Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#170707 - Tue Jun 27 2006 11:14 AM Re: Over-rated Classics?
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
I know that Steely Dan wrote more than "Ricky Don't Lose That Number", I have the CDs to prove it. Why do I only hear "Ricky" on the radio? Somebody, please, remove Freebird from radio stations around the country. Please, do it for my sanity. That one and Old Time Rock N' Roll need to be taken away for our safety.

#170708 - Tue Jun 27 2006 04:37 PM Re: Over-rated Classics?
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
Try moving to Ohio . I really do/did like Ian Hunter but enough already with the initially rather enjoyable "Cleveland Rocks". Now that I think about it, too, I used to like Drew Carey. Overkill of both of them at once relegated them to the 'D' List in a hurry at my house.

#170709 - Tue Jun 27 2006 07:14 PM Re: Over-rated Classics?
IndieQueen Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
Ouch. I can't imagine hearing that one more than a few times. Cleveland wants us right now, I keep hearing commercials on the radio asking us to come for a visit. If they play "Cleveland Rocks" ad naseum, I think I'll stay put.

#170710 - Wed Jun 28 2006 01:15 AM Re: Over-rated Classics?
strnog1 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Anchorage Alaska USA         
The one song whose tremendous amount of airplay on classic rock stations I have never understood is Charlene's "I've Never Been to Me". Now I know that part of this song's popularity is Lars Ulrich's insistence that it be used as a staple in Metallica encores, sandwiched in-between "One" and "Enter Sandman"; it also doesn't hurt that the "electric" version played (in what has since become a legendary jam between Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Ruben Studdard at the Cow Palace) is considered to be the standard by which all other live performances are now judged, but enough is enough!

#170711 - Sun Jul 16 2006 03:14 AM Re: Over-rated Classics?
Lemmyrules Offline
Prolific

Loc: Texas USA
There was a time in the early 80s that I heard Charlene's "I've Never Been To Me" on both pop and C&W stations. I don't know why they played it on C&W stations since it's not a country song. But I couldn't get away from it, and I kept a bottle of Pepto-Bismol close by. I guess it's a blast for other acts to make fun of. It's a good pick when it comes to that.

#170712 - Thu Aug 24 2006 09:09 PM Re: Over-rated Classics?
darms Offline
Explorer

Loc: Austin, TX
May I suggest you go to Negativeland
and give these a listen? The very definition of ROTFLMAO...

#170713 - Thu Aug 24 2006 09:23 PM Re: Over-rated Classics?
darms Offline
Explorer

Take another listen if you do not mind, to "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", specifically listening to the bass line. Notice that it continually seems to descend the scale yet remains in the same key, in the very same octave even. Mathematicians call this a "Shepard function". I have played both "Whiter Shade" and written other songs based on the same concept. Amazing stuff.

About "Knights", however, (and most of the Moody's catalog, BTW) I must agree.

#170714 - Thu Aug 24 2006 09:33 PM Re: Over-rated Classics?
darms Offline
Explorer

Possibly, but I saw the Floyd themselves do this in a small auditorium at SMU in Dallas, TX, one night in 1972. It Blew Me Away.

BTW, some punk band here in Austin had a minor hit (1980?) with "Bored Stiff"...

#170715 - Fri Aug 25 2006 12:43 PM Re: Over-rated Classics?
jarsma63 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Michigan USA  
Here's one that I thought they played to death--and some horribly misguided people think is a "classic"
Dont Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin-every time I hear this song, I cringe.
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (1 Cor 13:13).

#170716 - Thu Dec 28 2006 09:29 PM Re: Over-rated Classics?
King01 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: West Virginia USA
Anything by Pink Floyd as previously stated, and anything by Guns 'N' Roses, "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffet...well just Jimmy Buffet in general.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher