Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#175669 - Sat Jun 14 2003 11:06 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
mandelbrotset Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Riverside Chicago Illinois USA
Quote:

My admission would be that I own A 'Sparks' LP.

Hey, Sparks were great! Especially the first two albums. Same goes for The Tubes' first two albums. Remember them?

My "closet" music includes:
-- Gamelan music from Bali
-- Dance music from the 1600's
-- Early 1920's jazz bands
-- Indian pop and religious music and dance mixes

#175670 - Wed Jun 18 2003 02:11 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
skylarb Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Virginia USA
I was sure, for the last 26 years, that I hated country music. One day I just decided (or confessed?) that I liked it, and now I listen to it all the time. However, I have only gone so far as to buy one country album. (Well, not counting the classics like Johnny Cash, which I had before...)

Generally, I'm not ashamed of my musical tastes. I like what I like. But, if you ask what I've been mocked for listening to...that'd be Kingston Trio and Roger Miller. And, I have to confess, that as a Bob Dylan fan, I actually very much like his most detested album--Self Portrait. And I hate to say it--because of its subject matter/nature and my generally prudery--but my very favorite Joe Cocker song has to be "Leave Your Hat On."

#175671 - Tue May 23 2006 03:27 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
kvrgirl1 Offline
Participant

Loc: Washington State USA
Coolupway, thank you for bringing to mind one of my all time favorite albums from when I was growing up, "Here Comes Rhymin Simon" by, (duuhh!)Paul Simon. Haven't heard it in years and it had fallen in back of some dusty storage boxes way in the back of my so-called mind (which it rarely does, going off on its own without warning, ignoring my pleas for focus, attention etc. So annoying! Now where was I...) When you mentioned Graceland up Rhymin popped, sneezing a bit, and suggested a look-see online for downloadable tracks, and that is just what I am going to do!

#175672 - Tue May 23 2006 07:25 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
ktstew Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arkansas USA
Here's a list of stuff I love but other people snicker at me for -

The Carpenters
Benny Goodman
Henry Mancini
Glenn Miller
The Irish Rovers
Paul Simon
Johnny Mathis
Nat King Cole
Dean Martin
Amy Grant
most kinds of classical music

And, in the eighties, there was a one hit band called Boy Meets Girl , who recorded Waiting For A Star To Fall - which may be my favourite 'lite pop' tune of all time.

#175673 - Tue May 23 2006 09:50 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
quogequox Offline
Prolific

Loc: Adelaide SA Australia      
I have a Carpenters CD slotted next to my Clash collection. But hey, they're OK.
I bought the best of Buck's Fizz at a store one time and the girl I was with insisted on waiting outside during the transaction!!

#175674 - Fri May 26 2006 03:14 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
Schatten Offline
Participant

I dont really have any secret music likes, im open with what I like, I dont really have a reason to hide it, but I can see why some people do.

#175675 - Fri May 26 2006 09:37 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
Dragonkin Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oregon USA
My confession is that though I am a College Freshman, have loads of rocker friends, and am a rocker myself, I have an Irish Rovers CD and about 3 or 4 CDs of Sea Shanties. There, I've said it!

#175676 - Sat May 27 2006 06:24 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia 
I've got stashes that I keep away from my husband (Less he decide in favour of divorcing me for my musical taste), and they include the likes of:

Suzanne Vega, Oingo Boingo, Bucks Fizz, Depeche Mode, The Carpenters, ABBA, Max Q, Martika, Sheila E, Slade. Oooooh, the list just goes on, and on, and on.
I've got some great compilations that come out at parties, that my friends bag me for, but they know they love it!

#175677 - Sat May 27 2006 06:25 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

Oh - I forgot to add I own a Johnny Horton album - I think my husband had a very slight stroke when he saw that one.....

#175678 - Mon May 29 2006 07:41 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
kvrgirl1 Offline
Participant

Loc: Washington State USA
Corny Hawaiian hula songs, a la Don Ho sort of, like "Hapa Haole Hula Girl" "Pearly Shells" and "Lovely Hula Hands". I used to dance when I was a teenager in Samoa and Hawaii so now waves of nostalgia crash upon the brain coral of my mind when I hear "Beyond the Reef" Good grief!

#175679 - Thu Jun 01 2006 03:39 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
temujin777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Texas USA
ACe of base. Yeah i know. But some of that stuff was really catchy. and i am sucker for strong upbeats (some of those songs are almost very loose ska). Dont' worry though, i don't own any of their music, but i never told someone to turn it off either.

Oh yeah. And i was shocked to realize after 4 or 5 times that i enjoy that (pink panther) beyonce song from the pink panther movie. though what i really love is the video. haha.

If you look at my favs list on the other post, you will see these are nothing like my favorite groups, so it is quite odd for me to like these.

#175680 - Thu Jun 01 2006 03:43 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
temujin777 Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Here's a list of stuff I love but other people snicker at me for -

The Carpenters
Benny Goodman
Henry Mancini
Glenn Miller
The Irish Rovers
Paul Simon
Johnny Mathis
Nat King Cole
Dean Martin
Amy Grant
most kinds of classical music

And, in the eighties, there was a one hit band called Boy Meets Girl , who recorded Waiting For A Star To Fall - which may be my favourite 'lite pop' tune of all time.

wow i can't believe people snicker at ones like bennyy goodman, glenn miller, and some of those others. they are two of the most popular musicians in american music history.

AS for paul simon, i have been snickered at a couple times for him--but i pity those people:) cause man, he is one of the greatest ever as far as i am concerned.

#175681 - Thu Jun 01 2006 06:39 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Since I have excellent taste, everything I like is automatically "good". And if you don't agree that Jim Reeves and Bing Crosby are good, well, "pity da fool", so there.

#175682 - Sun Jun 04 2006 04:47 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
ecnalubma Offline
Prolific

I'm with you, agony! I love my music (hey, I paid for it, right), and I do own some classic stuff. Some of it is downright funny (depending upon how much I've had to drink) and some of it is just plain sad, but it is all good!

#175683 - Tue Jun 06 2006 12:20 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
SillyLily Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Tennessee USA
Umm...I kinda like The Pussycat Dolls' new song "Buttons" Please don't tell my best friend; she'll have me beheaded! (That or I'll just die of shame...)

#175684 - Tue Jun 06 2006 03:44 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I love the old crooners like Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin (especially Dean), Al Martino, Englebert Humperdink. Everytime I hear one of them I think of my mom. But lately I've actually downloaded a few...dare I say it... rap songs for my Ipod. Not one of those nasty ones that's all curse words, but a few that have a nice beat. I also like Shakira very much. And mind you, I'm a die-hard rock fan.

#175685 - Tue Jun 06 2006 06:36 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
bionic4ever Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Chocolate City Wisconsin�USA
Ok, ok - David Cassidy. (Hanging my head in shame!) I have 2 or 3 of his albums and, I think, 4 from the Partridge Family. I also like show tunes, especially the older, classic musicals.

#175686 - Sat Aug 12 2006 10:11 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
libgurl2002 Offline
Participant

I love that one song that has those restaurant names in it. You know, "McDonald's, McDonald's, Kentucky Fried Chicken and the Pizza Hut". What is the name of that song? Can someone tell me, please? Thanks.

Edited by libgurl2002 (Sat Aug 12 2006 10:14 AM)

#175687 - Mon Aug 28 2006 07:31 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
prof_electro Offline
Explorer

Loc: Reno Nevada USA          
I admit it, you pulled it out of me!

I am well versed in "classical" music. Being a composer and pianist that has attained advanced mediocrity.

My secret....... 'Bad To The Bone' (George Thorogood and the Destroyers) and 'Pour Me' (Trick Pony). [Gulp]

#175688 - Mon Aug 28 2006 08:18 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
jarsma63 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Michigan USA  
Oh, I can't believe I'm even going to say this...Barry Manilow, along with Disco and Sir Elton John. Ten years ago you couldn't pay me to listen to these, and now I've CD's a plenty.
Swore I was a rocker thru and thru--but as I get older I really started to appreciate this stuff. Guess the dementia is kicking in.
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love (1 Cor 13:13).

#175689 - Tue Aug 29 2006 02:08 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
mnbates Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Southport, Lancashire, England
I am on record as hating dance and
(c)rap but have two tracks by Run DMC, a track by Faithless and 2 by Massive Attack and 3 by Morcheeba (hangs head in shame). I will admit to liking most other forms of music everything from early classical by Dunstable, Tallis etc to current punk like The Kaiser Chiefs. My collection (over 6 thousand tracks) includes many of the people mentioned so far and I keep finding new ones like The Austin Lounge Lizards, Dash Rip Rock and The Hush Sound.
I still like things such as Noel Coward singing 'Mad About the Boy' or Spike Jones with 'Cocktails for Two'. The ECT and the lithium don't work "I'd rather stay here with all the madmen, than perish with the sadmen running free".

Regards,

Tin

#175690 - Sun Sep 03 2006 03:20 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
Lemmyrules Offline
Prolific

I hated Frank Sinatra when I was a kid. I've had his 3-disc CD set of "The Capitol Years" for some time now. Can't make it very often anymore, without a spin of the stereo version of "Angel Eyes". There's lots of other good tracks as well.

#175691 - Tue Sep 26 2006 11:20 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
jaydoyle Offline
Learning the ropes...

I CANT GET LONDON BRIDGE OUTTA my HEAD. ITS so cathcy. i found a funny version on m30.ca/Fergie/Dutchess.html. its like james bond or something

#175692 - Tue Sep 26 2006 11:31 AM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
Terry Offline
Head Honcho

Loc: USA
I went to a Spice Girls concert.

#175693 - Tue Sep 26 2006 12:45 PM Re: 'Fess Up: Music You Secretly Like!
skunkee Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Oh my Terry - that's quite a confession!
I saw the Backstreet Boys, but only because I was taking my kids. The screaming was unbelievable. The kids sitting beside me actually brought a whistle. After a couple of glares from me she didn't use it very much.
We tried to get tickets for Spice Girls, but couldn't.
We saw an imitation Spice Girl band (I think they're called tribute bands), does that count?
My daughter looked at me with huge eyes and said "I know it's not really them, but I think that it's them!"

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher