Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#169698 - Fri Apr 25 2003 09:34 AM My eyes hurt
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
For the past month or so, I've been having a lot of blurriness in my eyes. At times, they even hurt. It's to the point that I've considered making an appointment with the eye doctor to make sure there's nothing wrong with them.

But, strangely enough, they didn't hurt at Easter. Because of this fact, I'm beginning to suspect that it's just the fact that I stare at a computer screen all day. Since getting away from the computer did wonders for my eyes, it must be just eye strain or something.

About a month ago, I got a new screen at work - it's a flat screen, which is different than what I had before.

Do y'all have any suggestions on how I can relieve my eyes and keep them from being so blurry? I'm trying to take occasional breaks and not look at the screen.

Are there filters or something out there that I should be using to help with looking at the screen?

Are there eye exercises I can do?

Help! I can hardly see.

#169699 - Fri Apr 25 2003 09:49 AM Re: My eyes hurt
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
Linda I was suffering this way a few months ago, it felt like I had managed to get soap in my eyes or had been in a very smokey room. I was about to get my eyes checked then it ocurred to me that I had bought a different brand of eye shadow, I changed back to my hypo-allergenic one and bingo, eyes no longer sore and the blurring has gone... I had also thought it was my new flat screen. So have you changed your makeup at all, not necessarily eye make-up. shame, I like the colour of the new one but the stinging eyes had to go.

#169700 - Fri Apr 25 2003 10:03 AM Re: My eyes hurt
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
An easy solution, Linda.

Blink!

People tend to stare at the screen without blinking, which results in no lubrication to your eyeballs. I am guilty of the same thing, and end up with eyes that feel like someone has thrown sand in my face...

I am not sure if the screen type makes a great deal of difference- it is still a screen

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#169701 - Fri Apr 25 2003 10:06 AM Re: My eyes hurt

NSW Australia
Sue, I changed my eye-shadow (whatever that is).. lol.. didn't work:)

Oh, a sailor said 'Hi' to me..

#169702 - Fri Apr 25 2003 10:15 AM Re: My eyes hurt
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
First things first. Have an opthamologist check your eyes. I spent a good part of my working life doing troubleshooting and one question I always asked is, "what has changed?" Since you went from a regular CRT to a flat screen (LCD) I would ask the doctor if that change would have any bearing on your change in vision. It probably does not since you are focusing at the same plane.
Has anything else changed in your work environment in the past month? Ambient lighting, for example.
But, first, eliminate any problems with your vision with a visit to the eye doctor. Good luck, dear.

#169703 - Fri Apr 25 2003 10:26 AM Re: My eyes hurt
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Because of a couple of eye conditions that I've had in recent years, I go to the eye doctor about every 6 months (if not more often). Granted, it's time for me to go again; I just got my card in the mail yesterday to remind me. But, I'm thinking that it's not as much that there's something wrong with the eyes themselves as it is that I'm staring at the screen all day. Especially since I didn't have a problem last weekend.

That's not to say, however, that it's not eye related in some way. Perhaps it is that I'm not blinking enough. Or, that the change in screen doesn't affect the way I'm seeing. So, you're right, maybe I do need to see my doctor and ask what he suggests.

I'm not wearing any new makeup, Sue. In fact, my philosophy has always been that sleep is much more important than makeup! I do manage to get some on before I leave the house. But, I don't have much time to do a whole lot to my face!

[Editing to add that I'm laughing at Ozzz! What he said just hit me - ok, a bit delayed, but I got it! ]

Edited by Linda1 (Fri Apr 25 2003 10:27 AM)

#169704 - Fri Apr 25 2003 10:52 AM Re: My eyes hurt
silverginger Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: St. Meinrad Indiana USA      
I had eyeitis a few months back. The doctor said lowering the screen resolution, and turning the contrast down on the monitor helps a little.

#169705 - Fri Apr 25 2003 10:59 AM Re: My eyes hurt
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Hmmmm...worth a shot. I've now lowered the contrast and changed the focus. We'll see what that does.

#169706 - Fri Apr 25 2003 11:01 AM Re: My eyes hurt

NSW Australia
Eyeitis? Methinks someone is taking the Mickey a bit

#169707 - Fri Apr 25 2003 11:03 AM Re: My eyes hurt
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
I think that flat screen monitors do have a different quality of luminance from CRT ones but I'm not sure if that could cause sore eyes. The advice would have to come from a professional about that.

I found that when I got my flat screen monitor I needed to keep the brightness down a little from the default setting. Not because I was getting sore eyes but just because I found it brighter than my CRT monitor.

#169708 - Fri Apr 25 2003 11:08 AM Re: My eyes hurt
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Yeah, that "eyeitis" thing kinda made me wonder. But, changing the contrast did seem to make it a little easier to read - perhaps TW has a point.

#169709 - Fri Apr 25 2003 11:56 AM Re: My eyes hurt
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I used to use a filter over my old screen, both in the office and at home but have dispensed with them since getting flat screens. They are brighter but they don't throw out the heat in the same way so the air is not so dry.

One of the reasons for asking about the make-up Linda is that you might wear it to the office but leave it off at home, like over Easter. Obviously not the answer for you but I haven't had stinging eyes since I changed back.

#169710 - Sat Apr 26 2003 02:49 PM Re: My eyes hurt
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Crossed fingers, at the moment mine don't. Have you considered Pollen! You might have an allergic reaction to one.

#169711 - Mon May 26 2003 07:03 AM Re: My eyes hurt
etartherat10 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Kentucky YSA
The computer is my life! I'm on it all of the time, even when I'm "supposed" to get off ^_^. I do basically everything on the computer. For some weird reason I have a habit of scanning my fan art. I'd tell you to take a break for awhile. Don't go on the computer for about a week or so and try not to watch too much TV ^_^. (I watch too much tv....)

#169712 - Mon May 26 2003 07:12 AM Re: My eyes hurt
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Very difficult when it is necessary for a person to use a computer all day in their work. I would love to see my boss's face if I told him that I wasn't going near a computer for a week, I am the network administrator.

#169713 - Mon May 26 2003 07:21 AM Re: My eyes hurt

NSW Australia
Sue, just tell him you are a Moderator in FunTrivia, and your eyes are only reserved for there...

#169714 - Mon May 26 2003 07:26 AM Re: My eyes hurt
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
I don't know about itching eyes but I am suffering from an itching right thumb recently. I use it so much during my working day, the zero, the arrow keys and the space bar - does anyone else have a problem with their right thumb itching and tingling?

#169715 - Mon May 26 2003 09:56 AM Re: My eyes hurt
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Yes - get your eyes checked! Just had mine done and apparently my right eye's prescription had a big change (went from wearing -5.75 contacts to -6.25).

Look away from your computer every so often.

A lot of people sit too close to their computers. I don't know about others, but my eyes cannot focus close up easily (my eye muscles have a hard time doing it), so I got myself a wireless keyboard and now sit about an 1.5 arm lengths away.

Editor for Television Category

#169716 - Mon May 26 2003 10:15 AM Re: My eyes hurt
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Obviously regulations and guidelines are different depending on your location but locally guidelines say that a person such as myself who is a heavy user of a screen (lots of print as I type html code) should leave the screen for 10 minutes in every hour.

When I have a task which will get me heavily involved I use a kitchen timer to alert me to leave my desk, most of my pages are not long but currently I am working on one which is over 100 pages of A4. The buzzer scares the life out of the rest of the staff and invariably someone runs to the interview room area as they think it is a panic alarm sounding but it adds spice to an otherwise uneventful day for them.

How are the eyes now Linda, any improvement?

#169717 - Wed Mar 23 2005 10:59 AM Re: My eyes hurt
Nemesis Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester
England UK     
There are special screens you can have that help filter out the flickering which can tire your eyes. Also as you are looking at something short distance you are constantly pulling tight the muscles in eye. which can make them sore and lose focus. its helpful if every now and then you look out of a window or something and try to look at the furthest point you can see. Its sort of like if you hold your arm outstretched for a while (that's like looking at the computer screen) and then lowering it (that's the looking at a distant object). Hope this helps, the other possibility is that you have an infection like a sty or sclaraitus (cant spell lol). I used to wake up with like a film over my eye and that was sclaraitus. Hope it helps!!

Edited by Nemesis (Fri May 12 2006 06:17 PM)

#169718 - Tue Apr 18 2006 08:23 AM Re: My eyes hurt
samycutie Offline
Learning the ropes...

About a month ago,I also had abit of blurriness in my eyes.I was talking to my aunt about this and she said her friend also used to have the same problem!She found this great solution.She told me,and i would like to tell you,to eat a few almonds with black pepper daily.Almonds and black pepper together are very good for the eyes.After a month my eyes were back to normal and i could see clearly again.Give it a try.i hope it helps!!

#169719 - Tue Apr 18 2006 09:21 AM Re: My eyes hurt
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Er, the query was dated three years ago. Linda1 doesn't visit the site now as far as I know, but thanks for the tip, it might help others.

#169720 - Fri Apr 28 2006 04:19 AM Re: My eyes hurt
Bossyboots Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Dorset England UK
You should most definitely call in at the opticians and get checked out. I had the same blurring, most noticeable at the computer screen. Went to the eye doc for a stronger pair of glasses and was told I had an early cataract clouding my vision. It does no harm to get eyes checked whenever there are problems....

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29