Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#151880 - Sun Jan 12 2003 05:27 PM Re: Display Preferences
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
I haven't played with the text area columns or the text area rows yet. I have set my parent posts and posts to 25 for faster loading though. It really made a difference.

I think I am going to stick with desert. It didn't take the few days I thought it would to make the decision. I tried the "wild" for about 5 minutes, but as often as I am here half the night (or all night ) playing the chains, I don't think I could last very long with wild. Hey, there's a thought! IF I put it on wild, maybe I won't be here all night anymore......... Nah, I think I would rather play the chains for long periods of time than force myself to leave because my eyes hurt.
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#151881 - Sun Jan 12 2003 07:45 PM Re: Display Preferences
pinfire Offline
Prolific

Loc: Western Australia
Hello, could someone tell me what "ranchoweb" is please?

Thanks

#151882 - Sun Jan 12 2003 08:05 PM Re: Display Preferences
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
Ranchoweb (www.ranchoweb.com) is a site that offers free image hosting. That is, you can upload pictures (or other files there) and then make links to them at other sites.

#151883 - Sun Jan 12 2003 09:42 PM Re: Display Preferences
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
I didn't know about ranchoweb until I read about it here. I love it and have 3 accounts now.
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#151884 - Mon Jan 13 2003 12:05 AM Re: Display Preferences
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Good image Russ5. The only thing I would suggest though is to resize it. The space below your name allows an image of 80x80 pixels in size (looks about an inch square, depending on your monitor resolution). If the image size consists of more pixels than that it gets squashed up to fit into the 80x80 pixel space.

I had a look at the properties of your image. It is a 345x432 pixel image being squashed into the space. The image's true physical size makes the file size a rather large 35Kb. Images with large file sizes slow down image and page loading times. 35Kb is very big for an image showing as 80x80 pixels.

Some of the large file size is due not only to the image's physical dimensions but also because the resolution of it is 300 dots per inch. 72 or 96 dots per inch is about right for displaying images in web pages.

So, it would be better if the picture's height were reduced to 80 pixels in an image/photo editing program. The image's width will usually reduce proportionately (down to 64 pixels in the case of this image). At the same time as doing this, the dots per inch the image is made up of need reducing too.

This maybe seems a bit involved but it isn't too bad to do really. Almost any image/photo editing software will have the necessary features for resizing and setting dots per inch.

When done, the file size of the image will go down from the whopping 35Kb it is now to under 4Kb (or roughly a tenth of the file size). This greatly helps FT pages load more quickly.

#151885 - Mon Jan 13 2003 04:04 AM Re: Display Preferences
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I think your post ties in with one I just made in Feedback where some members are commenting on slow-loading of some Chain Games, I did a check on some of the avatars and found they ranged from just over 2,000 to over 40,000 bytes. You only need a few people with larger avatars to post in a thread to slow it down. Now I need to check my own avatar size!

Just checked mine, it is fairly small.

Russ5, I just played with your image on my computer and have reduced the file size to 2.96 Kb without much effort. I will contact you by PM.

#151886 - Mon Jan 13 2003 07:28 AM Re: Display Preferences
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
The file size of a single small non-animated image processed specially for use in FT need never take up more than about 7 -8 Kb. (more typically 3 - 4Kb though).

Animated pictures can have larger file sizes than this. How much larger depends on how many single images are used to make up the animation. In the interests of the speed of the FT site, it's good to give file size some consideration when choosing an animated or a still image.

The detail and number of colours an image has in it (animated or not) will also have a bearing on file size and, therefore, page loading times.

#151887 - Mon Jan 13 2003 07:53 AM Re: Display Preferences
pinfire Offline
Prolific

Thank you LadyCaitriona, does that mean I can download a picture and save it on my computer, then use it for here?
Sorry, but I am not a wizard when it comes to computers

Thanks.

#151888 - Mon Jan 13 2003 09:29 AM Re: Display Preferences
DieHard Offline
Prolific

Loc: Louisiana USA
pinfire, if you use an image off of your hard drive you will see it but no one else will. I was doing that for a long time until someone pointed out my error.

Go to Computers and Technology forum and click on the thread "Using ID Images or Avatars". Click on the first link that says "Please read this thread". Then go down a couple of entries and read Shadowhippies excellent step-by-step process. If you follow her instructions you can't go wrong. Good Luck!

#151889 - Mon Jan 13 2003 09:37 AM Re: Display Preferences
pinfire Offline
Prolific

Thank you DieHard

#151890 - Mon Jan 13 2003 10:36 AM Re: Display Preferences
Russ5 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oban
I've changed my avatar, following, hopefully, your instructions, how does it look now?

#151891 - Mon Jan 13 2003 10:47 AM Re: Display Preferences
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Wunderba! That is now 3,037 bytes which is a far cry from the other one, less than a tenth of the size.

#151892 - Mon Jan 13 2003 10:58 AM Re: Display Preferences
Russ5 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oban
Brilliant. Thanks for all your help Sue, much appreciated.

#151893 - Mon Jan 13 2003 12:16 PM Re: Display Preferences
sue943 Online   content
Administrator

Channel Islands    
You're welcome.

#151894 - Wed Jan 15 2003 04:24 AM Re: Display Preferences
Blinkybill Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia          
Help!! All my colours have changed!
I have been using "wild" as my preferance for a long time, I was happily reading through the forums with my lovely deep mauve and dark blue with a splash of green and yellow when WHAM! I now have yukky lilac, pastel blue, everything is pastel .
Can anyone tell me why this may have happened or has it happened to anyone else?
I really liked my other colours and hope they will come back.

#151895 - Wed Jan 15 2003 05:26 PM Re: Display Preferences
ProofReader Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:

Help!! All my colours have changed! ... Can anyone tell me why this may have happened or has it happened to anyone else?

Hi Bill,

Terry has upgraded the site and this is one of the 'side effects'. See The Commons and Feedback for everyone's comments!

Cheers,
ProofReader

#151896 - Wed Jan 15 2003 05:46 PM Re: Display Preferences
draculanut31 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Waterford New Jersey USA    
AARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! I hope that he fixes it soon! I'm not too fond of having to use blue.

#151897 - Wed Jan 15 2003 06:10 PM Re: Display Preferences
Blinkybill Offline
Prolific

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia          
Me too Trishy, I'm using sand now, it's really bland after wild.

#151898 - Thu Jan 16 2003 12:55 PM Re: Display Preferences
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
With the changes made recently, I am now thinking about keeping InfoPop.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ren33, sue943