Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#17555 - Thu Jan 31 2002 04:19 AM What's an ICQ
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I was recently asked by a website for an ICQ. I've got a fairly good IQ, but I din't know I had an ICQ.

#17556 - Thu Jan 31 2002 05:11 AM Re: What's an ICQ
Stephen Hoskins Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cheshire
You may not want to bother !

ICQ is a revolutionary, user-friendly Internet tool that informs you who's on-line at any time and enables you to contact them at will. No longer will you search in vain for friends or associates on the Net. ICQ does the searching for you, alerting you in real time when they log on. The need to conduct a directory search each time you want to communicate with a specific person is eliminated.

With ICQ, you can chat, send messages, files and URL's, play games, or just hang out with your fellow 'Netters' while still surfing the Net.

#17557 - Thu Jan 31 2002 06:15 AM Re: What's an ICQ
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa
Ontario Canada
*nods* I use ICQ all the time, because all my friends went to college in a different city. It's a cheap way to communicate compared to the telephone.

Depending on your circle of friends, satguru, you may be more familiar with AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) or MSN Messenger, which do the same thing as ICQ. I believe ICQ was the first of the bunch, but don't quote me on that. It is more likely just the one I HEARD OF first.

ICQ keeps track of its clients by issuing them each an individual number. You have a username as well, that you can change any time you want, but your ICQ number stays the same. The website you were at wanted you to give your ICQ number, so if other people at the site (I take it it was a social site?) who use ICQ wanted to contact you that way, they could.

ICQ doesn't stand for anything, really. But when you say it, it sounds kind of like "I seek you" which is kind of cute when you think about it.

btw, ICQ kicks AIM and MSN's butts!

#17558 - Thu Jan 31 2002 06:59 AM Re: What's an ICQ
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
So it's just a name like msn messenger, which I do use. I was searching a dating site (oh dear!), when I was asked for an ICQ which meant nothing to me at the time. Thanks everyone. For more trivia and company acronyms checkout my site abbreviations list.

Edited by satguru (Sat Dec 18 2004 08:28 PM)

#17559 - Thu Jan 31 2002 07:28 AM Re: What's an ICQ
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I tried to check out your website but the address is not complete and I got a 404 .... can we have the full URL?

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29