Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#155008 - Sat Jan 25 2003 09:10 AM What would you rather do?
Samantha Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New Jersey
This is just a silly little "poll", provided you have no physical problems walking, who would you rather go shopping with, me or my friend: When my friend goes into a parking lot she will ride around to find the closest space, then sit and sit with her blinker on when she finds someone going to their car to leave, and she'll wait for the space. (sometimes someone will come from the other side and cut in and take the space and she gets mad). When it's time to leave, she has to wait to back out because being she is so close to the store, people are constantly walking behind her car, cars are driving around looking for spaces... however on a cold day you don't have to walk far (or on a sweltering day, if you are one who hates the heat). Then you have me, I'll just go to the far end where there are available spaces (even if it's a quarter mile away, I pull in, no waiting, then no waiting to leave, no one getting angry, etc. - except it's usually a longer walk (in cold, heat OR rain)

#155009 - Sat Jan 25 2003 09:21 AM Re: What would you rather do?
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
If I was in a car BEHIND your friend I would be getting quite stressed, she will be holding up the traffic while she waits for that person to load their shopping into the car then pull out of the space. Your friend is very selfish as far as I am concerned.

You sound far more sensible, you don't waste everyone's time and are considerate. I will shop with you.

#155010 - Sat Jan 25 2003 09:30 AM Re: What would you rather do?
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I always park a bit further when there is space...rather than wait for a close one...but here, we have little space..and we do have to wait for a space, which I detest...there's nothing else to do though...most shopping centers have to have parking lots and they let you in one at a time...
Then you have to wait, dying of carbon monoxide poisonning, while the person pulls out. This is the only way here in my area that you can grocery shop. There aren't any American style shopping centers nearby. THen, if you wait for someone with a cart...they'll have to return the cart to get their coin back..or to put the thing away..therefore, you'll be making a line of people wait...

I'd obviously shop with you Samantha..and since when did Sue need urging to shop? Even down here Sue, I'd take you around and we'd have a real lark.
I'd just love to park far away...anything but making people wait.

#155011 - Sat Jan 25 2003 12:07 PM Re: What would you rather do?
lefois Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kitimat BC 
Canada
Definitely I would shop with Samantha! My husband has some of the traits of your friend, but I rarely go with him! I find it very annoying and got stuck in our local large grocery store parking lot behind a clown like that just last week! I was only taking one pass around before I headed for the more remote spaces! Besides, I have a huge old boat of a car and sometimes shy away from the "tight" spots!

#155012 - Sat Jan 25 2003 12:36 PM Re: What would you rather do?
Chippy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma USA
I'm handicapped, so people think that I'm guaranteed a spot right up front. SOOOOO not true! For one thing, able-bodied people park in the designated handicapped spots all the time, especially now when the highs have been in the low 20's (Farenheit). Anyway, I have a ramp coming out of my van that I have to use. So I either have to have a big parking spot, or one on the end, to give the ramp room and me room to get off of it. This often means I have to park a long ways away. Anyway, yesterday there was a bit of a traffic jam, as someone had started down a row and someone in that row was backing out of their spot. While I was waiting on the row to free up, a beautiful spot right beside the door opened up! So I looked behind me and no one was coming, so I started backing up, all the while saying "please don't let a car come! please don't let a car come!" and I got the post perfect parking spot in the world. And we all lived happily ever after!

But I hate being with people that drive around forever looking for a slightly better spot. My dad was trying to get me to do that one day. Finally I pulled into 2 spots (for my ramp), stopped and said "THIS is where we're parking!" lol

#155013 - Sat Jan 25 2003 01:36 PM Re: What would you rather do?
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Samantha, your my kind of shopper! I usually have to park in disabled parking places (with all the usual moans about people using them that don't have a badge!) because Mrs TW needs one but when I do the supermarket run on my own, I park in a spot far away from the entrance.

While the people who like to park close to the entrance are still waiting for that prime spot, I'll have parked the car and be in the store doing the shopping.

#155014 - Sat Jan 25 2003 04:51 PM Re: What would you rather do?
Moo Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: at the computer
I would rather just park farther away. I figure with the time I spend looking for a spot up front, I am taking away from time I could already be shopping. Plus, I have found that when you park way up front, where everyone is trying to squeeze in, you are more likely to get little dings and scratches on your car from carts, car doors etc.
Then extract your wisdom teeth." [/color]

#155015 - Sat Jan 25 2003 05:20 PM Re: What would you rather do?
jubjub Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada
Your friend is one of those inconsiderate people who raise my blood pressure almost every day. She is very selfish when it comes to her personal convenience. I'm with you. We park quite far and hike it into the mall or wherever.

#155016 - Sat Jan 25 2003 05:28 PM Re: What would you rather do?
Leau Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Nijmegen/Brisbane
I'm terrible at parking in tiny (and even not-so-tiny) parking spaces! So usually when I have to park a car (and that's not so often, as I don't have a car of my own) I end up far far away from the place I have to go to.

Waiting for that one spot near the entrance of the mall and then squeezing the car in? Absolutely not my thing! All those people watching and waiting make me very nervous and I'd end up crashing into things (or even people )...

#155017 - Sat Jan 25 2003 06:55 PM Re: What would you rather do?
Samantha Offline
Forum Adept

I was very surprised to see everyone like me! Because I always seem to see everyone going nuts waiting for close spaces, I thought that was more the norm! A little exercise never hurt anyone, right??

What really gets me is one time I saw all the handicapped spaces taken up, with NO sticker or handicapped plate on the vehicles, and there was this little old man driving around with a handicapped plate with nowhere to park!! That was so sad and got me so angry!

#155018 - Sat Jan 25 2003 08:35 PM Re: What would you rather do?
thingmabob Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex, UK
I would rather park further away and usually have to when some people, who obviously don't have kids, park in the parent and child spaces! I do prefer to park in these spaces because it gives you more room to try and haul two kids under three in and out of the car! You need so much room to put a baby in a car seat into the car. This just is'nt possible in regular sized spaces. You have to have the door wide open otherwise you just get pushed into the back seat by the door swinging back at you!
Look at me babbling on, I sound like a right moaner!

#155019 - Sat Jan 25 2003 09:20 PM Re: What would you rather do?
quaxo Offline
Explorer

Loc: New York USA
I'm with you Samantha, but I don't drive very much since I live in New York City where you really don't need a car. My sister lives in the suburbs and since I was a kid she would take me shopping with her because I always remembed where we parked. Now she takes me around to schlep the shopping bags! I don't mind she's my best friend. She usually parks where her car won't get bumped or scratched. We never mind walking too far.

Hey how did you get that neat cat icon? I'm new to the forums and the internet so I need some help. Everybodys got such neat stuff attached to their names I want one too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bustopher Jones is not skin and bones--
In fact, he's remarkably fat.
He doesn't haunt pubs--he has eight or nine clubs,
For he's the St. James's Street Cat!" T.S. Eliot

#155020 - Sun Jan 26 2003 07:56 AM Re: What would you rather do?
Samantha Offline
Forum Adept

Well, I'm going to try a THIRD time to post!
I hope that in the meantime the other 2 posts don't show up.
I kept hitting "continue" and the same screen kept coming back. It never verified that my post had been posted...

So here it is again:
My daughter got that cat icon for me off the internet somewhere, she doesn't recall. I didn't know how to do that sort of thing, so she ran across something one day and told me she'd set me up with it. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. But most everyone here is pretty good with the computer, you may even find some information in the computer and technology forum.

(and here I sit with fingers and toes crossed that THIS post goes through )

Moderator:  ren33, sue943