Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1138503 - Tue Jun 21 2016 09:56 PM Excel help needed
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
I have a spreadsheet, with a column of cells each holding 4 items of data. These are comma-separated, and I want to give each item their individual column. Is there a function that is the 'opposite' of Concatenation? Or could I possibly do some sort of .csv conversion?

If this is not feasible, I am looking for a function that will count occurrences, but ONLY if the item is in upper case.

The column is set out similar to this-

CAT, DOG, fish, cow
HORSE, cow, DOG, CAT
DOG, whale, HORSE, cow

I want to count all the cats, dogs, etc, but not fish or cows....

Any pointers would be very much appreciated!

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1138506 - Wed Jun 22 2016 12:25 AM Re: Excel help needed
Shadowmyst2004 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio USA
Just use the "find" function and see how many it finds of each. That seems like the simplest way to me.

#1138512 - Wed Jun 22 2016 04:43 AM Re: Excel help needed
ClaudiaCat Offline
Participant

Loc: Victoria Australia
The "find" function would work well if you wanted to find only the "DOG" or "HORSE" etc but would not find all the "DOG" "HORSE" etc and only if you know all the variables of the capitals. You can select that it as capitals only but still only on one word at a time.

There is a function "Text to Columns" which appears to be opposite to Concatenation that may work for you but to be honest I am not au fait with it so cant be of any real assistance to you to anymore than this.

Good luck in your endeavours.

#1138546 - Wed Jun 22 2016 04:16 PM Re: Excel help needed
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
Originally Posted By: ClaudiaCat

There is a function "Text to Columns" which appears to be opposite to Concatenation that may work for you ...

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks, ClaudiaCat...

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29