Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1188644 - Tue Jan 30 2018 01:26 AM Growing roses from seeds
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
This is the closest Forum I could find about what this site classifies as Hobbies.

The very lovely veronicavee sent me several packets of rose seeds to replace the rose bushes my crazy neighbor stole. Yes, she really did steal my rose bushes.

I've looked on the Internet on how to grow roses from seeds. But I've found so flirting information (of course!). So ... I'm wondering if anyone knows how to do this or has anyone done this?

#1188658 - Tue Jan 30 2018 07:18 AM Re: Growing roses from seeds
veronicavee Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Algarve Portugal
Mira, I thought they would be up and growing by now...I jest. When I did it, I used seedling trays with compost, put one or two in each compartment and kept them warm (so inside for you) They will take some time to develop, hence the reason I sent them way back to keep you busy during the winter! I did google, typed in "Growing roses from seed packets" came up with info...which I haven't yet read. Did they not come with instructions? They should have done. No, obviously not or you wouldn't be asking! Hope one of the garden people on F/T will help further. Vee

#1188782 - Wed Jan 31 2018 10:47 PM Re: Growing roses from seeds
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

What I found by googling said to freeze them for a few months, then put them in wet paper towels for a few weeks in the fridge. Nope, no instructions included smile

Seedling trays? Remember, I've got a household starting with nothing. I've had to repurchase those once in a lifetime purchases like an indoor ladder, a hammer, shovels, etc. I've never used seedling trays.

#1188824 - Thu Feb 01 2018 11:49 AM Re: Growing roses from seeds
veronicavee Offline
Enthusiast

You should be able to get them at any store that sells garden things, a garden center (but they will be more expensive) or even your supermarkets that sell everything. They are usually made of plastic or the thing that s like an egg carton. Infact egg cartons would do fine. I have looked on Amazon but they seem to come in really large amounts. Should only be a dollar or two and you don't need many.
Next time I'll send you a garden gnome!
Are there no gardeners on f/t?

#1188826 - Thu Feb 01 2018 12:09 PM Re: Growing roses from seeds
veronicavee Offline
Enthusiast

Sorry, the other one ran away. Why not try a few the way that was suggested....wet tissue and freezer etc.

In the chat room which I now am unable to find, there was a garden part, perhaps you could ask on there and see if somebody comes back to you.

#1188950 - Fri Feb 02 2018 12:20 PM Re: Growing roses from seeds
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Every time I've been to the chat room, no one has been there. Since there isn't any time stamps, I don't even know when people do show up!

How are rose seeds grown with seedling trays? I've got eggs in the fridge but I doubt I'll eat the dozen in time to plant the seeds. Plus you sent me so many seeds I'd have to eat a dozen eggs for every meal for more than a month to get enough empty egg cartons smile.

I eat yogurt a lot. Could I use empty plastic yogurt cartons? They are kind of small. Would I put one seed in each one? And I'd have to use smelly compost? Would potting soil work? Or would mixing it with potting soil work? I've got half a bag of potting soil. Yeah, that's not enough of that either. How long do they need to be in seedling trays, or hopefully yogurt cups, before planting outside? Do those trays need to be in the sunlight? And how warm or cold do I need to be keeping them? Do I do the same thing for the climbing roses as the rose bush seeds? What about the lavender seeds? I haven't found a thing about growing that.

#1189028 - Sat Feb 03 2018 07:14 AM Re: Growing roses from seeds
veronicavee Offline
Enthusiast

Once again I went to Google and typed in 'how to plant lavender from seed' and 'how to plant roses from seed' and found information.

#1189139 - Mon Feb 05 2018 12:01 AM Re: Growing roses from seeds
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

The google method is how I found freeze them for a while them put the seeds in wet paper towels for a while. But since you've successfully done it, I'd rather hear your method with the seed trays.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong