds with me when visiting fifiscot in Boston a couple of years ago. Remembered to pack them in the main baggage through the international and three domestic flights in the States, until the final flight from Philly to Boston- Airport Security found them in my hand luggage - I have no idea how I managed to forget! I was SOOO woebegone when she took my lovely wine away!

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong