Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1119149 - Wed Dec 09 2015 11:39 PM Dinosaur extinction theories
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Victoria Australia
Everyone's got their own ideas on what caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, but I want to talk about some of extinction theories the scientists have come up with.

#1119164 - Thu Dec 10 2015 06:15 AM Re: Dinosaur extinction theories
sisterseagull Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Torquay, Devon UK
Like the concept of 'Paleoweltschmerz'? A pseudo-scientific theory that the dinosaurs had been so successful, and had been around for so many millions of years, that they simply died out from boredom!

#1119313 - Fri Dec 11 2015 05:36 AM Re: Dinosaur extinction theories
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

I assure you the dinosaurs weren't abducted by aliens nor did they die of boredom, but considering their success as a group, their extinction was relatively quick. In fact, no one species of dinosaur lived for more than two or three million years. One of the old theories is that their eggs were eaten by small mammals. This was shown to be false because if it were true, then dinosaurs would have gone extinct a lot earlier. In reality, dinosaurs and early mammals co-existed for 160 million years.

#1155771 - Tue Jan 10 2017 05:01 PM Re: Dinosaur extinction theories
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

Here's another egg-related theory: scientists say dinosaurs may have become extinct because it took up to six months for their eggs to hatch.

#1155808 - Wed Jan 11 2017 12:49 AM Re: Dinosaur extinction theories
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
What has the length of time it took for the eggs to hatch got to do with the dinosaurs going extinct?

#1155817 - Wed Jan 11 2017 02:59 AM Re: Dinosaur extinction theories
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

That's a good question. Personally, I don't know how this will help us understand why dinosaurs went extinct, but according to the latest findings in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, because dinosaurs took so long to hatch, they were more vulnerable to being eaten, while parents risked starvation protecting them. Researchers have found growth markers called von Ebner lines in the teeth of dinosaur embryos which, I assume, can tell them roughly how long the embryos were in the eggs before hatching.

Moderator:  ren33