Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#178468 - Sun Jun 15 2003 08:11 PM And you thought your parents were weird...
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
Our parents do some strange things. Some of my fondest memories are of the silly things my father would do. What did your parents, or the people who brought you up, do that makes you laugh whenever yout hink about it?

My dad, he is a great big ham. We would be in the middle of a store and he would start singing the song that was on the PA REALLY loud.

He also loved to do magic tricks and baffle his "audience". One time he put some powder that turns liquid into a gel like substance into a coffee sweetner packet and went to the local coffee store. He then made a big deal of making himself a coffee with 'sugar' in it. As he walked out he pretended to trip, and miraculously not spill a drop of the drink, even when he turned the cup upside down (it was pretty cool because the coffee still steamed even though it was in a gellike state).

When we just stayed in he would play the guitar for us, songs like Goober Peas, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Rocky Raccoon, and The Motorcycle Song (The Significance of the Pickle).

#178469 - Sun Jun 15 2003 08:24 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia
My father used to play football when he was younger (an overlooked superstar, according to him), and tried to prove his athleticism to we kids one day.

His 'trick' was to stand beside a table, and jump vertically onto it. I saw him do this many times, until the final time. He managed to hit the table-edge with his shins and landed flat on his face on the table. Needless to say, he does not do this anymore

We children were in awe of his ability, and just wish that 'Funniest Home Videos' was invented way back then...

Ex-Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#178470 - Sun Jun 15 2003 10:10 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Poor coolcat90 is stuck with really weird parents (Maynooth and MotherGoose). Maynooth is particularly embarrassing.

One day we were taking her to school, along with her best friend and best friend's little brother. It had been raining and there were puddles everywhere. Tyson was having a great time jumping in all the puddles and getting soaked. As we entered the school, I said "Tyson, stop doing that".

Maynooth promptly jumped in the nearest puddle, looked at me and said "It's a guy thing". However, as he said it, his feet slipped out from under him and he landed SPLAT - flat on his back in the puddle - in front of the entire school. I laughed till I cried.

Maynooth just lay there, looked thoughtful and said "You know, if I could figure out a way to do this and not get hurt, I could make money at this" (thus speaks the professional children's entertainer!)

#178471 - Mon Jun 16 2003 05:11 AM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
My mum was usually quite well behaved (except when she wore a hat to Parents'Evening) . But she always had me in hysterics when we were walking home from town, or school (quite a distance) She played "the next one's yours", or "I don't like yours much" (declaiming it in the loudest possible voice, or so it seemed to me , as the poor fellows walked towards us.) I always got the weirdest looking blokes , of course, and she got the handsome ones.
I had an uncle who used to take me out to golf, to caddy for him on Sunday mornings. We always ended up in the pub garden . I had to shout down the length of the garden : "Uncle! Uncle!". This was because he didn't want the "Pretty maids"(he was Cornish) to think he was my Dad.

#178472 - Mon Jun 16 2003 05:30 AM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
I didn't have problems with my parents but I think my children would say that I am the ultimate in embarrassing mothers.

1. At pantomimes who can boo the loudest at the baddy? Finally they decided to stop allowing me to take them, they couldn't stand it, they never booed.

2. Walking along the street mothers should NOT blow up balloons, especially when the children are beyond the age of 10.

3. Mothers ought not dress as clowns, spray their hair bright blue and wear face paints when attending a school 'bring and buy' sale, especially when all the other mothers are dressed in their smartest clothes.

4. Mother ought not invite the wrath of the school principal by sitting in the front row knitting at PTA meetings.

5. 'Rather large' mothers ought not sunbathe in the skimpiest bikini they can find.

I am sure if I asked my children they could come up with many more reasons that they wish they weren't mine.

#178473 - Mon Jun 16 2003 07:09 AM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel
I know it's not very nice of me, and it's not really my parents' fault, but there's nothing more embarrassing than having parents who can't speak the language of the country you're living in properly, have horrible accents, and keep on confusing male and female. To this day my sisters and I cringe whenever my mother opens her mouth to speak Hebrew.

#178474 - Mon Jun 16 2003 09:49 AM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
At least she is trying to speak the language, I visit countries and just speak louder in a sort of broken English, if they still don't understand me I shout - typically British.

We have many people here (where I live) who do not speak English, it is quite a handicap for them as they need an interpreter with them in many situations.

Which language do you all speak in the home? If it is not Hebrew perhaps you should just make a point of speaking only in Hebrew to them as a means of assisting them (after discussing it with them).

#178475 - Mon Jun 16 2003 10:21 AM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
snm Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Israel
God, no. I am mentally incapable of speaking Hebrew to someone I am used to speaking English to (and vice versa). I sometimes find myself holding entire conversations in which I speak one language and the person I'm talking to speaks the other language.

#178476 - Mon Jun 16 2003 10:26 AM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
SOTHC Offline

Loc: Aylesford Kent England UK    
From experience that appears to be quite common between husbands and wives, snm.

#178477 - Mon Jun 16 2003 03:46 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
A Member Offline
Multiloquent

Loc:  
Hey I've finally noticed that the "white tights" are actually the plumes on the helmet- nothing to do with the thread!!!!!!!!

#178478 - Tue Jun 17 2003 06:20 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
magpie8 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ottawa Canada           
God, I love my parents dearly, and I have even more of an appreciation for them as I get older, but my dad definitely embarrassed me as a teen. However, he did it deliberately!

In high school, when my brother and I were waiting at the bus stop with the other kids, he'd drive by and honk his horn, make his car 'dance', open the window and flail his arms around, yell 'Heeeeeelllloooo Susie!' in a weird accent, make crazy sounds and faces, then drive away. Sometimes he'd get a few feet from the stop, put the car in reverse and do it again. He found this hilarious, for some reason. I, on the other hand, most decidedly did not.

My mom was less embarrassing, though once she did show up at my high school unannounced. Apparently, my brother had taken my dad's car keys by accident, and he couldn't get to work. So she jumped in a cab, in her bathrobe, fur coat, winter boots and no makeup (she always wore makeup), and headed to my school. I was chatting with friends, and turned around to see her. I was mortified, and so--being fifteen--simply pretended she was NOT my mom. I refused to talk to her and walked away quickly. One of my friends had the decency to go find my brother for her. My poor mother--I still feel bad about that.

#178479 - Wed Jun 18 2003 04:16 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
Coolupway Offline
Prolific

My mom is very picky about her pronunciations. VERY picky. And it can be embarrassing.

There is a marvelous seafood place, facing the Hudson River, at which I often meet my parents with my wife and kids. This place has the BEST seafood bisque I have ever had, and I order that whenever it's on the menu anywhere.

The problem is that my mom insists on pronouncing it "BEESK." My kids find this incredibly funny, and oftentimes my wife and I have trouble keeping a straight face. In fairness to my mom, we pointed it out to her and now she makes a joke out of it.

My mom is with Islingtonian on the "mime" issue-- she loathes them. However, she insists on pronouncing the word "MEEM", which would be fine in Paris but occasionally raises eyebrows stateside. She's also big on "ON-DEEV" for endive. Again, great in Marseille, but occasionally good for a laugh in NOO YAWK.

When I was a pup my Dad was prone to walk around in his boxer shorts even when I had friends about, which was mildly embarrassing. However, I soon lost my "cringe" about that, as when I was about ten I was at a friend's house when his dad, a very successful lawyer, strode out of the bathroom dripping wet and STARK NAKED. I did not know where to look. To this day I still remember the man saying "Hi, son" to me as though this were the most natural thing in the world

By complete coincidence, in his later years this gentleman was taken on as a partner at a firm at which my wife worked, and against which I had a number of cases. And of course, all I could think of whenever I saw him at the place was "Hi, son."

#178480 - Wed Jun 18 2003 04:51 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
Lanni Offline
Prolific

Loc: Brooklyn New York USA  
Doug, your mother sounds a lot like a teacher I had in high school.

My teacher also had a habit of pronouncing words like "advertisement" and "lavatory" how I'd imagine the British pronounce them. She was always nagging on everyone about pronouncing these words, not differently, but incorrectly.

For a while I thought that perhaps she was French and was taught English by someone British, or perhaps a Brit herself.

I almost fell out of my chair when I heard she was born and raised in Flatbush.

One thing both of my parents have in common is the way they speak.

Answering their questions is like solving riddles sometimes because they incorporate so many proverbs and quotes in their conversations.

They are getting better though time, but a lot of my earlier memories of going out with them is of translating for whoever they were speaking to at the moment.

It's funny now, but was at times embarrassing then.

#178481 - Thu Jun 19 2003 05:48 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
StoryTyler Offline
Explorer

Loc: California USA
I can remember, as a child, being absolutely MORTIFIED in restaurants when my mother would dip her napkin in her glass of water, and use it to clean her hands/fingers.

Of course, I do that myself now, and giggle about it every time.

My mom's one of a kind - I never know what to expect from her. Last year, she decided it would be cool (she's 76, mind) to put a bunch of bullethole stickers on her oh-so-respectable forest green Volvo station wagon.

She thought it was so cool, she sent some stickers to me and told me to put them on my (purple) station wagon.

Now, 20 yrs ago, I would have refused and considered my mother certifiable. Today, I have six bullethole stickers on my (purple) station wagon.

#178482 - Thu Jun 19 2003 06:26 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Boca Raton
Florida USA  
Gawd...
My dad is weird and embarrasing. If I posted (or were even allowed to) half of the things he did to me as a child, I think I would raise a few eyebrows.
One thing he used to do (in malls especially), when I was in grade school, is point at every girl that walked by and say loud enough to be speaking over a pager, "Hey, Mike... She's a Ten! Why don't you go over there and ask to buy her a soda."
It is amazing that I can even drink soda with the memories of how many times that occurred.
I am not even going to think about posting what he did when I was in high school and brought girl friends home

#178483 - Thu Jun 19 2003 06:27 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

I'd love to tell you some of the really weird things my mother does but I don't dare - she sometimes visits this site!

#178484 - Thu Jun 19 2003 06:32 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
superferd Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Boca Raton
Florida USA  
Quote:

I'd love to tell you some of the really weird things my mother does but I don't dare - she sometimes visits this site!

If they were things that mortified you, turnabout is fair play

#178485 - Thu Jun 19 2003 06:58 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

If coolcat90 posts anything here, don't believe her! (LOL)

#178486 - Sat Jun 28 2003 09:31 AM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Channel Islands    
Confession time, at this moment in time I have blue and yellow striped hair (on my natural base of white). I was at a 'community day' on a social housing estate today (quite a deprived area) and a woman was spraying the children's hair in pretty colours so being the sort of person that I am (slightly mad) I told her that she could spray mine and as our corporate colours are blue and yellow... She then took a photo of me and said that she will email it though to my office!

I left the activities at about 3.30 as it had been a long day and I needed to visit the supermarket to buy food - yes I did, and I got some very strange looks. When I arrived home my male next door neighbour called to me wanting to know which football team I was supporting.

I just hope it washes out without staining. It is just as well my children are not home, they would disown me all over again. Oh, and to complete the colour scheme, my face is rather a pleasant shade of pink/red as it was very sunny and I forgot to take any protection.

#178487 - Mon Jun 07 2004 09:39 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
This is one of my favorite threads, wanted to bring it up for our newer members.

#178488 - Thu May 18 2006 10:48 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

I thought I'd bring this up for some of our newer members to see.

I don't think my mum comes here any more so I'll take a risk and say that my mother always embarrassed me with her laugh. It was so LOUD - you could hear her laugh all the way down the street.

#178489 - Fri May 19 2006 06:58 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
mandelbrotset Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Riverside Chicago Illinois USA
My mother used to bring home homeless, troubled teenage boys that she met in the local laundromat to live with us until they worked out their family problems. At first I found this embarrasing but soon I became the envy of all my girlfriends because I had so many cute guys staying at my house, so I later thought it was cool. This was during the late 60's so even though that might seem weird in this day and age, in the "hippie" age it was actually quite acceptable.

#178490 - Fri May 19 2006 07:39 PM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
daekael Offline
Participant

Loc: NSW, Australia
Whilst my parents are quite normal they can sometimes wear clothing that I wouldn't even give to the Smith Family (charity).

My dad thinks nothing of wearing stubbies (short shorts) and a t-shirt... no shoes and hair+beard which desperately needs a cut up the street to get the groceries (he will wear a jumper and ugg boots with this arrangement during winter).

And my mother thinks nothing of wearing a sombrero to protect herself from the sun. Now whilst I have nothing against the sombrero it is not exactly something which goes with the rest of what she wears.

And the most embarassing thing mum ever did to us children?

My sister and I changed schools when we were 7 and 10 respectively(in the mid 80's). We had to go and do tests and also meet our prospective class mates. For some reason our good clothes were all dirty, so she whipped out some dresses that my older sister had worn when she was our age. Unfortunately my sister was 10 years older and therefore she made us wear clothing to meet our new peers which was at least a decade old (and daggy to begin with).

One of my friends actually comented on that day later on in life saying she thought I was going to be a total oddball when she first saw me... Thank goodness Australians have to wear uniforms...

Although even that can go wrong.....

#178491 - Sat May 20 2006 12:29 AM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
When I was a teenager and anytime we had a family outing, my dad would drive by the local teen hang-out with me, totally mortified, hiding on the floor in the backseat while he and mom would be laughing and waving at my friends.

#178492 - Sat May 20 2006 04:08 AM Re: And you thought your parents were weird...
ren33 Offline

Loc: Kowloon Tong  Hong Kong      
My mum was the most elegant dresser. She was a great dressmaker, and so would wear copies of , for instance Dior's New Look complete with picture hat. I used to be mortified when she turned up at school for Parents Day dressed like Vogue magazine.
There is a story that, at aged three, I was out with her in a mini sized copy of her dress(frock), we met a friend who said something fatuous about we looked like twins,or something and I lifted Mum's skirt high and said "Yes, but my Mummy doesn't have knickers to match like I do". I was ever a rebel...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943