Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#150308 - Sun Jan 05 2003 03:46 PM Thunder and Lightning!
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BC 
Canada
Well here I sit, at 1:45pm on a Sunday afternoon in January in very Northern Canada........and we're having thunder and lightning! Most unseasonal! The ground is covered in a thick layer of snow, though it's raining now, and I've just witnessed the second volley! I did see this happen once at night in winter a few years ago and it was spectacular, though I thought we'd been hit by a meteor or something for quite a few minutes.

Does anyone have a "thunder and lightning" story to share?

#150309 - Sun Jan 05 2003 04:00 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
When I bought my first computer about 7 years ago we got it at a place about 6 hours away and headed off home. I couldn't wait to get home to unpack it all and get started. About two hours from home a storm brewed up, lightning was crashing and the thunder was unreal - you could hear it above the sound of the car. We only had a Landcruiser traytop so the computer was out in the open in the back of the truck. There wasn't much rain but we were making contingency plans if it did start to rain ... we would stop, put the computer in the front and we'd stay outside in the rain. But we made it home, unpacked the truck, got everything inside and THEN it started to rain ... bucket loads! It was jsut amazing .. .the storm must have been following us for all that time Since there was still a lot of lightning for a while, I had to wait until the next morning before setting up the computer.

#150310 - Sun Jan 05 2003 04:22 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
We had thunder and lightning here a week or so ago, which is very unusual for here too. The first very loud clap of thunder happened just as I stepped out to put some rubbish in the bin. It really made me jump ...being unexpected. It was almost as if it was waiting for me to go outside. Hmm ...I hope He's not trying to tell me something!

#150311 - Sun Jan 05 2003 04:25 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I am having wonderful visions of you and Jack getting soaked and the computer sitting in the front seat! What I thought you were going to say is that after driving six hours with it you got it all fixed up and the lightning blew the modem, I am glad that my version was wrong.

#150312 - Mon Jan 06 2003 02:50 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
lol Lefois! I'm in a southern part of Canada (southeastern Ontario) and it's been snowing non-stop for the last couple of days. We have at least a couple of inches now. I hate snow.

#150313 - Mon Jan 06 2003 02:59 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
saintlysinner Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Lucky you LadyCaitriona non stop snow, that's all I wish for and I'm not getting any snow where I live. Lots of ice but no snow.

#150314 - Mon Jan 06 2003 03:48 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
Ballykissangel Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada    
Saintlysinner,

I live in Halifax, Canada, and we have hoards of the white stuff. I'd gladly give you my share! I must admit to not being a snow lover--actually I don't like winter in any cold form. I spent Christmas with my sister and her family on Prince Edward Island, and when we get 2 feet of snow they are likely to get 4 feet! That's where you need to be!:)

#150315 - Mon Jan 06 2003 05:46 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
LadyC and Bally, you can both send me some snow! It is my dream to have it snow non stop for a few days. I would love even a foot! The last time I can even remember getting 8 inches was 5 or 6 years ago. We used to get incredible snows all the time when I was a kid, but each year seems to be less and less.

We do get soe pretty spectacular lightning in the spring and summer though. In late August a few years ago, we had one storm where the lightning was streaking sideways and up and down (both) really violently It was beautiful and scary to watch all at the same time.
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#150316 - Mon Jan 06 2003 06:20 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BC 
Canada
Babymoo! I was going to send you my video clip I took New Year's Day or so! I just turned my webcam around and pointed it out the window! It was beautiful! I have a large park right behind my backyard and I waited and waited til some folks walked by! Huge "softball" sized flakes and serenity all round. BUT...I just visited my webcam file and discovered that I deleted everything yesterday whilst "cleaning up" the computer! Sorry......I tried! We had 35cm in a day! Maybe next time! ~Lea

#150317 - Mon Jan 06 2003 06:38 PM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
That would have been so incredible to see! I think the biggest flakes I have ever seen were about quarter (American quarters ) sized, and was amazed at their size. I hope you have the huge flakes again soon 35 cm in one day is alot. If I could just have that once..... We have been talking about moving up north when we retire so that we can be where the snow is. But, he's 39 and I am 31, so it is going to be a while yet.
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#150318 - Wed Jan 08 2003 04:08 AM Re: Thunder and Lightning!
Bertho Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Queensland Australia
Where I am in Oz, you used to be able to set your watch on the time the thunderstorm rolled over toward the coast. Between 4.30 and 5pm every afternoon the sky would turn black then open up in a mass downpour, thunder lightning the whole show. It would last 20 minutes then slide past, the sun would be out again as if nothing happened. It was actually very welcome to cool the place off. Steam would then drift off the concrete and bitumen. It was kind off surreal.

It doesn't happen as regularly now thanks to greenhouse etc, but massive thunder storms are still common enough, though they seem to be a lot more deadly these days, removing house roofs and bringing hail damage and lots of electrical damage from lightning strikes.

I love it. The awesome power and the incredible light show. When the storm is overhead it's not uncommon to see the lightning strike trees, sometimes forking and hitting multiple targets at once. The thunder cracks when the storm is overhead is also pretty incredible.

#150319 - Wed Jan 08 2003 04:04 PM Snow
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
Had a small snowstorm here last night, now everything's covered in wet, packy snowman snow!!!

I had forgotten until last night the best part of winter - being snuggled up with your favourite guy (or gal!) inside and away from it!

Moderator:  ren33, sue943