Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1272977 - Tue Sep 08 2020 09:06 AM Virtual Schooling
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I started this thread in case people have technology problems while their kids are doing virtual schooling. My daughter spent the sprig at the dining room table, so we bought her a nice desk for her room for the fall... I tried logging on for the pre-school meet the teacher thing and the connection dropped twice. We have a wifi router with two different bands, so I switched to the slower (non-5G) one and the 5G kept trying to connect to the computer instead. smirk My dad and husband ended up spending all day Saturday wiring my daughter's room with two ethernet cables. So far, so good - but I'm knocking on wood just the same!

Editor for Television Category

#1273019 - Wed Sep 09 2020 01:49 AM Re: Virtual Schooling
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Others look to experience the same problem (search for - computer will not stay connected to 2.4g wi-fi) and there may be an answer somewhere that would solve the difficulty for you. However, the solutions don't look easy or reliable and I think bypassing the problem with a direct connection was a good way around it. I have done the same in the past for a getting an Internet connection from one end of the house the other.

What would have also worked is the Homeplug solution where the Internet connection comes via the mains electricity supply. I know there are wi-fi versions but the one I use is Ethernet cable connection in at the router end and the same out at the distant computer end. The Internet connection via the Homeplug has been very reliable.

Edited by tellywellies (Wed Sep 09 2020 01:50 AM)

#1273020 - Wed Sep 09 2020 01:55 AM Re: Virtual Schooling
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
As an (ex) school Principal, I have to say:
Hats off to you all for persevering and getting it sorted. It is lovely to hear of such a caring , lovely, supportive family. I hope she will win through and enjoy her hopefully, temporary online school life!
I am in touch with everyone at my old school (they have not yet replaced me!) and they have really had to work hard to keep all the students going. The exam results, after all the traumas, were good , even though lessons were online. The setting, marking and returning of work proved exhausting, but worth it. I am really proud of them too! Lets hear it for the suffering parents and teachers everywhere! Yay!!

#1273067 - Wed Sep 09 2020 03:12 PM Re: Virtual Schooling
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
The families of the youngest kids are really struggling in trying to get them to settle down and pay attention. I am so grateful one is in 4th and the other is at an in-person class.

First two days of virtual schooling went ok - no computer problems, but she complained by 10am that she had a headache. We have those blue light glasses for her to wear. She didn't complain after she put them on so maybe that worked.

PE was interesting - they want the kids to see if they can find a good space to move in. I'm going to encourage my daughter to do it outside - then she can get some fresh air at the same time!

TW - that was our backup plan if we couldn't get the ethernet up to her room over the weekend. Luckily, there's a good computer store not too far away that would have had whatever we needed, but ethernet would end up being the most reliable to use anyway, so it's good we were able to get it done (and my husband and dad knew how!).

Editor for Television Category

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29