Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#1287796 - Fri Apr 23 2021 11:04 AM Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
Sidd2 Offline
Participant

Loc: Quebec Canada
Something strange happened this morning. A couple of days ago I wrote a New Question about doxing. I'd run across the term for the first time the day before. So yesterday an editor dinged it (justifiably, it was badly written) so I corrected and resubmitted. This morning I checked and happily found my question had been accepted. Literally two minutes later, the phone rang. A friend of mine was in a panic. Somebody had been posting info about where he worked, his home address, and his email (he's a journalist) and it was all over the web. What are the odds on that happening? Really strange and very unfortunate.

#1287873 - Sat Apr 24 2021 02:38 AM Re: Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I had to look up the word 'doxing' so for others like me, this is it...

Quote:
Doxing (or doxxing) is the practice of revealing personal information about someone online without their consent. The word first emerged in the world of online hackers in the 1990s, where anonymity was deemed sacred; in most cases, people's real-world identities were unknown to their allies and rivals.

I am a firm believer in coincidences but this is a bit spooky.

#1287886 - Sat Apr 24 2021 08:07 AM Re: Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
Sidd2 Offline
Participant

Loc: Quebec Canada
Thanks for the definition Sue, yes, it was new to me too. I was a little worried that I'd set up some kind of vibration in the etheric zone so I didn't tell him about the question I'd been mulling over for a day and a half. He has no idea who or why would do such a thing, but it does seem to be some kind of personal attack. It's kind of scary out there today.

#1287963 - Sun Apr 25 2021 08:27 PM Re: Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I have spent about the last 20 years investigating synchronicity. It started with the Baader-Meinhof effect, hearing a word for the first time then hearing it soon after, which was so common I would predict it with a witness and then it would happen. Then it extended to phrases. I can hear something on the radio and read it on the internet at exactly the same time on a regular basis. Once I tell people then it starts happening to them as well as it seems to open the door to them. I'm sure we are all connected by a harmonic web so all this happens by the nature of science.

#1287967 - Sun Apr 25 2021 10:34 PM Re: Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
No, it did not start with "the Baader-Meinhof effect".

A very long time before Baader or Meinof began their careers as terrorists, humans experienced frequency illusion or recency bias. Frequency illusion and recency bias are the same thing.

Person learns a new word or phrase. Person buys a new white car. Suddenly, person is noticing that word or phrase more often. Person is also noticing how many white cars there are out there in the world. Person will also soon notice how difficult it is to keep white cars clean.

What has happened is the person brain has now registered new word or phrase as something to notice. Same for white cars. Person now has to recognize their white car in the sea of cars in any parking lot. Person's brain has memo to self "be on the lookout for a white car".

This has nothing to do with being connected to some harmonic web. It has to do with having a functional brain.

#1289636 - Wed May 19 2021 06:45 PM Re: Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I have thought about it and my view is one, which you have mentioned, such as white cars, is inclusive, as there are thousands of white cars and noticing them is just a matter of targeted awareness. The Baader-Meinhof effect is exclusive, as it only relates to extremely rare words and other areas, and the fact they arrive independently with no outside cause such as a related news event specifically sets them apart from others.

Also synchronicity, where you hear an unusual word or phrase and read it just before or soon afterwards that also defies the odds if it happens on a regular basis.

#1289671 - Thu May 20 2021 03:08 AM Re: Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Substitute neon purple car for white car and what I wrote still applies. The white car example I used is the standard example given in the professional literature dealing with the topic.

#1289678 - Thu May 20 2021 06:38 AM Re: Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA
MiraJane, would that apply to someone who is left handed that notices other lefties?

#1289719 - Thu May 20 2021 03:39 PM Re: Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Possibly. I learned about what is being discussed in a linguistics class about words and phrases that a person suddenly notices more often. The phenomena was not named after a Germans terrorist gang.

#1289753 - Fri May 21 2021 03:18 AM Re: Coincidence? Maybe yes, maybe no
flopsymopsy Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Northampton England UK
"Frequency illusion" and "recency bias" are not quite the same thing. Recency bias is when the mind gives more weight to an occurrence or statement more recent than another. Recency is why politicians like to have good news for their side just before an election, why lawyers like to have the last word, and why witnesses give prominence to things that happen later.

Frequency illusion occurs when awareness of a phenomenon leads the individual to think that it's now happening more often. It can relate to simple things: at a restaurant your dessert comes with a kumquat on the side, you've never seen one before but for the next month every visit to the supermarket reveals mounds of them. You think the store has just started selling kumquat but in fact they were there before, you just didn't 'see' them because you didn't know what they were. Or you see a phrase in a novel and suddenly it's everywhere, in newspapers, on tv, websites... There's actually no increase in frequency, your brain just didn't recognise it before it came into your recent consciousness.

Frequency illusion is pretty much the same thing as the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. It is in fact a more recent term, though neither of them are particularly old. The "Baader-Meinhof phenomenon" (which actually was named after the German terrorists) was first named in the 1990s, the term "Frequency illusion" was coined ten years later, in 2005.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943