satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
A recently demolished building near Tonbridge

#1136595 - Wed May 25 2016 04:30 PM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
My garden at dusk this evening, ready for incoming traffic. I've counted six different hedgehogs now and there may be more who visit when I'm not watching. They're certainly munching their way through the food - heaped bowl of special hedgehog biscuits, some mealworms scattered around the garden, and dessert -tonight's dessert included chopped apple and a handful of blueberries with sprinkling of crushed peanuts. I would say that they eat better than I do but I know the blueberries were soft and crinkly, and I really don't fancy the mealworms. grin

#1136754 - Fri May 27 2016 10:22 PM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

When I was young I had a fascination with flyovers, a road going over another road. Here are three including the footbridge on Staples Corner down the road from me.

#1136766 - Sat May 28 2016 06:49 AM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

I never thought anyone would take a picture of that! I hate that junction. If you are not British, rarely drive on the left, and have never navigated your way into/across London from the north, do not go here. Not only will you get stuck, encounter your first batch of kamikaze taxi drivers, and come face to face with a lorry which thought it was smart to get into the right hand lane and then turn left but while you're stuck all you'll have to look at is concrete.*

Meanwhile... this is 'my' latest abode. It's been placed under that choisya shrub, half-filled with hay, and now waits to see if a hog will take up residence. I think I may name my garden "Prickledilly Circus". wink

*None of which, by the way, is a criticism of Sat's picture, it is actually a good photo of what's there... I just don't like what's there! smile

Edited by flopsymopsy (Sat May 28 2016 07:27 AM)
Edit Reason: explanatory note

#1136769 - Sat May 28 2016 07:50 AM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
"Prickledilly Circus" Lol!!!

#1136789 - Sat May 28 2016 04:51 PM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Precious caught me looking at all the lovely photos here and wondered why I hadn't posted one of her in so long! Here she is, waiting patiently go go outside.

#1136852 - Sun May 29 2016 10:54 PM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
Mommakat Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mandurah Western Australia    
I have always thought that Precious was one of the best looking cats featured here, she has that air of propriety about her. Lovely photo Liz.

#1136855 - Mon May 30 2016 01:40 AM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
ren33 Offline

I agree Mommakat, she always looks so aristocratic, sort of above it all.
She reminds me of a cat I met in a very famous Cotswold village , which was a tourist hub, As soon as you approached him he posed , he really did. So used to admiration and notoriety. A real snob. Not that Precious is a snob, too natural for that, but a similar attitude. I will try and find the cat's picture which I of course , like everyone else, was almost willed to take..

#1136856 - Mon May 30 2016 02:02 AM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
ren33 Offline

Can't find that cat anywhere, What the heck ,the Bourgainvillaes are worth a show.

#1136865 - Mon May 30 2016 08:34 AM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I remember Staples Corner when it was a normal junction with traffic lights in the 60s. It was almost home for where we lived and we got held up there every time. The roundabout is hairy at times as people regularly get caught in the wrong lanes but it has reduced the delays a lot there.

The remaining three cooling towers at Didcot Power Station, the others were demolished in 2014. I worked next to them in 1989 and have a photo from my office window I may have posted here already.

#1136883 - Mon May 30 2016 11:18 AM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Precious thanks Mommakat and ren for the compliments, and instructs me to post this photo of her enjoying her evening 'walk' yesterday.

#1136949 - Tue May 31 2016 07:17 AM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
ren33 Offline

What a Madam! She just cant not pose can she?
Here is the aforementioned poser in Lacock, Wiltshire, where so many BBC series have been filmed. No road signs, electric wires or tv aerials are evident, and it is full of tourists in the summer. This gentleman is obviously so used to being photographed he poses as you approach
He is a beauty, which helps.

Edited by ren33 (Tue May 31 2016 07:41 AM)

#1136956 - Tue May 31 2016 11:15 AM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

One thing I miss about my cats is that they would have prevented the cats next door from digging in my garden! I love cats but I don't like theirs.

Talking about posers, this is my front garden. A couple of years ago this was a jungle, then I took a bulldozer to it (well, employed some garden hitmen with a bulldozer), and got some wood, some shingle, and some brown bark for my pains (ok, their pains, my bank account). A couple of shrubs, a few perennials, some bulbs, and a bag of mixed seeds were then added and now, two years later, this is what I've got:

#1137007 - Tue May 31 2016 06:34 PM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
ren33 Offline

and its lovely Caroline. I think you probably understate the amount of work that took on your part too.

#1137088 - Wed Jun 01 2016 07:57 AM Re: May 2016 ... photo a day
flopsymopsy Offline

Administrator

Some work for me at the beginning, now not so much - I pull up a dandelion and other wandering weeds occasionally but my work consists mostly of cutting down/removing dead plants in the autumn and then protecting the suddenly open patch of soil from neighbouring cats. The rest of it is largely self-seeding.

You may remember that when I first put plants in that bed I included six lupins and was stunned/excited when they grew as I'd always failed with them in the past. Of course slugs and snails love them too so I battled to keep those pests away. I lost four lupins but two remain as established plants - one flowers early and currently has seven flower spikes, seven! Anyway, next to the lupins there's a large aquilegia, a Granny's Bonnet as we call them in the UK. I did nothing at all to that plant, the birds/wind brought it, and like Topsy it just growed - I left it alone but I do accept all the neighbours' compliments on how well it's doing!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  flopsymopsy